Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bonnie Bramlett

Wrote the song Groupie (Superstar), covered by Bette Midler, Luther Vandross, most famously Karen Carpenter, and the fat guy from American Idol. Most well known as Bonnie on Roseanne.

She was the first white Ikette!

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2012

It was written about Eric Clapton. I believe she co wrote it with Leon Russel.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

Pretty significant lyric change from 'sleep with' to 'see you' again ... wow.

by Anonymousreply 211/20/2012

I liked her a lot. Didn't she throw a drink in Elvis Costello's face for calling Ray Charles the N word?

by Anonymousreply 311/20/2012

Rita Coolidge did it first on the Joe Cocker Mad Dogs Tour. Gayle McCormick told me at the show of that tour in L.A., Karen and Richard sat in front of her and when Rita finished the song, Karen took out a notebook and wrote down the name of the song. Gayle & Karen both covered it the next week in the studio.

by Anonymousreply 411/20/2012

Interesting, r4. The story I've always heard is that Richard Carpenter saw Bette Midler perform Superstar on the Tonight Show and thought it would be perfect for Karen (which of course it was) and they went in the studio immediately. Out of all the people who've recorded that song, Karen's is still my favorite.

by Anonymousreply 511/20/2012

But her's is rather lethargic, like all of her stuff. I do love the timber of her voice, but her material sucked. Played "Merry Christmas Darling" one of the saddest xmas songs ever at the local watering hole the other night.

by Anonymousreply 611/20/2012

Similar story about an oft-covered song is Bette doing "Delta Dawn" on Johnny Carson and Tanya Tucker's producer seeing it and securing the song for her, which was her career maker. Very underrated singer by the way.

by Anonymousreply 711/20/2012

Christ, I'm hung over at work, and I read that as Bonnie Bartlett.

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2012

Here's Bonnie singing "You Really Got a Hold On Me" on one of Roseanne's best episodes. Truly remarkable - she's got some serious pipes on her.

by Anonymousreply 911/20/2012

Let's not forget, Bonnie and her husband Delaney got Clapton into heroin when they started working together, just sayin'....

There was a CIRCUS magazine spread back in the day and the entire Clapton/Delaney & Bonnie entourage looked like they were on heroin. Everyone looked sickly, greasy and completely burnt out.

IIRC, one of the musicians who worked with Clapton on "Layla" and toured with him during that time, brutally murdered his wife years later.

by Anonymousreply 1011/20/2012

If it wasn't his wife, I think it was his mother or his daughter. I forgot where I read this.

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2012

[quote]Pretty significant lyric change from 'sleep with' to 'see you' again ... wow.

Yeah, Richard Carpenter changed it 'cause it was too risque for their clean-cut image.

I prefer Bonnie's original version over anyone's, especially Karen Carpenter's which unfortunately has become the definitive version. It's too saccharine for my tastes.

by Anonymousreply 1211/20/2012

"I liked her a lot. Didn't she throw a drink in Elvis Costello's face for calling Ray Charles the N word?"

Not exactly. She and her rednecked friends happened to end up in the same bar after a show and saw Elvis Costello sitting there bothering nobody after a show of his own. Naturally, being a Klassy chick, Bonnie and her friends started goading Costello. He was wearing glasses, you know, so of course they had to pick on him. They made fun of the way he looked, they made fun of the fact that he was (then) skinny, they made fun of his British accent, they kept going on and on about how he was "new wave" and all American music was better. They started listing American musicians and he was doing ANYTHING to shut them up and go away. He used the n-word to piss them off, Bramlett got physical and did the one, true American thing. She immediately went to the press to talk all about it.

by Anonymousreply 1311/20/2012

I am a longtime fan. I like a lot of her original material. She got religion, but she stll manages to sign and swing the blues.

by Anonymousreply 1411/20/2012

"Most well known as Bonnie on Roseanne."

That statement alone shows how stupid "Primetimres" are. Bonnie Bramlett has spent a lifetime working with some of the best musicians in America and some midwestern housewife only knows her from one year on a sit com. Proves my point that only old shut ins pay to post on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 1511/20/2012

[quote] They made fun of the way he looked, they made fun of the fact that he was (then) skinny, they made fun of his British accent

Please stop with these juvenile posts.

Delany and Bonnie toured with Eric Clapton in the early 70s. Their band became Mad Dogs and Englishmen. She is no redneck who never had contact with skinny British musicians.

Honest to gawd, you fucking retards can't help yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2012

[quote]"Most well known as Bonnie on Roseanne." That statement alone shows how stupid "Primetimres" are. Bonnie Bramlett has spent a lifetime working with some of the best musicians in America and some midwestern housewife only knows her from one year on a sit com. Proves my point that only old shut ins pay to post on Datalounge.

Calm down, r15. Roseanne's TV show is often a topic of discussion on the DL, and is regarded fondly. I'd never known about Bonnie being a singer since I discovered her on my own. I knew her from Roseanne first. So what? Did you see how she nails it in the link at r9? Did you know that she was also an Ikette? I did.

Frankly, don't insult my taste in music. Don't call me a shut in. Don't say I'm stupid for known her only from a "sit com." And for chrissakes, get the fuck over yourself. Boy, you've got a lot of nerve.

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2012

Back on topic, here's a great video of Bonnie & Delaney and Eric Clapton. God, they'd have been a blast to get fucked up with.

by Anonymousreply 1811/20/2012

Bonnie Bump

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2012

Yeah, r15 - I am busting my ASS to post the very finest in semi-obscure jazz and blues videos which you NEVER SHARE! SO GET THE FUCK OFF THE INTERNET!

by Anonymousreply 2011/21/2012

Her version of "Groupie" is haunting.

by Anonymousreply 2111/28/2012

Richard changed it because he thought Karen would be more comfortable singing it that way.

Karen's is still the gold standard.

Raquel Welch sung Superstar as part of her opening monologue for her first appearance on SNL. John Belushi, playing Joe Cocker, joined her.

by Anonymousreply 2211/28/2012
Need more help? Click Here.