Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm Moving To NYC And I Have More Questions Than Answers

So, because of how school ended up for me, I'm going to need to relocate to New York within the next six months.

I'm trying to encourage my husband to consider pulling up stakes and going on the sooner end of that rather than the later, since I'd like to be settled before classes start for me, and since once I finish with finals this semester, there's nothing holding us here but our lease, and we were going to have to break that anyway.

And I've asked my New Yorker friends, and they've given me some good answers, but I don't see any reason not to cast a wider net:

-Are there any neighborhoods (we're looking Manhattan/Brooklyn/Queens) that we should look at over others? I don't think either of us really care about nightlife, we just want something close to the subway.

-That said, we've also been thinking about finding something in Inwood. I'm not sure why, but there's something about it that appeals to us. However, I know it's predominantly Dominican, and neither of us speaks Spanish (although I'd like to learn). Would it be difficult for us to navigate?

-Is it better for me to fly our cat or drive him when we do relocate?

-My husband is from a very small town on Maryland's Eastern Shore. NYC is about as far removed from that as it goes. Living in Norfolk has been a reasonable dress rehearsal for this (although we didn't know it at the time), but I'm assuming he needs to visit more than once before we take the plunge for good? He's never been before.

-How long to I have to live there before I get to start looking down my nose at the flyovers? And if the answer is "You never do," is this because I'm an immigrant, or because I'm me?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22906/17/2013

New York can always use another hairstylist.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 111/21/2012

Just what NYC needs. 2 more broke girls. Hubby better have a job because student loans ain't gonna cut it. OP sounds like he's in one of his manic phases.

This does not bode well.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 211/21/2012

You might like Inwood, OP. I lived there for awhile. You can get a lot of space for a much lower price than anywhere else in Manhattan. We lived in a three bedroom at $1750 in the mid-00s. I eventually had to move to a much smaller neighborhood further south because it just took too long to get into the city. There were times when the language barrier could be a minor hassle, but if you are worried about any other "culture clashes", don't. The neighborhood is very diverse and you'll only feel awkwardness or tension if you project it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 311/21/2012

I have no idea about the NYC question but I think you should get Rosetta Stone and learn Spanish, now.

In my W Coast experience, the Latino neighborhoods tend to be mellower than black neighborhoods as far as being hassled and crime-wise, so as you sound both middle class Latino neighborhoods are better.

OTOH, when shit gets gentrified, they come for the Latino neighborhoods first because they are not as crime-filled and dangerous. There are gangs (again experience is just W Coast, not E Coast). GL.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 411/21/2012

Inwood is nice, but it's pretty far from midtown and downtown Manhattan, so it depends on how much you like taking the A train and commuting. It's a pretty fast ride as it goes express, but still.

Definitely check out Queens (Astoria, Woodside and Sunnyside are all nice and close to the trains). Brooklyn can be a long ride on the train unless you work downtown and it's more expensive than Queens.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 511/21/2012

I know a bunch of gays who live in Inwood and a little further south in Washington Heights. If you want to make friends close by, that might be a good place for you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 611/21/2012

Is Inwood safer than Washington Heights?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 711/21/2012

Tribeca is awesome. It's safe, fun, and stylish.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 811/21/2012

Yes, they are both safe, relatively speaking. But it's not Park Avenue either. You have a lot of Dominicans and they can get pretty loud in the summer with the salsa music and hanging around in Washington Heights.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 911/21/2012

Tribeca is multimillion dollar penthouse and loft condos and no convenient shopping, so you can forget that. The "otherside" east of Broadway is overpriced walkups with sky-high rents.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1011/21/2012

I'm pretty sure most of Manhattan is going to be out of our price range except for Inwood, Washington Heights, and maybe Hell's Kitchen.

[quote]I have no idea about the NYC question but I think you should get Rosetta Stone and learn Spanish, now.

Are those even any good? I would rather get to a point where I can actually be conversant. Especially since my main motivator in learning it is the knowledge that at least a significant minority of my patients will speak it as a primary language.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1111/21/2012

I wonder if Rosetta Stone would even help since Puerto Ricans and Dominicans speak dialects that are way different from standard Spanish.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1211/21/2012

Inwood sucks. It's too far north.

Over all I would say your best bet is to live as close as you can to work. Long commutes can be exhausting, and it can be deceptively long if you work downtown and say, live in inwood. Lots of people I know live in Astoria or sunny side in queens, or in Williamsburg or bushwick in brooklyn. For me, having lived in NYC for 10 years, the best thing by FAR if you are partnered is walking to work. New York is stressful enough without adding a commute.

Newport jersey city is a very cheap development (at least it used to be) that is right across water from west village.

The other thing I'd recommend is renting a hotel room in queens or jersey and spending 3 days letting brokers show you apts. and be extremely choosy. That is how I found my apt. And if you can't pay the fee, at least look with them for a few days to get a feel for the area.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1311/21/2012

You don't need to know Spanish to live anywhere in the tristate, including Washington heights!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1411/21/2012

Thank you for all of the answers, even the bitchy ones.

My husband is talking about heading back to school part time to get his MBA. Is the CUNY system any good, at least as far as getting a degree? He was talking about Hudson University, but I'm not sure about that one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1511/22/2012

You and your husband will be divorced within 2 years.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1611/22/2012

GREENPOINT. close to the city. simple neighborhood. up and coming. affordable.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1711/22/2012

I live in Wash Hts close to Inwood and often work on Wall St. - yes, it's a long long commute, but the neighborhood is very nice, a great feeling of being away from the City while still being in it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1811/22/2012

Two of my best friends live in Inwood and they love it. One of them works in Midtown, but the commute is still a bitch. The other is a pro cyclist, so he just rides his bike everywhere. Depends on which school you're attending, but plan on serious train time.

Eastern Harlem still has some affordable places. Just depends upon the block.

And Hudson has an amazing Criminal Studies program. Don't count it out!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1911/22/2012

Will you be going to med school, VotN? A lot depends on where you'll be heading every day. If you're going to P&S, Inwood would be ideal.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2011/22/2012

Hudon University does not exist.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2111/22/2012

Baruch has a decent MBA program and the best reputation among CUNY. Husdon U has a horrific crime rate, he should rule that out immediately!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2211/22/2012

CUNY is amazing. Hunter, Brooklyn College, Baruch all have phenomenal grad programs.

Live in Queens. Jackson Heights. Two express stops into the city. Tons of gays. Cheap (in comparison to manhattan) pre-war housing stock.

The convenient areas of Greenpoint are already too expensive ( I live there and have a 4th floor walk up, 850 sqf two-bedroom that is 2880 a month).

Williamsburg is wayyy too expensive. Maybe Crown Heights - but that's getting pretty far out there. Any Brooklyn 'hood that's under 30 minutes into the city is going to be pricey.

Did a quick search on nytimes.com for jackson heights apartments 2gs or under. lots of stuff. check out the link below.

Again, if commutation time is a primary issue - to Queens you go.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2311/22/2012

Do not go to Hudson if you are highly susceptible to being murdered.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2411/22/2012

An MBA from anything other than a Top 25 school is a complete waste of time and energy, especially if one is in NY.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2511/22/2012

Another vote for Jackson Heights.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2611/22/2012

You're kidding, right, OP?

You think you're going to be in NYC in a neighborhood where people don't speak English?

If you believe that you are no ready for the move, not by a long shot.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2711/22/2012

P.S. You're not going to be a New Yorker right away. You have to last there at least for a period of time to make that claim -- 10 years is the standard New Yorker answer.

You at least have to have a story that makes you a serious contender as someone who plans to stay.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2811/22/2012

The Voice of the Night/OP once you get settled in NYC throw a Datalounge party and invite all the Dataloungers from NYC.

They would all love to meet you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2911/22/2012

Voice of the night is over fifty...please.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3011/22/2012

we have too many educated people without skills. we need more skilled people...plumbers, electricians and so on.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3111/22/2012

we need people to work collections to recover all the money people borrowed for school.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3211/22/2012

VOTN: Since you responded to me about Spanish & RS - yes it works.

I'm on Disc 3 of German, I'm doing pretty well. If I were in Germany I would be doing even better than I am right now. I think you'd be pretty conversant in a few months.

You can buy RS from their website for $239 a year which is a little less than $20 a month.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3311/22/2012

Rosetta Stone is owned by a cult. Do not buy their shitty products.

A long commute might be good for OP because it'll give him time to study outside of the apartment.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3411/22/2012

great thread and info.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3511/22/2012

r34 what are you talking about? Link please. I can't find anything about the owner being into cults.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3611/22/2012

Commuting blows. It really does.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3711/23/2012

Votn just move as close to school as you can. Do they have student housing?

Lenox terrace apts in Harlem are lovely and cheap.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3811/23/2012

[quote]An MBA from anything other than a Top 25 school is a complete waste of time and energy, especially if one is in NY.

EXACTLY.

[quote]You're kidding, right, OP? You think you're going to be in NYC in a neighborhood where people don't speak English?

EXACTLY again.

VOTN, I'm not going to totally unleash on you because I'm one of the few people here who *likes* authenticateds, and I know you've been here for many years now, but you and your hubby BOTH need to get your fucking heads straight. Manhattan is not Texas. You are not going to encounter very many fresh-across-the-border Latinos who speak no English. You certainly *will* encounter many Chinese and Asians who don't, but non-English-speaking Latinos/Hispanics are rare in the NYC region.

As for your hubby, a MBA really is useless if you already have a strong post-collegiate work background and aren't going to a top-25 school. I have more friends than I can count who learned this the hard way, after spending six figures getting a degree only to find it did *nothing* to help their job prospects. Furthermore, you don't really "learn" much in business school aside from a bunch of general bullshit aphorisms; even a Harvard b-school kid will tell you the main point in going is to develop a network of connections, not to actually *learn* anything substantive. He's best off learning a specialized skill in an area with definitive long-term job growth; there'll be plenty of jobs developing over the next decade as Obama's health care plan is fully enacted, for instance.

Finally, as for where you live, you should not decide ANYTHING until you know FOR SURE where you and your hubby will be working/studying. Committing to Inwood would be hell if either of you had to commute to Queens, for instance, since east-west subway transit north of Times Square is nonexistent (and buses are best avoided if at all possible, both because they get stuck in traffic but also because they're primarily a transport vehicle for geriatrics in wheelchairs requiring a lengthy ramp-lowering process to enter -- few subway stations are equipped for the handicapped, so buses are the only way they can get around).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3911/23/2012

Very easy to figure out that VOTN will be attending Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine in Harlem. Touro is a chain of Osteopath schools, with locations in Vegas, Vallejo (CA), and PA.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4011/23/2012

r40, is Touro Osteo in former North Central Hospital?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4111/23/2012

We don't have an affiliate hospital. Clinical rotations are done at hospitals all over the city.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4211/23/2012

R39 is correct.

I lived in New York for 11 years before moving back to Sweden and don't consider myself a New Yorker even though I had hoped to stay permanently.

But even I knew before I went that New York City is so large you can't ask generally about where to live in New York (unless you think it's only Manhattan) and know nothing about your commute and costs.

OP, you have to give specific information about where you'll live and work for any information helpful, and if you do not know this, New York City is going to overwhelm you.

You need to visit the area where you will study, know the subway lines, ask how far you want to go without long commutes and start looking at where you can afford to go.

And if you do think that there are entire neighborhoods where no one speaks English, you are really unprepared for the city and don't know enough about it to move there, much less to bring your husband who has never been there and doesn't seem interested in going.

Are you going there because it's some dream?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4311/23/2012

Harlem is where it is happening OP. From 116 to 135 we have both the 2 and 3 express trains that run regularly (unlike the A) and get downtown quickly. No longer a food dessert, you can get most anything. Apartments are large and more affordable than in other hoods.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4411/23/2012

First - not sure if the A train is working yet from Inwood to Manhattan. I think that's one of the subway lines that is still under repair from Sandy.

Second, I never heard discussion of rental in NYC where budget was not the first factor and minimum size a close second. How much can you spend, and how much room do you need? Would a studio suffice? Next consideration is how accessible Manhattan or a different borough need to be. It can take you over an hour to get from Washington Heights to the village. A friend of mine opted to pay more for rent because as a med student he realized that living in the suburbs would require additional funds for the subway and taxies and he preferred to spend more money on rent and walk to school (especially since it seems he spends every free hour studying at the library and can then just walk home to eat and sleep).

Instead of asking random DL posters who have different budgets, attitudes, needs, etc. you are better off asking people who are already in your program what works for them. I have three friends in medical related fields, they all joined their school's Facebook group as soon as they enrolled and found apartment information through that. They also found their roommates in the same way.

Last - an MBA means absolutely nothing unless it is from a top school and , if you did not JUST graduate, backed up with a good first job. Teach for America is acceptable, but a "real" job is better.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4511/23/2012

[quote] have more friends than I can count who learned this the hard way, after spending six figures getting a degree only to find it did *nothing* to help their job prospects.

Baruch is cheap. It's CUNY.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4611/23/2012

Shouldn't Truro have a website with a forum where students discuss such things?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4711/23/2012

If there is the slightest delay down the subway line you are going to be soooo late for wherever you need to be if you are up in Inwood.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4811/23/2012

[quote]First - not sure if the A train is working yet from Inwood to Manhattan.

Inwood is in Manhattan.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4911/23/2012

Technically Inwood is on Manhattan Island - but it is not considered Manhattan. It's the Bronx.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5011/23/2012

I still think it's hilarious that OP and some other people here think you need Spanish to live in NYC.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5111/23/2012

It's not so much that I think I need it to live in New York. I think I need it because I know I'll eventually be seeing a lot of patients that speak it, and I'd like to be able to communicate with them directly.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5211/23/2012

That makes sense, but you did ask the original question, if I read it correctly, as to whether you could "navigate" the NYC neighborhood you want to live in because it's "Dominican" and you don't speak Spanish.

You really don't seem ready for this move.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5311/23/2012

I lived in NYC for 20+ years, 10 in Manhattan, 10 in northern Brooklyn (Greenpoint and Williamsburg). Depending on how much stuff you have and what you can't live without; I'd strongly urge you to sublet a furnished place for the first semester-you'll get a feel for the city and then what the subway/bus commute is that you can handle. Also, you'll meet folks at school who may have good leads on apartments (i.e. you can sublet the next semester from them or one of their friends). Inwood is a good neighborhood, but a haul to get on the subway to Midtown. Most of Manhattan is safe, but really expensive. Consider Jersey City or Hoboken-again initially subletting. NYC is one of those places where you either hate it or love it-that's why I suggest a sublet, you're not locked into a one or two year lease and a huge security deposit.

I moved to L.A. three years ago and am saving my money to get back to NYC. What I wouldn't give for a cinnamon raisin bagel from H&H!!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5411/23/2012

Sound advice, R54.

All of my friends from Scandinavia have done that. I stayed with friends and checked out neighborhoods. Others have sublet through Craigslist and then looked for apartments, which can be hell without brokers in NYC, and even then you have to plan that.

I went to two brokers one day, two the next, and was pressured to take apartments right away from three of them. If I hadn't planned those brokers back to back and had not been in the area where I felt I had options, I would have felt very pressured to take something that wasn't best for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5511/23/2012

"Technically Inwood is on Manhattan Island - but it is not considered Manhattan. It's the Bronx."

WRONG, but thanks for playing. Are you thinking of Marble Hill, that is technically Manhattan but is connected to the Bronx because of some engineering and that filling in of a river thing?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5611/23/2012

There's great advice on this thread. You will almost certainly be encouraged to look at Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Bedford Stuyvesant, and Bushwick. Someone has already suggested Crown Heights. All of these are gentrifying neighborhoods and I doubt that they are good choices for someone with your husband's small town background. I know many people who have rented in those areas and fled as soon as they could. If you are considering a gentrifying area, visit at the time that you will actually be commuting and otherwise walking around to determine his comfort level. You could consider Bay Ridge in Brooklyn and Forest Hills and Kew Gardens in Queens if the commute is workable. They are dull but affordable. It's been a long time since I have been there, but Riverdale in the Bronx might work. BTW, the subway is great but it will be a shock if you are used to the privacy, quiet and personal space of driving. If you plan on keeping a car, factor in the difficulty of getting onstreet parking or the cost of a garage.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5711/23/2012

Even if you learn spanish you will have to take a test proving your command of the language gives you 'medical competency' or the hospital requires a translator.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5811/23/2012

I love how many people here have tried to tell Voice that he's not ready to move there yet - give it up bitches, it's a city not a testing ground for godhood. He's doing the intelligent thing in asking people questions who might have firsthand experience, and you're trying to turn that into some weird negative. Oh, I get it - he should have learned allllll about the city and then reported to your stupid asses.

No, cunt - he asked for help. You had none to give. Now kindly go die in a grease fire.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5911/23/2012

If you're going to med school at touro Harlem then obviously you should live within walking distance.

Some girls I knew in college went to touro med and lived at this place called Lenox terrace, and we went to a party there like a couple years back. It seemed very nice and genteel. I think it is built over the subway. Has doorman.

They were skinny white girls from California. They told me the blind governor of NY had an apt there with his wife.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6011/23/2012

David Patterson does live in Lenox.

It is a great building with reasonably priced beautiful units. All doorman buildings and close to, but not over the subway.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6111/23/2012

Congratulations are due to VOTN.

He did it. Despite his voracious appetite for all of Pop Culture and various dramas over many years, he managed to successfully complete a pre-med program and get into some sort of medical school. I took the same courses before grad school. Not easy for "THEM!" (stoner non- pre-med students' term).

He started another thread about osteopathic medical schools, currently "Second Tier" colleges. All US docs must pass the same tough board exams and show clinical proficiency. I look forward to following the next four years on DL! And in Manhattan.

If Hubbs do not like it, VOTN, Truro-Cal U. Vallejo, is one of the cheapest places to live in the Bay Area -- you could get quite a house with pool for $2,000. You'd be very close to some of the best parts of NorCal and about an hour from SF by ferry or car, 90mins by bus and BART for weekend amusement. The campus recently opened on Mare Island, an historic Naval Port for WWII. Truro just opened a few years ago there and I've already interaced with scientists and PharmD interns from there and even got a vaccine by one at Rite-Aid. And they get ALL of the Jewish Holidays!!!

We desperately needed another medical sciences campus for the people of N. Cal. There are too many freaking Catholic U's round these parts. Will be nice to have an Orthodox Jewish one in the mix. The Mare Island location is perfect land use for the Bay. The new university is expanding fast. Predicting it will have a significant impact on local economy and healthcare.

But I digress... having made some pointlessly bitchy comments about your TV, reading, movie habits, and behavior, I want to say that I am impressed with your accomplishments so far and wish you good luck wherever it is that blows your skirt up!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6211/23/2012

I actually applied to the Vallejo campus as well. I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools, but unless Rush or Iowa give me a Hail Mary, Touro-NY is where I'm headed.

I wasn't really sure until I had my interview, but I really loved the place when I was there. While past performance is no guarantee of my own success, their residency match rate for both AOA and ACGME (both DO and MD residencies) is really high, and people tend to end up staying near or in the city. The school just seemed to really gel with my own values, and I know I'll get to see everything I want to see doing rotations in NYC.

Assuming that I live through my first two years and my boards, of course.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the advice, even the bitchy advice. Talking to my friends about it, the situation isn't exactly comparable to coming to the city straight out of college. And when I interviewed, I talked with a few of the students (my classmates, I suppose), and got some idea, but despite the propensity to reach for full on bitch, I generally find the advice I get here pretty damn solid.

Also, who am I voting for in the mayoral election? Christine Quinn?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6311/23/2012

What is the oldest book written about the Manhattan island? The shape is so earth-quake prone, actually can't be the shape without a lot of earthquakes. Be prepared, it can be once 300 years cycle. Anything can be happened. Here is some references I just googled.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6411/23/2012

one more.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6511/23/2012

VoTN, I applaud you for going back to school if that's your heart's desire. I couldn't do medicals school in my early 30s, knowing I had eight tough years of school and residency ahead of me. Have no doubt about this.

It's good as well that you're asking any source possible for advice, but the concern, however badly put, is that the questions themselves seem like they're coming from someone who has no clue of what he's getting into, especially if you're giving up a relatively settled life to live again as a student and taking a spouse there who has never been to the city at all? It's a lot.

And you may be joking, but asking other people when you can be called a New Yorker, not someone from a flyover state, and who to vote for just comes off as ... really really awkward.... and like you really are viewing this through the lens of some New York fantasy and not reality.

P.S. Quinn hasn't declared her run for Mayor yet, and just asking off the cuff if you should vote for her without knowing about any of the corruption charges or controversies she's been in really makes you sound like the flyover New York want-to-be that you're trying hard not to be. Go quietly, humbly, get experience there and be informed, for crying out loud.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6611/24/2012

[quote]It's good as well that you're asking any source possible for advice, but the concern, however badly put, is that the questions themselves seem like they're coming from someone who has no clue of what he's getting into, especially if you're giving up a relatively settled life to live again as a student and taking a spouse there who has never been to the city at all?

Couple things:

My life since I returned to school three years ago has been far from settled. I've been a full-time student for that length of time. Nothing about relocating to the city is going to be different except that rent will be more expensive and we'll be getting rid of our cars. I am sure there will be plenty of culture shock, but that's to be expected. I'm just looking for tips to help us minimize that.

My husband has been the one throughout all of my ups and downs who kept me from packing it in. He always believed in me even when I didn't believe in myself. We knew this was the end-game. We both wanted a change of scenery, even though I know that the inside of one hospital looks like the inside of another, and that's all I'm going to be seeing for a while. When I was doing my applications, the only thing that really influenced the geography was that I tried to focus on schools in states where gay marriage is legal or at least recognized.

Despite what you might think, I don't air my entire life for your consumption. Don't assume that just because I haven't stated that we haven't discussed some of this stuff ad naseum that I'm just thinking about it now. Trust me, we have had plenty of discussions about this. But I frankly wouldn't let myself think too far ahead because I was afraid of setting myself up to be disappointed. Hell, until they processed my deposit, I was convinced I'd get another letter saying they'd made a terrible mistake.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6711/24/2012

VoTN, that sounds more balanced.

I don't know anything about you and only saw your code name posted above. What I wrote has nothing to do with perceptions about your life as talked about here on this site.

The only issue that I (and apparently others) have seen from the posts you have made on this thread makes you seem very unaware of what life in New York is like, from some mythical source.

Because your husband has never been and the questions and statements you have posted seem like you really are unprepared for what's coming, my comments at least were just about making it clear that this is not just about cost. Not at all.

As someone who lived there for a long time coming from Europe, for me it was about being smart. Paying attention, not getting caught up about being in New York or having no sense of the city.

You need to go and learn the details of the city before you make some major decisions you will regret while you're in medical school. You're not going to get that here or from your friends.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6811/25/2012

VOTN look for blogs or writers how live in NY send them e mail.

I have done this when visiting foreign countries and learned a lot this way.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6911/25/2012

Manhattan? I just can't. The rents are too high. I found a place in Bay Ridge. I had a 1,400 sq. ft. apt for $1400, top floor of a house, 3 brs with a big terrace. It's not close in. But you get the N at 59th Street and it's only a few stops into the city. Very safe neighborhood. The Mob. (You never know if the little old lady you're about to mug has a killer son who already knows your address.) Shore Road by the Verrazano is nice. I lived there 15 years before moving out to a small town on Long Island to be close to my ailing father. Surprisingly, it takes almost as much time for me to drive into the city from here (Northport) as it did coming home on the subway. Maybe not Bay Ridge, then...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7011/25/2012

Earlier relocation is probably a good idea; and real estate prices are at their lowest (which isn't very low) in the winter.

First, I would suggest you take a look at the subway map.

Will you be attending classes at one place, or all over the city? If you're mostly going to be in one area, find the closest stops and work your way out to Queens or Brooklyn (or up to the Bronx). Staten Island is not really a good commuter option unless you are working in lower Manhattan (and of course right now, the real estate is severely damaged).

The people recommending Jackson Heights are also on the right track; take a look at the N line and the 7 line; those are good, reliable lines and depending what stop, a fairly easy commute into Manhattan. I have friends who have rented and purchased in Long Island City, Kew Gardens and Forest Hills (I think Jamaica is too far out...I commuted from there for awhile and it was exhausting).

The 7 train ends at Times Square (for now, eventually it's going to the far West Side), the N does a "U" from Ditmars/Astoria through Manhattan and heads out to Brooklyn/Coney Island (also too far to commute).

Brooklyn is, and remains, a "hot" place to live, and some of the neighborhoods will be way out of your price range.

I've been happily ensconced in Astoria for a number of years, and enjoy its proximity to Manhattan, as well as the neighborhoody feel. It's an odd mix of working artists and families. Also, a fair amount of medical personnel from Mt. Sinai Queens in our specific blocks. There are more high-rises than there used to be (look into an 80/20 building; we did, and got in at a middle-income rate), but there are still many mom & pop landlords who live on one floor and rent out the other (so a lot of people I know have access to a backyard and a driveway).

I'm a travel editor, and can highly recommend this book (linked below), which I've just edited, for some basics, that include techniques for relocating and living in NYC. (Make sure it's the 5th edition).

In addition: New Jersey. Certainly not Hoboken right now (and it's expensive anyway), but two people I know (interestingly, both D.O.s) live just on the far side of the Hudson, and take the bus in every day, and find their quality of life is better than when they lived in the city.

You get a bus that goes either across the GW Bridge, or through the Lincoln Tunnel to the Port Authority, then subway it from there.

If you want to chat further, my name's in the book, and I'm pretty easily searched.

Best of luck! It's a great city.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7111/25/2012

The Bronx has some large and cheap units. I tend to do things uptown, not midtown so Queens and Brooklyn are a big pain for me.

Get near your school or on a direct subway line to it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7211/25/2012

A penthouse on Park Ave, dah-link. Nothing else will do.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7311/25/2012

OP, don't listen to the plebes who would have you believe there's life outside Manhattan. Have you considered a loft in TriBeCa? The UES also has some charming penthouse apartments with skyline views, if you're into that sort of thing.

Namaste.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7411/25/2012

VOTN, you're going to wind up doing rotations at some of the five borough's worst hospitals (it's the pecking order of both medicine and NYC colliding). If you want to be in Manhattan, look at Hamilton Heights. Check out the link or, as mentioned above, Lenox Terrace. Don't sign a lease longer than one year. At that point, you'll know where to live.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7511/25/2012

BTW (I forgot), the owners of gonofee graduated from Touro Law. They aren't upstanding people but they will cut you some slack for being a "Touro affiliate."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7611/25/2012

Stay away from the link at R75 TOTAL scam.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7711/26/2012

VOTN (whom I've always liked) has been on DL many, many years ... how is he still in school? Or is this a change of career?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7811/26/2012

[quote]VOTN (whom I've always liked) has been on DL many, many years ... how is he still in school? Or is this a change of career?

I went back to school in 2009 in an attempt to make this gigantic career transition.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7911/26/2012

R66 must be new here to be so presumptuous.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8011/26/2012

VOTN, I'm not clear on your geographic needs (for easy travel), but if you're looking for affordability and a somewhat less urban feel, I'd try Astoria first, Bay RIdge second. Astoria is hipper, Bay Ridge more "old" Brooklyn, but both are neighborhoody and livable. Oh, and also check out Ditmas Park, especially some of the small apartment buildings near the Cortelyou Road subway station. It's a mini-hip enclave, more ala Portland than Williamsburg (good food coop, coffee shops/restaurants, etc.) Proximity to Prospect Park is also a plus there.

Good luck!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8111/26/2012

Other Queens neighborhoods that might work, esp. for your partner are Whitestone, Willets Point, Sunnyside, Bayside and Long Island City.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8211/26/2012

r77, what makes you think gonofee is a scam. It's how I got my apartment. I don't like the management, but they delivered as advertised.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8311/27/2012

Of course they did R83 and you neither own, nor have any interest in this scam agency that lives to post ads on CL to lure the unsuspecting.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8411/29/2012

Along with former Governor David Paterson, Congressman Charles Rangel (Chairman of the Ways and Means Committee) lives at the Lenox.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8511/29/2012

Manhattanville.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8611/29/2012

R84, seriously, tell me what you know specifically. I've referred students to gonofee and they've told me they had good experiences. But you seem to have experienced (or seen) something different (assuming you are telling the truth). Was there a specific building or buildings of Artemis holdings that didn't live up to the hype?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8711/29/2012

R15 and R19 Please, PLEASE tell me you are joking about Hudson College (well I know R21 and R24 are in on the joke.)

I'm laughing my ass off over here! Hudson is a fictional college used by the Law and Order franchises and other TV shows whenever the writers need to pull the name of a college or university out of their collective asses.

You wouldn't want to go there anyway. Hudson is where Cliff Huxtable's dancing, sweater-wearing ass graduated.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8811/29/2012

OP/VOTN seems extremely naive and unprepared about this (not to mention his husband). I would seriously suggest reconsider moving to NYC if I was him. A place that has a lot more of a suburban feel sounds more up VOTN's alley. Not everyone is ready for NYC, girls!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8911/30/2012

R87 I stupidly signed up after seeing ads on CL for go no fee.

They had just listed what I thought was the perfect apartment, everything I wanted.

I get on the scam site and no such apartment exists. I then go back and forth from their CL ads and the site and NONE of the apartments they were using to get people to their site existed.

The units I found on no fee were shitty boxy garbage overpriced bits of shit. I complained and asked for a refund. Of course I never got it.

I live at Lenox Terrace now, rent stabilized, no fee, big terrace, doorman etc.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9011/30/2012

Thanks, r90. We're talking about different companies. Gonofee.com is partnered with Artemis construction and they own their buildings. They don't list on CL.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9111/30/2012

I've also heard good things about Parkchester, in the Bronx, which is a renovated, subsidized development of highrises which is near public transit and has a lot stores & things around.

We looked at it but decided to stay in Queens, because we both work well below 34th St.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9211/30/2012

R91.

You are wrong.

I just went back and checked. I found 11 listings for gonofee.com and 6 for nofee.com

The agency linked is all over craigslist every single day with ads that link you to this webpage.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9311/30/2012

r93, I don't want to hijack VOTN's thread but I just checked the link below and there isn't a single post from gonofee.com.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9411/30/2012

r93, nope, I'm wrong. I did a search and found what you found. I'll no longer send students to that site.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9511/30/2012

r95=r91

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9611/30/2012

R94 is also wrong....you have to read the posts R94 you can't do a search because they don't use the name in the searchable field but in the link.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9711/30/2012

Did I read that right? This dizzy queen thinks he needs to learn Spanish to move to NYC?

Is she off her meds again?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9811/30/2012

r97, here you go.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9911/30/2012

Is it too touristy to go to the Intrepid Museum to see the Space Shuttle?

Is it too touristy to go the Angel of the Waters fountain?

And, boppers, would it be too weird to try to make it from Van Courtlandt Park back to Coney in a single night, or can you dig it?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10001/05/2013

Another vote for Queens, specifically the Long Island City/Sunnyside/Woodside/Jackson Heights region. All of these neighborhoods are situated around mass transit and they're much less expensive than certain parts of Brooklyn.

I'm a Sunnyside resident myself and I'm very happy with the neighborhood. I found my apartment through Craigslist at a reasonable price and it was no-fee. Of course I'd prefer to be living in Downtown Brooklyn or Manhattan, but I could see myself getting too comfortable to leave the area. My commute into the city is generally fine (7 train maintenance notwithstanding) and I think I get a dignified standard of living for my proximity to Midtown. Not only are there attractive bars and restaurants in Sunnyside, but there are also conveniences like a Starbucks, an NYSC and a Stop & Shop. Plus, I'm proud to say that our district is represented by out council member Jimmy Van Bramer!

Although Jackson Heights is "slower" than LIC or Sunnyside, it certainly has its benefits -- namely a glut of affordable pre-war apartments. My sister lives in the neighborhood and she pays less than $1800/month for her palatial 2-bedroom. Moveover, her daily commute to her West Village office is fairly uncomplicated and straightfoward. Both her home and work addresses are on the E-line.

I don't have much insight into Astoria, but I would certainly look there before I'd even consider a location like Inwood. Not to dump on the neighborhood, but I believe you're better served going elsewhere. My cousin lives there so I'm familiar with what it has to offer. It doesn't really feel "happening" as far as restaurants and shops are concerned. I can also attest to the fact that the commute to-and-from Midtown is quite a bitch. Even if you take the A express train there, it's still a long ride between stops. And on top of everything else, I think Inwood's crime rate is significantly higher than other parts of the city. You may land a generously sized apartment and a Manhattan address if move there, but I think Queens offers a better quality of life.

Regarding Brooklyn -- I saw a few posts suggesting Greenpoint, but I wouldn't entertain that as a possibility. Prices there are on comparable to Williamsburg and Fort Greene. Bushwick is touch and go and I think people exagerate the gentrification of Bed Stuy, Crown Heights and Clinton Hill.

Just my $0.02.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10101/05/2013

Great post, r101.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10201/05/2013

If you do try to make it from Van Cortlandt to Coney, you should be wary of gangs wearing face paint and carrying baseball bats, riding on rolling skates, or trying to seduce you although they are lesbians. Then again, the city is much safer these days.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10301/05/2013

Jackson Heights has 6 gay bard/clubs if that sort of thing matters.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10401/05/2013

I appreciate your input, R101. I'm not really opposed to Queens or Brooklyn, but it looks like one of us is going to have a long commute no matter which neighborhood we in up in. I'm actually starting to warm to the idea of East Harlem. I think I finally managed to get him to warm to the idea of visiting for a long weekend in a few weeks, but that's going to be complicated by the fact that I'm having the second surgery on my ear, so we'd be taking the train, which I don't mind, really, it just takes forever.

And R103, than you so much for getting that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10501/06/2013

Also, so I shouldn't be looking at Bed-Stuy? I know to take Craigslist with a grain of salt, but there seem to be a bunch really nice, relatively affordable no-fee apartments there.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10601/06/2013

"Jackson Heights has 6 gay bard/clubs if that sort of thing matters"

Classy, forsooth!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10701/06/2013

Oy.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10801/06/2013

Okay. So, I'm not going to embarrass VOTN too much here. But we've had a lot of these same discussions one on one, and there's things we don't talk about on DL since he introduced me to this place over 10 years ago. I will say I shared some of the same concerns as other posters, but not all of them. He's not quite as helpless as he sometimes sounds.

I started out in Bay Ridge a number of years ago and I recommend it, although it is a long haul to midtown let alone Harlem and it has gotten more expensive since I first moved here. I think a lot of people's suggestions are solid and as I've also said, looking to Queens or Jersey is not a bad idea. When I worked in midtown, at least 75% of my team in my workplace came in on the train from Jersey every morning. They got in and out very quickly, probably quicker than me in Brooklyn. It's not a terrible idea but I expect the commute into Harlem might be difficult.

With Bed Stuy you go and physically see every single listing, don't assume. Places there tend to goes from lovely to hovel from block to block, from Cosby Show brownstones to Skid Row, and ultimately when I was still living with people we opted for something in Kensington instead, which I'm still not entirely convinced is an actual real neighborhood so much as a rental branding name (like "East Williamsburg," which is really the shittier parts of Bushwick). And Kensington sometimes was spotty too. But AFAIC that's New York, and that's Brooklyn. Bottom line, nothing you get is going to be tree-lined flower gardens. It's going to be New York, and it's going to be real, and it's going to be up and down. IMO the priority is the place where you can reasonably commute and feel mostly safe. But wherever you end up will be humble. Humble but, if you pick right, decent.

I do think VOTN needs to visit at least once or twice before settling (and he won't be staying with me, for a variety of reasons). He needs to get a feel for the rhythm of the city and the neighborhoods and what this is really going to take day to day, and that's not even getting into the financial issue. His husband makes the money right now and I'm not sure what his job would be. That has to be settled. A lot of things have to be settled, and you have to come here, get your nose in it, and understand how it works day to day, block to block, neighborhood by neighborhood.

And yes, you can ride the subway after midnight. In fact, you'll have to.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10901/06/2013

P.S. - I also would recommend Queens, but I've never lived over there so I don't know the ins and outs of its train access and thus the viability of transport to Harlem.

Bushwick: Don't do it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11001/06/2013

I live in Hudson Heights (real estate agent speak for the north west part of Washington Heights near the river and Fort Tryon Park) and it is fantastic, I love it, and the commute's the same as coming in from Brooklyn or Queens( both places I lived for a long while) - the A train is super fast and reliable. Much more reliable than any train I've had to deal with in this city, actually.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11101/06/2013

You will be much happier in West Harlem than in East. East has lousy transit.

Queens is like Kansas. Too far away.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11201/06/2013

At the risk of turning into Queens' cheerleader-in-residence...I wouldn't exactly dismiss it as Kansas, R112.

It may have some neighborhoods that are more remote than others (it is the largest borough after all), but all of my previous suggestions are within a decent proximity to Manhattan. Especially Long Island City which is just one stop on the 7 train from Grand Central. And while LIC may just be getting costlier and costlier, I think there are still good deals to be had on the "sparser" side of Vernon Boulevard.

I've had experience venturing out into the less "sexy" parts of Brooklyn (i.e. Bay Ridge, Midwood, Brighton Beach) and I can certainly attest to the fact that they are long hauls from NYC. Certainly longer than a trip to Jackson Heights which has comparable market value.

That being said, I'm not familiar with East Harlem but it seems like a good place to land if you're both working throughout the city.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11301/06/2013

I live in Jackson Heights, and if you are close to the Roosevelt Avenue station, you have access multiple trains - E, F, R, M (weekdays only) and #7. You can get pretty much anywhere in Manhattan you need to be, below 59th Street. without having to switch lines.

Other than Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn, where there are also multiple lines, most neighborhoods in Brooklyn and Queens offer service via one line which limits your access and, if that one line is out for maintenance on a weekend, your screwed.

Remember that the subways are the lifelines of NYC - very few people have cars. Look at what happened after Sandy - when the subways are down, the city cannot function.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11401/06/2013

r109: are you are summarizing your private conversations with votn?

first of all, nobody gives a shit. second of all, what the fuck is wrong with you?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11501/06/2013

VOTN, I have two friends (a playwright and an actor) in a gorgeous E. Harlem rental who really like the neighborhood; they got it through another friend who's a real estate agent who understands the needs of working people & artists (she's gotten ACTORS into co-ops, and found co-ops that are specifically for middle-income people).

So consider a sublet at first, because you can always take them for a short time to see how you like a certain neighborhood, and if you're looking to really settle in, I'd be happy to pass along my friend's info.

I'm easily found if you search Drunken! Careening! Writers! and En Avant Playwrights.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11601/06/2013

Is Astoria still very Greek?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11701/06/2013

woodside? i have a couple of gay mates who live there. commutes pretty reasonable into city.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11801/06/2013

I'm excited for you, VoTN. Congratulations on all of your hard work. You've done so well, and you've been a reliable voice of sanity on DL for years. Smooches.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11901/06/2013

You're very welcome VOTN.

As for long commutes, they suck, especially when something goes wrong. However, if you have to deal with it, you figure out how to make it through. Read, listen to music, play games, or if you have a seat, you're really tired and feeling bold, take a nap.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12001/06/2013

If you have $380K you can buy our studio in London Terrace. Let me know! It's a bargain!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12101/06/2013

When I was 17, Les Paul discovered me. He mentored me for a few years, and I became a studio musician. Over the years, I have worked for all the big stars from Sinatra to Streisand.

And during that time, I bought my tri-plex. Over the years I bought 6 more on the same block, kicking out the rent controlled people to renovate the spaces. Bottom line, I sold 4 of them during the 4th quarter and I now have a large chunk of change. I'm putting the other 2 on the market in the spring. I will end up at my 600 acre (paid for in full for 20 years) retreat near Blue Ridge, Georgia. I get half of my electricity from solar cells, and another 40% from wind power. My electricity bill last month was $13!

I love it down there, but every once in a while, I need a NYC fix. That is why will always keep my space here.

Just remember, NYC is an expensive place to live. If I wasn't loaded, I'm not sure I would keep my place.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12201/06/2013

Time Warner Cable or FIOS?

We're finally making a trip up in March once I can fly again.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12301/29/2013

Such drama. Life would be so much easier and affordable for you and your partner/husband if you came to Tuoro U. in California at Mare Island to focus on studying medicine rather than sweat all these NYC issues. Great place to visit, but...

As long as you do reasonably well in your first year, the option to transfer out here will always be open.

The Bay Area is booming again. Husband can find a great job. Am not a bay area chamber of commerce shill, but have seen your evolution on here for years. You guys would thrive in Northern California. Jus hella sayin'.

Wishing you good luck with medical school and existence in general, wherever you land.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12401/30/2013

Bed-Stuy is also not the best place for commuting. Every time I had to go to visit someone in Bed Stuy, the lines always seemed so inconvenient. It's really bus territory.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12501/30/2013

I'm sorry, I'm still giggling about the Rosetta Stone thing, thinking about these two going up to some tough Dominican guy on a corner in Washington Heights all "hola senor! donde esta THE SUBWAY?"

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12601/30/2013

[quote]kicking out the rent controlled people to renovate the spaces

You obviously do not live in NY. You can't just "kick out" rent controlled people that easily.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12702/10/2013

r122, you seem fake. Rent controlled tenants can't be just kicked out. Every owner is allowed on unit for his own personal use in a building, but no housing court would ever allow you to jut get rid of a rent controlled tenant for your profit. Why would there be even a single one left?

[quote]Is it too touristy to go to the Intrepid Museum to see the Space Shuttle?

No, it is a really great museum, and not enough savvy NYers take advantage of it. Go, you'll love it!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12802/10/2013

We'd narrowed our list down to about ten different neighborhoods to check out, but now my husband has gotten the idea that Bensonhurst would be a good idea, but given that it's an hour away from school in one direction for me at best, and that the only other thing I really know about the area is what I've learned from Sonny Corinthos on General Hospital, I don't know about that one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12902/10/2013

Okay, just looking for general opinions on the neighborhoods we're concentrating on:

Manhattan: Washington Heights, Inwood, Hell's Kitchen, East Harlem

Brooklyn: Bed-Stuy, Bushwick, Greenpoint, Bensonhurst (for the husband)

Queens: Astoria, Jackson Heights, Woodside, Sunnyside

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13002/18/2013

West Harlem is cheaper and nicer than any mentioned.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13102/18/2013

Look in Hoboken NJ or Long Island City NY, both subway away from NYC.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13202/18/2013

[quote]Look in Hoboken NJ or Long Island City NY, both subway away from NYC.

School for me is in Harlem, so I don't know that having to take the PATH train is really ideal. We looked at LIC, but found a lot of the listed rents higher than what we were looking to pay.

I appreciate the advice, though.

I know I agonize over every little decision, and it drives many of you crazy, but this is the biggest thing I've ever done, so I need all the advice I can get.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13402/18/2013

East Harlem only has the 4, 5, 6, lines.

West Harlem has the A,B,C,D, 2, and 3 with 4 of those running express. East Harlem is a nighmare.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13502/18/2013

If your school is in Harlem, all the Brooklyn neighborhoods will be a NIGHTMARE commute - absolutely endless and difficult, with transfers and train changes. You'll spend more time on the train than at school. And on weekends, there is ALWAYS track work in the outer boroughs which means trains run with far greater frequency, if they run at all....

The Manhattan neighborhoods you list will be easy commutes, as they are all on the West Side and have good subway access.

The Queens neighborhoods are OK - Astoria is the easiest commute, since there is a great bus (M60 line) that runs every 10 minutes from LaGuardia Airport along Astoria Blvd. and across the Triboro Bridge to Manhattan, then across 125th Street all the way to Broadway, then down past Columbia University to 104th Street.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13602/18/2013

How about The Bronx or lower Westchester? You could commute down on Metro North. Also look at NJ just the other side of the GWB. You definitely don't want to live in Bensonhurst - the commute would be much more than just an hour for you. You might look into Ft. Greene in Brooklyn. It is an up-and-coming neighborhood and there are still some good deals out there.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13702/18/2013

Sorry, a typo - I meant to say on weekends in the outer boroughs the trains run with far LESS frequency...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13802/18/2013

Bronx is great, lower Westchester will be another nightmare commute.

Where exactly is this school?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13902/18/2013

Yes VOTE FOR QUINN ! She was a fine AIDS Activist back when it was life or death in every hood . She was one of us great lesbians that actually gave a damn. She is still a working class broad at heart, and it will give the billionaires tremendous heartburn to have to bow & scrape for favors from a red headed, lesbian. She believes in global warming, she has happily married her long term partner, she is a great DEM and loves her some gay people, and celebrates diversity and is Frickin cool.

Yes, she has to suck up to big biz, that is the only way to get elected in NYC. People rag her ass mercilessly, and welcome to reality - real estate will always be THE ISSUE (until NYC floods again from Climate Change).

If BILL & HIL like her, that should be enough for you!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14002/18/2013

[quote]You might look into Ft. Greene in Brooklyn.

It was on my list, but my husband nixed it because most of the rents we were finding were a bit on the high side for him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14102/18/2013

Is your school East or West Harlem? That makes a difference.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14202/18/2013

[quote]Where exactly is this school?

125th St.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14302/18/2013

Why would lower Westchester be a nightmare? He could take Metro North to the 125th street stop and walk a couple of blocks. It would certainly be much faster than commuting from Bensonhurst.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14402/18/2013

East or West 125, VOTN?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14502/18/2013

Did we decide if it's East Harlem or West Harlem? If West Harlem then being near the A line in Brooklyn wouldn't be too bad. I live in Windsor Terrace/Kensington and usually take the F to the A. Bed-Stuy scares me. I know more and more people are moving there but I remember when you didn't dare go there after dark. And Bushwick. Also a place the hipsters are colonizing. I guess the L or M train would become your friend.

Bensonhurst just seems crazy.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14602/18/2013

W 125th at Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. It's across the street from the Apollo Theater and the place where Bill Clinton has his offices.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14702/18/2013

125 goes from the West to the East Rivers. It is a very long street.

What is the cross street?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14802/18/2013

Forget Spanish Harlem, yet another nightmare commute.

East to West is a hassle.

From 125 to 145 on the West Side you will find excellent subway lines, beautiful neighborhoods, cheap rents and you can walk to school cutting your commute from hours to minutes.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but check out Lenox Terrace. Doorman buildings with parking and rent stabilized one bedrooms for under 2k.

Don't be a fool and live on the expensive subway...live in your home instead.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14902/18/2013

When I went for my interview, I took the 2 from Times Square, and it was about a block north from the 125th St station, if that helps.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15002/18/2013

It helps....read above. West Harlem no question.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15102/18/2013

Putting it on the list.

Seriously, thanks for all your input.

Several of my classmates live in West Harlem, so I should probably take the hint.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15202/18/2013

Would West Harlem be listed as something else on Craigslist? Like how Hell's Kitchen is Midtown West or Clinton?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15302/18/2013

Nice neighborhood, good rents, convenient, GREAT butcher on 116th, excellent fish stores West Harlem is happening.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15402/18/2013

Just to put things in perspective, a monthly subway pass is $109 and it's going to go up soon. I have a friend who lives near 116th St station on the 2 line and I've gone to visit him. The apartments aren't glam but they're pretty reasonable. By living a walkable distance from school you'd save subway fare and could be at school quickly.

I'd give a lot of thought to living somewhere between 96th St and, say, 180. It's not fancy, but long long commutes on the train really affect your quality of life for the worse.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15502/18/2013

Hey Voice, congratulations! I'm happy for you. I lived in NYC for a decade but that was several years ago, so my advice might be a little out of date. Like several others on this thread, I'd advise you to live in Harlem if that's where your school is. If DO training mirrors allopathic then you won't have clinical rotations for two years. At the M3 point, since you will be doing rotations all over the city, you'll want to be in a neighborhood where you can easily commute everywhere, like Fort Greene in Brooklyn. It's a little pricy, so you might try saving money on rent the first two years so that you will be in a better position to commute for the last two years.

I agree with those who think you should sublet first. Once you have lived in NYC for a year or two and you know which neighborhood you want to be in, it might be worth it to suck it up and pay a realtor's fee. If you get into a rent-stabilized apartment early enough you can easily recoup the cost of the fee.

Inwood is waaay too far, in my opinion. When I lived in Washington Heights, it was drug central. Maybe things have improved there. Astoria and Jackson Heights will both give you a lot of bang for your buck. Good luck!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15602/18/2013

"Would West Harlem be listed as something else on Craigslist?"

It used to be called Spanish Harlem.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15702/18/2013

Oops, 157 here. Spanish Harlem is on the East Side.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15802/18/2013

West Harlem is also called Morningside Heights.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15902/18/2013

Just be aware that realtors stretch the boundaries of the most desirable areas.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16002/18/2013

I just typed in West Harlem and got a ton of listings. Not seeing what your problem is.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16102/18/2013

Never sublet and never pay a realtor fee.

Realtors are notorious for coming on these threads and spreading the mythology that they can access stabilized apartments that will save you in the long run.

It is never true.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16202/18/2013

[quote]Tribeca is awesome. It's safe, fun, and stylish.

And expensive as all hell.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16302/18/2013

[quote]I just typed in West Harlem and got a ton of listings. Not seeing what your problem is.

When I tried, most of the listing came up as either "Harlem/Morningside" or "Upper West Side." I was figuring most of Morningside Heights would be jacked-up rent for Columbia students with rich parents, but I'll keep it in mind.

Again, thanks for everything.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16402/18/2013

I had three years of Spanish way back in high school. I can read it pretty flawlessly but I cannot grasp Puerto Rican Spanish. Dominican Spanish I can catch quite a bit of though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16502/18/2013

OP, Hamilton Heights might be listed in Craigslist. It's the area of West Harlem from 135th to 155th Streets. Above 155th is Washington Heights.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16602/18/2013

VOTN, this site might help you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16702/18/2013

VOTN, if Fort Greene is too expensive, your best hope is in the cheapest part of Queens. Period. Or go deep into the outer boroughs and be prepared for a long commute.

If you're a student you have to live like a student, and if he can't carry you in the lifestyle to which you've been accustomed, in New York, you have to have a long commute.

You need to accept this now and focus.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16802/19/2013

[quote]VOTN, if Fort Greene is too expensive, your best hope is in the cheapest part of Queens. Period. Or go deep into the outer boroughs and be prepared for a long commute.

He's been looking at a site called "NakedApartments" and of the neighborhoods I've suggested (based on recommendations here), he's said that Fort Greene, Long Island City, and East Williamsburg were the most expensive.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16902/19/2013

r123, Time Warner serves all of Manhattan. Verizon FIOS is in limited areas. In buildings of more than 50-units RCN may be available with Triple Play.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17002/19/2013

As someone else noted, you might consider lower Westchester, particularly the Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon. Mt. Vernon proper is a crime-ridden cesspool, but Fleetwood is a very separate neighborhood, adjacent to its uber-upscale neighbor Bronxville. It has its own Metro North station and is a 20 minute train ride to 125th. The Metro-North trains are much nicer than the subway, but do run less frequently (last train is at 2 am, I believe) and cost more. However, the rents in Fleetwood have always been very reasonable, and there is a lot in the area that will probably make your husband happy.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17102/19/2013

The rents in Fleetwood will be just as high as in Harlem and you will spend time and money on Metro North.

Very bad idea.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17202/19/2013

Washington Heights and especially Inwood are neighborhoods changing for the better - gentifying, and now they even have gay bars! Especially the western side of the Heights, near Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, Yeshiva University, and up toward Castle Village.

They'll also be more reasonable rent-wise than neighborhoods lower down in Manhattan, and will be an easy commute to school (the A train runs express from 168 to 125, with only 2 stops inbetween).

Think about it, VOTN.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17302/19/2013

Harlem is a black neighborhood, isn't it?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17402/19/2013

Not anymore R174. You must be a flyover frau.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17502/20/2013

R169, VOTN, as nice as you seem to be, it's comments like you just posted that make this seem like an EST, which I assume is definitely not.

NakedApartments? Come on.

First of all, I don't care what your husband thinks he knows from his out of state research. The ADVICE was IF you think Brooklyn and Fort Greene is too expensive, you need to be thinking Midwood, Borough Park, Queens (far East in Queens) or far North of Manhattan.

Stop considering areas that are easily way over 1500/mo in rent (most of the nice areas that are centrally located). PERIOD.

But as for his analysis. What a crock.

"East Williamsburg" (between "West Williamsburg" or the Bedford-Grand part of Williamsburg and Bushwick) is NOT the most expensive in the city. In Williamsburg and Queens it gets cheaper as you move away from the city.

In central Brooklyn, there are pockets of very expensive neighborhoods and Fort Greene is not in the low end but neither is it the "most" expensive in Brooklyn. It is NOT cheap by standards of people who don't live in NYC and can't begin to think in 4 digit rents and up. But it is not the "most expensive" part of Brooklyn by any measure. It is becoming much more expensive thanks to the development in the area but not nearly as expensive.

And Long Island City is especially not one of the most expensive areas in the city. For the last few years, the city has been pouring money into getting businesses to move there.

You guys really are way out of your depth if you are serious about what you're posting.

WAY WAY out of your depth.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17602/20/2013

Sunset Park on the "R' train between Park Slope and Bay Ridge has less expensive apartments. Most of the neighborhood is two and three family houses built in the '20s, covered in aluminum siding.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17702/20/2013

[quote] The ADVICE was IF you think Brooklyn and Fort Greene is too expensive, you need to be thinking Midwood, Borough Park, Queens (far East in Queens) or far North of Manhattan.

I've since looked on craigslist, and the apartments do seem to be a little more in line with what I was expecting.

I should also point out that we won't be doing this exclusively on his paycheck. I'm allowed to borrow a fair amount above tuition through student loans, and while that's not ideal, I knew I wouldn't be getting out of this without six figure debt anyway.

I do appreciate the advice.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17802/20/2013

Is East Harlem bad? I have this idea that on the East Side, 96th St. is a demarcation line and anything above that is sketchy/unsafe... but is that outdated? Is it OK up there now?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17902/24/2013

Well, thanks for everyone's advice. We just got back from a long weekend checking out neighborhoods. He loved the city, which was a relief. Fourteen neighborhoods in three days, and I'm exhausted, but I think we're going to concentrate on Inwood, Sunnyside, Bushwick, and Greenpoint.

I wish we'd had more time, because I would have liked to do more touristy things like hitting some museums, and all that, but the reconnaissance was really draining.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18003/17/2013

OP, Bay Ridge has become the neighborhood of choice for those with damaged or destroyed homes due to Hurricane Sandy.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18103/17/2013

Well, it's official. We're moving to Harlem.

I would like to thank everyone who gave me advice on this, both helpful and bitchy.

For those of you who can't stand me, I'm sorry in advance. But I'll also probably be way too busy after July 29th to bother you too much, and I'll try to give you advanced warnings if I'm coming to your neighborhood.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18205/22/2013

When is the housewarming party, TVOTN?

I'll bring frozen daiquiris.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18305/22/2013

Well, the place is a shoebox, so I don't know if we could have a party without it turning into Holly Golightly's shindig from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

But it should suit our needs. Especially since it's not far from school for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18405/22/2013

Good luck VOTN. Always nice to see you are well.

I have a friend who moved to 116th and Frederick Douglass Blvd in Harlem. She's a 100lb little white Jewish girl. I thought she was nuts until I went to visit.

That area of Harlem is very hot right now. There are restaurants everywhere. Apparently they are calling the block between 119th & 120th on FDB "restaurant row". We went to Harlem Tavern. It looked like the far UWS or Park Slope.

Of course Columbia is not that far from there but I never remember students moving that far East.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18505/22/2013

Where in Harlem, VotN? We're practically neighbours.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18605/22/2013

VOTN are you relocating just for school? Or you'll see in the future? Personally, and this is just me, I prefer not to have to be a multi-millionaire to live in a cold climate. I like it where I live. NYC intrigues me but now that I have a large house, a bmw, a pool, landscaped yard, 2 car garage I'm not remotely interested in living small apt, no offense intended. I would like to visit NYC for the museums, same as Philly, but both seem a bit sketchy. FWIW I've been to Europe on numerous occasions and their museums are amazing.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18705/22/2013

I know a lot of people who lived up there. Good times. A lot better than going to fucking Bushwick, that's for sure.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18805/22/2013

You're gonna die up there.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18905/22/2013

7th Avenue in the W 130s.

[quote]VOTN are you relocating just for school?

Pretty much. I'd like to do my residency there as well, but that's not entirely up to me.

In the distant future, when I start actually practicing, my husband says he wants to go somewhere warmer but...we'll discuss that when the time comes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19005/22/2013

Good luck, VOTN!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19105/22/2013

It's convenient. If you get knocked up, you are within walking distance of the Hotel Teresa, where they offer $50 abortions ($25 if you have a male abortionist and agree to suck him off).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19205/23/2013

It is NOT "below Canal"!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19305/23/2013

Have fun shopping at the Harlem Fairway! Best grocery store on the planet.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19405/23/2013

But r193, is is below C-anal?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19505/23/2013

You do know you won't be too far from Costco's & Target?

They're in the 116-117th are on the East Side. For Target, bring your own bags and shopping cart. Bring your own shopping cart everywhere! Find out where the nearby greenmarkets are and yes, there is a fine butcher shop in Harlem.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19605/23/2013

VOTN, I don't have time to read all the posts in this thread, but have to ask you, how difficult was/is it for you as an adult to return to school and do a big change of careers? I am an adult planning on the same thing. I have actually begun, taking community college courses. I am at a point now where I must decide what to do. YIKES!

Thanks in advance.

PS Learning Spanish is a good idea. Learning ANY second or third language is a good idea. I found Spanish-speaking co-workers who speak excellent English really liked it when I tried to speak Spanish. It opened doors. Wonderful!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19705/23/2013

[quote]VOTN, I don't have time to read all the posts in this thread, but have to ask you, how difficult was/is it for you as an adult to return to school and do a big change of careers? I am an adult planning on the same thing. I have actually begun, taking community college courses. I am at a point now where I must decide what to do. YIKES!

The good parts: As a slightly more grown-up person, I was much, much more focused on academics than I ever was when I was 18. I was more organized, and was willing to work my ass off because I knew if I was going to have even a shot at this, I would have to work harder than everyone else. It helped that I have a very supportive husband, and I owe him more than I can ever repay.

The bad parts: While I'm sure I was just about as bad as some of my fellow students, I lost my patients for 18-year-olds with 18-year-old problems very quickly. My school has a fair amount of non-traditional students, some who have gotten out of the military after their enlistments and others that, like me were making career changes. We tended to gravitate towards each other so that helped.

This was the right call for me, because I knew I would be miserable for the rest of my life if I didn't at least give this a shot.

Someone in another thread called my school a "third-rate diploma mill," and s/he is certainly entitled to that opinion, but I know I got into school when there were thousands that didn't. At the end of the day, no matter what the letters at the end of my name say, I'm still going to be doing the job I want to do.

I've been much happier the past three years as a broke student than I ever was when my husband and I were DINKs and I had to go every day to a job I hated.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19805/23/2013

[quote]They're in the 116-117th are on the East Side. For Target, bring your own bags and shopping cart. Bring your own shopping cart everywhere! Find out where the nearby greenmarkets are and yes, there is a fine butcher shop in Harlem.

Is ZipCar worth the expense? I don't mind walking or taking the subway (in fact, save for the panhandlers, I rather love the subway), although ask me that question again when it's July and I'm sweltering waiting for the 2 or the 3 to go downtown. But I would think if I needed to make a CostCo run or a Target run, it might be worth the fee. There's a lot that's not too far from our building.

Also, what about FreshDirect?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19905/23/2013

FreshDirect is good...for awhile. For some reason, my partner and I got sick of it after a couple of months.

But it's *great* for healthy pre-packaged meals (the smart and simple ones).

I'm reiterating...go discover Fairway market (just not on the weekend rush hours. It's fucking insane). And take advantage of the farmers markets which are plentiful and just so awesome.

Sigh. It's discussions like these that reignite my love for this city. Not to sound like a complete spaz, but it can be such an adventure.

I think you're going to love it here.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20005/23/2013

Good luck, VotN. Honestly, Touro is not a good school but you can get a degree there, pass your boards, and make a life for yourself. As someone who comes from a medical family, just carve out a specialty early on even if it's a specialty w/in primary care. You're living w/in the Harlem Children's Zone so, if you like kids, volunteer to teach health ed at HCZ. You're also close to several senior facilities so, if you like older adults, geriatrics is wide open. Touro itself won't open doors for you. Do it yourself!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20105/23/2013

I know you'll be very busy in school, but do spend what time you can exploring your historic neighborhood. And my friends who have Zipcar love it (especially for getting a little way out of the city when they have a free weekend).

Good on you for following your dream, and even though people who've been around forever (like me!) say it's not the city it once was, it's still an amazing place and I envy you for seeing it through new eyes.

If you actually feel like you need someone to give you some support & vent to, post something and we'll figure out a way to track each other down.

I'm over in Astoria, which is a nice place to visit for, say a weekend brunch. My wife & I would be happy to take you & your husband for a coffee or drink.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20205/23/2013

Congratulations on the smart move of choosing to live near the med school! This will simplify an already heavy schedule. On google maps, looks like a 15 min walk or one subway stop. Street pics look absolutely fantastic.

It's been fun following your path in life on DL leading up to this.

Just passed through NY en route to the Caribbean. Stayed a few days in Manhattan but restricted to the most touristy areas. Becoming more open to relocating to the East Coast (Boston or NY/NJ)as career opportunities are drying up in my hometown.

Good luck, and looking forward to hearing more.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20305/23/2013

Enjoy the summer in NYC. As you will soon find out the city empties on Friday - Sunday. That's the time to get a Zipcar and explore!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20405/23/2013

Building on r204, you'll find great festivals and special events in NYC each weekend during the summer. Have fun!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20505/23/2013

Okay, next general question: Because most of our furniture is sized for our relatively large Virginia apartment and not an NYC-sized dwelling, we're going to be either dumping or selling most of it, with the exception of our bed and one of our desks. Can anyone recommend any moderately-priced furniture places that don't involve schlepping out to the IKEA in Red Hook?

The kitchen is open and so we're going with barstools at the counter instead of a dining room table, but we'd still need at the bare minimum, a smallish couch, and maybe some additional seating, a dresser, and bookshelves.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20605/24/2013

An MBA is one of the most worthless degrees going. And trust me, I know because I have one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20705/24/2013

I actually misspoke when I typed that. He wants a MPA, a master of public administration.

Although he's kind of down on school right now. I'm hoping I can get him to change his mind.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20805/24/2013

r207, there was a news segment yesterday about MBAs and the panel said the same thing. One panelist said, when the economy tanked, too many people took it as an opportunity to return for an MBA (and JD) which lowered the value of the degree unless it's from a top 5-10 school.

VotN,it's been a decade but we furnished an apartment w/ stuff from Housing Works. Other DLers will have more current info for you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20905/24/2013

Gothic Furniture has locations all over NYC.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21005/24/2013

Is ConEd's Green Power option legitimate? I mean, am I paying the extra money and actually getting power from renewable sources, or am I just victim of marketing?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21105/26/2013

Also, how much longer are "Ann" and "The Trip to Bountiful" running? I will probably never get my husband to see a musical without heavily sedating him, but I think a straight play is negotiable. I think he'd especially enjoy "Ann."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21205/27/2013

I have an MBA in criminal studies from Hudson Universtiy and the poster who said it doesn't exist is jealous. Vincent Dinofrio is an alumnus and he handed me my diplomas at commencements.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21305/27/2013

r213, how many times did you commence?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21405/27/2013

Okay, I know I'm going to get pearl clutching and rending of garments, but can anyone recommend a tattoo studio in the city? I want to get a caduceus or a Staff of Asclepius on one of my shoulders at some point, and I have no idea where to go.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21506/02/2013

What a hideously terrible idea! How tacky, how prosaic, how....you.

Related: Could you go two posts without the word "husband"? You sound like the fat girls for high school who treat getting a sap to marry them as their crowning achievement. It's got a strong whiff of pathetic about it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21606/02/2013

How's your love life 216?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21706/02/2013

Aww, hit too close to home, frau at R217?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21806/02/2013

VotN Using only NYC-sized furniture as the criterion, Consider West Elm or Design Within Reach (DWR) both of which stock selections which are sized better for smaller spaces. Also, Room and Board in SoHo has pieces which may work.

Now, if only shinjuku baby would move to NYC, I would go o a DL get together just to meet the posters I've been reading for years.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21906/02/2013

[quote]I want to get a caduceus or a Staff of Asclepius on one of my shoulders at some point, and I have no idea where to go.

I'm normally all for your tats but I don't even think Shonda Rhimes does that on Grey's Anatomy, honey.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22006/02/2013

You can't make it there, or anywhere. Stay home.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22106/02/2013

Don't do the tattoo, VotN. It'll be like those poseurs who have the MD license plates.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22206/02/2013

Why are doctors with MD plates poseurs, R222? Those plates allow a doctor to park near a hospital or near a patient's home in a no parking area whilst they treat patients. How would you like it if your doctor was circling the streets trying to park the car whilst you lay dying?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22306/02/2013

You're there just in time for the Citibikes! Congrats, VoTN have fun- I hope your apt isn't too hot in the summertime.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22406/03/2013

Ciaran, that's not what R222 meant. Thanks for the melodrama, though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22506/03/2013

Ciaran, most physicians don't make housecalls so that argument is spurious. EMS personnel are far more likely to respond to a dying patient at home. There is parking at hospitals for doctors (and many have parking valets for emergencies). And 'smart' doctors skip the plates because it ups the chances that their cars will be broken into by drug-seekers.

Those plates are just a joke.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22606/03/2013

So, I know NYC Pride is the 29th. And I know that Governor Cuomo and Sandra Lee march in the parade.

Is there any chance someone might be able to meet her and maybe get a photo together or her autograph?

Asking for a friend.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22706/13/2013

VOTN and his HUSBAND (because he's married, you know) are moving to one of the most expensive cities in the country and expecting to live on student loans...the upcoming soap opera this debacle will generate is going to be classic.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22806/13/2013

Well I made it, a few blocks north of my third-rate diploma mill in an apartment that no one told the contractors to finish renovating before we moved it. So that's driving us a little nuts.

Like I said, I'll send up a flair if I'm in your neighborhood, so you can be sure to avoid me, or you know, find me so you can hate on me in person.

So far, the biggest culture shock is finding gay porn on the TWC PPV.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22906/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.