Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

William Mann's Streisand biography

Anyone read it? Anything new/juicy ?

by Anonymousreply 3603/24/2013

It only covers the years from 1961 to 1964.

by Anonymousreply 111/21/2012

[quote]It only covers the years from 1961 to 1964.

SO I guess he is writing more editions?

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2012

Yes. It's going to be like Robert Caro's series on Lyndon Johnson. The next volume is due in 2018.

by Anonymousreply 411/21/2012

R4 made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2012

There's a story in the book about her walking in on Barry Dennen in bed with another man. Barbra was crushed and traumatized.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2012

Yup, here I am like a bad penny.

From Barry's book which is why you should read his book. (It has a ring of truth. All other bios about her are basically trash.) Actually, that is what she remembers of the reason for their break- while he (Barry) did not at all- this being told as he and Barbra chat and try to remember the past in about 1992 or 3. He says they broke up because he stood her up returning from CA after T'Giving and she says they broke up because he was gay- and she caught him. He does acknowledge that he hurt her-and she more or less exacts revenge after Funny Girl opens and demands and keeps tapes they made together. She insists they are her property and he insists they are his. She wins because, well, she can afford

I will probably buy the Mann book, but I hear there is nothing in it that is not in Barry's book which is much better and of course first hand. It's really quite facinating because it is about molding her into the talent she became in those early years- and it was a cadre of gay men basically who were her closest friends.

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2012

W&W r2!

by Anonymousreply 811/21/2012

[quote]I will probably buy the Mann book, but I hear there is nothing in it that is not in Barry's book which is much better and of course first hand.

It's amazing to me that on the Cariol Channing vs. Barbra thread you bitch and bitch and people judging those actresses who didn't see their performances, and here you are dissing a book you haven't even read. You're a hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2012

[quote]you bitch and bitch and people

Sorry, that should read "you bitch and bitch about people"

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2012

Charlie- I read here that he still has the material and that she's tried to get them back from him but he refuses to do so no matter how mush she offers him.

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

I 'bitch and bitch' huh? You mean I have my point of view. Funny how people on these thread cannot discuss the topic on its merits and devolve into personal attacks. Oh well its DL and not a book club. And I suppose that is what most blogs devolve into.

I said I was going to read it did't I? The review of the Mann book in the NY Times stated pretty much what I said- that most of the good information comes from Dennin's book- OK? So I kind of lost a little interest.

Mann usually writes pretty good bios- at least the one he did of Hepburn was- but the one he did of Elizabeth Taylor was awful- read exactly like an old Modern Screen and offered not an iota of information you would not know if you had followed basic tabloid press during her career (which I did.)

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2012

You mean Mann or Dennin Della? That would be completely in character for her to be trying to do that. I meant to say in my post that she "wins because she can afford lawyers and he cannot."

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2012

[quote] she more or less exacts revenge after Funny Girl opens and demands and keeps tapes they made together. She insists they are her property and he insists they are his. She wins because, well, she can afford

Actually Dennen said that Streisand contacted him about her tapes when she was compiling material for the "Just For The Record" box set. Following a disagreement with her, he refused to release the tapes, so Babs lost that battle, but she still had tons of other unreleased and rare stuff for the box set.

by Anonymousreply 1411/21/2012

Mann's book is pretty good--not great, but not bad--but he needs some writing lessons. He sometimes sounds like a gushing teenage girl.

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2012

r14 answered my question,Charlie. I should have specified I was referring to Dennen.

by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2012

Why didn't Barry Dennin ever have a career? I know he did a few small things, but wasn't he supposed to be the star of their acting class? The one everyone thought would go on to the big time?

by Anonymousreply 1711/21/2012

According to his web site he did and does have a career. He just was not a big success I guess. R17, most people my age who tried careers in acting and music etc. did not succeed, and some of them were quite talented. It's very tough even if you have talent like Streisand.

by Anonymousreply 1811/21/2012

Supposedly he was R17, but there are many extremely talented people who don't have careers. Talent isn't a guarantee or a prerequisite.

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2012

Bobby Fischer, the famous chess player, was Barbra's boyfriend in high school.

by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2012

[bold]SPOILER ALERT[/bold]: She's a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 2111/21/2012

I love William J. Mann, but do we really need another biography of the Barb?

by Anonymousreply 2211/25/2012

The cover sucks big time.

by Anonymousreply 2311/25/2012

If you're interested in Barry Dennen as a performer, check him out on the London cast recording of Cabaret, as the Emcee (Judi Dench is Sally Bowles!). He's better than Joel Grey on the Broadway cast album.

by Anonymousreply 2411/25/2012

Doesn't Barry Dennen also play Pilate in the film of Jesus Christ Superstar?

And is William Mann as good-looking in real life as his author photos would suggest?

by Anonymousreply 2511/25/2012

I am more interested in the fabled 12 set DVD of performances/videos/interviews that has been long promised. Anyone got any word on that release?

by Anonymousreply 2611/25/2012

Barry Dennen = sucked big time

by Anonymousreply 2711/25/2012

Playing Aldolph Hitler's clone in an episode of "Wonder Woman" is as good as it's gonna get for poor 'ol Barry.

by Anonymousreply 2811/26/2012

Dennen had a small part in The Shining.

by Anonymousreply 2911/26/2012

R25, William J. Mann is a drop-dead gorgeous, hot muscle man.

by Anonymousreply 3011/26/2012

"Oh well its DL and not a book club."

Yes. Exactly.

PS For only $225, Barry will record a personal message for you that you can put on your voicemail!

by Anonymousreply 3111/26/2012

Is charlie really Charlie Handelman, notorious opera crank?

by Anonymousreply 3211/28/2012

No, r32, but he knows him personally because they live in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 3312/01/2012

"Bobby Fischer, the famous chess player, was Barbra's boyfriend in high school."

Um,no. She only mentioned seeing Bobby Fischer reading Mad Magazine in HS, he wasn't her boyfriend. She didn't have boyfriends in school and Fischer was not/would not have been a candidate.

by Anonymousreply 3403/24/2013

Lies, all lies

by Anonymousreply 3503/24/2013

My sister gave it to me for Christmas and I'm only halfway through it, if that tells you anything.

It clashes somewhat with my fantasy of BS rising to the top in spite of the world being against her, but in fact she had the help of the most sophisticated PR machinery in all of New York. Her image of being too talented to play supporting roles was created to everyone's advantage.

I'm stuck at the scene where her team has been told that her old pals, the ones that created her earliest image and act, are not allowed near her at her TWENTIETH birthday party.

by Anonymousreply 3603/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.