Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Immigrants in Canada Can Be Deported For Committing a Misdemeanor Crime.

In Canada we have a one-strike and you are deported rule. If any immigrant commits a misdemeanor they will be deported. No matter how long they lived in Canada. And no matter how many children they have had born in Canada. One strike and you are out.

Shoplifting, mischief, disorderly conduct, intoxication, filing a false report, lying, indecent exposure, loitering, petit theft, trespassing, and solicitation.

If an immigrant in Canada commits any of the crimes above, they are deported.

One strike and you are out.

Sound fair?

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2014

Two people agree!?

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

Does it really happen though?

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

You don't share a border with Mexico.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

R2 = correct answer

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

Where is your proof that this is the case, OP? I do not believe it.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

Good! Just so long as the deportees don't end up in the United States! We have plenty of "our own" we need to deport.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

See Link Below

New Canadian immigration legislation could see thousands of permanent residents lose their status and be deported for minor convictions, such as shoplifting, traffic and drug offences. This one strike you’re out is a drastic departure from the more traditional Canadian approach of allowing second chances.

The legislation, Ottawa’s Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act, would in fact target permanent residents convicted of minor crimes. Often times, young children are brought to Canada at an early age as permanent residents, who were raised and schooled in Canada but never became citizens and have lived their whole lives as permanent residents. Many African, Caribbean, Italian, Greek, Portuguese, English, Irish and Scottish permanent residents have not acquired Canadian citizenship despite having been here for a long time. Canadian immigration legislation already makes a distinction between Canadian permanent residents and citizens, in this case Canadian permanent residents are main target of this new law.

Interestingly, the federal government has always had the power to strip landed-immigrant status from any permanent resident convicted of a serious crime. The new legislation, Bill C-43, would allow appeals only for those sentenced to less than six months in jail, down from the current threshold of two years.

This means people committed of minor offences such as possession of marijuana plants can be deported from Canada under Bill C-43. Other offences that can fall under the bill would include permanent residents found to have misrepresented themselves when they applied for immigration.

An omission on an immigrant’s employment history or submitting the incorrect dates of certain events on an immigration application could come back to haunt the individual years later. Currently, the law allows convicted immigrants to lose their immigrant status and be banned from re-entering Canada for two years. The new Act would prevent readmission for five years. Due to the new legislation, thousands of permanent residents’ statuses have been put in peril.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

Link Below

The federal government is plowing ahead with a controversial U.S.-style "one strike and you're out" deportation policy that has drawn fire from immigration lawyers and others who work with newcomers.

If passed, the proposed bill -- brought to Parliament last week by Immigration Minister Jason Kenney -- will force the deportation of non-Canadians who have been convicted of a crime and sentenced to six months or more in jail.

Kenney said Bill C-43 -- The Faster Removal of Foreign Criminals Act -- will streamline the deportation of convicted criminals by limiting their access to appeals.

He said the law would ensure foreign nationals who are inadmissible on the most serious grounds -- security, human or international rights violations, or organized criminality -- will no longer be able to delay their deportation by applying for humanitarian and compassionate consideration.

But Toronto lawyers claim the law will target permanent residents, many of whom arrived in Canada at a young age and were raised, educated, and have established families and businesses here.

Toronto lawyer Mendel Green called the proposal heavy-handed, claiming it will have a significant affect on the immigrant community since many do not take out citizenship.

"I am concerned about the monumental affect this will have on the immigrant community if it becomes law," Green said Monday. "This will be a life sentence for many people."

Andras Schreck, vice-president of the Ontario Criminal Lawyers Association, said the bill raises constitutional issues under Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

"I am concerned that there is no right of appeal for those being deported," Schreck said. "This is serious injustice in that cases should be heard on their own merit."

Lawyer Joel Sandaluk said if the bill becomes law, it will split up families.

"This will destroy families who've been here for a long time," Sandaluk said. "It will create more criminals if parents or other family members are removed from Canada."

The lawyers are holding a news conference on Wednesday to highlight the issue.

Bill C-43 also proposes a new authority to review the temporary entry of visitors and increased penalties for those who try to cheat the system.

The "one strike and you're out" bill stems from the "three strikes laws" in 24 U.S. states that mandates their courts impose life sentences on people convicted of three or more serious criminal offences.

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

It's good that they have some means of escape.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

I would love to see something like this introduced in the UK. Regretably the UK is handcuffed by Europe and the European Human Rights Act.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

Sounds like the government is looking for an excuse to deport minority immigrants. Muslims?

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

Charlie strikes again with r14?

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Toronto and Vancouver have BIG problems with gangs from abroad. In Toronto it is Jamaican gangs and in Vancouver it is Asian gangs. Russian gangs activity is also a fast growth industry in the Northern GTA as per the murder last February. The group of 15 Muslims, who got caught planning to blow up the CN tower a few years back, didn't help the argument either.

It has become an election winning issue at this point, for all political parties.

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

Being deported for a speeding ticket would be absurd. But certainly theft, assault or anything else that is serious I would agree with.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

Let's see if they deport gang members.

It comes across as a pr move, and wouldn't really change things.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

You forget that the police use laws like this for getting rid of known gang members when they can't get anything else to stick. Like putting away Al Capone for tax evasion.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

Just like a charter school.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

I don't see the problem...if you're gonna go out of your way to move to a new country, why on earth would you break the law there? You should be happy you were allowed in. Every country should do this. You'll have nothing to worry about as long as you don't break the law.

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

In the U.S., people can be deported for any crime of moral turpitude.

Which are not limited to felonies, and include a great many misdemeanors, many of which we would not necessarily think of as highly immoral.

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

Some US cities refuse to report an illegal immigrant who commits crime to ICE. I really don't get. We have plenty of problems with legal and citizens who commit crimes so why would any city want to waste money keeping criminal illegal immigrants here?

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

I got fined once fo not having a valid ticket when riding on public transport. If I was an immigrant, it would be absurd to be deported just for that. While crazy people who murder wont get stripped out of their status just because they were born in the country.

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

Not for loitering. What is that, anyway. Everybody doesn't have an Invisibility Cloak.

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

r24 your offense was not a misdemeanor. It was an infraction. Do you not know the difference?

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

I bet it's never enforced. They have lawyers in Canada too. In fact, both Canada and the USA use British Common Law as the basis of their legal system. In the US, only Louisiana uses French Law as their basis for their legal system.

How many deportations take place under this law in Canada per year?

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

Of course it's too harsh, at least as described.

If they become citizens, this would not happen, right? It's for people who want to be permanent residents but remain citizens of another country, which is still unfair, but these countries do seem increasingly looking for ways to get rid of immigrants who choose not to become citizens.

by Anonymousreply 2811/19/2012

Last I checked, deportation wasn't free. It costs nearly 20,000.00 US to deport one person.

by Anonymousreply 2911/19/2012

I'm not comfortable with shoplifting being one of the offenses, especially if it's shoplifting food.

by Anonymousreply 3011/19/2012

The United States will never be so enlightened because our feckless politicians want votes.

by Anonymousreply 3111/19/2012

r23, mayors in "Sanctury Cities" don't want to spend taxpayers money to investigate and report illegals. They view it as a Federal issue.

by Anonymousreply 3211/19/2012

r32 that's not true. I live in one of those sanctuary cities. They are afraid to offend constituents who belong to those minority groups that are most affected by ICE.

by Anonymousreply 3311/19/2012

Who wants to import a bunch of strikers?

by Anonymousreply 3411/19/2012

r33 confirms what r31 said.

by Anonymousreply 3511/19/2012

[quote]Last I checked, deportation wasn't free. It costs nearly 20,000.00 US to deport one person.

At least that money stays in the US economy.

by Anonymousreply 3611/19/2012

Just think of the federal jobs these laws create. Think of the tickets to foreign places these laws require, think of all the pilots, stewards and landing fees being paid to deport these criminals, generates. How can any upstanding law abiding person not love these laws. If everyone who decides they hate the shithole they are born into, could just pick up and move, all the English speaking countries would be overrun with the destitute and medically trained from India.

by Anonymousreply 3711/19/2012

1. Re-institute the death penalty.

2. Make it a capital offense to commit any crime in Canada as an illegal alien. AKA Canada could shoot them. $1 for a bullet is cheaper than $20,000 for a flight back home, to which they only return again.

by Anonymousreply 3811/19/2012

R28 it is also for immigrants who are permanent residents as well.

Their citizenship will be revoked, and they will be deported.

by Anonymousreply 3911/19/2012

Since I always meticulously follow all rules (except the dumb ones), it wouldn't stop me at all.

by Anonymousreply 4011/19/2012

[quote] Wild Rose Party

What a STOOPID name for a political party!

signed:

Preston Manning, onetime leader of the [bold] C [/bold] anadian [bold] R [/bold] eform [bold] A [/bold] lliance [bold] P [/bold] arty

by Anonymousreply 4111/19/2012

They wouldn't DARE throw us out.

by Anonymousreply 4211/19/2012

All the illegal LA street gang members who were deported El Salvador back in the '80s and '80s have now wreaked havoc in the streets El Salvador. They took what they learned in LA and formed the notorious MS-13.

by Anonymousreply 4311/19/2012

A lot of them are murdered by locals as soon as they get home, r43

by Anonymousreply 4411/19/2012

A lot of people are murdered and starving in this world. Canada can't save 7 billion people. Canada can't even afford to pay the infrastructure costs of the 33 Million it already has and is running a huge deficit.

The last thing Canada or the USA needs is more, cheap immigrant labour.

by Anonymousreply 4511/19/2012

[quote]All the illegal LA street gang members who were deported El Salvador back in the '80s and '80s have now wreaked havoc in the streets El Salvador.

Well, better that it's in El Salvador than in the streets of LA.

by Anonymousreply 4611/19/2012

No doubt r46. That was my point. I really don't understand the mentality of officials in sanctuary cities. If you want to commit a crime, do it in your own damn country. We've got our own problems here.

In CA, the courts ordered the state to cut the prison population due to overcrowding. Many prison inmates were sent to county jails. Low-offense inmates were released. Many of those in our prisons are illegals. We're housing and feeding them.

by Anonymousreply 4711/19/2012

Too bad r46, it's not our problem that these countries can't get their own houses in order--there are enough problems here to deal with than worry about fuckin' El Salvador. Maybe one of the things they can do to start getting their "house in order" is to get the hang of birth control.a

by Anonymousreply 4811/19/2012

Sounds fair to me. Guests don't get to play by the same rules as the hosts.

by Anonymousreply 4911/19/2012

Dumbass R48, MS13 started in L.A. not El Salvador. I might add that the war that caused people to flee El Salvador in the first place was funded and executed by your CIA.

by Anonymousreply 5011/20/2012

This seems fair! Since we now have a huge influx of immigrants coming from countries that crime is a normal thing....do it in Canada and we will ship your ass back to the hell hole you came from! Great to promote good and responsible citizenship!

by Anonymousreply 5201/27/2014

Can we please send Justin Bieber back to Canada?

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.