Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Day Four without a cigarette

Fuck... the pull of an addiction is a physical thing... I am crrraaaaaaaaaving a cigarette right now. Man. But it's been four days. I might have been a moron for going cold turkey but it just happened because I had a chest cold and I couldn't smoke... I've been meaning to quit... now I basically have... it's ugly... it stinks... nobody fun smokes any more.... so I'm cold turkey.

Fuck, the craving is painful but fantastic at the same time. This is yearning! It will pass. Glass of whatever.

Fuck, why did I ever smoke to begin with.

Wish me bad luck, bitches, it'll steel my resolve.

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013

I like turtles.

by Anonymousreply 111/21/2012

Good luck. You can do it!

by Anonymousreply 211/21/2012

Good for you. The first 48 hours are the hardest.

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2012

Actually for me, it seems to be 72 and 96.... but I am gritting my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 411/21/2012

just celebrated 13 months cigarette free. after 26 years of being a smoker. and did it cold turkey. the first week is the hardest. you're doing fine. next time you pass someone on the street or subway or in public that smells like a cigarette, stand by them for a while. It's so disgusting, it will only add to your reserve. that's how I did it. good luck man.

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2012

It's rough, but you can do it. I'm going on 5 years without a puff and I can't believe I ever managed it.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2012

OP, if I can do it you can.

I quit pretty much the same way after 28 years. I didn't bother with nicotine replacement. Its been 7 months now. It's hard it's horrible at times, but it's going to be worth it.

Youre looked down on like you are trash here in California if you smoke.

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2012

Get an e-cig

by Anonymousreply 811/21/2012

Coming up to two years for me, OP. I can't believe it, since my will isn't all that strong. I used the patch. For the first year, I still had cravings. Smell of someone else smoking would interest me. Now? No. Not a great smell.

I can't believe it. I smoked for close to 20 years. I knew that I couldn't continue past 40, and finally tried again at 38. I tried a few times before, but it never lasted. If I can do it, you can too.

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2012

You can do it.

Don't go back or you will have to go thru it all again.

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2012

Just remember:

Tobacco is a filthy weed

and from the devil it proceeds

It stains your fingers and burns your clothes

And makes a chimney of your nose

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

Nicotine replacement fails 95% of the time because most people who smoke need the MAOIs in tobacco. Get an e-cigarette and Whole Tobacco Alkaloid juice.

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2012

Cold turkey is the way to do it. More people have success quitting that way than any other. Nicotine patches, etc. just foster the nicotine dependence further.

You're doing great! Keep it up!

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2012

I'll be seeing you in a couple days!

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2012

Please, Virginia, if I'm gonna fall I'm going down on the Marlboro Man.

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2012

I recommend going on a nearly psychotic cleaning binge. The smoke lingers in your clothes, upholstery, walls... it's everywhere and you can't smell it yet because you're not far enough away from the little fucksticks. Clean clean clean, air out your place/vehicle and get a fragrance plug-in or something.

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

I'm an ex-smoker for about three years now. Every once in a while I get an overwhelming feeling like, "Damn! I'd love to have just one cig right now!!!" But the sensation soon passes.

by Anonymousreply 1711/22/2012

Your brain just needs time to re-wire itself. Every time you resist an urge, you get stronger and stronger. An urge lasts less than 15 minutes I think - next time, time it and see! In a few years, you will say "I can't believe I used to smoke!"

by Anonymousreply 1811/22/2012

Best of luck, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1911/22/2012

Great job :) Keep at it-just know you're doing the best for you and the people/pets in your life. You'll feel so much better once you beat your addiction. Stay strong and best wishes and luck with it :D

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

Just jerk off when you get the urge to smoke, OP. It will distract you.

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

good work. It gets easier. The cravings lessen and vanish. I haven't smoked in years. Now sometimes i have what i'd call 'curiosity' but it's nothing like the cravings after you first stop.

What helped me was i kept telling myself every time i smoked I was giving $ to the extreme right wing via the tobacco companies. Also tell yourself you're NOT a smoker anymore. Next time a craving hits say it: I'm NOT a smoker anymore. One last thing: find things to distract yourself. Anything. Something constructive (like cleaning, mentioned above) is good. Clean. Do laundry. Make lists. Buy groceries. Whatever. When you can distract yourself the cravings ease up some.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

good luck. it took me about a month to get it out of me, and then six months to feel completely okay with smoking around me and me not.

by Anonymousreply 2311/22/2012

If you're a cute guy, would giving you a spanking help?

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2012

How you going OP, if you have made it this far you have done a brilliant job

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2012

[quote]next time you pass someone on the street or subway or in public that smells like a cigarette, stand by them for a while. It's so disgusting, it will only add to your reserve. that's how I did it.

THIS is why ex-smokers make it so hard for the rest of us! I'm afraid to quit. I know if I'll quit, I'll get cancer just like Larry Hagman!

by Anonymousreply 2611/24/2012

I second r24, spankings can be very therapeutic

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012

r26 Continuing to smoke doesn't prevent cancer..?

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012

Hope you're still at it, OP. I quit a year ago. Yes, the craving drove me crazy the first few weeks; worse, I was an evil bitch to friends and family. Eventually, both passed and now I rarely think about a cigarette. I still think about being a bitch to my family all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2911/24/2012

I quit 8 months ago. I had a horrible case of the flu and could barely breathe. I was so sick that the first week or two was easy from a withdrawal standpoint. Once I was over the flu, I quit drinking for a couple of months so I wouldn't be tempted to smoke. Whenever I'm tempted to smoke (which is rare), I think of all the money I'm saving - $15 a pack here in NYC. Also, the health thing is a real deterrent for me. I have asthma so I was a total idiot to smoke as long as I did.

Good luck, OP. You can do it!

by Anonymousreply 3011/24/2012

Hey, at least you get to eat!

by Anonymousreply 3111/24/2012

Someone said it before, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Go through the house and get rid of all ashtrays and lighters NOW PRONTO! Air out closets and send your good cloths to the cleaners NOW. Rewash all your underwear, shirts, and jeans and use fabric softener. Keep the windows open as much as you can and if you have furniture covered in cloth, rent a steam-n-vac and CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. It's what got me through a particularly rough patch 5 days into it.

by Anonymousreply 3211/24/2012

OP If I could do it so can you!

I never thought I'd be able to quit after 20 years of smoking a pack a day.

In fact,cigarettes were my protection - they gave me time to punctuate my sentences,they were an insulating barrier between myself and others,and it passed the time - just like addictive personalities and their smart phones today.

But here's an idea.

Start a bank account and religiously deposit whatever you would have spent in cigarettes into that account.

I'm in Canada and a carton of smokes in my province is about $105. I always bought by the pack so this year I put $10.00 a day in to the bank. $3,500 a year now goes in to that account and I quit in 1991.

(Yes I'm an eldergay - but I'm aliiiiiive and I feel great!!)

by Anonymousreply 3311/24/2012

Roll a joint and enjoy! I quit a two pack a day habit that way. Couldn't stand the taste of cigs after a joint. Quit cold turkey 30 years ago. Cigarettes cause cancer and it turns out that cannabis may be an effective anti cancer drug. Also, there was no way I was going to spend 55 cents a pack!

by Anonymousreply 3411/24/2012

Were you a crazy, rambling mess before you quit?

by Anonymousreply 3511/24/2012

Hang in there!! I exercised more when quitting, which kept me busy and had the added benefit of stopping weight gain. I am pulling for you! There are so many people who need you and need you stay healthy.

by Anonymousreply 3611/24/2012

Hang on pal, you are ALMOST there! You'll know when you realize you haven't thought of a cigarette at a time when you usually would (like after dinner.) In the meantime, stay away from smokers. In fact, you should probably cut them off too.

Finally, you must never, never smoke anything again. (Be very careful when drinking.) Not even a puff. It will drag you right back where you were.

by Anonymousreply 3711/24/2012

So .... progress report? We were pulling for you y'know.

by Anonymousreply 3811/29/2012

Hi... still smoke free... it's not that hard... which is to say the cravings/desire are still mondo outta control brutally seductively fuck me harder yes yes strong.

But they surface far less often and I am still smoke free. I think it's two weeks today. Or maybe three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3911/29/2012

Don't give up, if you go back you're gonna git a spankin.

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2012

Today it has been 3 months, 1 week and 2 days, and I have NOT smoked : 2022 cigarettes!

That's a pack a day.

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2012

After the amount of cigarettes you haven't smoked, I wish you would calculate and add the amount of dollars you have saved.

THAT is what made me continue to not smoke.

Congrats of the highest order to you for sticking it out. I haven't smoked in years and years and I hate saying this, but the desire to have "just one" has never, ever left me. I know I can't, but I loved smoking and I know I would pick up right where I left off all those years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2012

I totally failed. It has never been harder. Maybe I'm not up to cold turkey. (Maybe... rolls eyes.) Any suggestions on supported means? I want to do it, I know I should do it, but I failed totally.

by Anonymousreply 4312/15/2012

It often takes several attempts to reach a final cessation, OP.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4412/15/2012

[quote]it's not that hard... which is to say the cravings/desire are still mondo outta control brutally seductively fuck me harder yes yes strong... totally failed. It has never been harder.

Hardly failed, OP. I can't speak for anyone else, but you sure turned me on.

by Anonymousreply 4512/15/2012

STOP FUCKING TALKING ABOUT IT, OP!

Get a life beyond smoking. Is that all you are, a smoker?

There's no addiction other than physical habit. Find something else to do with your time other than standing around on sidewalks thinking you're actually doing something by smoking.

STOP COUNTING, STOP TALKING ABOUT IT. STOP TELLING PEOPLE. MOVE ON.

by Anonymousreply 4612/15/2012

It's absurd to ignore the psychological aspects of any "habit," R46.

by Anonymousreply 4712/15/2012

OP, suck it up and get a scrip for Xyban.

by Anonymousreply 4812/15/2012

I started using an e-cigarette last Sunday. Haven't had a real one since then.

by Anonymousreply 4912/15/2012

Good for you, OP. Some things that helped me were getting up from the table and brushing my teeth as soon as I finished eating, and eating a piece of fruit whenever I felt any kind of craving. Having that kind of clean, fresh taste in your mouth is helpful.

After the initial 5-7 day physical detox, I was taught to ask myself what I was feeling that I could afford to feel. That got me through the habit phase of withdrawal.

by Anonymousreply 5012/15/2012

r50 - the OP relapsed. read r43.

by Anonymousreply 5112/15/2012

He'll be back, R51.

by Anonymousreply 5212/15/2012

Thanks, R51. I usually read all replies on threads. In this one I got fed up with the smokers/trolls and I quit reading.

by Anonymousreply 5312/15/2012

When I was in rehab for booze, every addict in the joint said cigs were the worst addiction to kick. And these were heroin junkies and meth heads. So, if you do kick cigs and want to jump addictions to hard drugs, you'll always know you have the mettle to kick those drugs too!

by Anonymousreply 5412/15/2012

[quote]Start a bank account and religiously deposit whatever you would have spent in cigarettes into that account.

This! I've been tobacco-free for ten years now, after an almost 20-year addiction, and I still can't believe how much more money I have at my disposal.

Cold turkey wasn't the way for me at all. I had to wear the patch for months, but it worked.

by Anonymousreply 5512/15/2012

You're never going to be able to maintain it, OP. Just give it up and start smoking again.

by Anonymousreply 5612/15/2012

OP you really should listen to the people who tell you to switch to ecigs.

There is no easier way to quit than going to vaping instead. It satisfies the both the hand to mouth exhaling ritual aspect, and completely takes away the physical desire to smoke so you don't relapse.

I quit smoking with them and it was absurdly easy, I wish I had done it earlier.

by Anonymousreply 5703/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.