Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Mitt Romney Is Now Officially the Most Hated Man in America

Mon Nov. 19, 2012

To start off this short week, I'd like to add my voice to the many on the left who are endlessly amused at how thoroughly Mitt Romney is being thrown under the bus by the right for the heinous crime of....saying nothing more than what most of them have believed for a long time. He thinks Obama won by promising lots of goodies to poor people and minorities, and unless I've misunderstood several decades worth of conservative complaints, that's a pretty mainstream view on the right.

"We are reaching the tipping point where the majority of Americans are recipients of government programs," said uber-mainstream conservative George Will earlier this year. "The tactic of the Democratic Party is to run up the dependency ratio in this country until you get 50-60 percent of Americans dependent on the government [...] at which point they figure the party of government will always win." A few weeks after Will made his comment, Mother Jones released the infamous 47 percent video, which prompted Ron Brownstein to write:

Far from a gaffe, Romney’s remarks reflected both a long-standing belief among conservatives that the nation faces a “tipping point” in which growing dependency will create an insurmountable electoral majority for big government — and Democratic candidates. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, Romney’s running mate, has delivered similar arguments for years. “We risk hitting [a] tipping point in our society where we have more takers than makers,” he said recently. “President Obama’s policies are feverishly putting more people into the column of being takers than makers ... being more dependent.”

The conservative Heritage Foundation, in the latest edition of its “Index of Dependence on Government” likewise concluded earlier this year: “Perhaps the greatest danger is that the swelling ranks of Americans who enjoy government services and benefits for which they pay few or no taxes will lead to a spreading sense of entitlement that is simply incompatible with self-government.”

Conservatives believe that liberals are intent on creating a welfare state that saps initiative, leads to moral decay, makes voters more dependent on government, and helps cement the Democratic Party's hold on power. They've been saying this forever. But when Mitt Romney says it in slightly blunter terms than we're used to, they practically barrel over each other running for the exits.

Poor Mitt. Conservatives never liked him in the first place, so he tried hard to say all the things they wanted him to say. But once he lost, he was an instant pariah. He was saying the stuff they wanted him to say during a campaign, not realizing that the rules had changed. Once the campaign was over, that exact same stuff was a rather too blunt admission of what conservatives believe. He was betraying the cause, not helping it. The price he'll pay is a banishment from the conservative movement even more thorough than George Bush's. Conservatives are not kind to their losers.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012

To even pick Romney in the first place, the GOP has already gone off the deep end.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

"To even pick Romney in the first place, the GOP has already gone off the deep end."

But he was the best choice out of all the candidates. You think Gingrich and Santorum would have done better?!

They made the best choice. But their best wasn't good enough.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Bunch of idiots who ignore the fact that red state citizens for the most part get the most help from the gov't and of course corporations get breaks all the time from the gov't. After all, they make sure they do.

Hypocrisy and well, lunacy. And they are all validating for their party Romney's 47% remark which was one of the most stupid things ever uttered during an Presidential campaign, not including primaries and everything that came out of Sarah Palin's mouth.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

Well, I'm so cutting edge; I hated Romney long before this news.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

You're a true trendsetter R4.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

You think I don't want to work and get decent salary and health benefits? I have been looking for over a year, going on two, and I found my dream job, but it is "part time, seasonal." So of course, no benefits. Yet, the top people are walking around with luxury cars and bonuses. The problem isn't people living off of the government, sure there are a lot of dead beats, but there are also people who would jump at the chance for a decent job that wasn't in retail or food service hell and offered a living wage and benefits. I tried the health care industry and we were severely understaffed on a daily basis and I was constantly doing the work of two people. I saw the signs of an early grave if I kept going that route. What the fuck to you want us to do, Republicans?????

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

I think he's an entitled elitist who's had a pampered life and is an obnoxious snob to boot, but there are many on the Right that I hate far more than Mitt Antoinette.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

This is awesome. Everything Mitt Romney has done in his adult life has been motivated by a desire to gain peoples' approval...and now all of his accomplishments will be forgotten due to his ridiculous disdain for the American electorate. Romney had an opportunity to become the de facto standard bearer of the Republican party, and now the only thing that will make Conservatives happy is if he announces he's a Democrat!

In hindsight, the top-earners who would've benefitted the most under a Romney presidency should be glad that he lost. The man is so lacking in compassion and self awareness that he would've facilitated a modern-day French Revolution by the day of his inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

[quote]Everything Mitt Romney has done in his adult life has been motivated by a desire to gain peoples' approval

Actually, I think his desire was to get rich. Laying off thousands and busting up businesses wasn't done to please the unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

While I dislike Romney & I find his pariah status just fantastic, I don't understand how the repugs can run from him yet embrace Paul Ryan. To me, Ryan is even more loathsome than Romney and whatever hope Romney had of moving towards the center was held back by his tied to Ryan's ideas which even the Bush administration thought were too harsh. I honestly don't get it. By all rights, Ryan ought to be some sort of washed up has been, yet he's still their darling

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

R9: Mitt might not want to be liked by literally everyone, but he certainly wants to be liked. His main desire wasn't even necessarily just to get rich either...it was to be a success. He sees himself as a man who has managed to attain the material indicators of success..."perfect" family...extreme wealth...power...the only thing that could ever satisfy him is accomplishing what his father couldn't: becoming President of the US.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

Hopefully this permanently inoculates the USA from ever having a Mormon President.

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

[quote]While I dislike Romney & I find his pariah status just fantastic, I don't understand how the repugs can run from him yet embrace Paul Ryan.

R10. Ultimately, only the top of the ticket matters regarding a political future. Ryan wasn't running for president, so Ryan as a future presidential candidate is still viable.

by Anonymousreply 1311/20/2012

Madilyn Murray O'Hair was named the most hated woman in America. Do any of you remember her? The media used to make up sensational names or titles for people. It doesn't happen that much anymore.

Mitt's post election analysis showed his true character. Media pundits said we couldn't tell who the real Mitt Romney was because he'd change his position on anything to win. Not really. He showed himself enough for people to figure out he doesn't care for about 90+% of this country.

by Anonymousreply 1511/20/2012

[quote]But somehow you 'mos think it's cool if you take money out of a rich person's bank account simply by calling it a tax.

freeperella, somehow you think it's cool that you can take wages away from poor people and give them to the rich, while sticking the taxpayer to make up the difference by footing the bill for food stamps and medicaid.

by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2012

Hmmm... Project much R14?

My 83 year old mother follows the news. She no longer drives.

What Obama did was made certain new Republican laws, wouldn't mean she'd have to make her way down to government offices and stand in lines twice, or have to cast a questioned "provisional" ballot, order to exercise a right she's had longer than you've been alive.

I know that dashes Freeper dreams. Tough shit.

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2012

[quote]Madilyn Murray O'Hair was named the most hated woman in America. Do any of you remember her?

Yes, she hated God and loved gold. Then someone killed her, her son and his daughter and stole their gold. The killers hid the bodies which were not discovered for years.

by Anonymousreply 1811/20/2012

You'd be wrong R7. Mitt is the worst of them. Most of them are just stupid clowns.

by Anonymousreply 1911/21/2012

A lot of Americans voted for this guy, so....

by Anonymousreply 2011/22/2012

[quote]"We are reaching the tipping point where the majority of Americans are recipients of government programs," said uber-mainstream conservative George Will earlier this year.

Of course, the greatest irony of this remark is that the overwhelming majority of this government-program aid goes to REPUBLICAN SENIOR CITIZENS AND VETS WOUNDED IN COMBAT.

by Anonymousreply 2111/22/2012

Actually Marie Antoinette looks positively empathetic compared to Mitt and the GOP.

At least she considered cake for the peasants.The Repugs would have a hard time giving any of the icing off the cake let alone the recipe.

by Anonymousreply 2211/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.