Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I was supposed to travel to SF for Thanksgiving and I just bailed.

I called and admitted I was just too tired and didn't want to leave home. I know my mother would have liked for me to be there, but it's so much traveling for just a dinner. With only one missing, I shouldn't be greatly missed. I really like having the long weekend to rest up. My cat hates being up there as she doesn't get along with the other cats. I think this is the best solution.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012

Your cat? Why don't you just leave it at home?

Are you traveling from the northeast?

by Anonymousreply 111/21/2012

[quote]My cat hates being up there

R1, he's clearly driving. Which makes his bailing out just because he's "tired" even more pathetic. Don't be such a fucking pussy, OP! (and speaking of pussies, leave your cat AT HOME when you go on trips like this)

by Anonymousreply 211/21/2012

You're so rebellious!

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2012

Pack your cat into a glorious hatbox and board a train.

by Anonymousreply 411/21/2012

Enjoy your stay home. Sometimes, you just need a break.

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2012

Guilt is a choice. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2012

Don't mind me, I'll just sit in the corner back here eating wet cigarette butts.

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2012

Should have lied and said you were coming down with something.

by Anonymousreply 811/21/2012

r8, I disagree.

His honesty now could be remembered and referenced for another much worse family situation he wants to avoid in the future.

A hideous yuppie frau wedding, or Christmas could potentially be much worse.

"No, I really have had stomach flu the past few days-I'm so weak I can hardly stand. I was honest at Thanksgiving when I just didn't want to come"

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2012

Is home Oakland?

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2012

OP here, I live in southern CA and I was intending to drive north. It's a 6 hour drive, but often 9 hrs, when holiday traffics keeps you in LA for 3hrs. My cat always goes where go or we both stay home. I used to fly up, but the cat's ticket has become more expensive than my own, so I drive most often. In future, I'll leave one car permanently at my mother's and that way I can fly and have a car to use without possibly inconveniencing anyone. I know there are rental, but if there's game or some other attraction in town, the rates are astronomical for 4 or 5 days.

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

East Palo Alto

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2012

I don't blame you OP. I-5 from the Grapevine on up to 580 through the Altamint is an asswhip the day before thanksgiving. Glad I don't do this shit anymore. Though I-95 from Richmond VA to DC is not much better.

Go eat with some friends or go to a restaurant open tha day, call mom to tell her happy thanksgiving and have some me time and have no fuck to give what people think.

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2012

OP, don't feel guilty. Your situation sounds perfectly reasonable. Your mother will understand; that's what moms do. I successfully bailed out of TWO THanksgiving dinners at my brothers: roast beef Thanksgiing Day and big dinner: turkey and ham - Sat after, to accomodate my sister-inlaw's numerous relaties. At 12:00 noon, yet(!) I said I don't feel well - have slight mental and some physical issues - and they both understood (or SAID they do, hee-hee!) I wlil spend Thanksgiing with several other disabled pepole in my HUD housing building; is free and no one will COMMENT ON HOW MUCH I"m EATING!!

(yes, there comes the real reason.) I'm hugely fat and have been trying hard to lose weight; am NOT going to go crazy on Thanksgiving, but I need peace and quiet. Brother is only 5 miles away so isn't a traffic issue, but I bailed once or twice over the years with my aunt; same issue: NONSTOP comments on my weight. No, nothing good abou being overweight, but people don't realize: sometimes the more they (family, I mean) comment, the more it makes one want to eat.

Sorry to sidetrack about ME and my weight issues! Your reasons sound much more sensible. And "cats are people, too" - if you know what I mean!

I salute you, OP

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2012

For the OP.

by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2012

OP, you're a horribly selfish person.

by Anonymousreply 1811/22/2012

[quote] Do you fucking drive home at lunch to make sure Miss Sissyboodles has some company?!?

R17 is so right. But this bit is fucking hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 1911/22/2012

[quote]My cat always goes where go or we both stay home.

That's beyond ridiculous. Cats are very independent animals. And they can take care of themselves. They're FINE on their own for up to three days, as long as you set out extra food and water. Seriously.

If you're just going to be gone over-night, then it's beyond ridiculous to take your cat.

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

OP, don't listen to the cat haters and don't feel guilty. Everyone knows what a pain it is to travel at Thanksgiving. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your mother and you see her regularly. Your mother will understand;

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

You do realize I'm going to die eventually?

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

Reality is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 2311/23/2012

Thanksgiving was so depressing with several relatives getting older and complaining about their failing health non-stop. I'm sympathetic, but it's just getting to be too much for one day.

by Anonymousreply 2411/23/2012

As much as Thanksgiving is an emotional minefield, Christmas is 10-times worse, with all the chaos of shopping for presents. Now that I'm old (almost 50), the holiday means a lot less to me. I'd rather spend time at a restaurant, having a nice dinner and having people wait on me.

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

OP means from LA to the Bay Area. Real San Franciscans do not move to LA; it just isn't done. Like New Englanders not wearing white shoes after Labor Day.

But kudos to the OP for not travelling by any means btwn LA-Bay Area this holiday. That would rank up there with being trampled at Wallmart on Black Friday.

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012

OP here, I love San Francisco, but I prefer living at the beach here in Southern CA. I enjoy returning to the City, but it's so disastrously different from the times of my childhood. I could never live there again. It looks the same, but (to me) San Francisco is just a shell of its former greatness and world pre-eminence.

I know you young guys could never know what something was like before you were born, so enjoy what's left, I'm sure it's better than anything place else you may have lived.

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012

I have to agree with the 'taking your cat with you makes you a nutjob' contingent on here. Jeez, your freaking cat would probably love to have a day off on their own without having to fulfil your weird dependency needs.

by Anonymousreply 2811/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!