Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

More progress for Mars tiny step

NASA officials say the Mars rover has discovered that radiation levels on the planet are low enough to not be fatal to humans.

The website notes that the rover made its findings by linking radiation levels to daily changes in Mars weather.

Don Hassler, the radiation investigator on the Curiosity team, predicts:

“Absolutely, astronauts can live in this environment.”

But a big issue remains: Will space travelers be killed by radiation from solar flares as they travel toward Mars?

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

But is the radition level high enough to kill the stench from my pussy?

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

What the fuck is all this for? Who seriously is going to say something like, "honey, I've had it with the boss and this neighborhood, let's pull up stakes and move to Mars". Why is space exploration so terribly necessary and important?! I mean, the Cold War is over, unless there is some secret plan to blast/send all the Muslims to Mars.....

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Exploration R2 has always fascinated men. What happens when this planet's resources and environment are used up?

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

The quest for knowledge and the urge to explore are essential aspects of human civilization, R2. And the survival instinct is even more so. Eventually, the earth will no longer be able to sustain human beings.

Plus--it's just so fucking cool.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

Climate change is just getting us ready for life on harsh planets.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

There aren't a lot of resources on Mars, though. There's very little water and no hydrocarbons.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

We hardly know what resources are on Mars. Besides, it's an essential second step.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

No but it might have lots of minerals R6.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

Yay, let's destroy another planet!

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

Yeah, I can see all these shuttles to and from Mars now...we can't even handle life here, how is moving to Mars going to make it better or different; so few of you make sense or can give even one really good reason for "space exploration". Is it comparable to climbing Mount Everest "just because it's there"? If so, then count MY money for it OUT!!

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

You can't destroy a planet that has no life. However, we could introduce and atmosphere, import life and then kill it all.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

How about setting up colonies in Antarctica, has anyone thought of that? I'm sure those lonely scientists down there yearn for all the schlock from home.

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

Way to think beyond r2.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

Here's the thing, with ion drive Earth to Mars is lt 30 days. With chemical rockets, it's significantly longer.

So our journey to Mars will be electric ion propulsion.

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

They can build McMansions on Mars, too.

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Yeeeah, good luck with all of that....will you be one of the first colonists, Lucifer?

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

r2, I believe it's for the mining. At least until the ancient reactor can be started to make a breathable atmosphere and blue skies.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

And this isn't going to fuck up the solar system worse than it is with global warming on Earth? It all seems like some silly dream world as if so many people are hung up with a Star Wars mentality.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

R18, fuck up the solar system?

You have a pretty grand view of human capabilities.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

I think DL is fucking up the solar system.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!