Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I miss the TV shows I grew up with

I miss the great shows of the 1980s. Man TV was good then! Cosby Show, Family Ties, Wonder Years, Brooklyn Bridge, Who's the Boss?, Golden Girls, and on and on. These days, the Office and 30 Rock pass for comedy. UGH. Gimmie a good old episode of GG any day.

by Anonymousreply 3911/21/2012

I "grew up" with Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In!

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

Poor OP.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Except for the Golden Girls all those shows were too sentimental and family-oriented for my tastes. I missed the earlier adult-centered shows like All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Maude, MASH, etc., though I was but a wee lad myself.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

Unless you don't want to watch on your laptop, I think some of those shows can be seen on the free online version of Hulu or with cable on TV Land.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

[quote]These days, the Office and 30 Rock pass for comedy.

Oh for those glory days of ALF and SMALL WONDER!

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

I loved ALF! Is Mrs. Okmonek also Seinfield's mother (whom he visits in Florida)?

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

Don't forget Mr. Belvedere.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

They don't make sitcoms like they used to.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

Golden Girls is my go-to comfort show.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

[quote]Cosby Show, Family Ties, Wonder Years, Brooklyn Bridge, Who's the Boss?

Eek!

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

it's true a lot of popular shows these days are straight up shit. On the other hand, OP you're getting old lol deal.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

Dadburnit, what happened to good wholesome comedies like My Little Margie, I Married Joan, Bachelor Father and Life of Riley? These days, Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart pass for comedy. UGH! Give me reruns of The Goldbergs any day.

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

Yeah I know how you feel op. but I think what I miss more was a time when my folks and older relatives were alive.

A simplier time ;)

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

Most of those shows are at least tolerable (although I don't remember Brooklyn Bridge,) but declaring a shitcom like Who's The Boss "great" is almost as embarrassing as saying the same thing about Three's Company. Tony Danza is a toilet trained gorilla, and although Judith Light is a decent actress, she totally sold out to be in that dumbed-down cheese-fest.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

R14 - Mona was the best part of Who's the Boss?

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

I loved Brooklyn Bridge. What a great cast. Even the kids were wonderful actors.

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

Sitcoms from the 80s were largely shit (except Golden Girls) until the arrival of Roseanne and Seinfeld. Boring family friendly crap packed with "messages", with a lot of mediocre child actors.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

It's not so much prime time I miss. It's the afternoon repeats and the morning game shows. I used to like coming home to Gilligan's Island, Andy Griffith, Hazel, Family Affair, etc..... Now it's all lame talk shows. I used to fake sick or skip school whenever I could when I was a kid for things like Card Sharks and Sale of the Century. Jokers Wild. Tic Tack Dough. LOL

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

OP is going through a mid-life crisis.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

I agree with R17. I was a kid in the 80s and remember loving Growing Pains, Family Ties, etc., but look back now and think, damn those shows sucked. Roseanne came out when I started high school and that was the first show I watched that didn't feel like ridiculous fantasy crap.

Today's sitcoms of Parks & Rec, Community, Louie (sort of a sitcom), Girls, and Happy Endings are so much better than 1980s sitcoms NOT called Golden Girls, it isn't even worth debating.

by Anonymousreply 2011/20/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 2111/20/2012

I'm sorry "Who's the Boss?" is not on TV anymore, OP, so you no longer feel connected to your childhood.

That's the saddest thing I've heard all month.

by Anonymousreply 2211/20/2012

So much of what was good about our culture in the last century in terms of the arts has already traveled down the river of no return...much like the Thighmaster and John Tesh's career.

The introduction of digital technology really has changed the quality,delivery and standard for music,movies,photography and many other forms of creative expression. Now,with the advent of auto-tune and other recording "enhancements" people who have no business being on stage or in a recording studio are selling millions of CD's and winning Grammys. Hollywood has pretty much supplanted real props,real locations and probably soon enough real PEOPLE with computer generated imagery.

And now because of the widespread adoption of digital cameras we are hearing the death knell of traditional film mediums like Kodachrome.

Much like the great composers,artists, playwrights and writers from the Renaissance to the 20th century have already achieved greatness and passed I truly believe we have seen the pinnacle of the popular arts come and go as well. I believe we are now entering into the science and technology epoch and that's where the meaningful advancements will occur in the future...not the arts.

by Anonymousreply 2311/20/2012

R23, so the medium is the message?

I'm not so sure about that.

The most striking thing about the current era is how fragmented audiences are now, compared to the mass consumption of whatever dreck the three TV networks spewed out in the past that had to be watched in real time.

Yet, all those programs are still out there. It wouldn't take too much effort for someone to view the entire corpus of "The Twilight Zone," for example, in a few weekends.

So, in a very real sense, the past is always with us. Some critics believe we are actually in a golden age of television right now, with so many high quality serial dramas produced for cable TV.

A lot of media nostalgia is based on the longing to recapture our lost childhood and youth, which for most of us in not available on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 2411/20/2012

Randy, I couldn't disagree with you more. Since pop culture took over in the 1950s, there have always been high art and low art that fight each other for popularity.

TV is at its zenith right now. Truly. Of course there's crap, there's ALWAYS crap. But Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Homeland, Sopranos, The Wire are true pieces of performance art.

If you dig for music, from indie rock to hip hop, you can find people doing amazing things. The internet has robbed the mega selling artist, but it has given life to unheard of artists, who never had a chance with the old system.

Movies are definitely at a low point, but then you watch something like Perks of Being a Wallflower and you think, there are still great stories that want to be told.

Books are fantastic right now. We The Animals, the new Junot Diaz novel, Goon Squad are all recent titles that are astounding. Hell, Gone Girl, for a popular novel that has sold 2 million copies, is fantastic for mainstream fiction.

Art will always live on, because there will always be artists.

by Anonymousreply 2511/20/2012

Art changes.

by Anonymousreply 2611/20/2012

There's nothing on television like "She's the Sheriff". That was one in a million.

by Anonymousreply 2711/20/2012

I hate the fact that Hallmark channel has opted for a month of Christmas movies instead of GG. I miss their airings in the morning and evening. As was mentioned unthread, it is my comfort show...

by Anonymousreply 2811/20/2012

Mad Men is today's equivalent of Thirtysomething. People have let their love of Jon Hamm impair their judgement of the show. It's not that good.

The "documentary" comedy has also run its course.

by Anonymousreply 2911/20/2012

Sitcoms were aimed at kids and stupid adults in the 80s. Sitcoms today are not aimed at kids.

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2012

I could not possible disagree more, R29, about Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2012

r12, The Goldbergs is seen on Jewish Life TV.

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

Why no mention of Punky Brewster and Silver Spoons? Why no kids on Primetime nowadays?

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2012

Love, American Style!

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2012

Not to mention the dearth of young men whom young boys could use as their first masturbation fantasy: Luke Halpin, Tony Dow, Don Grady, Rick Nelson...

by Anonymousreply 3511/20/2012

30 Rock is better than Golden Girls ever was.

by Anonymousreply 3611/20/2012

I love that quiet zen moment after the Golden Girls theme song when the house is shown at the end of the driveway, and the palm trees sway with the wind. Sometimes at night, sometimes during the day, sometimes a car came zooming up the driveway like a maniac, and you just knew Dorothy was gonna come flying into the house like a fightin birch.

by Anonymousreply 3711/20/2012

R29 "Mad Men is today's equivalent of Thirtysomething. People have let their love of Jon Hamm impair their judgement of the show. It's not that good."

You are wrong. It is that good. Mad Men is a much better show than thirty something. Though thirtysomething became more interesting when Miles took a larger part.

The golden age of drama is now (on cable). The golden age of sitcoms was a long time ago.

by Anonymousreply 3811/21/2012

Bring back "Rememer WENN."

by Anonymousreply 3911/21/2012
Need more help? Click Here.