Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

THEATRE GOSSIP #101: "Turkey Lurkey Time" Edition!

It's Turkey Lurkey Time! "Scandalous," "The Performers," "Dead Accounts," "Annie," "The Heiress" and next up - "The Anarchist." So many turkeys, so little time!

The shining hit of the season: CHAPLIN?????

LuPone doesn't suffer fools gladly. (LuPone doesn't suffer ANYONE gladly, actually). What must she be thinking, sharing the stage with someone who has no stage chops at all?

Caroline O'Connor hits Broadway with her tappin' feet! But she can't compare to our own home-grown tapping darling, KZ.

Cars, Cars, everywhere! We MUST have a full accounting of Broadway shows that had cars on stage.

Julian Ovenden - yay, nay, or gay?

Will Kathie Lee's little "Christmas dropping" make it to the holidays? Or close next week?

Ben Brantley: And he'll tease you! He'll unease you! He's got Jeffrey Dahmer Eyes.

COCO OHNO.

THE LADY COMES ACROSS! NOWHERE TO GO BUT UP! SOMETHING MORE! PIPPPPPIN!

And we're off ...

by Anonymousreply 60112/10/2012

This sounds like it's golden. How come we have no reports on this yet?

Patti Issues, Ben Rimalower's solo play about his love of Tony winner Patti LuPone, has extended its run for a fourth time at The Duplex. The show will now continue through February 28, 2013.

Written and performed by Rimalower, the autobiographical show explores Rimalower’s turbulent childhood spent growing up with a gay father, and the solace he found in following LuPone's career.

by Anonymousreply 111/21/2012

Tommy Tune on Playbill talking about Coco deserves a big Mary!

[quote] "It occurs when Chanel invents the little back dress. Michael's choreographic design embodies the elegance and restraint of Chanel's classic garment itself. It would take an essay to describe how he did it, but it was the equivalent of a perfectly tailored black suit for a gentleman. Both Michael and Chanel's designs merged right there on that stage. Both are astonishingly and enduringly classic."

by Anonymousreply 211/21/2012

and why, by the way, is Patti dressed in some odd communist Chinese looking lounging pajamas what the hell kind of prisoner uniform is that? (not even going to get into the shoes)

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2012

Who the fuck is Ben RimMeByTheHour and why do I care what he has to say about Patti?

by Anonymousreply 411/21/2012

I nominate OP to oust Brantley from his undeserved spot in the theatre critic's pecking order!

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2012

Pippin in the park would work, the show is put on by a traveling Minstrel show.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2012

[quote]Ben Rimalower

Gayest.Name.Ever.

Rim, a little lower now, bay-bee.

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2012

Does Jan Maxwell host a Thanksgiving potluck dinner for struggling, homeless actors at her subsidized digs at Manhattan Plaza? Must they bring cash?

by Anonymousreply 811/21/2012

They sure as hell better bring cash to MY Thanksgiving potluck!

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2012

Possible variants: Rimyalower, Rimyallover.

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2012

I wonder what Patti thought about Ben Rimmelower's tribute?

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

How could following that bitch's career provide solace?

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2012

R11 there is a glowing quote from Patti on the posters for Rimalower's show.

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2012

Please let CHAPLIN not be this season's MEMPHIS.

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2012

I've seen Chaplin twice and love it! Bob McClure is a real star.

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2012

Bless you, OP! Brilliant stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

It's a bad thing, r17, because it's shit and when shit becomes successful it breeds more shit. Fuck actors working in relentlessly boring shows, Broadway needs quality shows to employ them.

by Anonymousreply 1811/22/2012

Interesting how some people think it is their responsibility to CLOSE shows they don't like!

by Anonymousreply 1911/22/2012

When you get down to it, the theater (or specifically Broadway) is really no different than any other medium. Look at TV: crap shows like "How I Met Your Mother" and "Rules of Engagement" run for years while great shows like "The Comeback" and "Arrested Development" only last one or two seasons (if that). Whatever the reason, people too often gravitate to the bad, not the good.

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

When you go now give to broadway equity Fights Aids. There are collections at the end and volunteers help and I have been collecting at Anni.e and Mama Mia? Be sure and help it's all for a good cause and who better than this time of year Maryann

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

GIANT--too many thoughts on this one--very ambitious; a lot of it successful; a bunch of misfires across the board (some book, some score, some design, some direction, some venue etc)--all could have been addressed to some extent if this was not the NY production (although, I dont know how much of anything differs from the Dallas staging) Although I think hes a very talented actor/singer-why is no one mentioning that d'arcy james is essentially miscast? I realize how hard it is to find a genuinely masculine leading man with charisma who isnt slick etc etc--but Brian doesn't at all seem like hes ever been on horse or been within a thousand miles of a cattle ranch. hell, his jeans didnt even look broken in (ohm a thank god for Katie Thompson-just brilliant-someone write this girl a show!))

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

I don't know about that crown on Laura Osnes' head during the CINDERELLA number on the parade.. That thing could impale someone

by Anonymousreply 2311/22/2012

I really enjoyed the Cinderella excerpt but maybe that's just because I love the score. Prince Charming isn't exactly eye candy, though, is he?

That little kid in Annie reminded me way too much of the little murderer in the movie Orphan (ironically). Tonight I'll have nightmares of her putting on thick lipstick and straddling Daddy Warbucks, whispering in a Slavic accent "Come on, Daddy-you know you want it."

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2012

This had to be the weakest representation of Broadway shows on the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.

I heard ELF is good, but you couldn't tell from that lousy number.

No SCANDALOUS either. Kathie Lee must be pissed. She works for the network.

by Anonymousreply 2511/22/2012

I enjoyed Edwin Drood, although I have to agree with the critic who says that Will Chase over-reacts to the choice of lovers at the very end of the musical.

Can people post who they saw as Dick Datchery and the murderer.

Me:

Dick Datchery: Helena Landless

Murderer: Crisparkle

Link to character names

by Anonymousreply 2611/22/2012

R23- I posted about the crown, That being said I have always loved the score too. And both TV versions. Have seen several stage productions, the last one with 'Newsies' Kara Lindsay, DL fav Claybourne Elder Rosen and wonderful Paula Leggett Chase. I understand the script is being altered. I hope Douglas Carter Bean doesn't go overboard with the changes.

by Anonymousreply 2711/22/2012

please ignore r26. posting Drood voting results isn't gossip. go to Broadway World with that fangurl shit please

I vote for Andy Karl for biggest cock in Drood

by Anonymousreply 2811/22/2012

This year was far better than the Good Vibrations/All Shook Up year. Cinderella and Bring It On came off well. Pissed that A Christmas Story didn't perform.

by Anonymousreply 2911/22/2012

I was surprised by that, R29. I thought for sure A CHRISTMAS STORY would've been among them.

Though I'm sure this question has been asked/answered before, how do they go about choosing which shows get to perform on the parade? Do the show producers lobby the network and/or Macy's PR department for a slot? Or is there some other selection process?

by Anonymousreply 3011/22/2012

I wonder who has the bigger cock - Andy Karl or Orfeh?

by Anonymousreply 3111/22/2012

presumably-Cinderella will be considered..a revival? or eligible for score??

by Anonymousreply 3211/22/2012

Just as he did in South Pacific, you'll be glad to know that Bartlett Sher worked a bare ass shower scene into Golden Boy. It's a hunky fighter who strips down and shows off his ass as he walks to the shower at the back of the stage. We then see the top half of him as he takes a shower behind frosted glass.

by Anonymousreply 3311/22/2012

good question R32.

by Anonymousreply 3411/22/2012

I liked Forever Dusty for the music but so sad that Sajous steals the show-she has an amazing voice. Girl doing Dusty is OK but they could have found someone else who was a better actress- but she wrote the book and developed it, so it was a vanity project for her.

by Anonymousreply 3511/22/2012

Jesus, but "The Anarchist" is a complete and total piece of shit!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3611/22/2012

Yeah, r36, but the restored Golden is gorgeous! I spent the whole show admiring the theater and not looking at the stage.

by Anonymousreply 3711/22/2012

Did they replace the seats at the Golden? When I saw MASTER CLASS they had cardboard EXIT signs scotchtaped to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 3811/22/2012

Let's hope THE ANARCHIST winds up being the final nail in the coffin for new David Mamet plays on Broadway. Stick his horseshit in the Atlantic (the theater, not the ocean, although....) where horseshit seems to find a suitable home.

by Anonymousreply 3911/22/2012

Well, surely the fact that a straight play was premiering with Patti LuPone in the lead role, should have been an indication...

by Anonymousreply 4011/22/2012

That, and the fact that Laurie Metcaf fled before they even began rehearsals. She probably finally got to read the "play". Debra Winger might as well be offstage for the entire crapfest.

by Anonymousreply 4111/22/2012

R40 lives in a cave.

Lupone is an excellent dramatic actress.

by Anonymousreply 4211/22/2012

r42

Did you see her in Master Class. It flopped for a reason in London.

by Anonymousreply 4311/22/2012

[quote]you'll be glad to know that Bartlett Sher worked a bare ass shower scene into Golden Boy.

Bart Sher is the 21st century's own Josh Logan! "I'm straight! Where can I fit in the beefcake?"

by Anonymousreply 4411/22/2012

R40 lives deep in that cave. LuPone was the original Ruth in Mamet's 1977 two-hander, The Woods, opposite Peter Weller.

by Anonymousreply 4511/22/2012

I know of her history with Mamet. Doesn't change my basic point. Her stock is not as high as a straight actress as it is as a musical theatre performer.

by Anonymousreply 4611/22/2012

I disagree R46. A lot of people will consider the fact that she's not singing a positive.

by Anonymousreply 4711/22/2012

I saw her r43 and thought she was excellent. The play was slaughtered by the critics. I saw Daly too and she was terrific but LuPone was better.

by Anonymousreply 4811/22/2012

Those weren't the real CINDERELLA costumes in the parade, were they? Because they were the ugliest things I've ever seen. Hopefully that's just what they cobbled together for the parade.

by Anonymousreply 4911/22/2012

Who is the butt in "Golden Boy"? The latest Mamet is a Turkey for the holiday and beyond. Was Jeff Richards forced to produce this turd so he could have the rights to Glengarry?

by Anonymousreply 5011/22/2012

Please ignore R28.

He should be posting here.

by Anonymousreply 5111/22/2012

[quote]Those weren't the real CINDERELLA costumes in the parade, were they? Because they were the ugliest things I've ever seen. Hopefully that's just what they cobbled together for the parade

There was absolutely nothing to bitch about that Cinderella piece. The costumes were cool and that five mintues was the best part of the pre-show and sold lots of tickets today. You'll actually be suprised when you eventually watch the bootleg in your Mom's basement.

by Anonymousreply 5211/22/2012

Out gay actor John Partridge will play Zach the director in the first West End revival of A Chorus Line at the London Palladium starting in February. The Palladium's an awful choice for the show because it's a barn-even the original London production of La Cage Aux Folles looked bad in there.

by Anonymousreply 5311/22/2012

[quote]There was absolutely nothing to bitch about that Cinderella piece. The costumes were cool...

The chorus costumes were lousy. That yellow ball gown steals focus. Unless it is on a lead character, it has no place on stage. The ballgowns look like they were borrowed from a regional opera companies production of La Traviata. Those costumes would get you dropped from any design program in the USA.

I would hope that they were "dummy" costumes quickly assembled for the parade. As far as the Fairy Godmother's costume goes, it is bizarre, but I will give it a pass until I see it in the context of the show.

by Anonymousreply 5411/23/2012

Is Vicki Clark getting along with the cast?

by Anonymousreply 5511/23/2012

Vicki doesn't get along with anybody.

by Anonymousreply 5611/23/2012

[quote]Did you see her in Master Class. It flopped for a reason in London.

Lots of Tony Award winning shows flopped in London. "The Producers", "RENT" & "The Drowsy Chaperone" being some. What's your point?

by Anonymousreply 5711/23/2012

That anyone here or over on other chat boards could find those Cinderella costumes anything but highly mediocre if not downright ugly just shows that no one knows anything about stage design and costuming any more.

by Anonymousreply 5811/23/2012

Yet Jersey Boys and Wicked endure in London!

by Anonymousreply 5911/23/2012

And Scarlett Strallen as Cassie. Saw her in Singin in the Rain as Kathy, she was fabulous.

Zach seems like a fucked up role to have celebrity casting for.

by Anonymousreply 6011/23/2012

It's because Zach doesn't dance except in the curtain call.

by Anonymousreply 6111/23/2012

And let's not forget LEGALLY BLONDE won the Olivier as Best Musical...

by Anonymousreply 6211/23/2012

John Partridge is a musical theatre performer who became a soap opera actor. I wouldn't say it's a case of "celebrity casting". Name casting, yes.

by Anonymousreply 6311/23/2012

John Partridge is far from a big celebrity, and (R61) he's a great dancer. He did Tugger in Cats and the groom in Drowsy in London.

by Anonymousreply 6411/23/2012

Is Scarlett Strallen a similar age to Donna McKechnie when the Broadway production opened?

by Anonymousreply 6511/23/2012

Zach dances in the opening, too. He shows them the choreography they're supposed to learn in "I Hope I Get It." He does the "famous" routine.

by Anonymousreply 6611/23/2012

Zach also dances when he's showing them "One," doesn't he?

by Anonymousreply 6711/23/2012

Saw VANYA AND SONIA today. Funny but ultimately forgettable effort by Durang.

Don't ask me why but I do think DHP is hot. Would gladly stick my head under his long nightshirt and suck him off.

And Billy Magnussen is hot hot hot! And since I was in the front row, I was right there when he bent over in front of the old lady next to me and shook his gorgeous ass right in her face. Oh, yes, sometimes front-row seats really ARE the best.

by Anonymousreply 6811/23/2012

[quote]That anyone here or over on other chat boards could find those Cinderella costumes anything but highly mediocre if not downright ugly just shows that no one knows anything about stage design and costuming any more.

Perhaps you should should watch it again without your head up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 6911/23/2012

They could have put the CINDERELLA performers in street clothes and they would have looked better than they did in those wretched costumes they were wearing.

Fortunately, those were not the actual costumes, and that was not the actual staging. The whole thing was put together specifically for the parade.

The performers delivered big time, especially Vicky Clark.

The presentation, however, did not.

by Anonymousreply 7011/24/2012

Cinderella will fail because it's a terrible show. It's a TV musical that should stay on TV. The stage version simply does not work.

by Anonymousreply 7111/24/2012

But with a "refreshed" book by Tony-nominee Douglas Carter Beane and several songs interpolated from other Rodgers & Hammerstein scores, it will be the hit of the season..

by Anonymousreply 7211/24/2012

I so love r9!

by Anonymousreply 7311/24/2012

R72 is right. It's going to be a big hit. Vicky a shoo-in for Supporting, and Ted's darling little Laura may score her first Tony.

by Anonymousreply 7411/24/2012

R33's observation of the naked ass in GOLDEN BOY is bizarre (the actor is not much to look at from the front) however I will not criticize him too much for noticing the ass because the show was otherwise abysmal.

by Anonymousreply 7511/24/2012

But one naked male ass can often work wonders on an abysmal show, r75.

by Anonymousreply 7611/24/2012

Very hard to get an impression of Golden Boy from the posts here and elsewhere.

But it does sound like those who like it, like it to be polite or like it like medicine that is good for you.

by Anonymousreply 7711/24/2012

Slightly off topic, but did anyone watch the National Dog Show after the parade? All the female judges were absurdly overdressed in evening gowns from Sears. It looked like a community theatre production of Follies.

by Anonymousreply 7811/24/2012

VIRGINIA WOOLF has posted a tentative closing notice. Numbers are down (were they ever up?) and discounts and paper are everywhere.

You won't be able to hump the hostess by Christmas.

Despite rave reviews and a recognizable title, clearly with no star power this production will fold.

by Anonymousreply 7911/24/2012

sweet!

by Anonymousreply 8011/24/2012

It's not a refreshed Cinderella script.

It's an ENTIRELY new script, concept. With new characters and new situations.

It's DCB's version of Cinderella with R&H songs.

by Anonymousreply 8111/24/2012

He'll ruin it. It'll be a campy mess.

by Anonymousreply 8211/24/2012

Saw reading of this new Cinderella in October.

No camp at all, very sweet, funny and heartfelt.

I know, go figure.

And "Boys and Girls Like You and Me" is not in it. Praise be.

And Santino is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 8311/24/2012

So theatre people, will you be sick of hearing about Les Miz next month? I enjoy it but I've never got why so many have it as an all time fave.

by Anonymousreply 8411/24/2012

R22, I think a big part of the problem with GIANT is that Michael Greif is just about the last person in the world you want to have directing a show that's still in its early stages and needs work, as proven by his past efforts (including inability to make necessary fixes in RENT).

by Anonymousreply 8511/24/2012

RENT looked and sounded as if the cast had learned all their songs, but they never got around to talking about character development, or even setting the blocking. Maybe Greif was going for "spontaneous" but it came off looking "under-rehearsed."

by Anonymousreply 8611/24/2012

Who's Afraid...'s reviews were way over the top. The production is not all that and probably those who ran to see it based on the reviewers' opinions came away disappointed and aren't telling their friends to run.

by Anonymousreply 8711/24/2012

I heard some songs from the Encores "Pipe Dream" with Will Chase, Laura Osnes, Leslie Uggams and Tom Wopat on Sirius/XM today. I was surprised at now much I liked it. Does the book really suck?

by Anonymousreply 8811/24/2012

Oh 88

you have no idea.

by Anonymousreply 8911/24/2012

88 Saw it. Know it...They cut the hell out of it and it still sucked.

The direction was actually HORRIBLE...

The score is charming...but...bad book and bad direction don't me nothing.

Speaking of...

Who's the incredibly average jewish looking dude playing the prince in Cinderella?

by Anonymousreply 9011/24/2012

Prince Charming is the adorable Italian Santino Fontana.

by Anonymousreply 9111/24/2012

If you'd bothered to read a few posts back, r90, you'd know it's Santino Fontana, who doesn't look Jewish at all.

by Anonymousreply 9211/24/2012

Thank God Santino has stopped dying his hair!

by Anonymousreply 9311/24/2012

and r90 'jewish looking dude' is offensive

by Anonymousreply 9411/24/2012

Was he the one who was in "The Importance of Being Earnest?"

by Anonymousreply 9511/24/2012

Yes, he was Algernon in EARNEST at the Roundabout.

And wonderful last season as the gay son in SONS OF THE PROPHET at the Pels

He was also great as the older brother in BILLY ELLIOTT

But he was fired as Scarlet's love interest from the Liev Schreiber revival of VIEW FROM THE BRIDGE

by Anonymousreply 9611/24/2012

Not fired from View from the Bridge. He was injured.

by Anonymousreply 9711/24/2012

I had heard from reliable sources that he was fired for bad-mouthing the director Gregory Mosher to ScarJo.

Not that I'd blame Santino.

by Anonymousreply 9811/24/2012

Life is much sweeter these days at the Nederlander Theatre, now that Jeremy Jordan is no longer in the cast of Newsies.

He was pretty much universally disliked by the entire cast . . . he really needs to watch his swelled head.

by Anonymousreply 9911/24/2012

Does Jeremy's replacement get to wear the special curtain call costume?

by Anonymousreply 10011/25/2012

I think R99 is lying. I once saw Jeremy and a large group of his castmates out at a restaurant, and they all seemed to really like each other.

True, that was before the reviews came out. But if they liked him and he liked them before the reviews, why would that change afterwards? Unless the reviews had said "Jeremy Jordan is the only good thing is this crappy show," and I don't believe any of them said that.

by Anonymousreply 10111/25/2012

Santino Fontana can be seen in the web series "Submissions Only". He's not a conventional hunk, but he is adorable.

by Anonymousreply 10211/25/2012

Yeah, sure R94. Clearly you haven't seen the Italian-American thread.

by Anonymousreply 10311/25/2012

[quote] Cinderella will fail because it's a terrible show. It's a TV musical that should stay on TV. The stage version simply does not work.

Paper MIll did a very nice production a few years ago with DL favorite Jen Cody as one of the Stepsisters.

[quote]VIRGINIA WOOLF has posted a tentative closing notice. Numbers are down (were they ever up?) and discounts and paper are everywhere.

They just had a Tony Award winning production just a few years ago. There are ZERO reasons to bring this in.

by Anonymousreply 10411/25/2012

R104, this is a totally different script than Paper Mill. Paper Mill used the old rental R&H script based on the original TV version - it's the same script the City Opera did a few years back (with Chris Sieber as the Prince) and which toured with Eartha Kitt.

This new script by D.C. Beane has different characters (no King and Queen) and a "new, fresh" take on the old story. Just like "Xanadu" was a "new, fresh" take on the old roller disco film...

by Anonymousreply 10511/25/2012

VIRGIN WOOL selling at about 65%-70% capacity. Not good, but there are a dozen shows on Bway doing worse biz.

by Anonymousreply 10611/25/2012

R106 A play about ugly sheep?

by Anonymousreply 10711/25/2012

Santino was fired because he was lost in that role, probably got no real direction, and to be honest, he sucked bigtime in the role.

I've loved his work in everything else. It's funny, on the stage, he looks like a young John Rubinstein, but up close, not so much.

He looks exactly like John did in "Pippin".

by Anonymousreply 10811/25/2012

C'mon "Pippin" at The Delacourt in Central Park would be amazing. They would even have the castle lit sitting right there.

by Anonymousreply 10911/25/2012

"If you'd bothered to read a few posts back, [R90], you'd know it's Santino Fontana, who doesn't look Jewish at all."

Then get your eyes checked R92.

Whatever ethnicity Santino is does not matter; his look reads "Jew" on screen.

by Anonymousreply 11011/25/2012

"his look reads "Jew" on screen."

And how would that look, Shylock?

by Anonymousreply 11111/25/2012

Wow. Ugly turn

by Anonymousreply 11211/25/2012

meanwhile they have a videeo all about the rewrite that doesn't say anything at all about the re-write

by Anonymousreply 11311/25/2012

ANNIE really has horrid choreography.

by Anonymousreply 11411/25/2012

I agree with R109: PIPPIN in the Park would be just... magical.

And the rumor is that Jake G has been hot to play the title role since he was a kid. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 11511/25/2012

Stop trying to make PIPPIN happen.

by Anonymousreply 11611/25/2012

PIPPIN, while fun its its day (and only successful because of Fosses midas touch-and great timing in advertising n TV)-is actually a terrible show. Fun score in its date but a terrible book Charlotte damboise and Patina Miller are not going to see a bway revival

by Anonymousreply 11711/25/2012

"Wow. Ugly turn"

Don't be so dramatic. Take it from a casting agent who understands Santino is like several current actors who can easily be mistaken for ethnicities not their own, thereby making them easier to cast.

Believe me it was more prevalent back in the days of old Hollywood, but it happens all the time, even today.

by Anonymousreply 11811/25/2012

SPY Magazine once had a list of Italians who'd played Jews and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 11911/25/2012

I've not seen Santino Fontana in anything but shouldn't the Prince be handsome. No insult to Mr. Fontana, but he didn't look very striking at all on TV. I picture the prince as dashing-- maybe a Lorenzo Pisoni or Kyle Dean Massey type?

by Anonymousreply 12011/25/2012

When Santino graduated from the University of Minnesota he was given the lead role of Hamlet when the Guthrie closed their old theater with the play. Hamlet opened the theater when it was founded by Sir Tyrone and young George Grizzard played the prince.

So I guess Santino could be cast Scandanavian as well.

by Anonymousreply 12111/25/2012

In this version, isn't it Cinderella who saves the Prince? I know it's a female-empowerment rewrite, isn't it? Maybe they wanted a slightly goofy-looking take on the Prince. (Santino is adorable goofy-looking).

by Anonymousreply 12211/25/2012

I played everything! Greek, Italian, Mexican, Spanish, Arab, French - in fact, I can't remember what I actually was!

by Anonymousreply 12311/25/2012

Yes, r 122.

What other R&H songs are they interpolating?

by Anonymousreply 12411/25/2012

Here's something for those folks here (and you know who you are) that are obsessed with flip-flopped feet. I grabbed this from the "Fuck Yeah Stephen Sondheim" site, where he writes:

This is Stephen Anthony, who’s currently the lead in the tour of Catch Me If You Can, which I saw this afternoon. He’s no Aaron Tveit, but on the other hand, you actually believe he’s 16 years old (which is the age of his character at the beginning of the story).

I think he does a viable “Something’s Coming” in this clip. Remember before Arthur Laurents revealed what the gimmick of the most recent West Side revival was going to be how we thought he was going to cast it with actual teenagers?

by Anonymousreply 12511/25/2012

We prefer flip-flopped feet to be attached to attractive looking men, r125.

by Anonymousreply 12611/25/2012

Has anyone seen The Golden Age with DL faves Bebe Neuwirth and Lee Pace? I'm dying to hear reports about Terrence McNally's latest gay play.

by Anonymousreply 12711/25/2012

Haven't seen it yet R126, but (tying in post upthread) the dashing Lorenzo Pisoni plays gay in it... that alone should make it worth seeing.

And here's why:

by Anonymousreply 12811/25/2012

It's a terrible play, unless it has been seriously rewritten since it played in DC a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 12911/25/2012

Max Von Essen's latest whorish moment

by Anonymousreply 13011/25/2012

Do we get to see Lorenzo's pisoni in the play?

by Anonymousreply 13111/25/2012

Max, contrary to DL wisdom, actually looks like he's got a tasty morsel under the pixelation.

by Anonymousreply 13211/25/2012

He texted a version of that pic to his friends

by Anonymousreply 13311/25/2012

I liked The Golden Age in DC. The main problem there were that the female roles were miscast and not well performed. Jeffrey Carlson, Marc Kudisch and George Morfogen were excellent. Neuwirth isn't really right for her role but probably will be more effective as a bitchy diva than the woman in the DC cast.

by Anonymousreply 13411/25/2012

Sorry Kudisch isn't in this version.

by Anonymousreply 13511/25/2012

Speaking of Golden Age, what is our gaydar verdict on Lee Pace?

by Anonymousreply 13611/25/2012

Is that Annie from the clip at R114 the current lead? When they released that hound, there were suddenly two dogs on stage. Why wouldn't you cast a cute moppet versus this?

by Anonymousreply 13711/26/2012

R128 Lorenzo doesn't play gay. He plays a ladies man- and he stays clothed the whole show.

R136 gay. It's been discussed elsewhere in DL. He was in a relationship with a fashion photographer for a number of years.

by Anonymousreply 13811/26/2012

saw Golden Age tonight. The play is too long and very exposition heavy, but it has its moments. Bebe Neuwirth looks like she doesn't care.

Deidre Friel, who is new to me, was WONDERFUL.

Lee Pace was ok.

by Anonymousreply 13911/26/2012

R133, was the text unpixelated?

by Anonymousreply 14011/26/2012

Gaydar?

Snort.

Lee is a huge queen and a nelly bottom. Everyone knows this.

by Anonymousreply 14111/26/2012

Bebe was probably mad she couldn't be home to see herself on THE GOOD WIFE tonight.

At least on TGW she was waaay better than Stockard, who was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 14211/26/2012

Santino Fontana is here at the spa

by Anonymousreply 14311/26/2012

Who has the real Max Pic>

Come on people

by Anonymousreply 14411/26/2012

Max has to do something to be relevent- he is playing to only 400 people on Monday nights at Evita when he plays Che. Any dish on when this turd is closing?

by Anonymousreply 14511/26/2012

Kathie Lee, while dishing Lindsay Lohan's awful performance in Liz and Dick on her morning show, commented on what bad reviews it has gotten. Then, unbelievably, commented on the bad reviews Scandalous got and said that many musicals got bad reviews including Les Miz, Wicked and Camelot!!!!!!!-LOL- She is really delusional and insane. I bet she is hoping for a 5 year run. Now that should ruin Carolee's voice for sure.

by Anonymousreply 14611/26/2012

There's a rumor circulating that the new production of JEKYLL & HYDE will not be coming to Broadway. Now playing at the Kennedy Center in DC, there are walkouts galore.

If true, can't say I'm surpirsed.

by Anonymousreply 14711/26/2012

I saw Jekyll & Hyde last Wednesday. I wasn't familiar with the show at all, but it seemed choppy. Not to mention the rhyming skillz of Wildehorn- "new love/true love/knew love". Deborah Cox sounded amazing, but that can't save the show. Constantine's fans were out in force.

It was ok. No worse than other shows I've seen on Broadway.

Confrontation needs to be fixed, though. The projections were awful to the point of hilarity. Like fireballs and eyeballs. It reminded me of Anything Can Happen on Halloween from The Worst Witch:

by Anonymousreply 14811/26/2012

Jekyll & Hyde will not be coming to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 14911/26/2012

I saw J&H at its pre-opening tryout at the La Mirada Theater. I'd never seen it before so I wasn't sure what to expect. It was better than I thought it would be (especially the singing). Lots of power ballads. It definitely didn't seem ready for Broadway, though. A touring production, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 15011/26/2012

Deb Cox is the biggest cunt that ever lived!

by Anonymousreply 15111/26/2012

I like Jekyll and Hyde. People are aware that it has actually already been on Broadway before.

by Anonymousreply 15211/26/2012

Hmmm! Who knew Danny Burstein has a nice musclebear body?!

by Anonymousreply 15311/26/2012

Jekyll and Hyde cancels Broadway run? WOW!

by Anonymousreply 15411/26/2012

Danny will be in Tally's Folly w/ Sarah Paulson. Rebecca better keep an eye out.

by Anonymousreply 15511/26/2012

R145; Max has to do something to be relevent

Oh dear

by Anonymousreply 15611/26/2012

Oh yes, I'm trembling in my shoes that Sarah Paulson will get her lezlicious hands on my husband.

by Anonymousreply 15711/26/2012

Can someone tip me off on where I can go to get the videos that are referred to here sometimes? thnx

by Anonymousreply 15811/26/2012

a video of The Performers was done. Sat matinee before it closed. Mostly mid range and full stage shots. Done from the mezzanine at the Longacre.

Go to one of the musical theater groups. theatre trades etc.

google.

by Anonymousreply 15911/26/2012

Did anyone see the Julie Andrews "Mousical" musical piece on the Today Show? I love Julie Andrews, but it made my teeth ache.

by Anonymousreply 16011/26/2012

Has the Diane Paulson Pippin at ART begun previews yet? Seems like they began rehearsals months ago.

by Anonymousreply 16111/26/2012

unless Lady Gaga replace in Evota, Im not interested. The new cast has to be hired already--they would need to start rehearsal right after the first of the year--and everyone closed down mid Dec-so, if not, times running short

by Anonymousreply 16211/26/2012

R130-That's the position Max would be using were the baths still in existence.

God knows how many men have been under that robe. And over it. And on top of it. And inside what's under it.

by Anonymousreply 16311/26/2012

R143, I love you. Marry me!

by Anonymousreply 16411/27/2012

New Evita Cast Eva: Khloe Kardashian Peron: Donald Trump Che: Adam Lambert

by Anonymousreply 16511/27/2012

No one's going to replace the Evita trio. It will hang on for two-three weeks and close. Why would any "name" want to be the replacement?

by Anonymousreply 16611/27/2012

It would be a great comeback role for LeAnne Rimes-Cibrian!

by Anonymousreply 16711/27/2012

Considering Roger's reception on Broadway, I can see why a name might like to replace... It could be a more extreme re-run of BP-Reba in Annie Get Your Gun.

by Anonymousreply 16811/27/2012

What's new, Marquis Theatre?

Ole!

by Anonymousreply 16911/27/2012

If the show continues, they need to hire an Eva who has beauty and charisma,as the press release describes Evita... something Elena lacks. And one who can actually sing the score. And one who isn't a dwarf. And one who you can understand. She is an excellent dancer however. Amazing how little press she has done for the show I think the show is dead....as it should be- awful production. I think they are trying to squeeze the last of Ricky's fans to come shell out $150 bucks to see him before it disappears into revival heaven.

by Anonymousreply 17011/27/2012

Elena will return to London in triumph as Rhea Pearlman in Danny DeVito: The Opera.

by Anonymousreply 17111/27/2012

They need to hire an Eva that can SING.

by Anonymousreply 17211/27/2012

R170, isn't Elaine Paige, the original Evita, quite short?? Otherwise, I completely agree with your post.

by Anonymousreply 17311/27/2012

Elaine Paige is indeed tiny. She credits her height as one of the reasons she was cast in Evita.

by Anonymousreply 17411/27/2012

Rachel Rak *IS* Eva

by Anonymousreply 17511/27/2012

Jennifer Lopez. Max V.E. bumped up to Che.

by Anonymousreply 17611/27/2012

Why would the producers throw away all that money if they get "stars" to replace. Rehearsal salaries, new advertising, etc. would run a fortune. And Feb-March are 2 slow months for Broadway. What kind of advance do they expect if they havent announced already. Dumb move to keep it open. Accept that the only reason it ran as long as it did was because of Ricky and tourist dollars, not the show. Word of mouth is not good-lucky it ran as long as it did.

by Anonymousreply 17711/27/2012

Idina for Evita!

by Anonymousreply 17811/27/2012

Recast it with Kevin Clash and Angus T. Jones. And alternate those Petraeus scandal twins in the title role.

by Anonymousreply 17911/27/2012

Selena Gomez IS Evita!!

by Anonymousreply 18011/27/2012

Idina turned Evita down. She was offered.

by Anonymousreply 18111/27/2012

Sporty Spice IS Evita!

by Anonymousreply 18211/27/2012

Lea Michele and Matt Morrison also turned down

by Anonymousreply 18311/27/2012

Really? I thought she would have jumped at the chance. She would probably have been criticised by every theatre queen going, but she would bring in crowds.

Saw a bootleg of Julia Murney performing it in the round. She was fabulous, but she's ALWAYS in shout mode. Same for the Chess concert.

by Anonymousreply 18411/27/2012

Matt Doyle debuting as Elder Price in Book of Mormon tonight. I think he's a great choice for the role.

by Anonymousreply 18511/27/2012

Hilary Clinton IS Evita!

Since she will step down as SOS, she will be free.

Monica as Peron's mistress?

by Anonymousreply 18611/27/2012

Anika Noni Rose for Evita!

by Anonymousreply 18711/27/2012

Too bad Nancy Reagan's too old ... she would've been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 18811/27/2012

ok, it seems that everyone here has bootlegs but me...I've tried googling and searching, but all I get are postings from 2004 and strange high school kids....Any definite hints?

by Anonymousreply 18911/27/2012

SCANDALOUS posting tonight...

by Anonymousreply 19011/27/2012

It's already been said go over to Yahoo Groups and search musicals or bootlegs or whatever. Took me like 30 seconds to find about 1,000 groups.

by Anonymousreply 19111/27/2012

yes, I've seen those groups, but its all prattle...

by Anonymousreply 19211/27/2012

Willow Smith for Evita

by Anonymousreply 19311/27/2012

You have to search R189, R192. No one is going to put up e mails here....Tom V. the BCEFA dude or someone from AEA might be reading. Just go and look..... you'll find a group and a name or two of people that have thousands of titles. Unfortunately this is not the place to give out e- mails.

by Anonymousreply 19411/27/2012

Caroline O'Connor for Evita!

by Anonymousreply 19511/27/2012

Caroline O'Connor has played pretty much every role somewhere on the planet. In her youth she could have been a brilliant Evita.

by Anonymousreply 19611/27/2012

She could never sing it, but Selena Gomez would actually sell tickets. A LOT of them.

All Wizards Cast

Eva- Selena Gomez Che- a shirtless David Henrie Juan Peron- David DeLuise Magaldi- Jake T. Austin Mistress- Jennifer Stone

by Anonymousreply 19711/27/2012

Are the 3 leads just getting sick of the show or were they holding out for more money? Was Ricky negotiating a 6 performance week?

by Anonymousreply 19811/27/2012

Miss Firecracker is a commercial production? I thought it was an MTC thing when America ferrara was attached? note to producer: the play is very thin; Amber Tamblyn is not a big enough name to sell this and Judy Ivey is a great actress but not a good director

by Anonymousreply 19911/27/2012

I would pay to see kristin Chenoweth as Evita, if only for her getting conked on the head with a lighting instrument while standing on the Casa Rosada

by Anonymousreply 20011/27/2012

Debbie Gravitte as Evita!

by Anonymousreply 20111/27/2012

I thought Ricky already had a 6 performance week?

by Anonymousreply 20211/27/2012

everyone join hands and pray "Linday!, Lindsay!"

by Anonymousreply 20311/27/2012

EVITA two words BIG ANG

by Anonymousreply 20411/27/2012

Teresa Guidice is EVita

by Anonymousreply 20511/27/2012

I love you R200!!

by Anonymousreply 20611/27/2012

Bibi Neuwirth IS Evita!

by Anonymousreply 20711/27/2012

[quote]Bibi Neuwirth IS Evita!

With that trick hip? Uhh no.

by Anonymousreply 20811/27/2012

Kristen can fit into Elena's costumes- there's a big savings right there!

by Anonymousreply 20911/27/2012

Cheyenne Jackson IS Che!

by Anonymousreply 21011/27/2012

Will Kathie Lee cry as the closing notice is announced?

by Anonymousreply 21111/27/2012

Kathie Lee IS Evita!

by Anonymousreply 21211/27/2012

Elaine Stritch is Evita

(Furiously trying to keep up with the always employed Angela Lansbury).

by Anonymousreply 21311/27/2012

r213

Only if they capitulate to my demands (Rainbow LOW etc.)

by Anonymousreply 21411/27/2012

Ricky has a 7 performance week, R202. Elena does 6. Only 5 performances each week have all three leads.

by Anonymousreply 21511/27/2012

I'm willing to do it, on two conditions: In "Rainbow High," the outfit they change me into is black tights with a pink blouse over it. Then, Evita, feeling a need for a break before she starts her tour of Europe, comes downstage and chats with the audience about current events, and tells stories about her fabulous show business life.

Don't fucking cry for ME, Argentina!

by Anonymousreply 21611/27/2012

The ladies haven't learned to lunch and all must Rise! Rise! Rise!

by Anonymousreply 21711/27/2012

Anybody wanna buy two front mezzanine tickets for "Newsies" tomorrow night? My friend who was going with me has strep, so I'd rather sell them than ask somebody else to go in his place (I was never that hyped to see it anyway; was going more for him).

by Anonymousreply 21811/27/2012

Pamela Anderson IS Evita

David Hasselhoff IS Che

by Anonymousreply 21911/28/2012

Norbert seems to have more hair...wig....transplants?

by Anonymousreply 22011/28/2012

Jordan Roth on "Morning Joe" right now talking about what a huge hit "Spider-Man" has become on its two-year anniversary. This is the first time I've actually seen him live on TV and he's cuter than I thought he'd be.

by Anonymousreply 22111/28/2012

Jordan Roth is repulsive. He looks like the death child of a vampire and a zombie.

by Anonymousreply 22211/28/2012

I would definitely see R216's Stritchvita.

"I came from the people, They need to adore me...

Shubert Theatre-New Haven-New Hampshire-Shubert Theatre-New Haven-New York, And you wonder why I drank?!"

by Anonymousreply 22311/28/2012

If his parents weren't billionaires, Jordan would be a late shift barista.

by Anonymousreply 22411/28/2012

I thought SCANDALOUS was posting its closing notice. How is it still open?

by Anonymousreply 22511/28/2012

Scandalous is only on TDF until Dec 9--so thats prob when theyre planning to close

by Anonymousreply 22711/28/2012

I love Melissa and think she resembles Beth Leavel.

What can we put them in together?

The Rink? Gypsy?

by Anonymousreply 22811/28/2012

When Stritch played London in that outfit The Guardian said, "... this is just another well-preserved septuagenarian actress in black tights and a shirt who appears to have left the house without remembering to put on her skirt."

Two stars!

by Anonymousreply 22911/28/2012

Maybe the cast of Scandalous can go to the TKTS booth like the cast of Rags did years ago to get suckers to buy tix. Keep Scandalous open!!!!!..If Max thinks he is playing to empty houses on Monday evenings, he should see the houses for Scandalous. Moose hunting anyone?

by Anonymousreply 23011/28/2012

At least with Max you get to look at that sweet ass. With Scandalous, all you get is two hours you wish you could get back.

by Anonymousreply 23111/28/2012

SCANDALOUS deserved so much better.

Kathie Lee's IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE musical will be more to the general public's liking.

by Anonymousreply 23211/28/2012

Hopefully this will be the last of Kathie Lee on Broadway....she and her crappy ideas and music belong in Branson or somewhere FAR AWAY! Will Roz Ryan go back into Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 23311/28/2012

r229: Damn. That was one terse, bitchy review, completely devoid of the fawning that every NY critic displayed.

I loved it. Thanks for posting it.

by Anonymousreply 23411/28/2012

Maybe Kathie Lee can team up with the pair that keep foisting the awful sports bio plays on us every season now

by Anonymousreply 23511/28/2012

Sondheim tells The Guardian he regrets not having children.

by Anonymousreply 23611/28/2012

When Stritch brought her show to London she went on TV for interviews and could barely string a coherent sentence together, just rambling like hell. Maybe the show became a bit flabbier by this point? The dvd is excellent.

by Anonymousreply 23711/28/2012

Christ, Sondheim must be sick of answering the same questions about Hammerstein, 'what comes first' and so on. Fortunately he still throws something new into his answers here and there.

by Anonymousreply 23811/28/2012

[quote] It's an ugly metaphor, but I always compare it to a dead baby: it looks perfectly fine, but it does not have one moment of life.

Macabre! I like Do I Hear a Waltz!

by Anonymousreply 23911/28/2012

r236, I think Sondheim has "had" lots of children. Oh no wait, I'm thinking of that perv that was the orchestra leader at the Met.

by Anonymousreply 24011/28/2012

R236, if you mean James Levine, there's been a lot of tattle and no tale. The urban legend is that the Met paid for silence, but you'd think that with all the victims coming forward against the Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts, Jerry Sanduskey, etc., someone would break ranks and spill about Jimmy.

Nada.

So count me in the non-believer column. He may be gay, he may be omnisexual (or was--given his health I don't think he's been doing much of anything during the last several years), but I tend to doubt he diddled little boys.

by Anonymousreply 24111/28/2012

Sondheim is such a sour old cunt these days. I like Do I Hear a Waltz?, too - in fact, it's a masterpiece compared to his pieces of shit "Passion" and "Road Show/Bounce" or whatever it's being called these days.

In fact, Waltz is better than "Saturday Night," too, which is admittedly not saying much.

by Anonymousreply 24211/28/2012

Do I Hear a Waltz? at least benefitted from its brilliant source material, The Time of the Cuckoo.

by Anonymousreply 24311/28/2012

Thank you for clearing that up, r241. All putative victims of James Levine will be advised that you have missed the deadline for stepping forward and must now shut up about it for the rest of your lives.

by Anonymousreply 24411/28/2012

Do I Hear a Waltz has a wonderful score. Maybe when he dies, we'll get the revival that the show deserves.

by Anonymousreply 24511/28/2012

R244 = too dense for words.

by Anonymousreply 24611/28/2012

He wasn't the "orchestra leader at the Met" R240, he was the managing director who also conducted many operas there.

by Anonymousreply 24711/28/2012

I believe Levine was Music Director for the Met. The present General Manager is Peter Gelb, following the retirement of Joseph Volpe.

by Anonymousreply 24811/29/2012

Levine is still Music Director. He hasn't retired. He is one of, if not the most powerful conductor in the world.

by Anonymousreply 24911/29/2012

Back to Theater Gossip, please - you Opera Queens go start your own thread.

Melissa Rycroft IS Evita!

Tony Dovolani IS Che!

and Tom Bergeron as Peron.

by Anonymousreply 25011/29/2012

I think what it lacked, R237, was context. Though Elaine Stritch has some distant history with London, it didn't translate.

by Anonymousreply 25111/29/2012

So has Hurricane Sandy had an impact on Broadway? I know that the producers of The Performers blamed the show's quick folding on it.

by Anonymousreply 25211/29/2012

The performers did get a bootleg although it closed before it Lincoln Center could tape it for their archives.

broadwaymusicals@yahoo.com

by Anonymousreply 25311/29/2012

Any bets on how long Dead Accounts will last after the reviews appear? I'm guessing it won't even finish the year.

by Anonymousreply 25411/29/2012

Not too long if we have anything to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 25511/29/2012

Raves all around for the Menier's Merrily We Roll Along. Seeing it toward the end of the run. Can anyone see this ending up on Broadway despite being a show that will probably never be a hit?

Maybe they'll stunt cast again. Catherine Zeta Jones is Francesca Shepard!

by Anonymousreply 25611/29/2012

[quote]Raves all around for the Menier's Merrily We Roll Along. Seeing it toward the end of the run. Can anyone see this ending up on Broadway despite being a show that will probably never be a hit?

Doesn't everything that Menier puts on get a rave? Must be a law or something. Roundabout will pick it up to fill a hole, a big black deep hole. No one will come, like their "Sunday In The Park or "Sondheim on Sondheim" mess.

by Anonymousreply 25711/29/2012

Their revival of They're Playing Our Song got very indifferent reviews. Road Show was mixed-positive. I'm not sure how the plays have been received lately, except that the production of Abigail's Party sold out quickly after the reviews.

Sondheim on Sondheim sounds like it should be a good idea, but I can't bring myself to listen to the whole cast recording, it's so sterile. He'd have been better doing a one man show for a few weeks with one or two musical guests.

by Anonymousreply 25811/29/2012

r242, you may like Do I Hear a Waltz (I do, too), but he doesn't. Isn't that his right?

by Anonymousreply 25911/29/2012

Can we discuss I'm Getting My Act Together and Taking it On the Road?

by Anonymousreply 26011/29/2012

I got the impression from Michael Billington's review of "Merrily" that the show is viewed in the UK as being much less problematic.

by Anonymousreply 26111/29/2012

Thanksgiving was a record breaking week for many Broadway shows. Mormon and Wicked broke previous house records.

Performers closed because it sucked.

by Anonymousreply 26211/29/2012

Well R261, the previous productions that Billington refers to were quite short, sort of non-commercial runs; the 1992 production at the Leicester Haymarket (quite literally in Leicester, UK) ran a month and featured Freidman; the 2000 Donmar production was the Christmas musical that year and was more or less pre-sold. Neither transferred to the West End. It is produced with some frequency in UK regional theatres.

I do think the anti-idealism, anti-capitalist tone of the piece probably suits a post-war, post-empire British sensibility more than the pro-idealism, pro-consumerism, pro-capitalist American sensibility (which is, undeniably, maturing as of late).

Also, let's be honest, the British love nothing more than to embrace something the Americans don't "get" or don't like though, to be fair, it's just a different sensibility, a different world view. Sometimes what resonates most with the British is a big "SO WHAT?" with American audiences and vice-a-versa.

Sondheim + Menier does tend to add up to some hype, though I liked their original revival of Sunday (in their space) and the recent Road Show.

Menier does do wrong though. Their revival of Torch Song Trilogy last summer (directed by Douglas Hodge) received mixed reviews. Pippin - not good. Abigail's Party is such a cult classic that any halfway decent production would be a sell-out, though I suspect Jill Halfpenny in the Alison Steadman role was probably noteworthy.

It's a nice space though too. Really draws you into the performance.

by Anonymousreply 26311/29/2012

Merrily is of interest to about 10,000 people - in the world.

by Anonymousreply 26411/29/2012

Dead Accounts has a limited run of 16 weeks that I suspect it will play out.

by Anonymousreply 26511/29/2012

Norbert needs to stop choosing shows with crappy scripts.

by Anonymousreply 26611/29/2012

[quote]Norbert needs to stop choosing shows with crappy scripts.

Yeah, because an actor that makes his living on the New York stage has so many things to choose from.

by Anonymousreply 26711/29/2012

I've seen "Merrily" about five times in small theaters and loved all of them. One of my favorite Sondheim scores. But it does seem like kind of a small show for Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 26811/29/2012

And why does Jack O'Brien sully his reputation with bad scripts every few years? Did he really think he could make Dead Accounts work?

He sure couldn't make Catch Me if You Can or that Nora Ephron play about Lillian Hellman and Mary McCarthy work.

by Anonymousreply 26911/29/2012

Merrily is second-rate Sondheim (which is better than third-rate Sondheim, like Road Show).

I've seen it four times - including Encores (and the original, La Jolla, and a small production in LA) - it's just a bad idea for a musical, and a lousy script with a decent score.

It's not in a league with Sweeney, Night Music, Company, Follies, Pacific Overtures ...

by Anonymousreply 27011/29/2012

DO I HEAR A WALTZ?

by Anonymousreply 27111/29/2012

Merrily is shite.

Please don't make me see it. Again. Ever. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 27211/30/2012

r270 nailed it. I saw the original four days before opening, and the Encores retread. It's just lousy material for a musical inexplicably presented backwards for kitsch factor. Nice score tacked onto lousy show.

by Anonymousreply 27311/30/2012

Do I Hear a Waltz has a much better score than Merrily.

by Anonymousreply 27411/30/2012

R269 - Jack has a broad crass populist streak so he can't always tell if a commercial script he's offered will actually play or not until it's up. Sometimes it works ("Hairspray") and sometimes it doesn't ("Catch Me If You Can") - unlike, say "Coast of Utopia" or the other work he's done at Lincoln Center. He always casts well but he's got a blind spot when it comes to material. Don't forget, he was also the director of "Love Never Dies" in London because Sir ALW wanted his "commercial" touch...

by Anonymousreply 27511/30/2012

The new rumour is that John Doyle is directing at the Menier in the Summer. The show? THE COLOR PURPLE!

Seriously, what the fuck? Are they adding new material? The original could have went into the West End and stood a chance.

by Anonymousreply 27611/30/2012

[quote]could have went

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 27711/30/2012

Beloved New York theater gays, I just read the review of Dead Accounts - damned with faint praise - and would love to know if anyone saw it, and what did you think?

by Anonymousreply 27811/30/2012

Will Elena have the last laugh when Patti's show closes before hers? Do they meet for pre theater drinks since their theaters are on the same block?

by Anonymousreply 27911/30/2012

Pity about DEAD ACCOUNTS. How is this a Broadway play? It isn't even substantial enough to play eight weeks in a lower east side church basement. It's a charcoal sketch of an idea that was weirdly deemed the finished product.

by Anonymousreply 28011/30/2012

Looks like Butz will have to look for another project where he can maniacally overact. And Katie can now read to Suri at night. Another theater available.

by Anonymousreply 28111/30/2012

Did anyone notice in Reidel's column that the primary topic for the producers/theatre owners meeting was "how bad business is..." Let's face it, except for the 5 mega-hits, broadway sucks. There's going to be a lot of empty theatres this Spring. And Matilda ain't going to save anything.

by Anonymousreply 28211/30/2012

Carrie Underwood IS Maria in THE SOUND OF MUSIC, NBC's live three hour spectacular next year.

by Anonymousreply 28311/30/2012

If Les Mis is a big hit (which I think it will be) what other shows are going to be made into film?

Isn't it always the case after these hit films come out that they begin to remember to make movie musicals for a few years?

I predict the often discussed film versions of In the Heights and Spring Awakening will get a lot of traction based on Les Mis being successful.

by Anonymousreply 28411/30/2012

Has anyone seen "Scenes of an Execution" with Fiona Shaw. Reviews say it's one of her best. I would LOVE to see this show.

by Anonymousreply 28511/30/2012

LES MISERABLES is not anywhere near as good as everyone is saying it is. Tom Hooper couldn't frame a childhood snapshot. Wide angle lens, wobbly close up. That's the whole movie, folks. The strength of the material aside (love or hate the musical, the novel is one of the greats for a reason), the filmmaking here is as amateurish as the budget is big. You've never seen anything like it. Don't expect it to start any sort of movie musical renneaisance. People who alreay love the musical (and there are lots of them) will come. People who don't like musicals (and there are even more of them) will cringe and opt out.

by Anonymousreply 28611/30/2012

Christ, my spell check REALLY isn't working.

by Anonymousreply 28711/30/2012

Will Carrie Underwood being singing in my keys?

by Anonymousreply 28811/30/2012

How is NEWSIES doing? I had two tickets I was trying to unload the other night outside the theater but there was hardly anyone out there. I waited around a while to try to bag someone coming for the lottery drawing, but only about 15 to 20 people showed up and they all got picked. (Seriously, I don't even know why the two guys with the theatre even bothered to go through the whole spin-the-box ritual when they knew they were going to take everybody standing out there.) After all of those people cleared out, I waited around a while longer to see who else might show up but no one ever did, so I finally gave up and came home.

Not saying the show isn't doing well because of this experience (I figure my timing that day was probably just off) but it did make me curious how it's doing these days.

by Anonymousreply 28911/30/2012

Newsies is hit, so why would anyone be desperately scrambling for tickets?

by Anonymousreply 29011/30/2012

The girls iat ATC have their panties in a bunch over Carrie Underwood. My God, couldn't it have been Kristin or Audra or Sutton or Idina or Marin or Donna!!! What are these producers thinking???

by Anonymousreply 29111/30/2012

r290 should read Newsies is SHIT. Oops

by Anonymousreply 29211/30/2012

Glee..KiKi with a little Turkey Lurky time

by Anonymousreply 29311/30/2012

I would kill to see Donna Murphy as Maria Von Trapp!

by Anonymousreply 29411/30/2012

Thanks R286 the studio has been notified and the whole thing has been scrapped. All prints will be destroyed.

[quote]I waited around a while longer to see who else might show up but no one ever did, so I finally gave up and came home.

Did you try returning them to the Box Office? You were there, why didn't you just go and see it?

by Anonymousreply 29511/30/2012

R294 Hope you're referring to Ms. Buckley, and not the actress who played Thelma Lou.

by Anonymousreply 29611/30/2012

Like it or not (and I love it), Newsies has always sold well over 90% capacity and made close to or over a million most weeks, excepting when there's a hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 29711/30/2012

[quote]Glee..KiKi with a little Turkey Lurky time

The silly old Theater Queens at Broadwayworld,com are hating it because my God how dare they not sing "Turkey Lurkey" exactly like the original cast album they've been listening to for the last forty years.

by Anonymousreply 29811/30/2012

R295, the tickets have "no refunds" stamped on them, so I figured that option was not available to me. And as for going in to see it myself, it's funny you ask that: I actually thought about it for a total of three seconds before walking away (just so it wouldn't end up being a total waste), but I simply have no desire to see it. I only bought the tickets to treat my best friend who wants to see it but he can't afford tix to a Broadway show right now (he's having a hard time financially these days), but when he got sick with strep throat the day before, I was stuck with them. I tried to sell them to somebody at work but had no takers, so thought I'd try my luck outside the theater just before show time, but again, no luck.

Even standing outside the theater listening to the music from it being piped out onto the street I knew it wasn't something I'd want to sit through on my own (that "King of the World" song or whatever it's called is simply grating). No disrespect meant as I'm sure it's a fine show but just not my cup of tea.

by Anonymousreply 29911/30/2012

"I would kill to see Donna Murphy as Maria Von Trapp!"

Is it taking place in a senior citizens home?

by Anonymousreply 30011/30/2012

[quote]the tickets have "no refunds" stamped on them, so I figured that option was not available to me.

If you still have them you can take them back to the box office and they will let you come back in the future when it's not soldout.

by Anonymousreply 30111/30/2012

Seriously, R301? I've never heard of that policy before. If so, that would be pretty awesome.

Thanks for the tip.

by Anonymousreply 30211/30/2012

Kiki - was I a fool without a mind or have I merely been to blind to realize? Oh, Kiki!

by Anonymousreply 30311/30/2012

LOL (R303)!

Maybe you're drooling from lip-syncing like you did when you played the Chevalier part in a tacky Gigi tour?!

by Anonymousreply 30411/30/2012

R303 You sound more like Daniel Massey to me.

by Anonymousreply 30511/30/2012

The original London Cabaret, just reissued, really seems like the definitive recording of the show -- how come no one talks about this? Is it because no one had heard it for a long time?

by Anonymousreply 30612/01/2012

They should have brought Judi to Broadway, but then I suppose the replacement Sallys were conventional musical theatre types, so she might not have been appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 30712/01/2012

John Kander thought Judi was the best Sally.

by Anonymousreply 30812/01/2012

Sad that the London run was not longer.

by Anonymousreply 30912/01/2012

And Judi's Fraulein Schneider in the Compleat CABARET is wonderful too....

by Anonymousreply 31012/01/2012

Rumors going around THE HEIRESS is not selling and will close first week of January.

So much for "movie star" casting!

by Anonymousreply 31112/01/2012

And how long would "The Heiress" have run if it starred Karen Ziemba? Face it, Broadway audiences (foreigners and tourists from the States) don't want to see drama, especially at these prices.

by Anonymousreply 31212/01/2012

Chastain is not that big of a movie star--she really isn't responsible for putting asses in seats in the movies she's been in.

A real next test of the movie star draw will be Mr. Thomas Hanks.

Craig and Jackman did OK not that long ago.

by Anonymousreply 31312/01/2012

Plus the reviews for The Heiress weren't that great.

by Anonymousreply 31412/01/2012

"[Merrily] is one of my favorite Sondheim scores. But it does seem like kind of a small show for Broadway."

What an odd statement. You may have seen "intimate" productions of MERRILY, but the show has definitely been done and can be done "big," even in one of the revised versions.

by Anonymousreply 31512/01/2012

Plus this production of The Heiress stinks.

by Anonymousreply 31612/01/2012

[Craig and Jackman did OK not that long ago.]

OK?? r313, it was a huge sellout despite not very good reviews

by Anonymousreply 31712/01/2012

Chastain (and Dan Stevens) are nowhere near the level of fame and name recognition of Jackman, Craig, Hanks, Pacino, Julia Roberts, and a few others, who people will pay huge bucks to see in anything.

Neither is Katie Holmes, of course.

The interesting one to watch will be ScarJo but I think it will help that she is paired with a title like Cat and playing a famously sexy role in it. Even if Cat is revived every 5 years with the latest It Girl.

by Anonymousreply 31812/01/2012

Is Cat with Chris Pine or Jeremy Renner?

by Anonymousreply 31912/01/2012

R319- Benjamin Walker, that Gummer girl's husband is playing Brick.

by Anonymousreply 32012/01/2012

Yes, between this and ABRAHAM LINCOLN VAMPIRE HUNTER, his star is truly on the rise.

by Anonymousreply 32112/01/2012

Two upcoming movie musicals: Into the Woods and Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 32212/01/2012

What about Spring Awakening?

by Anonymousreply 32312/01/2012

The film of Jersey Boys was already in pre-production with a new screenplay by John Logan and direction by Jon Favreau but the studio suddenly got cold feet. Look for the same to happen to Wicked and especially Into the Woods for years to come.

by Anonymousreply 32412/01/2012

Yep, ScarJo in a slip for the first act will sell some tickets, R318.

And I was being sardonic, R317.

by Anonymousreply 32512/01/2012

R324 re: "Jersey Boys": they're just waiting for Chris Christie to become available.

by Anonymousreply 32612/01/2012

Into The Woods has Meryl, though.

by Anonymousreply 32712/01/2012

I believe Wicked will happen before Into the Woods would.

by Anonymousreply 32812/01/2012

SPRING AWAKENING was a critics darling than won the Best Musical & Best score Tony, and it did recoup...but it didn't become the "new RENT" its creaters were hoping for.

It never "caught on" on tour and dispite London raving, it tanked and closed quickly.

It dated fast. I don't see a SPRING AWAKENING film happening anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 32912/01/2012

Sondheim has talked about "Into the Woods" being a Pixar animated musical. That might work...

by Anonymousreply 33012/01/2012

Meryl's perfect for the crone version of the Witch, but what are they gonna do when she's supposed to turn beautiful?

by Anonymousreply 33112/01/2012

SPRING AWAKENING was a colossal piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 33212/01/2012

r331

I have an idea!

by Anonymousreply 33312/01/2012

[quote]The film of Jersey Boys was already in pre-production with a new screenplay by John Logan and direction by Jon Favreau but the studio suddenly got cold feet. Look for the same to happen to Wicked and especially Into the Woods for years to come.

Once Favreau drops out it will go foward. He has no business directing a musical.

Universal owns "Wicked" and they have no need to rush. They are raking in the royalties world wide. They will do it after "Oz: The Great and Powerful" is history

No one but Sondheimites have any intrest in "Into The Woods". If it wasn't made thirty years ago, there's no rush now.

[quote]SPRING AWAKENING was a critics darling than won the Best Musical & Best score Tony, and it did recoup...but it didn't become the "new RENT" its creaters were hoping for.

It's no RENT because the music sucks. With the exception of "The Bitch Of The Living", all songs just sit there. "Purple Summer" might be the worst 11:00 number in Broadway history.

by Anonymousreply 33412/01/2012

[quote] The original London Cabaret, just reissued, really seems like the definitive recording of the show

I know that it was supposedly re-issued by Sony Masterworks on November 13th but why can't I find it for sale anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 33512/01/2012

Pixar should do "Follies" instead.

by Anonymousreply 33612/01/2012

It's an Arkiv reissue, r335. I did find it on Amazon, and iTunes has it as well.

by Anonymousreply 33712/01/2012

I couldn't find it on Amazon (US or UK), at least as a CD. I don't want a digital download.

by Anonymousreply 33812/01/2012

I just found it on Amazon. Search Cabaret on music, and it was the third or fourth listing. It doesn't have a graphic, just blank, but notes Original London Cast.

by Anonymousreply 33912/01/2012

"'Purple Summer'" might be the worst 11:00 number in Broadway history."

Thanks, R334, but the fact that you have no idea what an "11:00" number is means that your opinions aren't worth much. SPRING AWAKENING has lots of terrific songs, even if some of the lyrics are admittedly very strange.t

by Anonymousreply 34012/01/2012

The original Wedekind SPRING AWAKENING is far darker, advanced (very gay-positive) and more subversive than the 'good kids gone bad' musical.

“Search fearlessly for every sin, for out of sin comes joy.”

“The fog is clearing; life is a matter of taste.”

“We see God and the devil making fools of each other, and we nurture in ourselves the absolutely unshakable conviction that both of them are drunk.”

"Purple Summer" wanted so badly to be "Seasons of Love".

by Anonymousreply 34112/01/2012

There is video of Dench as Sally Bowles on Youtube

by Anonymousreply 34212/01/2012

RENT is a colossal piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 34312/01/2012

R343. I agree--and I think SA has some lovely music. BTW, it's quickly becoming a staple of college theatre seasons.

by Anonymousreply 34412/02/2012

I sort of loved MURDER BALLAD at MTC - an interesting and new twist on an old old story, with some great music.

Unlike SPRING AWAKENING, MURDER BALLAD really "gets" rock and roll in a theater setting (and the set, BTW, is great)

But I was deeply distracted by Mr. Audra's male tits in his tight shirt - they don't look like muscled pecs, they look like he needs a gynomastectomy. And his headshot does him no favors, either....

by Anonymousreply 34512/02/2012

For Meryl in Into the Woods, they can make her look younger with CGI like they did with Jeff Bridges in Tron.

by Anonymousreply 34612/02/2012

Why would Meryl want to do Into The Woods....it sucks

by Anonymousreply 34712/02/2012

Making her look younger is one thing. But how are they gonna make her look beautiful? There isn't enough CGI in the world to accomplish that.

by Anonymousreply 34812/02/2012

The original Spring Awakening was not gay positive. The "gay" scene is intended to show the corrupting influence of decadence. It was intended to be creepy and disturbing, not gay positive.

by Anonymousreply 34912/02/2012

Has Celia Imrie ever play Sally in Cabaret? She would have been marvelous. For that matter has Celia Imrie every done Broadway? Has she ever performed in the USA at all?

by Anonymousreply 35012/02/2012

R349 does not know the original play. Wedekind often paints gay love as purer and more selfless than heterosexual love.

In SA, the scene between the two boys is sweeter and not manipulative as all the straight scenes are.

by Anonymousreply 35112/02/2012

In the original SA, ALL sex is portrayed as scary and distrurbing because of the teens' lack of information about sex.

by Anonymousreply 35212/02/2012

"Spring Awakening," though it's a great play that was incredibly daring in time for telling the truth in an age of terrible repression and ignorance (I haven't seen the musical so I can't speak to that), is of limited relevance to a contemporary American audience because, despite the best efforts of the extreme right wing Christian minority to bully us into a state of repression and ignorance, we're in an unprecedented era of sexual and intellectual liberation--this forum being a prime example.

"Hairspray," on the other hand, is about sexual and intellectual liberation triumphing over ignorance and repression, and though the original John Waters film was a story of wishful thinking (as he states in the essay he wrote about the original 1960s Baltimore dance show that inspired "Hairspray," segregation won in real life), we do have a new generation of kids who are thinking for themselves and enjoying friendship and sex with each other regardless of ethnicity, so this show is celebrating what's really happening now and spreading a message vital to the community, including this one (since, as has been pointed out, all John Waters stories are really stories about gay liberation.)

by Anonymousreply 35312/02/2012

R350, to the best of my knowledge Celia Imrie has never appeared on stage in the US at all. I've adored her ever since she was in Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. I saw her in Noises Off at the Old Vic last December but she was sadly miscast as Dotty Otley. She would have made a great Belinda at one time.

by Anonymousreply 35412/02/2012

r354

Have you read her autobiography?

by Anonymousreply 35512/02/2012

"great music" + "rock and roll" = oxymoron

by Anonymousreply 35612/02/2012

r350, Channel 21 in NYC is playing her series "After You've Gone" on Friday nights. She does a great job in that show.

by Anonymousreply 35712/02/2012

And what of REBECCA??

by Anonymousreply 35812/02/2012

Celia Imre appeared at 59E59 a couple of season's back in a one-woman piece as part of their BritsOffBroadway series.

by Anonymousreply 35912/02/2012

Good luck tonight Patti.....you'll be on that cruise ship before you know it.

by Anonymousreply 36012/02/2012

I hope someone takes pictures during the performance

by Anonymousreply 36112/02/2012

I hope someone just throws the camera instead.

by Anonymousreply 36212/02/2012

[quote]Pixar should do "Follies" instead.

At first I laughed then I realised I actually agreed with this.

by Anonymousreply 36312/02/2012

[quote] Pixar should do "Follies" instead.

They can use the original cast vocals!

by Anonymousreply 36412/02/2012

Speaking of Seth, what's the story on him, is he all that good? The annoying voice, the Brave drives me nuts

by Anonymousreply 36512/02/2012

It's official. Every critic hates "The Anarchist"

WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE!

by Anonymousreply 36612/02/2012

Seth is funny, but he can annoy some people. He is a good musician. He is married and has a daughter. Overall, not a bad guy.

by Anonymousreply 36712/03/2012

R367: is Seth married to a woman?

by Anonymousreply 36812/03/2012

R368 Uh, no.

by Anonymousreply 36912/03/2012

Seth is married to a big black man.

...no wait, that's Mario Cantone.

by Anonymousreply 37012/03/2012

Seth is a dear, but the biggest meeskite EVER.

by Anonymousreply 37112/03/2012

And Cantone is married to a SMALL black man, whom he cheats on constantly. He's not a laugh whore, just a cheap whore.

by Anonymousreply 37212/03/2012

R356 how old are you? 80? 90? That devil music is here to stay, Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 37312/03/2012

R372, I would hardly call Jerry small....average perhaps, but hardly small, and much bigger than Mario himself.

by Anonymousreply 37412/03/2012

Wait - are we saying Seth Redusky is actually maried to a woman and is bi and not gay? Wow, now that is something I never saw coming, I assumed Seth was gay.

by Anonymousreply 37512/03/2012

Seth is married to a man, not a woman.

by Anonymousreply 37612/03/2012

I always thought Pacific Overtures should be a Pixar animated film and they should use the cast album vocals.

by Anonymousreply 37712/03/2012

I always thought Moose Murders should be a Pixar animated film, and they should use Eve Arden's voice by using digital re-enhanced tracks from old episodes of "Our Miss Brooks."

by Anonymousreply 37812/03/2012

Oh please. The mere idea hat Seh Rudetsky would be married to a woman indicates the presence of clueless fraus. Even if you're a man gay, you are a clueless frau. Gay marriage. Recognize it. Accept it.

by Anonymousreply 37912/03/2012

I always thought The Frogs should be a Pixar animated movie, with Charo voicing the frogs.

by Anonymousreply 38012/03/2012

r342, thank you for posting that. I actually dreamt about it last night. Good stuff.

The young Tim Curry saw this production, and is said to have pointed to Judi and whispered to his friend, "That's what I want to be." A few years later, he was!

by Anonymousreply 38112/03/2012

Seth can be funny, but a little of him goes a LONG way. He's been doing the same shtick and the same 'presentations' for years.

He's only interested in Big Diva Belting musicals. Couldn't care less about classic Broadway from the '20s - '40s.

by Anonymousreply 38212/03/2012

[quote] Couldn't care less about classic Broadway from the '20s - '40s.

Um like most people under 100.

by Anonymousreply 38312/03/2012

Producers of Broadway's Chaplin announced Dec. 3 that the new musical about the life of silent film star Charlie Chaplin will play its final performance Jan. 6, 2013, at the Barrymore Theatre.

Bet we are next, dolls!

by Anonymousreply 38412/03/2012

Please Patti, you'll be lucky to last that long.

by Anonymousreply 38512/03/2012

I wonder if even Mamet, LuPone and Winger can keep a turkey like The Anarchist open for another week?

Did it get a single positive review?

by Anonymousreply 38612/03/2012

Mario Cantone is straight, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 38712/03/2012

Les Miz/Stanley Kubrick retrospective mashup

by Anonymousreply 38812/03/2012

R387 Absolument! As straight as Lindsay Nelson (R-Closet)

by Anonymousreply 38912/03/2012

Mario Cantone IS straight.

Straight to the tea-rooms, every chance he gets.

by Anonymousreply 39012/03/2012

Poor, pathetic r383 is so ignorant that he doesn't realize how amazing many songs from that era are.

Let me guess, 383, the names Porter, Kern, Gershwin, Arlen, Rodgers, Hart, Hammerstein mean nothing to you, right? And Fields is just a cookie shop.

by Anonymousreply 39112/03/2012

Saved By The Bell: The Musical is opening in London in March 2013.

Was that TV show even seen in the UK?

Who could they bring over to play Screech?

by Anonymousreply 39212/03/2012

R392 Norbert Leo Butz as Mr. Belding.

by Anonymousreply 39312/03/2012

[quote] Who could they bring over to play Screech?

I hear Jonathan Groff is available, now that BOSS got cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 39412/03/2012

[quote]Absolument! As straight as Lindsay Nelson (R-Closet)

Uhm, do you mean Lindsay Graham perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 39512/03/2012

R395 OOPS! Yes, sorry. Just thinkin' about Miz Lindsay got my brain all aflutter.

by Anonymousreply 39712/03/2012

Gina Gershon IS Jesse

by Anonymousreply 39812/03/2012

Well, if we're going that old, then Ricky Martin as Slater.

by Anonymousreply 39912/03/2012

Yup- Seth Rudetsky talks about himself at the Gypsy show. Luckily, I missed a lot because he talks very fast While his passion for theater is genuine, it seems that he is desperate and he is too ugly and not talented enough to actually perform in a Broadway musical. I don't find his humor or delivery funny, but the audience did even though some of the laughter was forced. And if he said anyhoo (anyhow) one more time.....a good show despite his presence- Lion King presentation was astounding.

by Anonymousreply 40012/04/2012

But Seth has a huge cock, I hear.

And his husband is very nice.

by Anonymousreply 40112/04/2012

Mario Cantone is a big pussyhound... he has a huge Hello Kitty collection..

by Anonymousreply 40212/04/2012

SO our beloved Ms. Chenoweth is dating TV "bachelor" Jake Pavelka?

Oh, honey...that head injury was worse than we thought, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 40312/04/2012

Nice to see some love for Carolin O'Connor, OP! She wipes up the stage when it comes to Ziemba et al.....crazy good dancer and singer with a unique and versatile presence as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 40412/04/2012

The funny thing about mentioning Ziemba is that O'Connor is famously a sweetheart IRL.

Do you think Bebe Neuwirth would let that kid steal her tap number if she deigned to appear in A Christmas Story?!

by Anonymousreply 40512/04/2012

I don't know what's more disgusting, Seth or Richard Roland who is a cute bear lusting after (Ewwwww) Matt Zarley?

by Anonymousreply 40612/04/2012

Agreed - r380 The Lion King was fantastic.

I think Seth is hit or miss. His Barbra deconstructions are hilarious and heartfelt. I think some of his other bits try too hard to be funny. I prefer the decontructions he does at home. The live audinece makes him nervous and he talks too fast, panders, says ANYHOO and makes bad jokes. I think he is fun if you just see his youtube stuff. And like most people in show business - he comes across as a some what desperate starfucker - but they all do.

by Anonymousreply 40712/04/2012

Seth has a big cock? That could almost turn me...straight.

by Anonymousreply 40812/04/2012

Richard Roland used to be fucking adorable and hot. He still looks hot, even in his bearish state.

I think his hubby is much older than he is.

by Anonymousreply 40912/04/2012

[quote]he is too ugly and not talented enough to actually perform in a Broadway musical

I think he was in the revival of THE RITZ with Rosie Perez a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41012/04/2012

It's curtains for Scandalous.

12/9/2012

by Anonymousreply 41112/04/2012

OP, what makes you say that Debra Winger has no stage credits at all? She played Anna in Ivanov and Li'l Bit in How I Learned to Drive at American Repertory Theater. The Anarchist is her Broadway debut but it is far from her professional theater debut.

by Anonymousreply 41212/04/2012

Debra Winger's stage credits notwithstanding, The Anarchist will close December 16.

Has everything that's opened this fall on Broadway not closed or posted a closing notice yet? You just know Dead Accounts will announce their closing date before the week is over.

by Anonymousreply 41312/04/2012

OK, so Seth Rudetsky is gay, not straight.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion r376!

by Anonymousreply 41412/04/2012

Everyone saw Rudetsky's cock when Mantello had him wear that unitard in The Ritz.

He ain't big at all....

by Anonymousreply 41512/05/2012

Playing a couple of roles at ART hardly equates to having the stage chops of a seasoned Broadway actress/star, dolls.

by Anonymousreply 41612/05/2012

Worst season in decades. They might as well cancel The Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 41712/05/2012

The good news is that there will be about a half dozen vacant theaters come the New Year that can be filled with London imports that will sweep all the Tony AWards!

by Anonymousreply 41812/05/2012

Good grief. Mamet, Lupone and Winger under one roof and all anybody can talk about is fucking Seth Rudinksy?

These theater "gossip" threads officially suck.

by Anonymousreply 41912/05/2012

What is Tom Schumacher's odd fascination with Andrew Keenan Bolger? He's a moderate talent at best, but he's all over the Disney crap like he's Dick Van Dyke. wtf?

by Anonymousreply 42012/05/2012

Had to watch kathie lee on her morning show to see what she would say about the closing of her 15 year in the making shitfest. She was heavily made up and blamed the closing partially on Hurricane Sandy- of course. They are having some sort of pre theater party before the matinee at Gallagher's Steak House a couple of doors down from the theater, which appropriately is also closing the end of the year. I was hoping she would cry but didn't but I am sure she has already shed many tears and probably has thrown a few wine glasses at Hoda. Then the 2 fraus went on about how every closing means a new beginning. Amen.

by Anonymousreply 42112/05/2012

Fuck you, R421! Fuck you up the ass!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 42212/05/2012

LOOK MA, I'M DANCIN'!

by Anonymousreply 42312/05/2012

It's ALL about Mike Jackson as the Tin Man in this Canadian Wizard of Oz. I'd tap that.

by Anonymousreply 42412/05/2012

With reference to the photographer who took pictures of the man on the subway track. It is unfair to say he should have dropped the camera and rescue him. You need to know what goes on your mind in a situation like that. Over 12 years ago I was at the subway station at 86th and Broadway waiting for a train. I was the only person standing at the back end of the platform. I looked and saw a man jump off the platform onto the tracks, I thought he was going to pick up something but he laid down on them. Seeing this I had to go tell someone and I ran to the booth to let them know. But, to me doing that my body went into slow motion,slow animation and it was like I was walking slow and all, apparently was not. I was in shock. They were able to get the uncoming train know and the train was able to stop about six feet from the person laying there. They retrieved him from the track he was out cold. I remember getting on the train after that I was shaking. I saved a man's life.

by Anonymousreply 42512/05/2012

R417: bite your tongue! Nooooooooo! I LOVE the Tonys!

But you're probably right. And you're probably younger than I, but something similar went on in - 1986? for the year ending 1985? Only 1 or 2 musicals nominated (I THINK - "Big River" won); there have been some other seasons where either fewer-than-usual nominees or something like that - beloved NY Theater queens, please help me out here? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 42612/05/2012

Ye gods! Susan Luckey Dead -- 'Music Man' Actress Dies at 74

by Anonymousreply 42712/05/2012

R427 You watch your phraseology!

by Anonymousreply 42812/05/2012

Sad news about Susan Luckey.

by Anonymousreply 42912/05/2012

R426, 1995- only Sunset Blvd and Smokey Joe's Café were nominated for Best Musical.

by Anonymousreply 43012/05/2012

That's terrible news about that closing, R421!

No, not about 'Scandalous' closing but Gallagher's Steakhouse!!! It's a Times Square institution, chock-full of photo's of identities from the world of politics, sports and the theatre who've frequented the place since it opened in 1927, originally as a speakeasy during Prohibition.

The sides of beef and other cuts of meat hang in a a cool room visible from the street through the plate glass window so you can admire your potential meal as you enter the restaurant.

I love the "old world" charm and the veteran waitpersons, a living link to NY's past. The food is hearty and cooked as expertly as you'd expect from such an iconic business though I gather they have had a change of management (and management style) recently that could be the reason this institution has hit troubled waters.

It's a terrible shame that it's going because it has always been one of NYC's great bar/restaurants, the Manhattan equivalent of Hollywood's Musso & Franks.

Mallrats won't care but it's another blow for lovers of authentic NY culture.

by Anonymousreply 43112/05/2012

Don't worry, R431. If you want the Gallagher's experience, you can still get it at the branch at Newark Airport!

by Anonymousreply 43212/05/2012

I agree R431.

by Anonymousreply 43312/05/2012

I guess Susan wasn't very Luckey after all.

by Anonymousreply 43412/05/2012

I disagree r431, but I respect your opinion.

To me Gallaghers was like the Stage Deli....it is time to move on.

Anyway, how B. Smith's stays open is shocking; that place's time is long over as well and it should just go too.

Unfortunately, my only regret is once a place closes, the sights do not become new restaurants which would invigorate the area; they become Duane Reades.

by Anonymousreply 43512/05/2012

I used to really like the old B. Smith's when it was on 8th Ave. Gorgeous room, interesting menu and great food. The newer location has a completely different experience to offer.

by Anonymousreply 43612/05/2012

So what are some suggestions for a decent well-spent dinner before the theater in NY in the Time Square area?

Personally, I like The Eatery up on 52nd St.

by Anonymousreply 43712/05/2012

The Burger King on 42nd Street. Fresh, fast and fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 43812/05/2012

Orso for New Yorkers (especially after the show), Sardi's for tourists, Carmine's for people from Long Island and New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 43912/05/2012

Tad's Steaks!

by Anonymousreply 44012/05/2012

Will you fat pigs get back to Broadway gossip and stop bemoaning the closing of restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 44112/05/2012

r403 - Oh, honey...that head injury was worse than we thought, wasn't it?

Oh, honey, don't you recognize a merkin when you see one? Girlfriend is channeling Dusty Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 44212/05/2012

I couldn't believe how crappy THE GOLDEN AGE was. Ian McKellen couldn't have been more bored in the audience tonight.

by Anonymousreply 44312/05/2012

[quote]Nooooooooo! I LOVE the Tonys!

Imagine if, for one night only, the Oscars and the Tonys were broadcast against one another. What would the gays do? (Just for fun, pretend there are no such things as recording devices.)

[quote]there will be about a half dozen vacant theaters come the New Year

And apparently one for sale:

by Anonymousreply 44412/05/2012

Virgil's BBQ on West 44th bet 6th & 7th

Joel Allen on West 46th bet 8th & 9th is always nice but Virgil's is my favorite. Oh and if you like lobster rolls, go to the little restaurant Claw on 9th (bet 51st & 52nd?)

by Anonymousreply 44512/06/2012

If there weren't devices and the NBA Finals or NBA Conferencd Finals were on at the same time, I would watch that. If there were no NBA games, I would watch the Tonys for the musical numbers alone.

by Anonymousreply 44612/06/2012

Will work for food.

by Anonymousreply 44712/06/2012

Scandalous closing in 3 weeks. KLG said although the critics hated it the audiences love it coming again and again. So 1000 people saw it 20 times apparently

by Anonymousreply 44812/06/2012

[quote] Scandalous closing in 3 weeks.

3 weeks? Honey, it's closing on December 9th, which is THIS coming Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 44912/06/2012

I love you so much R440.

by Anonymousreply 45012/06/2012

Have a feeling Troika or Networks will scramble to put out a non union tour and build up this as ....Kathie Lee's musical for everyone!!

by Anonymousreply 45112/06/2012

R424 -- I hear ya. I'd love to make a meal of Mike Jackson. And then have Jamie McKnight for dessert.

by Anonymousreply 45212/06/2012

Mike Jackson looks fat but I agree that Jamie McKnight is a hottie.

by Anonymousreply 45312/06/2012

How can that piece of shit, "The Anarchist", last to it's scheduled closing date, December 16. Is anyone even buying tickets after those reviews?

by Anonymousreply 45412/06/2012

"its". duh

by Anonymousreply 45512/06/2012

We're not gonna talk about the NYT piece re: Mamet?

Why does Jeffrey Richards so religiously produce Mamet? Are they fucking?

by Anonymousreply 45612/06/2012

A revival of American Buffalo? Seriously? Look what happened to the last one.

by Anonymousreply 45712/06/2012

I can only assume that if Jeffrey Richards produces a revival of AMERICAN BUFFALO on Broaday, it will star Pacino, even though he's way too old for the role.

by Anonymousreply 45812/06/2012

Excuse me...no mention of my return to the stage?

by Anonymousreply 45912/06/2012

The Les Miz movie got a mixed review in Variety and a pan in the Hollywood Reporter. They called it a bout of musical diarrhea.

by Anonymousreply 46012/06/2012

What puzzles me most about The Anarchist is why Debra Winger chose it for her Broadway debut. I would imagine, in spite of her lack of stage credits, she's offered Broadway plays all the time.

Clearly, the role was underwritten from the start and never realy changed. Whatever was she expecting??

by Anonymousreply 46112/06/2012

[quote] I would imagine, in spite of her lack of stage credits, she's offered Broadway plays all the time.

That may be your mistake.

by Anonymousreply 46212/06/2012

I agree. I know Winger is perceived as some underappreciated national treasure/rare flower by some on DL, but I don't think producers or directors share that POV.

by Anonymousreply 46312/06/2012

This is my PSA of the day:

If anyone wants to see "The Glass Menagerie" at ART (with Cherry Jones as Mrs. Wingfield) then even if you are a subscriber you might want to act quick because it is already close to being completely sold out.

by Anonymousreply 46412/06/2012

Any news on who they got to replace the 2 miscast leads in "Evita" or are they just gonna shut the shit down?

by Anonymousreply 46512/06/2012

Orfeh! Andy Karl!

by Anonymousreply 46612/06/2012

You bitches got your wish.

by Anonymousreply 46712/06/2012

Any word on the "rights issue" for the Streisand Gypsy film? Is it to do with other movie studios or is it Laurents' estate?

by Anonymousreply 46812/06/2012

Just read Hollywood Reporter on Les Miz, r460.

'Musical diarrhea' is classy. Good criticism is deader than good musical theater writing. It may be diarrhea but he's the asshole

by Anonymousreply 46912/06/2012

The Hollywood Reporter review pretty much summed up my reaction to the show itself. It's a great big manipulative bag o' bombast.

by Anonymousreply 47012/06/2012

The difficulty with the Streisand Gypsy is that she wants to change Louise to Louis and have Jason Gould play him. Instead of growing up to be a Burlesque queen, the character would become a Vaudeville Comedian.

by Anonymousreply 47112/06/2012

Hope the new Pippin is better than that dreadful regional production with Claybourne Elder Rosen, directed by his hubs.

by Anonymousreply 47212/06/2012

Met Norm Lewis on the train Tuesday morning. We were entering from opposite sides of the car and literally backed into one another. He was really nice and I told him how much I like his work (and such a handsome man, too).

Anyway, that's my Broadway star sighting for the week.

by Anonymousreply 47312/06/2012

Can someone say what the LION KING presentation at Gypsy was?

by Anonymousreply 47412/06/2012

To R474: Pretentious describes it. I was there.

by Anonymousreply 47512/06/2012

But r475, I really liked the NEWSIES! bit. It wasn't too long (like the Mary Poppins one), great big laughs for the guy trying to spin on the paper. And a great punchline that they still get paid the same. Hysterical.

And r445: Joel Allen's?

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 47612/06/2012

Claybourne Elder's PIPPIN production may have been a disaster, but I would still pay good money to lick his feets, in or out of flip-flops.

by Anonymousreply 47712/06/2012

Any Bostonians see PIPPIN? What's the word?

by Anonymousreply 47812/07/2012

The people need... and want... a new PIPPIN.

by Anonymousreply 47912/07/2012

The scoop on the Streisand GYPSY is that she has consulted with CGI experts who have assured her they can make her younger via CGI for the first part of the movie.

Seriously. The thing is, what's "the first part of the movie"? Just when the daughters are little girls? Or through June's departure?

The truth is Streisand needs CGI for the whole damned film. She looks good in the clips from Guilt Trip but NOT in that awful commercial she did with Seth Rogen.

I suppose she could get away with the last couple of scenes. But she's miscast anyway, forget the age thing, and she can't sing it anymore.

by Anonymousreply 48012/07/2012

Streisand may as well be true to herself and film DEAR WORLD.

It would be cheaper to make and would lose less money than anything she can do with GYPSY.

And, heaven knows, more age-appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 48112/07/2012

Like his feets? I'd much rather lick Elder Claybourne's arse. On the other hand, I'd rather pick my nose than sit through Appalling Paulus' Pippin.

by Anonymousreply 48212/07/2012

But isn't ironic that Streisand played Dolly when she was far too young and will play Rose when she's far too old?

by Anonymousreply 48312/07/2012

Streisand's Gypsy will be all in flashback. She'll be sitting in a big chair with a book, speaking to the camera, then it'll cut to the scenes from the show with only the age appropriate actors in the frame.

Then it cuts back to Streisand who says "And then I said- "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, and it serves em right for overcharging." And then we sang a song, that goes something like this..."

by Anonymousreply 48412/07/2012

PIPPIN-perhaps they might want to wait for the reviews before discussing any bway transfer

by Anonymousreply 48512/07/2012

I would guess that the Weissler enhancement money was in place long before rehearsals began and thus the announcement of their participation and pleadge for the Broadway transfer are all just publicity to drum up excitement about the production.

I'd say to wait until the reviews appear but these days, even with bad or discouraging out-of-town reviews, shows are transferring to Broadway, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 48612/07/2012

[quote] even with bad or discouraging out-of-town reviews, shows are transferring to Broadway, anyway.

Was that in reference to moi?!

by Anonymousreply 48712/07/2012

I'm a huge admirer of Feingold as a critic, but I'm amazed he's making any kind of defense of "The Anarchist" - it's garbage, period.

by Anonymousreply 48812/07/2012

R488 I feel like what Feingold was praising about "The Anarchist" only further illustrates the problems with Mamet as a playwright. The scripts are so "stripped down" that they seem like first drafts from a playwriting 101 class and combined with his inherent misogyny, you get 70 minutes of emotionless catfighting.

by Anonymousreply 48912/07/2012

Mamet is tired. Mamet is done.

Theatres will go on reviving his better, older plays (GLENGARRY, BUFFALO) ad infinitum (even if I never need to see another production again). Because they're commercially viable (or thought to be), and actors love doing them.

But his world view and style are limited. And he's become another cranky, reactionary old man.

by Anonymousreply 49012/07/2012

The reactionary nature of Mamet's world view has been in evidence all along. The messages behind "Speed the Plough," "Hoffa" and "Oleanna" could have come straight out of the mouth of Rush Limbaugh. I don't know why it comes to such a shock to people.

by Anonymousreply 49112/07/2012

R488, Feingold is highly knowledgeable and intelligent, and he has often made excellent points in essays on the general state of theater. But in his reviews, he often seems to make a point of offering an opinion that's contrary to the consensus -- even in cases like THE ANARCHIST, where the play is so bad that it's indefensible. I wish he's stop doing that.

by Anonymousreply 49212/07/2012

I can't wait to see Gypsy filmed through vaseline and totally from her left side!

by Anonymousreply 49312/07/2012

It's nice to discuss serious playwriting for a change.

Are there any new writers or plays people are excited about?

(I may be one of the Karen Ziemba Trolls, but I love new plays.)

by Anonymousreply 49412/07/2012

R494? No.

by Anonymousreply 49512/07/2012

Playwriting, shmaywriting, who has tongued the asshole of Elder Claybourne?

by Anonymousreply 49612/07/2012

I'm really happy for the production of GOLDEN BOY. Can't wait to see it. Watched the movie yesterday but I understand it was rewritten with a happy ending.

And I confess... I am also one of the Ziemba trolls... but give me a good play and the tap shoes and banjo go back in the box.

xo

by Anonymousreply 49712/07/2012

Plough?

by Anonymousreply 49812/07/2012

r498

It was called that in the West End when Kim Wilde took over from Madge.

by Anonymousreply 49912/07/2012

If you love new plays, check out Bad Jews at Roundabout's tiny underground space at The Laura Pels Theater.

Highly original writing and 4 fabulous performances from the young actors.

It depresses me that Roundabout puts so much money and misguided effort into their mediocre revivals and then doesn't give enough press to their new plays in that little space, even when the reviews, as in this case, were wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 50012/07/2012

[Playwriting, shmaywriting, who has tongued the asshole of Elder Claybourne?]

Eric Rosen, presumably.

by Anonymousreply 50112/07/2012

How Rosen landed Clay is anyone's guess.

by Anonymousreply 50212/07/2012

I'm crushed. I thought there was only one KZ Troll, THE KZ Troll.

To learn that it's several different people?

It's like finding out there was no Santa Claus all over again.

by Anonymousreply 50312/07/2012

Well, it seem "A Christmas Story" is the show to beat so far for Best Musical so. Has any limited engagement show every won Best Show? I mean besides all of Sondheim's shows, which are limited engements, but they aren't planned that way.

by Anonymousreply 50412/07/2012

Golden Boy is a very long, dull 3 hours, which everyone will find out once the minor box office flurry, caused by the inexplicable reviews, subsides.

by Anonymousreply 50512/07/2012

R445 here. Can't believe I typed Joel Allen. Must have been some auto correct. I laughed out loud when my mistake was pointed out.

by Anonymousreply 50612/07/2012

There is a Ziemba troll

a KZ troll

and a few more

As for me, I'm the "Karen Ziemba, Tony winning actress/dancer/singer/banjo player" ...troll

xo

by Anonymousreply 50712/07/2012

But it does have Yvonne Strahovski who is so hot on Dexter.

by Anonymousreply 50812/07/2012

R503 Geez, learn how to use spoiler alert, dammit!

by Anonymousreply 50912/07/2012

Christmas Story doesn't have a prayer for Best Musical. It will be either Matilda or Kinky. It probably won't even get a nomination.

by Anonymousreply 51012/07/2012

And there's also Doug Beane's Cinderella. Will the producers be campaigning it for Best Musical or Best Revival? Where is its better chances of winning?

by Anonymousreply 51112/07/2012

I would think Cinderella would have to go under Best Revival, with Beane eligible for Best Book. Didn't the revised Flower Drum Song and On a Clear Day get similar treatment? And the R&H Cinderella has been staged everywhere BUT Broadway and everyone has seen at least one of the TV versions that inspired it, so I think the "classic" designation is more than apt.

Though I imagine it will come down to Annie vs. Drood for Best Revival (and unless Pippin turns out to be great and transfers and/or Drood goes open-ended, Annie will probably win), Cinderella still has a better chance to get noticed in the revival category than the musical one. And it just makes the most sense to put it there (Not that sense has held much sway with the Tony folk before, of course...).

by Anonymousreply 51212/07/2012

Cinderella is a revival of what? When was it originally produced on Broadway? It's a new adaptation of a TV musical with an old score - like every other musical that opens with its juke box list of hits.

by Anonymousreply 51312/07/2012

So Doug Beane will have a new book for a musical and a play opening on Broadway in the same season.

Has that ever happened before? Noel Coward or Neil Simon perhaps?

Not Harvey or Terrence as far as IBDB can tell me.

Come on theater queens someone must know. George S. Kaufman maybe?

by Anonymousreply 51412/07/2012

Drood is likely to last until Tony nomination time and if so, far more likely to do well than the tepidly reviewed Annie.

by Anonymousreply 51512/07/2012

Dear r513, "juke box musicals" have songs drawn from disparate and untheatrical sources. CINDERELLA'S score was created of a piece specifically for the original television production. No comparison between the two whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 51612/07/2012

R513, since the Tony folks have ruled that any "classic" work that has never before been produced on Broadway may be deemed a revival for Tony purposes (eg Little Shop of Horrors, Driving Miss Daisy, and other Off-Broadway shows "making their Broadway debuts" years after their premieres but classified as revivals because they've been produced everywhere else), I don't see how Cinderella could not be deemed a revival. The TV version has been adapted and performed for the stage countless times, including in London, and at New York City Opera and Madison Square Garden, for Chrissake! Beane will be eligible for Best Book (As David Hwang and Peter Parnell were for their "revisals" of established shows), but the score and basic story of this production (Changes aside) are the same as every other production that's been staged around the country since the 1960's. The R&H Cinderella is an honorary musical theatre classic, and thus, though the revised book will be allowed to compete, I can't imagine the production itself wouldn't be named a revival for the Tony competition.

But I could be wrong. You never know for sure with the Tonys.

by Anonymousreply 51712/07/2012

I actually think A Christmas Story has a good shot at being the first holiday piece to get Tony recognition (R510). No wins, but . . .

nominations for musical, score, book, director, supporting actress, orchestrations, and maybe choreography seem likely. The critics really liked it and it's an audience show as well.

Astaire award for Luke Spring!! Stop giving it to actors who move well.

by Anonymousreply 51812/07/2012

I bet Cinderella will not be categorized as a revival. It has never had a broadway production - or even a famously off broadway production. It is a new adaptation of a television show (okay it played a frigging opera house for five days). And the score, written specifically for the tv special, will not be nominated -- it is LIKE A JUKE BOX MUSICAL's score, which is never nominated (Of course, if there are five unheard R&H songs that could somehow be classified as new, it might squeak out a nomination. Gigi won a score Tony with five new songs, but they were written for the specifically for the stage.)

Of course this will all be moot if the powers that be deem the R&H Cinderella a classic.

by Anonymousreply 51912/07/2012

So Debra Winger seems pretty angry with Mametin the Times today....Winger, Lupone, and Mamet in a room....can you imagine!!!

by Anonymousreply 52012/07/2012

If A Christmas Story continues to sell, can it go into an open-ended run or is its theater already booked for something else?

by Anonymousreply 52112/07/2012

Pippin started in previews this week...any news?

by Anonymousreply 52212/07/2012

[quote]If A Christmas Story continues to sell, can it go into an open-ended run or is its theater already booked for something else?

A Motown jukebox musical is scheduled.

by Anonymousreply 52312/07/2012

"A Christmas Story" has the Best Supporting Tonys already with Caroline O'Conner and the little tap dancing kid. Betcha.

[quote]So Debra Winger seems pretty angry with Mametin the Times today....Winger, Lupone, and Mamet in a room....can you imagine!!!

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 52412/07/2012

Is Sutton still tied up with that TV thing or is she just not getting hired for any shows this season?

by Anonymousreply 52512/07/2012

here r524

by Anonymousreply 52612/07/2012

When a dopey kiddie show like A Christmas Story (including its forgettable score) is seriously discussed as a front-runner for the Tonys, something is disastrously wrong with the state of Broadway and musical theater.

by Anonymousreply 52712/08/2012

By the time the Tony nominations roll around in May, all the Christmas musicals will be forgotten.

The dark horse in the new musicals is HANDS ON A HARD BODY. And BRING IT ON will be the first "limited run" musical to get nominations - definitely for score and choreography.

CINDERELLA will be considered a revival by the nominating committee, putting it in competition with ANNIE, DROOD and PIPPIN (if it gets in time).

Word has it ANNIE's advance is weak, however, so it may not make it to Tony time.

by Anonymousreply 52812/08/2012

Drood is not making any money. Mediocre show, awful title, tourists don't give a shit and Chita is not happy that she spends so much time in her dressing room. A snob critics' darling and it will close after it's extension.

by Anonymousreply 52912/08/2012

Why do we care about the Hamburg theater scene on NY1 On Stage? Because Frank DiLella wanted a free vacation. That's really the only reason.

by Anonymousreply 53012/08/2012

r527, you just figured this out NOW?

by Anonymousreply 53112/08/2012

[quote] Drood is not making any money. Mediocre show, awful title, tourists don't give a shit and Chita is not happy that she spends so much time in her dressing room. A snob critics' darling and it will close after it's extension.

That's if it makes it to its extension. If it's only filling 70% of its small house now, with a subscription base and in the wake of its reviews, doing an average of around $350,000 a week, I'm not sure adding an extra four weeks was wise and doubt there will be another extension. Roundabout's Anything Goes and even their awful Bye Bye Birdie grossed 2-3 times more a week at the similarly sized Sondheim/Henry Miller. [R529] is right - critics may love Drood, but general audiences do not care.

by Anonymousreply 53212/08/2012

Greedmeister Jeffrey Richards proposed revival of "American Buffalo" next season will no doubt star Pacino as the old junk shop owner, Donny, Canavale as Teach, and Jake Gyllenhaal as Bobby, thus ensuring a top ticket price of 400 bucks a seat. And then they'll delay the opening on that one, too.

And as part of a package deal, , we'll get a new 45 minute Mamet play about a nun accused of shooting a black president. That Richards is a class act, as is has-been Mamet.

Maybe he should stay in Vermont and tap the trees around his cabin for Republican maple syrup.

by Anonymousreply 53312/08/2012

[quote] Is Sutton still tied up with that TV thing or is she just not getting hired for any shows this season?

Bunheads season 2 starts airing January 7th, so I'm guessing that maybe they are either shooting the last episodes(s) of the season or have just recently wrapped. Or, since the 2 leads both are east coasters it's likely that they may film more than one season at at time so that they only need to be in L.A. for a set period of time, and not back and forth.

by Anonymousreply 53412/08/2012

I don't believe Bunheads has been renewed past this season, at least not yet.

For it to make it, the second half of the first season will have to be stronger and Sutton will have to tone it down.

Wanted to like it but Sutton quickly became grating, there wasn't enough story and the only thing to recommend it was Kelly Bishop, and she was doing watered-down Emily Gilmore scripts.

by Anonymousreply 53512/08/2012

Even so, R535, they could still be shooting the last episode(s) for the current season. Or they could have not started until later in the fall so they will be going for awhile.

American Horror Story: Asylum started shooting in early July and they are still filming, at least as of yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 53612/08/2012

Maybe Mamet and Kathie Lee Gifford can comfort each other while they take turns sucking Rupert Murdoch's dick. It couldn't have happened to a bigger pair of Republican creeps.

by Anonymousreply 53712/08/2012

[quote] Winger, Lupone, and Mamet in a room....can you imagine!!!

The transcripts of such an event would make a far more thrilling play than Mamet could ever write.

by Anonymousreply 53812/08/2012

[quote]I don't believe Bunheads has been renewed past this season, at least not yet.

Well believe Dear, "Bunheads" was indeed renewed. And Sutton has made it perfectly clear she has fallen in love with California life and has no plans of moving back for years to come. Unless it's something she really can't pass up,, she's putting Broadway on hold indefinitely.

by Anonymousreply 53912/08/2012

R539, that makes me very sad. Sutton is a true Broadway Star and she is indeed NEEDED on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 54012/08/2012

Mmmmmm.... that's okay, R540. I think Sutton's... talents are much better suited to California.

I'm sending her a basket of Christmas cheeses and sausage as I type. Dear girl.

by Anonymousreply 54112/08/2012

Best Musical noms will be MATILDA (win), KINKY BOOTS, HANDS ON A HARDBODY and one unknown.

It will NOT be A Christmas Story, for chrissakes.

by Anonymousreply 54212/08/2012

R494 "Are there any new writers or plays people are excited about?"

'Constellations' by Nick Payne is a short play (approx 75 mins) which started at the Royal Court and is now in a limited West End run. It's got great reviews, lots of award nominations and fantastic word-of-mouth.

I've not seen it myself (yet) but I think the synopsis sounds fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 54412/08/2012

I've never understood why Chita Rivera can't carry a show. She's incredible onstage, has done some ground-breaking work and some mega-influential work. The last two presidents have honored her with high-profile televised ceremonies, but Spider Woman, her own show, Nine, The Visit, and now Drood never made it to hit status with her above the title. Why is that??

by Anonymousreply 54512/08/2012

"Why do we care about the Hamburg theater scene on NY1 On Stage? Because Frank DiLella wanted a free vacation."

A permanent vacation is that Frank needs ;-)

by Anonymousreply 54612/09/2012

Evita: Who who who???? Many wonder if there Really will be any replacements and just close. What about that intermission photo of Max and the open black robe? I would go down.

by Anonymousreply 54712/09/2012

Any new gossip on Steve Kazee? He's so hot.

by Anonymousreply 54812/09/2012

Rivera wasn't the one responsible for NINE. That show was all about Banderas, and when he left, that was the end of the show.

by Anonymousreply 54912/09/2012

Chita was known for her incredible dancing up until she had the car accident. She was never good at accents, yet, she had to do them in her last few shows. I saw an interview where she went off about how The Music Man won best musical over West Side Story....it was like ahe never got over that. I always felt she was bitter inside because she worked so hard but never became a big star outside of Broadway. But when she takes the stage, she gives 110% and you can't help but love her. She has had an incredible career. God bless her.

by Anonymousreply 55012/09/2012

People still confuse Chita with Rita, truly. Chita can be exciting onstage but like most Broadway divas, she has a face only Broadway could love.

by Anonymousreply 55112/09/2012

Sorry I can't make the closing Kathie but you'll tell me about it Monday morning over a glass of champagne. Was Liza there again?

by Anonymousreply 55212/09/2012

frankly I can't understand how Music Man won over West Side Story, either.

Up until about 7 years ago, Chita looked decent in closeup. Look at the photos from Spider woman, she looks better than Moreno ever did....glamorous, sexy, dark, myseterious. She didn't really emerge as a Diva until that time.

What was she like in The Rink? or was that more of a showcase of Liza?

by Anonymousreply 55312/09/2012

Chita is not a bitter person. She is one of the nicest of Broadway stars.

by Anonymousreply 55412/09/2012

She is the class and the sass

by Anonymousreply 55512/09/2012

Have lived and worked on both coasts, California is better. Sutton is right.

Agree that A Christmas Story should get nominations. Wlll Luke Spring really get a nomination? I don't see why not. It's the performance of the season so far. No question. Him an Rob McClure at least.

by Anonymousreply 55612/09/2012

[quote] frankly I can't understand how Music Man won over West Side Story, either.

Christ, I loathe The Music Man, but let's face it - nobody dies.

by Anonymousreply 55712/09/2012

[quote] Up until about 7 years ago, Chita looked decent in closeup.

Clearly, you've never seen the film of SWEET CHARITY. And her "cameo" in CHICAGO looks like 20 miles of bad road.

Chita has never had a face for film.

by Anonymousreply 55812/09/2012

Unlike Verdon, Martin, Lansbury, and Merman, Chita has never been the solo star of a Broadway show. Her one-woman show wasn't a success. She needs co-stars because she's not a great singer or actress. Could dance like a dream, though.

by Anonymousreply 55912/09/2012

R539, listen carefully, dearie.

Bunheads was picked up for 8 more episodes or some such number to complete it's first season. Those are the ones yet to air. It has not received a second season renewal.

by Anonymousreply 56012/09/2012

Can someone explain why Roundabout would produce that second-rate Drood instead of say the NY premiere of The Visit, which would be a lock for a best musical slot?

I guess "it's Roundabout" is my answer...

by Anonymousreply 56112/09/2012

[quote]Bring back the real Ziemba troll, please!!!

xoxoxo

by Anonymousreply 56212/09/2012

Chita did shows on an ocean liner one year to pay for her trip to Italy.. she is the ultimate performer and everyone loves her.. give her a call to do a benefit and she'll say where and when?

by Anonymousreply 56312/09/2012

r560, listen, dearie:

it's "its" not "it's"

These things matter. It's the theatre thread, and so it's important we care about language and its usage

It's also more fun when this thread is about real gossip not Bunheads and its future

by Anonymousreply 56412/09/2012

Sutton Foster is a competent chorus girl who stepped in shit.

by Anonymousreply 56512/09/2012

disagree with r559. In her prime, what I think separated Rivera from someone like Verdon or Reinking was the fact that she sang BRILLIANTLY. Not since Chicago though, really, but listen to that album and also to the quality in BIRDIE. It's a great voice.

by Anonymousreply 56612/09/2012

r566

I suppose you think Carol Channing sang brilliantly in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes?

by Anonymousreply 56712/09/2012

[quote]Can someone explain why Roundabout would produce that second-rate Drood instead of say the NY premiere of The Visit, which would be a lock for a best musical slot?

1. The Roundabout only does revivals

2. The Visit is a terrible show that needs to be mothballed for good, but it deserves more than a cheap Roundabout production would afford it.

by Anonymousreply 56812/09/2012

Yes, Chita has a wonderful voice. I have all of her solo albums!

by Anonymousreply 56912/09/2012

Chita Rivera has a terrific voice. She's obviously not a pop singer like Mariah Carey but for what she does it's bright and brassy, it's very distinctive. Honestly, some of you people.

And I don't think anyone would ever describe Chita Rivera as bitter. A lot of the time, you showbiz observers are just projecting your unmet expectations and broken dreams on real performers. I've always heard Chita Rivera described as a force of nature and her achievements and longevity certainly speak to that.

I like her voice. I still enjoy listening to The Rink but I suppose that's just because I'm familiar with it. And, of course, she's right about West Side Story and I'm sure looking through the long lens of history, that only gets more true every year.

by Anonymousreply 57012/09/2012

You guys are nuts. She brays!

by Anonymousreply 57112/09/2012

Now you bitches can judge for yourselves. Stage Door Records is reissuing Chita's 2 solo LPs from the early 60s on one CD.

And Verdon only ever had ONE solo LP.

by Anonymousreply 57212/09/2012

I DO NOT BRAY!

by Anonymousreply 57312/09/2012

R568, if The Visit is such a terrible show, why why won't it die? Two well-known regionals have done it, with reviews in both cities saying Rivera gives the performance of a lifetime.

With all the swill that ends up on brodway, how is it possible it hasn't made it yet? In the music I hear echoes of Cabaret and Chicago. You'd think with all the money the Wei$$lers made off of the Chicago revival, they'd throw Kander and Reinking a bone. At the very least, get it recorded!

Here's Rivera singing a song from it, judge for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 57412/09/2012

Having seen The Visit, it is like Guys and Dolls compared to most of the new musicals that have opened on Broadway in the past 10 years including Kander and Ebb's Curtains. And Chita was brilliant in it. She still sings OK if not as great as she did when she first did Chicago (still the best version of All That Jazz and the best Velma). In The Vist she danced little, but it was her acting that was so impressive.

by Anonymousreply 57512/09/2012

I agree with R535. I like Sutton and tried watching Bunheads a few times, but she is SO over-the-top; almos like a bad high school performance. No subtlety whatsoever. I've read actors saying it can be hard to tone down from stage to tv (or film); George Hearn once frankly admitted he's not great at TV/film (I think he's too hard on himself.) Probably Sutton isn't getting much help from directors; in TV there usually isn't time. Agree that Kelly Bishop the only reason to watch - the girls are sometimes obnoxious. Too bad; there's a lot of potential: it can only improve. (but hey: I'm 20 years older than the target audience!)

by Anonymousreply 57612/09/2012

Watch out mlop, Chit's #2 superfan is vying for 1st place!

by Anonymousreply 57712/09/2012

Beloved NYC theatergoers, what did you think of Brantley's negative review of Glengarry? Amazing that David Harbour as Williamson was singled out (I mean, he's a good solid actor but usually it's the Roma who is mentioned most.) Is Pacino that bad? Direction misguided? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 57812/09/2012

Blame the writer r578!

by Anonymousreply 57912/09/2012

Nobody's the biggest fan of the Chitas than me. Do you not remember when she broke her leg in a taxi crush and lifts her leg high every time I walked into her hospital room. Now she's lifting her leg for everyone who sees her at Drood. Who does that at 80. I say Bravo.

by Anonymousreply 58012/09/2012

Chita Rivera in her prime was a great Broadway singer, and she was also an excellent actress.

I think the reason she didn't make it in films is two-fold: She had very sharp features that are great for the stage but not really meant for the screen, but even more importantly, she has/had VERY bad skin. I didn't realize this until I saw a TV clip from the late 1950s/early '60s in which she was wearing no makeup, and I was shocked at how bad her skin was. In SWEET CHARITY, she's wearing VERY heavy makeup, plus obviously the character is not supposed to be conventionally beautiful; but if you look real close, there's a huge closeup in "There's Gotta Be Something Better Than This" where her bad skin is visible even through about an inch and a half of makeup.

It's too bad she was denied a screen career for that reason. And of course, some of us would argue that (for example) she should have been cast as Rosie in the movie of BYE, BYE BIRDIE over Janet Leigh regardless.

by Anonymousreply 58112/09/2012

540 is a parody post. I know it in my heart. It has to be.

by Anonymousreply 58212/09/2012

I love you, R573!

(clink)

by Anonymousreply 58312/09/2012

I as surprised to learn that Dolores Gray also had very bad skin. The make-up department did a good job in her movies.

Kaye Ballard spills the beans about it in her memoir (Bert Lahr called Gray a "pock-marked bitch" or words to that effect).

by Anonymousreply 58412/09/2012

The A.R.T.'s Pippin is definitely headed to Broadway. Saw it on Friday.

Fantastic production, audience loved it. Patina Miller and Matthew James Thomas were great casting choices, and the circus performers create a magical setting.

by Anonymousreply 58512/09/2012

We do not want to hear ANY good news about that Pippin production at ART on DL!

by Anonymousreply 58612/09/2012

If I judged Chita's camera-ready looks just by the link at r571, I'd say she came off just fine. And the lighting and the photography there weren't even very flattering.

Carol Lawrence seemed to have the same problem as Chita. Beautiful on stage, less so on screen.

by Anonymousreply 58712/09/2012

When did the Glengarry NY Times review appear? I missed that one.

by Anonymousreply 58812/09/2012

r575: They threw Kander a bone with THE SCOTTSBORO BOYS.

by Anonymousreply 58912/09/2012

Kander was thrown more than just one bone with "The Scottsboro Boys."

by Anonymousreply 59012/09/2012

Patina Miller in PIPPIN? Is she doing Vereen's part, or is she Fastrada?

by Anonymousreply 59112/09/2012

Patina Miller is the Leading Player - Vereen's part, yes.

by Anonymousreply 59212/09/2012

There's one close-up shot of Anne Hathaway in Les Miserables where she looks like she was having a bad skin day. But it's just that one shot.

by Anonymousreply 59312/09/2012

Hugh on 60 Minutes: I don't know that bring him home sounded a little....I can't find the right word....awful? nasal?

by Anonymousreply 59412/10/2012

I will be attending the first preview of Dear World starring Betty Buckley in London.....and I have a mole!!!!

CHECK BACK HERE FOR UPDATES ABOUT BAT SHIT CRAZY BETTY'S RETURN!!!!

There will be blood I bet....

by Anonymousreply 59512/10/2012

R582..........lol, yes I was being not being at all serious.

by Anonymousreply 59612/10/2012

Will Sutton ever be able to hold a man?

by Anonymousreply 59712/10/2012

Good camera work, lighting, and make up can make ANYONE look good. People who fail to have a career onscreen, fail because they can't ACT for the screen, not because they have bad skins, ugly features, etc.

Also, Sutton isn't to blame with Bunheads. It's the horrible writing. No one talks like this. It's just one awkward joke after another. Doesn't come out of the life of any human character. It's just awful. Sutton handles as best as she can. She should just look at it as practice ground for a real network series or HBO/Showtime level show. Or movies.

by Anonymousreply 59812/10/2012

[quote]he should just look at it as practice ground for a real network series or HBO/Showtime level show. Or movies.

Sutton will never work in movies or HBO/Showtime....she is musical theatre....and that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 59912/10/2012

Sutton already worked on HBO - she had a running supporting role on "Flight of the Conchords". Because of that role she got the lead on "Bunheads".

by Anonymousreply 60012/10/2012

[quote]and I have a mole!!!!

You should see a dermatologist about that.

by Anonymousreply 60112/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.