Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Bret Easton Ellis at it again

La Ellis now tweeting that David Foster Wallace is a jerk for calling HIV "a blessing" while at the same time defending his own "watching Glee is like stepping in a puddle of HIV" comment.

He goes on to say that the "Gay Fascist Middlebrow" is responsible for the controversy surrounding his comment.

He ends by saying, ""Why don't well-meaning gay (and straight) people understand that gay people find it funny to deconstruct gay stereotypes and have a laugh?"

I sort of understand what he's trying to say and a little bit of me recognizes a certain validity in his argument, yet at the same time I don't think it's authentic so I can't really agree with him.

And yeah, he's a total Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

I guess the essential flaw in his argument is that the sort of deconstructive humor that he's talking about is generally confined to closed quarters (like Datalounge, for example) with an audience of like-minded people who can understand it and won't be offended by it; once it's exposed to outsiders, it becomes a liability.

In addition, Ellis's comments aren't designed so much to be critiques as vehicles for getting attention.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

He does know that David Foster Wallace has been dead for several years, right?

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Hate Ellis, but I'm curious about the context of DFW's "AIDS is a blessing" remark in his essays.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

[quote]He does know that David Foster Wallace has been dead for several years, right?

But the DFW bio is fairly recent, wherein he's read the stuff he's been tweetplaining about lately, and the DFW cult is seemingly evergreen.

by Anonymousreply 411/19/2012

Why did Wallace say, 'Aids is a blessing'?

In what context can such a statement be OK?

Hoping it was a misquote because I have previously admired him.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

[quote]There are a couple of disposable entries, and a thoroughly offensive one in which Wallace perversely argues that casually promiscuous members of his own generation “might well come to regard AIDS as a blessing, a gift perhaps bestowed by nature to restore some critical balance, or maybe summoned unconsciously out of the collective erotic despair of the post-60s glut.”

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

Thanks, R6.

What a profoundly stupid thing to write.

I can imagine a 14th-century Wallace pompously scribing that the Black Death was 'summoned unconsciously out of the collective holy despair of the post-Crusades glut'.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.