Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Best actor and actress awards for 2012 ?

Are anyone better than the 2 French stars Jean-Louis Trintignant and Emmanuelle Riva, both in their 80s, in Haneke's AMOUR, which won top prize at Cannes this year. There is huge buzz about them and it is the crossover hit of the year, SKYFALL for the art-house set. I just don't see anybody else getting the same response, unless Day-Lewis will for LINCOLN. When will the nominations be out ?

by Anonymousreply 5501/14/2013

You sound European op.

by Anonymousreply 111/19/2012

I agree with you 100 percent, OP.

I have no doubt Emmanuelle Riva will be nominated. She should win, too.

J-L Trintignant is great as well, but the best actor field is crowded, and I fear he won't get in. Pity.

I've seen Amour twice now, and it is easily the best film in YEARS.

I'm ok with DDL winning, though. He's great too, and deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 211/19/2012

Yes r1, I was writing from a European viewpoint, Amour just opened here in London this last weekend to rave reviews. I have been waiting to see it for ages, going to later this week. That and Skyfall and Rust And Bone are the ones I want to see at the moment, just got the dvd of Killer Joe as well and waiting for Magic Mike next week.

by Anonymousreply 311/19/2012

I also think Trintignant should get the Best Actor Oscar. He's the oldest, so that may be in his favor.

by Anonymousreply 412/22/2012

The Oscar nominations will be announced January 10.

I can't wait to see Amour; unfortunately, it's not supposed to hit my city until January 18, a week and a half after the nominations are announced.

Jean-Louis Trintignant is probably the best actor of the past 60 years who has never been nominated for an Academy Award. A Man and a Woman; The Great Silence; Z; My Night at Maud's; The Conformist, etc. Brilliant, brilliant actor.

by Anonymousreply 512/22/2012

[quote] Are anyone better than the 2 French stars

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 612/22/2012

I can't see anybody else but Day Lewis taking best actor. It was a fantastic performance.

Eddie Redmayne, from what I am hearing, might be an upset in best supporting actor. Apparently he really stands out among those who've seen the previews. The merit of the overall film notwithstanding, apparently he really does some effective work in it. I haven't seen it, so can't say, but it could be a factor based on what buzz I am reading.

by Anonymousreply 712/22/2012

The US polling of Oscar experts don't even have the film making the top 10 Best Films at the Oscars, and Riva in about 6th place for nominations.

It's shocking. It's an amazing film, Haneke's best film, I think, and Trintignant and Riva are absolutely worthy of recognition. I have heard great things about Daniel Day Lewis, but his film is not out here yet (in Sweden).

by Anonymousreply 812/22/2012

[quote] The US polling of Oscar experts don't even have the film making the top 10 Best Films at the Oscars, and Riva in about 6th place for nominations. It's shocking.

It's not shocking at all. The film just opened yesterday in the U.S., and in limited release, so other than critics I would guess about 4 or 5 Americans have seen it so far.

by Anonymousreply 912/22/2012

Eddie Redmayne should still be in actor's jail for that smiley, uninteresting turn in My Week With Marilyn.

by Anonymousreply 1012/22/2012

Haneke is a hack.

by Anonymousreply 1112/22/2012

I'm taking the Oscar pundits with a grain of salt this year. They totally missed out on Rachel Weisz, who won Best Actress from the NY Film Critics, was nominated by the Golden Globes and has apparently been quite active in campaigning in L.A. The pundits still list her as a longshot, but I think she (and Riva and Naomi Watts) are far more likely than that child from Beasts of the Southern Wild -- I'm sorry, but in the real world, the Academy would be a laughing stock if they nominated the little girl instead of Weisz, Riva or Watts -- and the Academy voters know it.

by Anonymousreply 1212/22/2012

No one in the Academy gives a shit about old, French surrender monkey actor nobodies.

by Anonymousreply 1312/22/2012

Most American oscar experts have Riva nominated, Amour making the best picture list if there are ten (and there likely will be), Haneke is a little iffier but I think the Director's wing will come through for him.

It is really a shame about Trintignant as it looks like it will be a surprise nomination if he makes the five. One of the great actors of our time.

See Awards Circuit.

by Anonymousreply 1512/22/2012

Viva Riva!

by Anonymousreply 1612/22/2012

r14, I think he is wrong, but the prejudice is clearly age-related not racial.

by Anonymousreply 1712/22/2012

The fact that Riva, Weisz, Wallis, Watts and Mirren are not necessarily in gives the lie to this not being a hot oscar race for the leading women.

Chastain, Lawrence and Cotillard seem the locks right now.

by Anonymousreply 1812/22/2012

[quote]Wallis deserves every Best Actress honor this year

Btw, R14, I ff'd you for being a huge, angry racist!

by Anonymousreply 1912/22/2012

Watts was fabulous in The Impossible and is overdue for recognition. Am hopeful for at least a nom for her.

by Anonymousreply 2012/22/2012

[quote]and is overdue for recognition.

No she's not. Watts has always been overrated and I can't imagine that the turn she does in this disaster movie is really anything that special or award worthy. She must have gotten a better publicist.

by Anonymousreply 2112/22/2012

r14, it has nothing whatsoever to do with race. It's simply not a great performance, an ok performance by a 6 year old, one that any other 6 year old could give, but you're deluded if you think it has the emotional richness and depth of Weisz, Riva or Watts.

by Anonymousreply 2212/22/2012

In a fair world, Amour would at least get nominations for best picture (not just foreign language, which it will undoubtedly win) and best director. It's certainly better than the likes of Argo (mediocre) and Les Miz (ghastly).

by Anonymousreply 2312/22/2012

Day-Lewis has a lock on Best Actor. It's already a performance that people will talk about for years to come: like Streep in SOPHIE'S CHOICE or De Niro in RAGING BULL. Trintignant and jackman may be nominated (and I hope that so will Joaquin Phoenix), but Day-Lewis will walk away with the actual prize.

Riva could sneak in and win for Best Actress since her greatest competition right now seems to be Jennifer Lawrence for SILVER LININGS PLAYBOOK, a film that didn't generate huge excitement.

by Anonymousreply 2512/22/2012

I think Riva or Cotillard for actress. For actor the LA Weekly is making a case for Denis Levant of Holy Moters and The Master is getting major buzz as it's on a lot of critic's best of 2012 list as is Phoenix so he's more than in the game if the Academy doesn't hate him too much. But the Academy awards are dodgy so it could be anything.

by Anonymousreply 2612/22/2012

It would be great if Riva won, r25. It truly is the female performance of the year. So much depth and soul to it..

But I do think they could give it to Watts, as a surprise win.

She's a very capable actress, and Hollywood clearly loves her.

by Anonymousreply 2712/22/2012

[quote]I think ... Cotillard for actress.

You mean because she was robbed of the Oscar for "Nine," don't you, Marion Cotillard Troll?

by Anonymousreply 2812/22/2012

I would love if they nominated Denis Lavant!!

Two French actors in each major acting category, and the xenophobes' heads will explode!

by Anonymousreply 2912/22/2012

I agree with the Streep Troll that the nominations will probably play out the way he has them. However, this is Hollywood, and so you never know. Better Chastain than Mirren. In fact, I am willing to predict that the Hitchcock film will become a camp classic in years to come. Silly beyond belief, but a real guilty pleasure.

Streep Troll: Do not rule out Hopkins getting nominated. It's a long shot, but it could happen.

by Anonymousreply 3012/22/2012

With Jackman and Phoenix in the running this might be a jubilee year for overacting. Both are first rate actors but their work in Les Mis and The Master is a master class in actor-y over-indulgence. Which is why I'm hoping the Academy will ultimately honor another performance. Day-Lewis is superb in Lincoln and is the most deserving record third best actor win imaginable.

Trintignant is one of the great actors of our time. The Conformist alone is a tremendous achievement (as Hiroshima Mon Amour alone is enough to enshrine Riva). It is wonderful that Riva will likely be honored with an oscar nomination but I fear Trintignant will be left out. Still, the Academy might surprise us.

And tired of the Wallis undermining.

She is unforgettable in Beasts. Anyone dismissing her performance as merely that of a child is engaging in rhetoric I don't agree with. As if her age makes it less of a success? To the contrary. For a five year old to carry a poetic dream of a movie, let alone to do so beautifully, is a singular accomplishment. And the climax of the film, SPOILER ALERT?? - her confrontation with the auric, might likely prove a classic moment in world cinema. The idea that she is just being a child, just being herself, is a poor argument against her. For one thing how do you know who Wallis is to conclude she is just being herself? For another, playing oneself is neither easy nor an incidence of non-acting, particularly when one is playing oneself in situations one has never encountered. And what human being, let alone a five year old, has ever done the magic-realist things Hush Puppy does in Beasts? Wallis's grace in convincingly inhabiting these moments would be a major achievement for an actor of any age.

Additonally, will AMPAS be able to resist the pure schmaltz of at one stroke nominating the oldest (Riva) and youngest (Wallis) women ever for best actress?

by Anonymousreply 3112/23/2012

It will ultimately come down to Streisand vs. Midler. Guilt Trip & Parental Guidance are awful, awful films and the Academy will feel the need to honor them both with nominations and one with a win on what will be both gals last films EVER.

by Anonymousreply 3212/23/2012

R5, you can wait to see Amour. It is terribly over-rated.

by Anonymousreply 3312/23/2012

r31, she was being herself. The writer-director admitted that he rewrote the script to fit her personality after meeting her in the auditions. Wallis is playing Wallis, doing what 6 year olds do all the time, pretending with imagination, and if you interacted with children you would know that.

And the acclaim for this film is ridiculous. It is the epitome of pretentious indie filmmaking: atrociously filmed in the dreaded hand-held camera style (and the camera operator was apparently drunk throughout production), a silly, obvious script populated by types rather than genuine human beings, written by a pseudo-intellectual hipster who is basically metaphorically jacking off on digital video for 90 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3412/23/2012

"Wallis is playing Wallis, doing what 6 year olds do all the time"

Directors and writers often recreate scripts for their stars, so this is nothing unusual, nor does it mean "she is playing herself". Please explain "doing what 6 year olds do all the time"?

Just how many six year olds (actually she was five I believe) see their fathers through terminal illnesses, live in their own houses, burn them down, muse poetically over their parents' sexual energy, climatological threats and the social fears and imperatives of their isolated communities, and catch fish with their bare hands, go on epic maritime journeys for their mothers, and tame prehistoric carnivores through sheer will?

Chances are if you find one, she will not be a child actress (this is not Wallis's second film appearance, not her first).

But nice try to diminish her work. Hope you are pleased with yourself.

by Anonymousreply 3612/23/2012

Wow, r36, you are too invested in this dreadful film. You really need to get out more and see better films.

by Anonymousreply 3712/23/2012

Lawrence, Chastain, Watts, Cotillard, and Wallis is my bet for who will actually be nominated, not who I think should be. Sorry, Riva, but I think you'll end up in sixth in front of Weisz and Mirren.

Trintignant for Best Actor is even less likely. Probably will be Day-Lewis, Hawkes, Cooper, Jackman, and Washington. He'd have to over take one of them AND Phoenix to get in, and possibly even Foxx and Gere could end up in front of him.

by Anonymousreply 3812/23/2012

I'm not too invested in this film which is not dreadful. It's an imperfect, fascinating movie in a year in which the best movies were imperfect.

Moreover, if she's not nominated I wouldn't be outraged, the fact is that there are several excellent other performances by leading actresses, as I've mentioned.

My point is simply this: to devalue her acting in the film because of her infancy is totally unpersuasive.

Oh, did I forget to mention that Wallis also blows up a levee? Not your usual occupation for a five year old either.

by Anonymousreply 3912/23/2012

There isn't a lot of love for Beasts as a film and that could hurt Wallis. OTOH Riva and Chastain could be carried by the fact that their films are peaking in interest at just the right time. Mirren won't be nominated. Naomi Watts' chances depend on how many people see the film and the campaigning.

by Anonymousreply 4012/23/2012

Doubt Mirren will be nominated as well. That doesn't change the fact that she's quite wonderful in the movie. Both leading races have many contenders.

by Anonymousreply 4112/23/2012

r39, my 7 year old nephew likes to pretend that he causes trains to derail. Your point is invalid.

Wallis has not been nominated by either SAG (she was ineligible) or the Golden Globes. Aside from deluded fanboys, she has no support. Can you imagine a pluralty of Academy voters putting her at #1 or #2 on their ballots above Riva, Watts, Weisz, Lawrence, Chastain, Mirren, Cotillard or even Michelle Williams? I'm sorry, I just don't see that happening.

by Anonymousreply 4212/23/2012

r42, your nephew is a budding sociopath. Be careful.

by Anonymousreply 4312/23/2012

r43, no he's not. When I was his age, I pretended I was trying to escape the Poseidon. He's probably just gay.

by Anonymousreply 4412/23/2012

R38 Amour and Holy Motors are high on critics best of year list, so is the Master. Don't bet that Trintignant and Levant won't be there and certainly Phoenix much more than Hawks and Jackman whose film is regarded mainly as junk food, like the senior citizen's version of Twilight. More fan base than artistic merit.

by Anonymousreply 4512/23/2012

So I guess it's unanimous, then. The Best Actress winner will be Julia Roberts for Mirror, Mirror.

by Anonymousreply 4612/23/2012

Meryl Christmas, everybody!

by Anonymousreply 4712/25/2012

Cotillard 'robbed' Julie Christie of her 2nd oscar win for Away From Her which would have been 40 years after her first win, no doubt she Cotillard will be nominated again this year as she is clearly widely admired, they will hardly include a second French actress in the nominations so Riva may lose out.

by Anonymousreply 4812/26/2012

Christie wss thrilled when Cotillard won. She deserved it...

by Anonymousreply 4912/26/2012

Poor Streep Turd (tm) couldn't even think up "Meryl Christmas" on his own. Another poster who pitied him gave it to him.

by Anonymousreply 5012/26/2012

Streep Troll is full of shit as always. Watts will be nominated, but that's it. Most of the reviews are pointing to the older son as the real star of "The Impossible."

It's going to be between Chastain and Lawrence - and after last year's old lady fest for the Oscars, it will be refreshing to see someone under 40 win. Riva could be a spoiler, if the Academy can get over QTipshennay Wallis and give Riva the last slot.

by Anonymousreply 5112/26/2012

To fight over whether Cotillard or Christie deserved that oscar is like fighting over whether Beethoven is a better composer than Mozart. Two first rate performances by great actresses (who also happen to be true movie stars in their ability to own the screen), revealing how "the best" at the oscars can sometimes be a complete joke.

by Anonymousreply 5212/26/2012

All children play act. Some enact wild fantasies when they do. That doesn't mean they could do it passably, let alone well, on screen (newsflash: there have actually been unimpressive, cloying and or overdone performances by children in the movies), that they have actual talent for performing, or that they can carry a movie.

Wallis may not get a nomination, and, with the competition she is facing, her not getting one would not be surprising or at all dismissive of her work. Many great performances in the history of the movies have - for good, bad and indifferent reasons - not been nominated for an oscar.

Still, her performance in Beasts of the Southern Wild is a very fine one worthy of awards consideration.

by Anonymousreply 5312/26/2012

R26 is totally right: Julie Christie was really happy for Marion Cotillard when the latter won her Oscar. She didn't give a shit about winning.

by Anonymousreply 5412/26/2012

Who should win: Riva and Day-Lewis

Who will win: Chastain and Day-Lewis

Who should have been nominated but wasn't: Trintignant. His absence from the awards seasons blitz is inexplicable.

by Anonymousreply 5501/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!