Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is war in the Middle East days away?

Watching the news coverage it would seem so. Israel has put 75,000 troops on the border of Gaza.

Regardless of who you support this could really send the region into turmoil. More than it already is.

If they do go to a ground war how far do you think would spread? Will Iran use this as an excuse? Will Egypt Jordan and others get into it?

Could be a scary thing.

by Anonymousreply 4011/20/2012

Most Americans simply don't care, op. Myself included.

The bottom line is that this is not our conflict, and it won't be our war. The Middle East can fend for themselves.

We Americans have our own problems with our economy, and we'd much prefer to solve our own problems, rather than take on someone else's problems.

As my parents used to say, "if you kids want to fight, then take it upstairs and beat the hell out of each other." I suggest that the Middle East do the same, and just leave us out of it.

We got out of Iraq, and we're leaving Afghanistan. Mitt Romney lost, and so we won't be entering Iran.

End of story.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

Not days away, no.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

R1 I disagree with some of what you say. True many dont care but the pressure from the religious right and republicans to support and defend Israel may be a game changer.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

So r2 years months or hours?

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

[quote] True many dont care but the pressure from the religious right and republicans to support and defend Israel may be a game changer.

In the past, I'd agree with you. But this past election was partly a referendum on going to war with Iran, as Mitt Romney made it clear he would do.

And Americans soundly rejected that position.

So I'd have to argue that it really doesn't matter what Republicans and the "religious right" think, because they lost.

Americans don't want to get involved in Middle East affairs and their subsequent problems. And the election proved it.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

I don't think it's any of our business unless nukes are involved. If nukes are involved, it will become our business very soon.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

Concern Troll (aka OP), you must feel relieved this came along now the election's over.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

Election or not. We could get dragged into this.

- We are dependant on oil from the middle east and it is critical that the area be stable.

- Military is run by these war loving generals and they may force Obama's hand.

- Israel is a big ally of ours.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

R4, months to a year, probably more than that.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

[quote] We are dependant on oil from the middle east and it is critical that the area be stable.

An article just came out, stating that the US is now the largest oil producer in the world.

[quote] Military is run by these war loving generals and they may force Obama's hand.

Obama is Commander-in-Chief. He tells THEM what to do, and not vice-versa.

[quote] Israel is a big ally of ours.

They may be our ally, but Obama has made it abundantly clear that he won't be getting into another war, and he has pretty much told Netanyahu exactly that.

Obama is the first President to actually stand up to Israel and say that we call our own shots. This is why Netanyahu has been so upset with Obama.

I hope that Obama stands firm.

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

I think Israel hopes to drag us into this as an stepping stone to war with Iran. Fuck!!

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

The US -being flush with funds- will cut yet another check to Israel to stand down.

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

Off topic, John McCain needs to go off into the sunset. Total loser.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

They're not an ally.

They're a petulant little bully continually being defended by asshole parents (US) who refuse to acknowledge that they raised a little monster who has never been scolded by the parents. There's usually one parent (conservative) or the other (liberal) who will be the disciplinarian, but not with this spoiled little shit. They both coddle their little precious.

And when the school (UN) feels there needs to be discipline, the parents show up to the school to proclaim "Not MA baby! MA baby was the one being bullied! MA baby is a good kid just trying to defend himself!"

And then mommy and daddy buys that petulant little shit even more toys and raises his allowance.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

You're watching Maddow, too, R13?

He is insane, isn't he?

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Isn't Netanyahu on the way out? Don't Israelis want him out?

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

[quote]Isn't Netanyahu on the way out?

He was already in a good position for the next elections.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

I think it's naive to think we won't get dragged into it, either because of oil or a terror attack over here.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

R7 go back to the broadway and soap threads and let the adults talk about something important.

by Anonymousreply 2011/20/2012

Israel is the biggest foreign policy mistake the US ever made.

by Anonymousreply 2111/20/2012

I hate Israel. I hope Iran, etc. raze the place so this shit will finally be over.

by Anonymousreply 2211/20/2012

The US will be pleased to sell arms to Israel for any upcoming conflict but the US just can't afford (economically and politically) to send ground troops. If it extends beyond Israel/Gaza we will send drones and launch air strikes but that's it.

Personally, I think they should all be forced to eat a bacon, ham and sausage sandwich. It's clear that a lack of pig-meat makes people belligerent and cranky.

by Anonymousreply 2311/20/2012

[quote]Obama is Commander-in-Chief. He tells THEM what to do, and not vice-versa.

You're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 2411/20/2012

If Israel strikes, it's America's war.

by Anonymousreply 2511/20/2012

Well done to Israel for standing up to the Middle East. I am fed up of the rest of world pussy footing about and walking on egg shells.

The quicker someone drops a hiroshema style bomb on the Middle East the better.

by Anonymousreply 2611/20/2012

[quote] Well done to Israel for standing up to the Middle East. I am fed up of the rest of world pussy footing about and walking on egg shells.

[quote] The quicker someone drops a hiroshema style bomb on the Middle East the better.

Um, but that includes Israel, R26. Because Israel is also in the Middle East.

I think your post may just qualify you for the Datalounge DUMBEST POSTER EVER award.

by Anonymousreply 2711/20/2012

Hillary Clinton is going there today - maybe she can work a diplomatic miracle. Blame is mutual of course... but it is worth asking, what is Israel's goal here? They did not have to assassinate that guy who was central to truce talks. That would not make sense if Israel really wanted to move the situation toward peace. It's the sorry truth - a lot of Israel's political leadership, pretty much all of them on the center and right, they want nothing more than to prove that "those Palestinians are not ready for peace". So they want this situation. When they can point directly to "bad Palestinians" and make Israelis very afraid, then they (the right wing) win elections- and they advance the belief that Israel must take over the entire country, because those dumb savage Arabs are impossible to negotiate with, so hooray for the Israeli settlers who are trying to get footholds into Palestinian territory more and more.

by Anonymousreply 2811/20/2012

[quote]When they can point directly to "bad Palestinians" and make Israelis very afraid,

They didn't need to point at particular Palestinians to frighten Israelis. The Israelis live there. They already knew the rate of rocket fire had ramped up.

[quote]then they (the right wing) win elections

Netanyahu was already in good position. He didn't need this fight.

Let me guess. You think if you assume a cynical position, then you must be worldly and wise. But all you've shown us is your ability to parrot other cynics without showing any ability to analyze what those other cynics said. So, you can't think for yourself and you're a copycat. Congratulations.

by Anonymousreply 2911/20/2012

I'm with the Palestinians this time....

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2012

I thought they declared peace in the Middle East?

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2012

Of course, this, like anything and everything else that happens in the universe, is Obama's fault.

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

@ R28 doesn't Obama just give Hilary the toughest jobs. He keeps the easy photo op jobs for himself like Burma.

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2012

The U.S. has never committed ground troops to any of Israel's wars. It would be strange if we started to now when we are least able to do so and when doing so would seem least appropriate, politically astute, and right. We've never done so when Israel was being attacked unprovoked by a multitude of nations. Why would we do so now?

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2012

And many Militant Atheist r3, like Sam Harris who now share a right wing stance on foreign policy.

by Anonymousreply 3511/20/2012

The UN needs to agree to simply euthanize every theist on the planet by any means necessary.

by Anonymousreply 3611/20/2012

In the Middle East, no good deed goes unpunished.

by Anonymousreply 3711/20/2012

I totally agree with r1. Word for word.

Enough already. Let them bash their brains out and stop funding these school yard bullies. Not our fight anymore.

We tried, now let's fix our own problems.

by Anonymousreply 3811/20/2012

[quote]The U.S. has never committed ground troops to any of Israel's wars.

*cough*

by Anonymousreply 3911/20/2012

I think Israel should just go into Gaza and wipe out Hamas, once and for all.

by Anonymousreply 4011/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.