Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Shit bill collectors say...

"Can't you borrow money from someone to make your credit card payment"? Bitch, if I could borrow money that easily I wouldn't have used your credit card at 21% interest.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2012

"When will you have a job"? Gee, let me pull the crystal ball out of my ass and check.

by Anonymousreply 111/20/2012

Why would you owe anyone money? Can't you sell some stock, a company or a house in order to have available funds? Or borrow some money from your parents? I'm shocked no one ever thought of this

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2012

Why did you buy it if you couldn't afford it? Hey, my job required a new uniform, and I got laid off. When will you pay us back? Do you have a top-shelf, accurately working crystal ball? Good psychics would run up my credit card bill.

by Anonymousreply 311/21/2012

The phone is ringing off the hook again today. I really hope they don't call tomorrow, when I have family over. I got laid off a month ago, and get unemployment, but it isn't enough to pay credit card bills. A lady this morning said "why don't you give us your bank account information and we will take the funds out in a few weeks when you get paid". Why would anyone do this when they don't have a job?

by Anonymousreply 411/21/2012

Can you cash in your 401K?

LOL. I can give lessons on how to get out of paying your credit card debt. I'm on my third round of new credit cards. Once I'm done maxing this round and then stiffing them I'll be up on the banks about 65K.

Loves me my new washer and dryer that Discover bought me..

by Anonymousreply 511/21/2012

Do tell, r5.

by Anonymousreply 611/21/2012

Sorry, wrong number.

You? With one of our credit cards? AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

by Anonymousreply 711/21/2012

R4. If they are bugging the shit out of you on the phone send them a letter with just one line. "Please contact me via U.S. mail only."

Then they can't legally call you. Next, once they shift them to the collection agency, wait about 30 days after your first letter from them, then send the collection agency a letter saying only this: "I dispute the validity of this debt."

That about ends it. They'll sell your debt to another agency. Rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 811/21/2012

Can you sell those earrings?

Can you sell your caftans?

by Anonymousreply 911/21/2012

I don't answer the phone to unknown numbers. They have a new tactic which is phoning any family member you may have connections to and even neighbors. I've heard of one collector who called a woman and asked her to go and fetch her neighbor for an important phone call. The neighbor, of course, told them to fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2012

You people and your financial problems...

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

What r8 says is true.

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2012

I strategically defaulted on a very large medical bill. If and when collectors call and ask for me, I tell them "Oh my...I'm so sorry...haven't you heard the bad news? He passed away."

Fuck 'em.

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2012

I've been getting a lot of calls from debt collectors saying they're going to serve me with some papers within 24-48 hours. Never happens. Funny think is, all these collection agencies happen to be from my hometown - I recognize the accents and know that my hometown is a hub for debt collectors. My friends used to work for collection agencies, and basically told me the same as r8.

by Anonymousreply 1411/21/2012

Ironic that OP has 18 bucks to pay DL to start inane topics, but can't afford to pay his CC bill.

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2012

Unplug the phone on Thanksgiving, OP. Otherwise you'll be a wreck all day. Enjoy your holiday.

by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2012

R14 you MUST send the "I dispute the validity of this debt" letter to them. That pretty much halts the court issue. If they take you to court you are nearly certain to lose.

Now I will give you step two to the "I dispute the validity of this debt" letter.

They will eventually send you the agreement you signed to get your credit card. Send them the validity letter again. But after that line add this:

I understand that I had an account with this credit card company. However the account start up agreement you sent me does nothing to show this debt is mine. Please send me actual signed receipts so that I may review this debt. As I'm sure you can imagine, the claims made about this debt, have cause me great stress, and are beginning to take their toll on my health. I've been around in circles with other collection professionals and I truly hope you will be the one to help me resolve this.

Again please remember to contact me via U.S. Mail only.

Thank You

Each time you are contacted by a new collection agency you must go through the same steps. But you'll have all your templates set up so it's only about ten minutes worth of work for all the free fucking stuff you get. Save copies of your letters and jot down the date you sent them. Also I recommend faxing the letters along with mailing them. Save your fax confirmation printout and staple it to your letter.

But you MUST send the dispute letter(and fax it for double protection) to severely limit there options. YOU MUST.

FUCK THE MAN AND FUCK THE BANKS THEY GOT THEIR BAILOUT.

They eventually go away and the clock ticks out on your debt.

One more tip. Never have any communication with them other than what I have told you. No matter what you say or write NEVER admit that this debt is yours or even admit a tiny part of it could be yours.

Once you say show me the receipts(Whitney was right) it pretty much ends. After selling your debt and privacy issues with the original creditor they are pretty much incapable of doing this.

I like to think I do community organizing that actually matters.

by Anonymousreply 1711/21/2012

I wanted to send them a written letter telling them not to call me anymore, but the cunt wouldn't give me their mailing address unless I divulged information to her about myself (which I refused to do). They play the game right back, it seems.

by Anonymousreply 1811/21/2012

Relax. I'll do all your thinking for you. Tell them you'd like to send a payment. Could you get their address? You'll have it fast.

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2012

I refuse to even acknowledge that I'm the person they're looking for, R19. So telling them I'll send a payment ain't gonna happen.

by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2012

I always make lewd sexual come-ons

by Anonymousreply 2111/21/2012

OP, turn your ringer off your phone and turn the volume on any answering machine all the way down.

I have never had a credit card that I signed for or applied for in writing - every card I ever had was solicited by the credit card company itelf over the phone. So there are NO signatures by me on anything. Though this won't necessarily help you in the end.

It's best to avoid them - just don't engage. If you do send the verification letter and they have what they need then they may proceed from there to court. So be careful and think before you act. Some of the bigger collection agencies will do just that if the balance is a decent size.

In some states it is really easy for them to go to court as they are not consumer friendly states. People who owe money & have collectors after them should check their courts for suits against them - the collection companies have been known to file a law suit and deliberately NOT notify you as required or deliberately send the notice to an address they know is no longer good. This is how they get a default judgment in court when you don't show up. You can get those reversed but it's a hassle you want to avoid especially if they start collection proceedings on your assets.

I have posted this many times before but check out the website creditboards.com - it is a cornucopia of info and sample letters etc about all kinds of credit info - all kinds. There's a lot to digest but it is worth a weekend or several evenings to explore the site and protect yourself and better inform yourself how to either fight or deal with credit problems.

Even if you want to settle, there are ways they can fuck you over when you settle that will leave you just as bad off as if you didn't settle. E.g., you think you've settled for a lesser amount but they end up selling the part they claim they've forgiven as part of the settlement to another collector and you start all over again. Then they send you an IRS form for the amount forgiven so you will owe taxes on that as income. That always needs to be challenged as the amount forgiven usually includes amounts that may have been improperly added as fees as well as just plain wrong. Also if you are technically insolvent (your debts outweigh your assets) in the eyes of the IRS in the period before the "forgiveness" then you won't have to pay taxes on it. So the timing of settlements is important.

I could go on but better you go that site

Have a great Turkey Lurkey time!

by Anonymousreply 2211/21/2012

If you have a smartphone, get a call-blocking app.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2012

[quote]I strategically defaulted on a very large medical bill.

R13, you've got to be a repuke. That completely sounds like some bullshit term they'd make up for being a broke ass deadbeat.

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2012

R17 = douchebag. People like you are what's wrong with this country.

Not to mention the fact that you're fucking up your own credit for a bunch of "free stuff" and driving up everybody else's bills.

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2012

Any advice for people with student loan-related collection agencies calling and calling? Does the "dispute the validity" argument work for this? Or the "please only contact me by USPS" approach?

by Anonymousreply 2611/21/2012

R26, that's my life as well. Just never answer, never acknowledge.

by Anonymousreply 2711/21/2012

Your stuck with a student loan bill. You can't default or be left alone. The government will eventually attach your pay. However don't deal with the collection agency. Call the Department of Education. They will give you a deferment right over the phone.

by Anonymousreply 2811/21/2012

r17 needs to go to prison

by Anonymousreply 2911/21/2012

My salary was garnished for a couple of years because of my overdue student loan payments. The garnishment ended almost ten years ago; now I'm getting calls from a collection agency about them. That's why I ignore them; I know this debt has been settled, and the collections people can just fuck right off.

by Anonymousreply 3011/21/2012

Why can't you sell some of your underwear - dirty if you have to. I hear there is a market for those too.

by Anonymousreply 3111/21/2012

R5 is lying his ass off.

If you are still using your legal name, there is no way in hell credit cards are still taking a chance on you. Not with your credit history. COMPLETE BULLSHIT!

You probably stole someone's identity and opened cards in his/her name.

by Anonymousreply 3211/21/2012

You're an asshole r5. It's because of you that everyone else suffers from the interest and fees.

Fucking deadbeat.

by Anonymousreply 3311/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.