Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

17 year Old Convicted Of Manslaughter Sentenced to 10 years of Church

A 17-year-old Muskogee boy has been given a deferred sentence for 10 years. Tyler Alred was charged as a youthful offender with manslaughter. Part of the deferred sentence, Alred is required to go to church once a week for the next 10 years.

Alred was given a chance to stay out of jail for the next ten years but with that chance comes some questions about requiring someone to go to church.

"One, it speaks to maybe forcing people to do religious activities that they would otherwise not do on their own free will. So, that puts pressure on them to do something that they wouldn't normally do and I don't know why a church would want to have someone come to it under the force of government," says TU Law Professor, Gary Allison.

Last December, Alred was driving near Hopewell Park in Muskogee. He crashed and that's when a passenger was ejected from the car and died. He had some alcohol in his system when police arrived. Along with going to church, Alred will also have to graduate high school and welding school, take drug and alcohol tests for a year, wear a drug and alcohol bracelet, and take part in impact panels.

Allison says he has only seen church come up in a deal for parole.

"I do know that often prisoners seeking parole, one of the things they seek to bring in front of the parole board that they have made some server conservation to Christianity," says Allison.

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2012

Love how freepers think going to church will automatically make you a good person

Dennis "BTK" Rader was a Christian and a regular churchgoer.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

He' a little hottie, though.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Unconstitutional.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

I bet the church ladies will be thrilled to have the little thug around.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

What the fuck is this. This can't be legal.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

If DL is any kind of indicator, even the best, most gay-friendly churchgoers, are quick to blame the victims of "Christian Love" rather than clean their own houses.

I'd take the jail time.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

The USA is Jesusland!

by Anonymousreply 711/20/2012

Church is a severe punishment; the US are truly badass.

This could never happen in Europe where even murderers are entitled to have their human rights respected.

by Anonymousreply 811/20/2012

Can it be any church?

by Anonymousreply 911/20/2012

We don't smoke marijuana in Muskogee

We like driving drunk and swilling hooch

by Anonymousreply 1011/20/2012

THis has to be a joke

by Anonymousreply 1111/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.