Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Diet Pills!

Alright Datalounge fatties, I've tried exercise and dieting, but nothing works. I have a food addiction. Steak is not a midnight snack. But I love it. It's like heroin for me, and it makes me feel gross. What other choice do I have? Has anyone ever taken appetite suppressants or diet pills that actually work?

by Edna Turnblattreply 3512/14/2012

Get Ayds. It works!

by Edna Turnblattreply 111/21/2012

Didrex (benzphetamine) is my first choice. Bontril (phendimetrazine) also works for me. In third place is Tenuate (diethylpropion).

The very popular Adipex is my least favorite; phentermine makes me jumpy and dysphoric.

by Edna Turnblattreply 211/21/2012

Do the over the counter "supplements" like Hydroxycut anything?

by Edna Turnblattreply 311/22/2012

I drink a shot of espresso in the morning, and then I put two shots of espresso in a dropper bottle and squeeze some under my tongue all day long.

by Edna Turnblattreply 411/22/2012

OP, I take a medication for ADHD called Vyvanse, and it suppresses my appetite for most of the day. I really only eat dinner, but I could easily get by on a couple of snacks.

Today I knew I'd be expected to put away some food for Thanksgiving, so I didn't take a pill this morning. But that's one thing to be careful about: Whenever I don't take a pill, my appetite is nearly insatiable.

by Edna Turnblattreply 511/22/2012

There is a new one called Qsymia that is low dosage phentermine combined with a seizure medication that also acts as an appetite suppressant.

Anyone tried it?

by Edna Turnblattreply 612/14/2012

Addictions require CBT training and practice.

by Edna Turnblattreply 712/14/2012

You could always make yourself sick and exercise compulsively. It will ruin your life, but you'll be thin enough to hide the crazy!

by Edna Turnblattreply 812/14/2012

Get over it OP. Seriously.

by Edna Turnblattreply 912/14/2012

Get some Primatene pills OTC (you'll have to show your ID at the Pharmacy) and take about 3x/day. It contains ephedrine which helps suppress your appetite but makes your heart beat fast. Take with caffiene (either a No-Doz or a Vivarin). Don't do it too often or if you have a heart condition.

Glucomannan (Konjac Root fiber) and Citrimax/Hydrocitric Acid) are great non-stimulant appetite suppressants to use.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1012/14/2012

Diet Pills don't work, stop being so ridiculous.

Drop the magic beans theories and admit yourself to fat camp, where the strap you to a bed for months and feed you rabbit food, portioned on how much you exercise. Welcome to reality.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1112/14/2012

Phentermine worked for me years ago. However, diet doctors will work you for every dollar. You have to go in once a month for an appointment, sometimes lab work, and that's on top of the prescription cost.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1212/14/2012

Didrex was the bomb when you could get it easily online. Great for focusing at work or a weekend of housecleaning. (Fun fact: It converts to meth after you take it.)

That said, everybody I know who's taken diet pills specifically for weight loss gained it all back and then some when they stopped. You have to commit to changing your lifestyle permanently.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1312/14/2012

Try Wellbutrin with an ADD drug.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1412/14/2012

Ritalin and Dexedrine

by Edna Turnblattreply 1512/14/2012

It's TURNBLAD!!! Edna Turnblad.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1612/14/2012

[quote] I've tried exercise and dieting, but nothing works. I have a food addiction.

It's not that exercise and dieting don't work, as you admitted in the next sentence, you choose not to follow your diet or exercise. If you have a food addiction, OTC diet pills aren't going to help you at all. Amphetamines like Adderall can help you to not eat, but they are addictive and have side effects. If you really want to lose weight in a healthy way that will last, you're going to need to switch to a healthy diet and exercise, bottom line. Get help from your doctor, support groups, or Weight Watchers meetings if you can't hold yourself accountable.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1712/14/2012

[quote]Didrex was the bomb when you could get it easily online. Great for focusing at work or a weekend of housecleaning. (Fun fact: It converts to meth after you take it.)

Yes, Didrex does convert to its parent chemical, methamphetamine, in the body. Benzphetamine is not biologically active until it's broken down in the body. A small portion of it also breaks down into racemic amphetamine.

I found a diet clinic--located inside of a Kroger supermarket, hilariously--that gives it. Doctors must still be using it. After years of it only being available as a brand name product, there is finally a generic.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1812/14/2012

Another for Vyvanse here. I don't have weight issues, I take it for other reasons on occasion. You simply don't think of food at all. It also gives you great energy.

by Edna Turnblattreply 1912/14/2012

Dexatrim, darling...

by Edna Turnblattreply 2012/14/2012

TrimSpa, baby!

by Edna Turnblattreply 2112/14/2012

Sensa! Oink, oink...

by Edna Turnblattreply 2212/14/2012

If it's a legit food addiction, the best thing is at least 2 months of rehab with continued support groups. But hardly any people can afford that.

Appetite suppressants and caffeine will make your appetite come back with a vengeance if you have a binge problem.

Don't eat sugar, flour, wheat, or starch in any form. Weigh and measure portions until you can eyeball them. Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, as much water as possible, and limit your caffeine and artificial sweeteners. If your'e serious about it, look into overeaters' support groups, though it can be hard to find a good one.

by Edna Turnblattreply 2312/14/2012

Anyone try hypnosis with success?

by Edna Turnblattreply 2412/14/2012

OP, diet pills or anything similar can work for a limited amount of time, But eventually you have to drop that crutch, and then all the weight comes back because you have not solved your fundamental problem. The only weight loss technique that works permanently is a change of attitude.

Get some therapy and get to the root of whatever is causing you to turn to food for comfort or for medicating your feelings. Once you find a way of dealing more positively with your issues, destructive eating will no longer control you and you will discover that you CAN enjoy food without treating it as some kind of numbing agent. Trust me, food will taste BETTER, you will appreciate it more, and you will no longer be compelled to eat for reasons other than hunger. Good luck.

by Edna Turnblattreply 2512/14/2012

why is caffeine bad? i don't take pills but drink coffee everyday.

by Edna Turnblattreply 2612/14/2012

R26, It's different for everyone. But if someone has a food addiction and uses coffee to stave off hunger, there's a high chance it will backfire on them.

by Edna Turnblattreply 2712/14/2012

Same goes for diet sodas.

by Edna Turnblattreply 2812/14/2012

thank you R27

by Edna Turnblattreply 2912/14/2012

The literature on pharmacology and obesity basically says that some work in the short term (up to two years) for a loss of 5-10 pounds tops. No reports of long term success with any of them.

Professionals justify their use as a method to help get someone going- to start losing weight. Eventually success is a function of behavioral and lifestyle change- eating less and better, and regular exercise, for life.

by Edna Turnblattreply 3012/14/2012

R30, Agree with your theory in general. Post minor injury/illness that interrupted regular exercise program, I have gained 15 lbs around my waist. Rarely overeat or indulge in "bad" food, just some days I'm unusually hungry, especially after a heavy workout. Wonder if I took Vyvanse short-term it would help. Is it over-the-counter or mail-order?

by Edna Turnblattreply 3112/14/2012

this stuff has worked for me for five years. it has also stopped me biting my fingernails.

it's hydroxycitrate taken from fruit.

by Edna Turnblattreply 3212/14/2012

The Dexatrine today is nothing like the one from the 80's. I took that for a summer (increasing the dose from 1 pill a day to 3) and went from a 14 to a 0 in just a summer. It gave me energy and I ate very little.

When I heard that the FDA was taking it off the market, I hit up several stores to stock up but it was already gone.

I miss that drug.

by Edna Turnblattreply 3412/14/2012

R28 is right. I lost ten pounds in two weeks by stopping diet sodas.

by Edna Turnblattreply 3512/14/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!