Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

AMA Ratings Hit New Low

[quote]According to Entertainment Weekly, the dismal numbers are the lowest ever for the show with a mere 9.5 million tuning in. That is a staggering 21 percent drop from last year.

Popular music sucks these days.

by Anonymousreply 10412/22/2012

Well, when Justin Bieber wins the "Artist of the Year" award, you pretty much deserve sitting through all of the hell.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

Not all pop music sucks, just the artists lame enough to attend this farce of an awards show.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

I didn't even know they still aired it.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

These are meaningless awards (well most awards are meaningless, aren't they). Dick Clark thought them up to make even more money. I can't remember the last time I watched them but it had to be sometime in the 1990's.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

Right wing monopolies killed radio.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

VMAs also had their lowest ratings in history a few months ago. I think people are over seeing the same manufactured artists winning one meaningless award after another. It's boring.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

"I think people are over seeing the same manufactured artists winning one meaningless award after another"

Then explain the continued popularity of Justin Bieber, Rihanna, and Taylor Swift.

People like crappy music - you are just projecting your own opinions.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

Also, free mp3s have probably improved people's taste. You can have a massive music library now for nothing, and I think people listen to whatever they want and aren't as concerned whether it's a current top 40 hit.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

[quote]Then explain the continued popularity of Justin Bieber, Rihanna, and Taylor Swift.

I guess not enough of their fans want to see them on TV, judging by the ratings.

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

People like [bold] crappy [/bold] music - you are just projecting your own opinions.

*giggle*

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

Justin Bieber's acoustic singing of 'As Long As you Love Me' last night at the AMA's was gorgeous, moving, emotional, stunningly great, and extraordinary last night.

He sat on a stool with nothing except one guitarist unplugged.

I really respected his talent after hearing that.

See if you can find a youtube.com video of it if you're interested.

Pink also did the most incredible classical modern dance number with a shirtless expert dancer. It was almost ballet and had ballent movements. It was very professional - no hip hop, etc - just classic modern dance to a ballad - song from her new album.

It really showed how Pink is an extrarodinary, remarkable talent. The dance was also very moving, very raw with pure emotional, and an incredible creation.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

I thought the AMA show last night was FANTASTIC!

One exciting production number after another non-stop for three hours.

Really excellent production numbers.

Plain fun wrapped into lots of fantastic dancing and great songs.

The only number I didn't care for was Christina Aguerela's.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

[quote]Well, apparently 9.5 million people wanted to watch them. But this is the datalounge, where people think a show like Mad Men that gets 2 million viewers is a smash

Lowest rated in history and down 21% from last year. Can your read? An eroding audience isn't a 'smash.'

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Regardless of the quality of the show, why would I watch three hours of television when I can see just the two or three clips I want to on the internet tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

"Can your read?"

Can your type?

Ratings for network shows IN GENERAL are going down because of competition from cable.

Duh.

And 9.5 million people is still more viewers than 95% of shows on tv.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

Pitbull and the korean 'gangum style' hit song guy both did elaborate separate exciting, fun, 'dance to' production numbers.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

I'm guessing R8/R12/R17 is a Belieber.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

Well look at the top recording acts today. Many of them fucking suck. I watch the music award shows just for the performances as I don't give no fucks about who wins the awards. Most of the performances were bad. I thought P!nk's was the best, with Usher, Kelly and Carrie doing OK.

Bieber is a mediocre talent and his faux-tough guy look is so pathetic and transparent.

Minaj can rap but I just don't find her to be that great.

Lincoln Park was OK but all their songs sound the same.

Taylor Swift can't sing and while I like that her new song "Trouble" FINALLY sounds different from other songs she's done, her vocals are just so weak.

The Wanted? The chorus of "I Found You" sounds so off-key. They should be gone in a year, 2 max.

Carly Rae Jepsen is cute but if I hear "Call Me Maybe" 1 more time...

No Doubt are done. Their new album blows. I used to like them too but their current songs are just awful.

Chris Brown SHOULD NEVER GO SHIRTLESS with that scrawny ass body of his.

Stevie Wonder needs to stop performing. He's lost his voice and goes off pitch...He has been this way for the past 10 years or so.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

R19, no, I've never had much of an interest in him one way or another.

I was stunned by his acoustic performance last night of 'As Long As You Love Me' just he sitting on a stool, no accompanyment (sp) except an acoutis guitarist.

It was so incredibly excellent. Raw, raw emotion.

I do like his dance moves when he does dance numbers.

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

The Country Music awards get higher ratings than the AMA

I wonder why?

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

Back when they were relevant -

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

Who watches award shows anymore? Music is crap nowadays and so are the award shows. The entertainment biz's golden age is long gone now.

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

Kelly Clarkson whose songs I really like looked TERRIBLE last night.

Such a weird dichotomy of how she can look fantastic on SNL and then look so god awful at the AMA's.

She sang a medley of some of her hits which was enjoyable, but the sound for her was not optimal. Something was a little off.

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

sorry, acoustic

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

[quote] Well, apparently 9.5 million people wanted to watch them. But this is the datalounge, where people think a show like Mad Men that gets 2 million viewers is a smash

Mad Men airs on a premium channel. You have to pay extra for it. Dumb comparison

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

Ke$ha, yes, Ke$ha was fantastic last night, and Pink blew me away. No Doubt sounded like shit and Kelly Clarkson was hoarse and off somehow.

by Anonymousreply 2811/19/2012

Again why do the Country Music Awards get higher ratings?

by Anonymousreply 2911/19/2012

Yes, Usher's production number was top notch.

He remains beguiling, enchanting, and exciting.

by Anonymousreply 3011/19/2012

R28, I agree that Ke$ha's number last night was fantastic!

I've never liked her before and had a somewhat negative view of her....until last night.

(although I haven't seen many of her performances in the past, maybe just 1 or 2 previously, I've now been turned around by last night)

by Anonymousreply 3111/19/2012

R29, because country music has a lot of super stars, great songwriters, interesting performers, fun songs, emotionally raw moving ballads, and very good talent/musicians/rock these days.

by Anonymousreply 3211/19/2012

[quote] Again why do the Country Music Awards get higher ratings?

Because the only competition in the South are lynchings.

by Anonymousreply 3311/19/2012

Glad to see it. Maybe the music industry will stop with the teen beat stars and start signing up real musicians and songwriters again.

by Anonymousreply 3411/19/2012

I think last night was maybe the first time Taylor Swift added a bunch of overtly sexual dramatizations, with her dominating one of the dancers lording over him as he lay backwards on the floor and she was wearing a dominatrix outfit....

and then she laid backwards on the floor wearing the sexy dominatrix outfit.

It was a big dramatization production number with lots of male players on stage.

The new song 'Trouble' is a good one.

Actually it was fun seeing her be overtly sexual.

by Anonymousreply 3511/19/2012

[quote] Maybe the music industry will stop with the teen beat stars and start signing up real musicians and songwriters again.

Which is why the Country Music Awards gets higher ratings.

by Anonymousreply 3611/19/2012

Am I the only one who reads AMA as "American Medical Association" automatically?

by Anonymousreply 3711/19/2012

No Doubt's record is bombing on the charts. No one cares about them.

by Anonymousreply 3811/19/2012

Taylor Swift R36, the text book teen beat star, add into this a good dunking of right wing, racist and homophobic fanbase and voila the Country Music Awards numbers.

by Anonymousreply 3911/19/2012

WTF some of you queens really have low standards. Ke$ha or as I say Tra$ha, is garbage. She didn't sound or look good last night. SHe's a talentless hack.

and Aguilera really bombed last night. She should be over too. From Bionic to this messy performance? Her look and sound were awful.

We need a bunch of new recording acts who can SING, dance and look good.

by Anonymousreply 4011/19/2012

I love Kenny Chesney's somewhat new ballad 'Call Me'.

It's poetic, alluring, and draws one in.

And the video shows him making love all over the place.

It's artistic.

Don't yell at me - just saying it is worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 4111/19/2012

I've always thought Ke$ha was garbage too, but she hit a high point last night with that production number.

Perhaps she'll be garbage going forward, but that number last night was very creative and enjoyable.

Aguilera has been a disaster for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 4211/19/2012

[quote] Yes.

Yes they have.

by Anonymousreply 4311/19/2012

America is already flooded with people who can sing and dance and who look good.

The American music industry needs quality songs again. Else change the name to the American Reality TV Awards - music, no longer required.

by Anonymousreply 4411/19/2012

I'm sorry, but there are just too many goddamn awards shows. I don't even know when half of them come on anymore. As a matter of fact, it seems like the AMAs, CMAs, and Grammys air twice a year as frequently as they're advertised.

by Anonymousreply 4511/19/2012

R44 we see a lot of talent on those singing shows, but almost always the best 3 or 4 contestants never win, or if they win, their career goes nowhere. The top acts these days are mostly non-singers or they don't dance, or they're not attractive.

Think about it-Ke$ha is creative, I'll give her that but she can't sing, she's not a dancer and she's not attractive. Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, none of them are singers. They can all carry a tune but they can't sing.

Lady Gaga can sing and dance but she's butt ugly. Adele doesn't dance. Jessie J can sing and dance but she doesn't have her own style.

I've been watching the Voice, and there are big talents there, but already a number of my favorites were cut in the Battle rounds which is ridiculous. Someone like Dez Duran is going to win when he has no business winning.

by Anonymousreply 4611/19/2012

It is about the terrible quality of music being written. Nobody cares who sings it. R46 you are a reality TV junkie. You can get meds for that.

by Anonymousreply 4711/19/2012

Christina Aguilera is killing her own career. From the start she did not want to listen to anyone when it came to her music. She wanted creative control right away and Irving Azoff made sure she got it. She does not know what she is doing and she is killing what should have been a long varied career in music. Bitch needs to wake the fuck up. She also needs to get an identity. The whole weird, freaky, gay thing is Gaga's.

by Anonymousreply 4811/19/2012

Mad Men is not on a pay channel. It's on basic cable. AMC.

Also, I agree on Kelly Clarkson. She looked like a middle age barfly trying to dress in her version of 'hot'.

by Anonymousreply 4911/19/2012

Christina's new album bombed. That's two massive flops in a row. She's done.

by Anonymousreply 5011/19/2012

r46 seems to think every pop star has to sing and dance. I'd prefer someone just sing really well. You'd be surprised how entertaining listening to someone sing really well can be, no dancing or acrobatic circus performers are necessary.

by Anonymousreply 5111/19/2012

[quote] because country music has a lot of super stars, great songwriters, interesting performers, fun songs, emotionally raw moving ballads, and very good talent/musicians/rock these days.

You left out the homophobes

by Anonymousreply 5211/19/2012

The ratings always reflect the quality of talent receiving awards at these shows.

by Anonymousreply 5311/19/2012

Kelly Clarkson performing

by Anonymousreply 5411/19/2012

I watched the Ken Burns DUSTBOWL documentary. Much better.

AMA's have always been crap.

by Anonymousreply 5511/19/2012

r25, aren't they trying to make her (kelly) into a country singer? I think her new one is with Vince Gill.

by Anonymousreply 5611/19/2012

r50 - HAHA

by Anonymousreply 5711/19/2012

That's what I watched too, R55.

Engrossing, but ultimately depressing.

Do you find Peter Coyote (the narrator) sounds like Peter Fonda?

by Anonymousreply 5811/19/2012

Sorry, HENRY Fonda

by Anonymousreply 5911/19/2012

The Dust Bowl was great. As was Boardwalk Empire.

by Anonymousreply 6011/19/2012

I watched the performances online. The whole show pretty much sounded like one long continuous song, with the exception of Kelly Clarkson, Pink and Justin Beiber doing his acoustic. Has pop music always been this one note?

by Anonymousreply 6111/19/2012

No, muzak is more homogenous than ever.

by Anonymousreply 6211/19/2012

Where was the talent? Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj? Today's music has become pretentious and superficial, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 6311/19/2012

Kelly Clarkson can sing, unlike most of them.

by Anonymousreply 6411/19/2012

[quote]It is about the terrible quality of music being written.

When you have Gangnam Style at number 1 in the charts, music is pretty much dead.

by Anonymousreply 6511/19/2012

Ah, whatever...

by Anonymousreply 6611/19/2012

Christina Aguilera needs to retire from the industry and raise her child.

by Anonymousreply 6711/20/2012

Yes, r61.

It goes in cycles. One main difference is because the system is technologically advanced, acts are discovered sooner or manufactured outright.

Feeding the star maker machinery causes a glut of talentless pretty people.

I've been sick, tired and wanting to die for a long time.

When I finally kill myself, all I want is to live long enough to see the music industry get another kick in the ass from real talent.

by Anonymousreply 6811/20/2012

Oh god, all the old farts on here. People ate sick of award shows, and people who do want to see them watch them on the web.

by Anonymousreply 6911/20/2012

[quote]Where was the talent? Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj? Today's music has become pretentious and superficial, unfortunately.

Unlike the 80s?! Bwahahahaha

by Anonymousreply 7011/20/2012

[quote]When you have Gangnam Style at number 1 in the charts, music is pretty much dead.

Those gimmick one hit wonders have happened in every decade hon, and it's actually a good song, and it's not America.

by Anonymousreply 7111/20/2012

[quote]The ratings always reflect the quality of talent receiving awards at these shows

No, grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 7211/20/2012

[quote]Mad Men airs on a premium channel. You have to pay extra for it. Dumb comparison

You don't pay extra, moron. It's AMC.

by Anonymousreply 7311/20/2012

I stopped watching the year they stopped inviting "The Captain and Tennille" back.

by Anonymousreply 7411/20/2012

Didn't the Grammys have huge ratings this year?

I never watch the AMAs. I don't even understand the purpose.

by Anonymousreply 7511/20/2012

Someone start a Christina's Collapse Is Complete thread ASAP. She's got two consecutive flop albums, flop singles, no one likes her anymore. She's over.

by Anonymousreply 7611/20/2012

Millions might have tuned in if ABC had promoted that Bieber would be performing in a tank. That way we could look closely to try to answer the question on all our minds: has he starting growing armpit hair...a stop on the road to puberty?

by Anonymousreply 7711/20/2012

They need to stop asking the same performers to perform at every popular awards show.

by Anonymousreply 7811/20/2012

When Bieber is the main attraction, I'm out.

by Anonymousreply 7911/20/2012

All of these talentless fools are jump-offs. Yuck. I'm very glad I don't watch that shit.

by Anonymousreply 8011/20/2012

This is an awards show that is completely unnecessary and is considered an industry joke. Isn't it kind of redundant to the Grammy awards?

by Anonymousreply 8211/20/2012

R82, the Grammys are just as bad. All we see are the shitty manufactured crap the labels pay to get on radio. The real talent doesn't fit the format, gets no radio, sells less but puts on a Helluva good concert.

In truth, the reality talent shows have discovered real singers who can deliver great performances but radio won't play them, except for Kelly Clarkson who isn't even the best. The best of them didn't win.

by Anonymousreply 8311/20/2012

Reality TV shows are nothing more than Karaoke shows. There is no talent there. Just stick a camera in the Ramada Airport bar already. You will find the same quality of singers - a dime a dozen. The world is flooded with people who can sing well, it is not a rare thing.

by Anonymousreply 8411/20/2012

The music industry needs an overhaul.

by Anonymousreply 8511/21/2012

You can buy an AMA.

Justin has obviously done this several years in a row.

by Anonymousreply 8611/21/2012

[quote] Isn't it kind of redundant to the Grammy awards?

I thought the AMAs were voted for by the public and that's why the categories are called "Favorite Pop Artist", "Favorite R&B Single" etc instead of "Best Pop Vocal", "Best R&B Song" etc.

by Anonymousreply 8711/21/2012

Miguel should have been a performer. r&b really got the shaft this year at the AMA's. Minaj is pophop. We need more singers. Way too many non-singers around (Minaj, Rihanna, Katy, Ke$ha, Taylor) etc...and Shitney will be back with another album soon I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 8811/21/2012

I don't like to brag but this might possibly be the greatest performance ever from the American Music Awards. I swept the AMAs that year winning every category that I was nominated in!

by Anonymousreply 8911/21/2012

Music needs a new Nirvana, some band to bring some maverick and visceral depth back to the mainstream. R'n'Bing and bubblegum hip-hop has ruined music.

by Anonymousreply 9011/21/2012

The Music industry needs to stop theft so record companies can start hiring song writers again and stop hiring teen beat cover stories.

Today, the decisions are made at the photo shoot, not in the recording studio.

by Anonymousreply 9111/21/2012

There is also an issue which isn't really very PC to mention but there is the problem of mainstream American adopting African American ghetto culture where the idea of education and intelligence is considered "gay" and uncool. All rappers rap about being gangsters and thug life. Justin Biber is a laughable example of white kids trying to act like African American thugs from the projects.

by Anonymousreply 9211/21/2012

[quote]Didn't the Grammys have huge ratings this year?

The Grammy's ratings were amongst their best ever not because anyone cared but because Whitney Houston had died the night before.

by Anonymousreply 9311/21/2012

r92, That "African American ghetto culture" gave you Jazz, Soul and the Blues. Everything from Louis Armstrong, to Billie, Ella, Sarah, Nina, Otis, Aretha, B.B. King, Sam Cooke and yes, even Elvis, to Motown, Rock 'n' Roll, and the classic R&B-pop of Stevie Wonder to Whitney Houston. If you want to see just how bland American music would be without black influence, look no further than Australia who are basically the same country without the African bit. They have no original music of their own.

by Anonymousreply 9411/21/2012

r94 is right, but the problem came when African American culture was hijacked by white corporate America diluted down to an offensive racist stereotype (Black people are violent, misogynistic, lazy, uneducated, drug deal, gun carry, murderous thugs) and sold to retard white kids who tried to act the same, and they'll never know what it is to be black, Justin fucking Beaver will never know what it's like to walk into a store and for the security guards to pay an extra attention toward you.

It's fucking bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 9511/21/2012

Just merge the Teenbeat Awards and the AMAs.

Same show, same audience.

by Anonymousreply 9611/21/2012

Awarding Justin Beiber for Best Artist on the AMA's, is like awarding Kirstin Stewart for Best Actress on the MTV movie awards...same difference!

by Anonymousreply 9711/21/2012

[quote] Reality TV shows are nothing more than Karaoke shows. There is no talent there. Just stick a camera in the Ramada Airport bar already. You will find the same quality of singers - a dime a dozen. The world is flooded with people who can sing well, it is not a rare thing.

This is very much true. There are a lot of people with great voices but no charisma, no ability to capture or mould the pop culture zeitgeist. The whole idea behind those talent competitions is less to launch someone into the realm of pop stardom but to give the audience a sense of narrative, basically what any successful serialized TV show does. You get invested in those characters and once the show is finished, you buy their record a s a memento of the time you spent following their story and then you move on. It's not like there's any sense of mystery, discovery, pushing the envelope, etc, when you see them week in week out, crying, laughing, thanking their family and friends, and all that nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 9811/21/2012

Let's not forget about Stax, r94. They are part of the history of Rock & Roll as well.

by Anonymousreply 9911/21/2012

Confucius say "when all viewers are teenage girls, then teenage boy gets prize".

by Anonymousreply 10011/21/2012

If they would stop recycling the same five stars over and over, maybe more people would watch. Today's pop stars sound terrible singing live (Katy Perry and Beardy Swift, I'm looking at both of you!).

by Anonymousreply 10112/21/2012

I'm only 26. But around age 22, I stopped having the capacity for new popular music. I will watch the occasional awards show and attend a hipster-y music festival every now and then, just because I feel like I should have some awareness.

Sometimes I find something enjoyable. But every time I do, I'm like, "nope. No capacity to retain and/or keep track of any of this shit."

by Anonymousreply 10212/21/2012

I know exactly what you mean R102 (24 yo here). I still listen to top 40 radio but the number of songs I actually like keeps getting smaller and smaller every year. It just all starts to sound like the same formulaic crap after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 10312/21/2012

Welcome to the Bieber-Swift era of music.

by Anonymousreply 10412/22/2012
Need more help? Click Here.