Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Every Thanksgiving When I Was a Teenager

I used to listen to the local radio station's annual broadcast of the Alice's Restaurant Massacree in its entirety. We all thought it was so funny.

The thought of waiting to hear something on the radio once a year is so quaint now.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 1311/22/2012

Did you grow up in Boston? The local folk station used to do that there. I had forgotten all about it until I read your post. Yeah, things seem less special when you can get anything any time you want. Except for Alice. What's the thrill of hearing it if you just have to go to spotify and search for it.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 111/21/2012

Doody Kaka

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 211/21/2012

I have fond memories of waking early in the morning to the sounds of Maria & Lupe starting our Thanksgiving meal.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 311/21/2012

One Thanksgiving at a local TV station we aired the WKRP Thanksgiving show for twenty four hours. It was a way the entire staff could have off.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 411/21/2012

The movie Alce's Restaurant is a time capsule of 1969 (even though the Massacree took place in 1965.) That's what hippies looked like in 69. It wasn't a Hollywood version of what hippies looked like. The actors often wore their own clothes in the film. One women wore her grandmother from China's gown, which got accidentally packed up with other wardrobe and she never got it back.

Argo looks like Jerry Seinfeld and wears a puffy shirt at one point. I wonder if that's where Larry David got the idea to put Jerry in a puffy shirt.

The song Alice's Restaurant is funny, but they had to inject some drama into the movie in order to pad it out, which didn't work so well. The ending of Alice standing alone seems like the end of the 60s. People really did just go off on their own and the 60s ended.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 511/21/2012

No R1, it was either WBAB or WBLI on Long Island.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 611/21/2012

what in the world is alice's restaurant massacre? this is thanksgiving fare?

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 711/21/2012

I hated the movie version, but my sister had the original album and we listened to it constantly.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 811/21/2012

Whatever you do R7, don't look it up. You'll be sorry.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 911/21/2012

I wonder if the movie was as bad as it was because of the Hollywood code? Like you couldn't be free love, law-breaking pot-smoking hippies without paying for it.

Or is Arthur Penn or some studio exec decided it couldnt just be a fun little film; it had to be "social commentary."

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 1011/21/2012

KROQ -- before it became LA's Roq of the 70s and played Mott The Hoople and early Bowie -- used to play Alice.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 1111/21/2012

My family eats the Thanksgiving meal in the evening. I usually hear Alice's Restaurant on the drive over to see the family.

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 1211/21/2012

You can get anything you want

by And They Aired 'War of the Worlds' Every Halloweenreply 1311/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.