Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Galloping Gourmet here, very excited for Thanksgiving!

Hello Everyone! Happy Thanksgiving. Thought I'd share my menu (it's been a long time...!). I am cooking for a crowd of 20, including my parents, siblings, their spouses and children, plus an elderly neighbor who would be alone otherwise, my college roommate and his new wife. I love cooking for a crowd! OK, here's my menu!!

APPS Smoked salmon rillettes Pumpkin-avocado-cranberry salsa/chips Shrimp and clam dip, served warm Brie topped with acorn sauce, warm baguette Miniature tomato pies

MAIN Turkey (brined) Pancetta stuffing Sweet potato casserole with pecan crust Garlic and chive whipped potatoes Foie gras-stuffed mushrooms Green bean casserole with cheese sauce Roasted brussels sprouts Cheddar biscuits Smoky spicy pepper gravy

DESSERT Pies: apple, pecan, pumpkin Fig and chocolate pie

AHH! YUM!!!

by GGreply 3511/27/2012

Acorn sauce gives me the shits.

by GGreply 111/19/2012

I'm dying for your green bean casserole recipe, GG!

by GGreply 211/19/2012

Foie-gras is cruel. You can stuff mushrooms with something else: coarse crumbs of seeded bread & chopped toasted walnuts mixed with melted butter & topped with Parmesan cheese -- chopped mushroom stems sautéd in butter with minced garlic & topped with toasted breadcrumbs -- sausage browned in butter with a chiffonade of fresh sage & topped with shredded Swiss cheese. Please consider it.

by GGreply 311/19/2012

I'm more interested in the crying fit GG will throw about 4 minutes into the appetizers.

by GGreply 411/19/2012

Pumpkin, avocado, and cranberry?

And I'm surprised you can make a normal apple pie, not an apple-ginger-meyer lemon-lavender pie.

by GGreply 511/19/2012

Too many appetizers, GG. Unless there's a 3-4 gap between the appetizers and the main meal, everybody will be too stuffed with appetizers to eat turkey and trimmings. Just put out the salsa and chips, and a traditional olive, pickle and celery veggie plate.

by GGreply 611/19/2012

Didn't several people get food poisoning last time after you "cooked"?

by GGreply 711/19/2012

It's taken awhile, but I finally believe that GG is fictional. Pumpkin-avocado-cranberry salsa tipped the scales.

by GGreply 811/19/2012

So your bf is totally through with you, huh?

by GGreply 911/19/2012

A long time?

Wasn't only a few weeks ago that you prepared a thoroughly unappreciated southwestern fiesta for your (former) in-laws on Cape Cod?

by GGreply 1011/19/2012

This recipe is a real thing, apparently

by GGreply 1111/19/2012

Did the boyfriend change the locks when he kicked you out this time? Are the three people who got sick on your food at the last event fully recovered and talking to their lawyers?

by GGreply 1211/19/2012

Did your boyfriend ever forgive you for the Chinese leftovers incident?

by GGreply 1311/19/2012

Are you going to molest some boys?

by GGreply 1411/19/2012

OP everything sounds incredible, but I'm inclined to agree there are too many appetizers. It's nice to have something the kids will enjoy, and something for the adults too, but I would limit my appetizers to three.

Also, you have enough without the stuffed mushrooms. Nix them from the main menu.

Did I read the desserts correctly? Five pies? I'd say yes to the apple, pecan, & pumpkin, but do something different with the figs and chocolate.Maybe some brownies or a mousse, or serve glazed figs with fruit like pears and with some crumbled bleu cheese, gorgonzola, or a stilton.

Make sure you have mints in little dishes around for after dinner.

by GGreply 1511/19/2012

I love ya GG, but you have to give it up

by GGreply 1611/19/2012

I assume you will be drinking as you prepare this? That was your schtick in the 60s.

by GGreply 1711/19/2012

No one wants an avant-garde Thanksgiving. It's about gluttony, tradition, and butter. If you go down the path of avocado and cranberry, it can only end in tears.

by GGreply 1811/19/2012

Sounds like there may be a lot of more traditional palates in your group, GG. Much of your menu would be torture for them, especially the kids. (Do you have anything special for them?)

I kind of speak from experience. One Thanksgiving I was entrusted to make the green bean casserole. I picked a recipe using fresh green beans and higher quality ingredients and a nice crumb topping instead of fried onions.

I gave it to granny and she said thank you and took it into the kitchen. Fast forward to dinner. The table was set with a canned green beans, canned soup, and fried onion casserole. Mine was nowhere to be found! Turns out for every dish someone else was bringing, she had prepared a backup that SHE liked, "just in case."

I was fuming. At the end of the day, I asked her about it, and she simply presented my dish back to me - empty and washed - and didn't say another word.

by GGreply 1911/19/2012

Looking forward to Friday's report on the latest disaster.

What types of things will GG invent for his readers?

Overcooked turkey?

Kid throws up into the roasted brussels sprouts?

Mom trips on grandkids toy and falls into the bowl of garlic and chive whipped potatoes she was carrying? Now in hospital getting new hip.

College roommate forgets to mention he married a vegan?

Elderly neighbor wets his pants and isn't wearing Depends?

by GGreply 2011/19/2012

Somebody trolldar'd the OP a couple months back and busted him for starting three or four threads at the same time as 3 or 4 different personas. One was a Galloping Gourmet thread in which the GG announced one of his many breakups with his imaginary bf; in another, the OP and his bf were still together, but OP was bitter about staying home sick while his bf attended a bbq; and in yet a third thread, OP and imaginary bf were blissfully happy together and had just spend the weekend visitin OP's dream town somewhere in New England.

by GGreply 2111/19/2012

[quote]Somebody trolldar'd the OP a couple months back and busted him for starting three or four threads at the same time as 3 or 4 different personas.

I think he has at least three threads going right now. Most are like SNL skits that were rejected.

by GGreply 2211/20/2012

Your imaginary thanksgiving is as unappetizing as your usual imaginary dinner parties.

by GGreply 2311/20/2012

[quote]Most are like SNL skits that were rejected.

Yes, that is a good characterization of a GG (or alternate GG persona) thread. I enjoy an EST when the scenario is entertaining and creative, but GG's are always so dull; you have to wonder why he bothers.

by GGreply 2411/20/2012

GG only posts in the OP and never replies to any of the questions or comments left here.

We should just ignore him and hope he goes away.

by GGreply 2511/20/2012

This troll's threads always involve food, yes?

I'm guessing it's a 350lb woman pretending to be a gay man. Trolldar upcoming "I'm Thinking of Getting Gastric Bypass Surgery" threads and "What did You Have for Lunch" threads.

by GGreply 2611/20/2012

[quote]you have to wonder why he bothers

He enjoys talking about food. For some people, that's like phone sex.

by GGreply 2711/20/2012

Way too fussy.

And FIVE pies??? But no other dessert options...odd. Is this a form of OCD?

Why not a cake or brownies or cookies in place of some of the pies? People like options, and Thanksgiving is a time to pig out anyway. It's nice to create a sampler from multiple desserts, a sliver of this, a couple of that, and one of those, too... But no one wants 3-5 different kinds of pies, unless there's a prize for eating more than anyone else.

Seriously? 5 pies?

by GGreply 2811/20/2012

Please do not lump together the words "Galloping Gourmet" and "Skits"...

And I'm not that happy with "lump" either...

by GGreply 2911/20/2012

Hey, GG. If you're doing all this work to create a fabulous meal, why are you stuck with having to share a room with your cousin - the guy who rows boats at Princeton?

by GGreply 3011/20/2012

Dinner was ruined when the landlord knocked on the door and said there's a limit of ten people allowed in the apartment.

by GGreply 3111/23/2012

[quote] Way too fussy.

I totally agree! And too many items, but too few options.

APPS - Not good to have two seafood items.

MAIN - If anyone is Jewish, then the turkey is out (because of the stuffing). Why have a crust on the sweet potato casserole? Why foie gras? Sounds like too many cheesy/creamy items. Why smokey gravy (another personal choice)? How about some plain items (the sprouts, which many people don't like, are the only plain item).

DESSERT Pies: Why so many pies? And why no alternatives?

And what would I eat...

APPS - nothing

MAIN - Turkey, Sweet potato casserole, Garlic and chive whipped potatoes Green bean casserole

DESSERT - apple pie

by GGreply 3211/23/2012

Go away.

by GGreply 3311/24/2012

Did you family throw you out GG?

by GGreply 3411/26/2012

Acorn Sauce?! WTF! the high tannin content would have to be boiled out of them and...WTF? You having some squirrels over?

by GGreply 3511/27/2012
Need more help? Click Here.