Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

9 to 5...the sitcom (1982-88)

I only ever saw a couple of shows, but what I saw seemed quite funny.

Something reminded me of it.

Anyone else remember it?

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2012

Vaguely. I had no idea it was on the air that long.

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

Why did I think Sally Struthers was in it? Rachel Dennison is Dolly Parton's sister, btw. Poor Rita Moreno...she never had much luck with TV series work.

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

I had no idea it had Jean Marsh on it (Rose from Upstairs Downstairs).

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

Gee...I don't think I've ever seen an old TV sitcom get so little response.

Maybe it's just totally unmemorable.

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

I remember it, it had the same background as Mama's Family. First a failed network sitcom, and then reworked for syndication. It showed on Sunday afternoons with Mama's Family. I liked it, the Struthers syndicated era, maybe it wasn't brilliant but it was watchable. I don't think it was ever seen again after its original syndicated run.

by Anonymousreply 511/18/2012

IMDB shows that as the one and only credit for Dolly's sister Rachel Dennison, and she doesn't even have an entry on Wikipedia. She recorded one album and then vanished.

I Googled her and found an old People magazine article in which she described herself as very religious and said she preferred life in the country.

Here's the opener for the later seasons, which was shot on videotape and looks like it cost $1.98.

by Anonymousreply 611/18/2012

That isn't the later seasons, since Moreno is still starring. Sally Struthers took over her role and I think ended up starring in more seasons than Moreno. And Struthers' seasons were better. I like Rita, but she was miscast. Dolly's sister was a clone who looked and acted practically exactly like her.

by Anonymousreply 711/18/2012

This turned up after R6's link... out-takes from the movie...funny.

by Anonymousreply 811/18/2012

Not nearly as hysterical as when 'Private Benjamin' went to series.

by Anonymousreply 911/18/2012

How chubby was Sally in the show?

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

Probably a bit r10, but I don't think she was outright fat yet.

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

The show jumped the shark when it switched to that cheap looking video. As I recall, at that same time they moved the characters from a high rise urban office to a suburban industrial park setting and introduced Violet's son as a character. The whole thing started to look very cheap. It wasn't that bad it's first season, I thought the ensemble worked well together. Switching it to that harshly lit video setup really ruined it for me, why do they do that? How is that cheaper, isn't video video no matter how it is lit?

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

Phoebe Snow singing that theme song, right?

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

It was on for 6 years? Never heard of it.

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

it was on that long? I thought it only aired a couple of episodes and that was it. There was also a SHITFEST tv show based on A League of Their Own, but that was gone after a handful of episodes.

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

Without checking imdb, I think it was only on network tv for one or two seasons, the rest of its run was in syndication on Sunday afternoons. And there may have been a year or two between the network run and the start of the syndication run. So maybe its run spanned 6 years, but a few years it wasn't airing at all. That was the case with Mama's Family, after it failed on NBC, it was 2 yrs before its syndication run started.

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012

I have only vague memories of this show but I do remember being very turned on by Edward Winter when he was on this show for a few episodes. I think he played Valerie Curtin's boss.

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

I remember wanting to like this show because I loved the movie but Rita Moreno (and Sally Struthers - shudder!) couldn't fill Lily Tomlin's shoes. I do recall thinking Valerie Curtin was funny and liking her version of Jane Fonda's character better than the movie.

I associate this show with "It's/Making A Living" which ran in syndication around the same time and also started as a network series.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

This is interesting:-

[quote]In 1982, Curtin was given the role of Judy Bernly in the television sitcom 9 to 5 based on the 1980 movie of the same name. Her TV role was portrayed by Jane Fonda in the movie version. Curtin was dropped from the show after two seasons, when James Komack came on as the new executive producer, replacing the team led by Jane Fonda. However, Curtin would return for a syndicated version of 9 to 5 (1986–1988), reprising her earlier role; the new version was successful.

So, it was the later version that was succesful.

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

Told ya the Struthers syndicated era was better...

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

This material didn't reach its full nadir until they turned it into a musical.

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

I smoke pot and do M&Ms!

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

I met Rachel Dennison while working at a veterinarian office in Brentwood,TN. I was struck by how much she resembled Dolly. She was very sweet and seemed a little bit melancholy.

Crystal Gayle was also very personable.

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

Didn't the TV show make Roz a man?

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

I usually have a mind like a steel trap for 80s sitcoms, but have very few memories of this one. I do remember Rachel though, and how she was Dolly's cousin in real life.

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

Sister, not cousin.

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

I remember watching the version with Sally Struthers on TBS when I was a kid. At the time, I thought the opening credits with the big clock (which I can't seem to find on YouTube) was really, really cool.

Another 80s show I remember watching that is all but forgotten: Rocky Road. It was about a woman who ran an ice cream parlor on the beach, while raising her two younger orphaned siblings.

by Anonymousreply 2712/28/2012

Valarie Curtain is Jane Curtain's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 2812/29/2012

Yes r28, Valerie is the product of a torrid affair Jane had with Levolor blinds.

by Anonymousreply 2912/29/2012

Actually Valerie and Jane are cousins.

by Anonymousreply 3012/29/2012

When I was a kid I loved It's A Living with Ann Jillian, Nancy Sullivan and that chick who played Dot who I don't think I ever saw again and their snarky boss was that lady who died and met Howie Mandel in heaven after he got shot on Saint Elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3112/29/2012

If you're clever, R31, you'll find a thread on that topic.

by Anonymousreply 3212/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.