Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Inside the 'Romney Readiness Project,' the ambitious plans for an unrealized administration

"We built a great ship, and regrettably, in my view, we didn't sail. I think it would have been a crisp transition," former Utah Governor Mike Leavitt said in an interview with NBC News. "I got up every morning from the day he asked me to do this — not naively — assuming that we would be elected, and we needed to be prepared."

by Anonymousreply 2311/20/2012

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

"We built a great ship, and regrettably, in my view, we didn't sail..."

Loose, lying, Latter Day lips sink ships.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

And to paraphrase the first comment: all these plans for the future, but Romney and Ryan weren't going to talk to the public about then.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

[quote]Like much of Romney’s campaign, the transition team folded following his loss on Nov. 6. But future nominees — Democratic or Republican — might be well-served to study the work of the “Romney Readiness Project.”

Right. Let's all study the methods of Team Clueless Clusterfuck.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

It's fine to be prepared, but Romney's campaign was all ego driven. Romney started from the premise, "I'm the one you have been waiting for" (but yet he wasn't going to tell us).

Romney wanted the trappings and power of the presidency. The problem is that he's a shitty, unlikeable human being.

So Mitt, coincidentally enough--as it turns out--we like firing people too.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

[quote] "We had the first 45 days of the administration scheduled," Leavitt said. "We felt there was a need for crisp and early action. We were literally writing executive orders. It was a federal government in miniature."

We were literally writing executive orders. Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

They should have concentrated on not pissing off half the country before the election. If they would have just tuned into any media outlet other than faux news they would have realized how awful they came off to the average voter. But nooooooo, they were too busy writing executive orders before the election. Dopes

[quote] Romney tapped Leavitt at a point in the election cycle that was comparable to Obama’s selection of John Podesta to lead his transition project four years earlier. Podesta served as White House chief of staff under Bill Clinton

They copied President Obama. Too bad they weren't able to pick up a shred of decency

[quote] But future nominees — Democratic or Republican — might be well-served to study the work of the “Romney Readiness Project.”

Actually no, they would be well served to study the work of President Obama's 2008 readiness project. all romney did was copy Obama

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

R1 = End thread

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

[quote]"We built a great ship, and regrettably, in my view, we didn't sail."

No, they built the Titanic -- unsinkable until it sank.

They believed -- quite erroneously -- that he was unstoppable and then reality, like the iceberg, hit.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

A third of those orders probably targeted gays.

by Anonymousreply 911/20/2012

Since I understand that Romney, like a good Mormon, has planned for the post mortem planet he will be lord of, it doesn't surprise me he had detailed plans for his administration.

by Anonymousreply 1011/20/2012

Not ONE THING during his two year long campaign went smoothly or crisply. Why would we imagine the transition would be any different?

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2012

[quote]According to Leavitt, many preparations involved assembling a menu of options for Romney to enact his plans for government or to make good on campaign pledges, like labeling China a currency manipulator or allowing the construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline.

See what we escaped? All the problems the country faces, and Romney's priorities were plutocratic, Mr. Burns, Bain Capital issues.

by Anonymousreply 1211/20/2012

Romney would have been the absolute worst president because Romney is an evil asshole, but he's also cunning and coniving. Even George W. Bush was just plain dumb with bravado. Romney is scheming and dastardly. And forget it for gays. We would have been screwed.

by Anonymousreply 1311/20/2012

Yep. We dodged a bullet when we beat these clowns.

by Anonymousreply 1411/20/2012

We have no idea of just how big a bullet we dodged. We're talking freakishly huge, because Romney would have claimed a mandate with a single electoral vote margin, the 'thugs would have given him support, and the Dems would have rolled over like they always do.

Funny how the Xtians who usually claim that god sent the hurricane to punish (fill in the blank) for something gay, didn't come right out and say god sent Sandy to stop Mitt (even though he was toast before the storm made landfall).

by Anonymousreply 1511/20/2012

I'm sure they had binder after binder full of highly qualified minorities of all types to fill vacancies. [/sarc]

Of course the executive orders would have prohibited any minority from holding any office.

by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2012

In the end, Hurrican Sandy had little to do with Romney's loss or Obama's victory.

Storm or no storm, the people weren't having Romney. Period. Other Florida, which was very close, and North Carolina which Romney won, Obama won every single swing state by three to seven percentage points.

This election was not close. It wasn't a blowout when it came to the popular vote, but it was a solid victory. Of course, the Electoral College vote was a blowout.

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2012

I'm terrified as to what those executive orders would have entailed.

Probably shooting down Obamacare in the first week, then moving on to enshrine DOMA and then some saber-rattling at Iran.

by Anonymousreply 1811/20/2012

"It's long been standard protocol for presidential hopefuls to prepare for months before inauguration. In 2010, Obama signed legislation encouraging candidates to start early by giving them access to government resources as soon as they accept their party's nomination, which usually happens in late summer of an election year."

Makes sense, and classy of Obama to be the one to do it. I think I read somewhere Romney was getting security briefings too, just in case.

by Anonymousreply 1911/20/2012

The Mittanic sinks into the sea

by Anonymousreply 2011/20/2012

"Romney's Transition Chief Is Encouraging States To Implement Obamacare"

This was the law, remember, that his guy was going to repeal on "Day One."

Oh, but wait, Romney lost.

And, oh, the transition chief just happens to have a business that will set up a health-care exchange in your state!

Isn't it all wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 2111/20/2012

per r19, Romney and Ryan started received national security intelligence briefings in mid-September.

by Anonymousreply 2211/20/2012

For those of you who viewed Romney as "moderate," does the fact he put a right-wing GOP Mormon ex-governor in charge of his transition tell you anything? All the top people would be Mormon or rich brats.

by Anonymousreply 2311/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!