Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Fox Pundit Jokes Food Stamps Could Be A Diet Plan

Fox Business kicked off Thanksgiving eve with a joke about food stamps. Discussing Newark, New Jersey Mayor Cory Booker’s challenge to live on food stamps for one week, Fox pundit Andrea Tantaros said that living on a $133 monthly allowance for food would make her look “fabulous.” Meanwhile, a record number of Americans actually rely on this budget, for less than $1.50 per meal.

STUART VARNEY (HOST): Could you live on $133 per month for food?

TANTAROS: I should try it because do you know how fabulous I’d look? I’d be so skinny. I mean, the camera adds ten pounds, it really does. I’d be looking great.

Far from a diet, not having enough food to eat is a harsh reality for 50 million people. The average Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) household has a monthly income of $731, and 76 percent include a child, elderly or disabled person. Without SNAP, even more Americans would go hungry.

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012

What a cunt. Food stamps don't always equal less food. It can mean shitty quality and very fattening junk food.

Essentially she's joking about malnutrition.

by Anonymousreply 111/21/2012

Such a nice lady,I bet her family loves her dearly.

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2012

Typical talk from someone who doesn't live on a budget.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2012

Food stamps are more a one size fits no one, R4.

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2012

Yeah, same excuse every time a republican says something shitty.

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2012

There was a couple who decided to eat on $1 a day apiece. I think they had read that most people on earth eat at that level or less. They lost a ton of weight. They were teachers and their students were really getting concerned about them.

They then decided to eat as if they were on food stamps. It was much harder because you had to make choices, this or that. The husband stopped cooking as much as the first time and lack of food made the wife react very unfavorably to that.

It was a very interesting experiment on their part and I enjoyed reading about it. It is no picnic.

by Anonymousreply 1111/22/2012

Have been on food stamps before. It sucks. I was glad to get the help because I was essentially starving, but going and waiting and filling out all of your personal information is very degrading. You feel less than worthless. As a single person I received $30 a week. I can make that stretch, I buy a lot of rice and beans, a whole chicken, make big pots of pasta and eat that for a few days. It's not fun and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

On the other hand, apparently in NY it is legal to buy cigs on your benefit card and I know this is true because I was behind two women who were doing it a few days ago. When they left I asked the clerk if that was legal and she said yes. That I do not agree with at all, especially if you have kids!

by Anonymousreply 1211/22/2012

R8 here is the creep who's been telling people on Jewcentric threads to jump in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 1311/22/2012

I read an article about a journalist trying to live on food stamps about fifteen years ago and seem to remember an abundance of high-fat cheese and white flour making the diet fattening but without nutrition. Have the guidelines changed? because r12 using rice and beans instead sounds like a healthier option.

by Anonymousreply 1411/22/2012

[quote] On the other hand, apparently in NY it is legal to buy cigs on your benefit card and I know this is true because I was behind two women who were doing it a few days ago. When they left I asked the clerk if that was legal and she said yes. That I do not agree with at all, especially if you have kids!

The benefit card isn't just for "food stamps" but also for the "general relief" or "welfare" dollars that aren't for food. Once can get cash as well as use the card for non-food purchases so one way or another, cigarettes will be bought.

by Anonymousreply 1511/22/2012

And yet we still have more fat people then any other country on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 1611/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.