Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Clothes tips

I have recently lost weight (DL goes 'YAY!') because I was a bit too rolly poly (DL goes 'FAT - EEEEEEEEEW! YOU SHOULD DIE!!!") and now I'm trying to look good clothed too, in order to be a better homosexual overall.

Clinton and Stacey, my social workers, are always telling me buy clothes that fit and even when they do fit, get them altered so they super fit.

What are your tips about fitting clothes? And buying clothes, generally.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

Uh, tips on getting clothes that fit? Really?

Well, make sure your shirts button over your tum, with no strain on the buttons. The waistline of your pants should not create rolls around your middle. The pants need to be the correct length, trouser hems should be about at mid-heel, when you stand up straight (skinny jeans or summer pants may be shorter).

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

Don't listen to anyone that tells you that wearing all black is slimming. Only fat people and central casting douchebag artists wear all black.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Go for one size larger, especially on top.

R2 is right about all black but I did well with black pants and lighter colored shirts.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

Also, whatever your collar size is measured at, add half an inch to that, unless you enjoy a tight pinch around the neck.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

Don't buy one size bigger for anything OP. Go to a good department store that has a real salesman working the men's dept. and get everything measured correctly, then if that salesman is good he will help you find clothes that fit, and if he's real good he'll try to set up a relationship so that he will look for sales items and clothes that he thinks would work for you in the future. It's a real profession and some of these guys make real money. My sister's husband looks like a million bucks, and all because he has a salesman at Sak's that looks out for him.

If you buy strictly off the rack at like, Nordstrum's basement or Marshall's, then find a tailor to take the shirts in so that they fit your torso to a nice v shape.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

Pleated pants are rarely flattering. Go flat front if you can. Congrats on your weight loss!

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

OP it helps if you like shopping. I have wide shoulders, a small waist and wide hips. Im also only 5'8. It is a pain in the ass to find clothes that fit well. Men that are 5'11 and above with narrow bodies have a way easier time finding clothes that fit off the rack properly.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

Caftans should NEVER go below the ankles...this year anyway.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

Most have no idea on sizing correctly, the shoulder seam fit is the worst offender. Unless you go to a tailor you will need to try on a lot of clothing.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

Thank to all except R1.

Although I am delighted to see he's not only mastered the basics but recalls them as well. A++++, cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

When I lost weight and I needed some clothes, I made an appointment with a personal shopper at Macys, but I think all the big dept stores have them for free. You give them your measurements and what type of clothes you are looking for and they will prepare a private showing and dressing room for you. They will arrange any tailoring and will tell you if something doesn't fit and will also make you look at things you might not normally consider.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

Fit is everything. Even the most expensive clothing will look like shit if it doesn't fit you correctly. Find yourself a good tailor for alterations, and it may be well worth it to get something custom made, so you can see how great you look when clothes fit well. Good luck OP, and......YAY!

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

R11 is right, but go somewhere better tham Macy's.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

Hold it, you cunts.

What kind of clothing are we talking about? Is this business, business casual, casual, getting laid, or errand attire?

For all I know, you, Clinton, and Stacey work the shelter and just need some L.L. Bean that deflects spit and puss.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.