Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I'm at home watching Persuasion with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root

WTF is wrong with the cunt sister and the other one who is always "ill"?

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2012

did they bring finger sandwiches and beer?

by Anonymousreply 111/20/2012

The cunt sister is a snob who, like their father, is very proud of their family name. When I saw the Amanda Root version, though, I thought that she was lez and having an affair with her companion.

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2012

LOL R1. I wish Ciaran, the way he looked then, were here.

by Anonymousreply 311/20/2012

I get the impression that the companion is screwing Mr. Elliott while she plots to marry Anne's father or did I get that wrong?

by Anonymousreply 411/20/2012

You're not wrong, r4. "Mrs. Smith was not the only widow in Bath between thirty and forty, with little to live on, and no surname of dignity."

Anne learns that Mr. Elliott will do whatever it takes to keep Mrs. Clay from marrying Sir Walter and producing an heir.

by Anonymousreply 511/20/2012

I love this flick. C. Hinds never looked so hawt.

by Anonymousreply 611/20/2012

This is my favorite JA movie. I did want to slap the sisters. Let's all go to Bath!

by Anonymousreply 711/20/2012

Just bought the dvd of The Mayor of Casterbridge with Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy. Cannot wait to watch it, I loved the Thomas Hardy book, totaly surprised by all the twists and turns of the plot.

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2012

The Ciaran Hinds version of "The Mayor of Casterbridge" is the only time I've managed to get through that story - ever.

Back in the day, even Alan Bates couldn't convince me.

by Anonymousreply 911/20/2012

Did you ever read the novel r9? I found it far more enjoyable than most Victorian novels of its kind.

by Anonymousreply 1011/21/2012

I love this version of Persuasion, my favourite Austen book. Hinds and Amanda Root are perfect and it looks like a real film, not just a television adaptation. The locations and costumes look authentic too.

There was a more recent version too with Sally Hawkins and the divine Rupert Penry Jones who positively smoulders as Captain Wentworth. It has a silly ending though with Anne running all over Bath to catch up with the captain - something that would never happen in Austen. The book has 2 endings really but neither of them are very cinematic. But its a marvellous story of love lost and regained ... and you want to slap those silly Musgrove sisters jumping off the Cobb, and Anne's other selfish lazy sisters and the scheming companion ....

by Anonymousreply 1111/21/2012

R11 I agree Persuasion has always been my favourite Austen novel.I love it

by Anonymousreply 1211/21/2012

Ciaran Hinds is smoldering in this one.

by Anonymousreply 1311/21/2012

One of my favorite scenes is their taking tea after the walk in the countryside. I love the look of light in this movie, especially that scene. I ended up buying a classic blue-white china tea set (inexpensive but serviceable) because of it.

Ciaran really has a kind of goofy/strange face in a way but is still gorgeous!

by Anonymousreply 1411/21/2012

I watched an old [italic]Prime Suspect[/italic] from the early 90s. I'd seen it before, but back then I didn't know who Ciaran Hinds, Mark Strong and David Thewlis were. Hinds was handsome and very sure of himself.

by Anonymousreply 1511/21/2012

Mr. Hinds will be coming to Broadway this spring in a supporting role in my production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

I play Maggie the Cat! He plays my character's husband's father.

by Anonymousreply 1611/21/2012

Ciaran is going to be Big Daddy ? - but he would be a terrific Gooper.

by Anonymousreply 1711/21/2012

Poor Anne - her bloom has gone at 28 and nobody will marry her, I simply couldnt let her marry that poor sailor she loved 8 years ago ....

by Anonymousreply 1811/21/2012

[quote]I ended up buying a classic blue-white china tea set (inexpensive but serviceable) because of it.

My apologies, but I must: MARY!!!

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2012

R19, yep, proud Mary, sweetie. I own it! ;-)

by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2012

She is a VICOMTESSE!!!

by Anonymousreply 2111/21/2012

The Mayor of Casterbridge was tragic and Ciaran was great in it.

I liked his Mr. Rochester too.

by Anonymousreply 2211/21/2012

Hinds while not exactly good looking is very sexy.

by Anonymousreply 2311/21/2012

Am I the first poster to praise his hot bisexual Julius Caesar in HBO's Rome???

by Anonymousreply 2411/21/2012

Just about my favorite Austen adaptation. I have to watch it at least once a year.

by Anonymousreply 2511/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.