Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The terms "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" and implied meaning.

Okay, I was talking to my 81-year old father about my nephew/his grandson, and he said "his boyfriend" referring to my nephew's male friend. So I asked my dad if he knew something I didn't and he had no idea what I was talking about. It turns out he just meant his buddy.

Now, if he had said that about my niece and used the term "girlfriend" I would've thought nothing of it, but because he used the term, "boyfriend" about a strictly platonic buddy, it threw me.

When did the term "boyfriend" start to imply other than platonic friendship, whether it be between m/f or m/m?

Again, it doesn't apply to "girlfriend". I hear girls say "my girlfriend" all the time when referring to platonic friend, although, I believe as time goes on, the term is also gaining the implied meaning of something more.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

People should just cut to the point and say the words "I am a homosexual". It makes things so much easier.

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

Your nephew should just come out.

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

Your grandfather needs to stop covering for your nephew and just let him come out.

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

[quote]strictly platonic

Is this a more severe form of a non-sexual relationship?

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

You think, R3?

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

The terms "boyfriend" and "girlfriend" have diverse meanings depending on who is talking. Some still use it to imply platonic friends, others avoid it because it implies expectations or "ownership."

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!