Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay man is the new governor of Sicily

Wow, this is pretty incredible in a place as conservative and Catholic as Sicily. The world really is changing.

by Anonymousreply 1911/20/2012

Wow ! Just Wow ! For those who haven't seen this documentary, from Donal MacIntyre, "A Very British Gangster", another extraordinary story. He followed during several months a well-know British gangster (Police and the CPR don't manage to bring him down), and he is gay. Everybody knows, no one cares. It gives us one life lesson: being out is the only way, no matter what.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

oh coo. I hope he's ho......never mind

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

A Bottega Veneta bag fell out of that mouth just looking at the photo.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

I get an irascible Barney Frank vibe based on the photo and the interview. He's one ballsy queen.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

This fascinates me. I have laid out a plan for us that includes a place in southern Italy withing the next few years.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

The mafia has plotted to kill him three times, assumedly because he's "family" but not Family. I bet their concern was that he would govern sissyly.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

Picture it, Sicily 2012, fanooks in the streets carrying on with each other.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

lol, r7

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2012

I strongly urge folks to try the Inspector Montalbano mystery series by Andrea Camilleri, set in Sicily (skipping the first one "The Shape of Water" which is grim and adds nothing as an introductory series setup). I had no interest in Sicily at all before these books, and now I'm quite curious. Salvo's a complete foodie - I'd been known to get hungry reading about his meals, while I was eating myself! The books have been made into an Italian TV series, which I understand has been shown on cable, with English subtitles (and can be previewed at YouTube). Sicilians are more advanced than STEREOTYPICAL (please note that word!) Sicilian-Americans. As with the rest of Catholic Europe (and increasingly the USA), it's only the old people (largely female), and a few younger folks who really give a toss what the Church has to say on social issues. The majority are of the "what-EVER" persuasion.

by Anonymousreply 911/20/2012

Not sure that things ha e changed that much. The new mayor has promised, out of deference to his devout catholicism and out of respect for those who have elected him, to abstain from sex for the duration of his mandate. As someone said on another thread, Italy's a weird place, and that old Catholic church has a lot to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 1011/20/2012

oops, I meant governor, not mayor...

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2012

I think it may be that the average person doesn't care, but the Church still holds onto its political influence (see: out-of-step U. S. Congress).

by Anonymousreply 1211/20/2012

It will be a wonderful ten minutes of power in office before the mob gets him!

A new Sicilian record!

by Anonymousreply 1311/20/2012

[quote]The new governor has promised, out of deference to his devout Catholicism and out of respect for those who have elected him, to abstain from sex for the duration of his mandate.

This is very much a bow to the sad reality of the situation -- and pretty much a game of semantics with and for the benefit of Church officials. Because Crocetta is a "devout Catholic," had he not made the promise to abstain he would be at risk for the local priest, bishop, or cardinal refusing to give him Communion at Mass -- an incident no Catholic politician needs. He may still be at that risk, but he lessened it considerably by prospectively addressing it in this unfortunate fashion.

And, make no mistake about it, this is all a game.

As extremely disappointing as it is that he felt the need to do this, it is, nevertheless otherwise remarkable that an openly gay may was elected governor in Sicily.

by Anonymousreply 1411/20/2012

This is basically a game that gay men play in Italy. Straight men in Italy are a sick and twisted lot. Fat wife and kids at home but screwing trannies on the Via Scopare. Yet, they are all straight.

by Anonymousreply 1511/20/2012

... and priests are celibate and politicians honest.

by Anonymousreply 1611/20/2012

Several stereotypes damaged.

by Anonymousreply 1711/20/2012

More archaic weirdness - a kiss on the lips a sign of mafioso loyalty. You couldn't make this creepy stuff up if you tried.

by Anonymousreply 1811/20/2012

Sorry to derail the thread but Luca Zingaretti who played Inspector Montalbano is hot as hell. I would lick every square inch of his body.

by Anonymousreply 1911/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!