Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Days of Wine and Roses 1962 flick

I'm watching now. A really fine film. Any thoughts out there?

by Anonymousreply 3611/19/2012

Other great drunk flicks?

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

The soundtrack of this movie is also great.

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

'The Lost Weekend' with Ray Milland and Jane Wyman. A Billy Wilder film. It's a must!

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

Any thoughts in [italic] HERE?!?!? [/italic] on [italic] DL?!?!? [/italic]

[italic] OH MY SIDES!!! [/italic]

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick give great performances in that film. It's based on a book, right? I think they took things as far as they could if you consider the era.

I love the scene where they hit rock bottom and are staying at the house of Lee Remick's father (a florist of some sort) somewhere in the countryside. Jack Lemmon hides some liquor in the greenhouse like as a security blanket or something and when he falls off the wagon he tears that greenhouse apart looking for it. His acting in that scene is very well balanced and I would assume they had to do it in one take because he tore that set apart! Man!

Lee Remick has a great scene where she stays with her father instead of moving back to the city with Jack Lemmon and their child. She just decides to whore it up but it is only heavily alluded to because of the era. The scene is where she goes missing and her dad calls Jack Lemmon. They hunt around for her and start calling motels. Jack Lemmon finds her three sheets to the wind in a trashed out motel and Lee Remick just goes there in terms of alluding to how she is now a drunken whore. She goes as far as she can with her body language and a really nuanced performance in that scene because that era would never have allowed a lady to just straight up say; "I'm a drunken whore now, darlin'."

I just love those more like classic movies which took things just as far as the censors would fucking well let them. Love them. They're just so creative oftentimes. Oh. And, Lee Remick was gorgeous! My goodness, the film is in black and white and yet those beautiful blue eyes she had just somehow pop. Beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 511/18/2012

Lee Remick was indeed gorgeous. I also liked her a lot in 'Experiment in Terror' with Glenn Ford and Stephanie Powers. A great film that was directed by Blake Edwards (the famous director of 'Breakfast at Tiffany's')

by Anonymousreply 611/18/2012

The flashing BAR sign at the end of the film, reflecting off Remick's face is devastating.

by Anonymousreply 711/18/2012

When Blake Edwards was on his game, he directed some very good films.

by Anonymousreply 811/18/2012

My father loved Lee Remick. He was devastated when she died far too young.

by Anonymousreply 911/18/2012

Loved the film and glad it avoided the standard hollywood happy ending. Jack and lee deserved their oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

A more recent movie that is a drink flick is 'Crazy Heart' with Jeff Bridges. I recommend it and i assure you that in this one you won't feel devastated R7. I don't reveal the end by saying that...because in this movie something terrible happens too!

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

Lemmon and Remick are wonderful.

see also: Susan Hayward in I'll Cry Tomorrow Joan Allen in The Upside of Anger Albert Finney in Under the Volcano Taylor, Burton, Dennis and Segal in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year Maureen O'Sullivan in Hannah and her Sisters James Mason in A Star is Born Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

Yes R9. Beautiful Remick passed away relatively young. At least she shined in many movies and there are still people who appreciate her as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

Love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

Lee was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

Don't I know it, r15.

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

[quote]I also liked her a lot in 'Experiment in Terror' with Glenn Ford and Stephanie Powers.

The opening scene of this movie with her in the garage is so creepy. Ross Martin was very good as the villain.

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

'Experiment in Terror' has also a great soundtrack and as in 'Days of Wine and Roses', its composer is the magnificent Henry Mancini

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012

I would also say that A Face in the Crowd with Andy Griffith is wonderful too. I believe Lee Remick made her screen debut in Face.

by Anonymousreply 1911/18/2012

SMASH-UP: THE STORY OF A WOMAN has not aged well. But Susan Hayward rises above the material and there is a juicy drunken catfight between her and Marsha Hunt. @ 1:09:45

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

Vitameatavegamin.

Funniest drunk scene in the history of televion.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

I've been sober for 15 years & I still can't watch it.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

R22, you don't have to watch it if it hurts you sugar. :)

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

I love this film and first saw it when I was 16 and I simply adored Lee Remick. 1962 was a great year for best actresses but Lee should have won, she perfectly captures the arc of her character's descent into alcoholism which she can't kick at the end. Great song too.

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

'Wine into Water'

I'm not religious but i believe in this song.

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

Did anyone win any awards for this movie

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

I would consider "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" a film where drinking is central to the story. I loved it when I saw it for the first time earlier this year. "Come Back Little Sheba", on the other hand, is just plain grim.

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

I'd love to see Come Back Little Sheba" again. I remember Shirley Booth sort of broke my heart. Days of Wine and Roses is great too. Dated yes, but still powerful. Alcoholism is one of the real scourges of life.

by Anonymousreply 2811/19/2012

Great movie, great performances. Jack Lemmon was such a good actor; he could do both drama and comedy brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 2911/19/2012

Great film, superb acting. I see a lot of that mileau in Mad Men, being the early 60's timeframe and the three-martini lunch. Great soundtrack.

by Anonymousreply 3011/19/2012

Actually r5 I recall seeing an interview once with Jack Lemmon and he said that the greenhouse scene had to be done twice as the director sort of apologetically said the first take just didn't have what he was looking for so Jack Lemmon had to do all that going nuts scene all over again--he did say that fortunately it was right the second time.

by Anonymousreply 3111/19/2012

"The Days of Wine and Roses" was originally a "Playhouse 90" drama starring Cliff Robertson and Piper Laurie. It's available on DVD, and it's interesting that Kirsten already has a problem with booze when she meets Joe--it's what brings them together.

I never liked Robertson, but Piper Laurie gives a tremendous performance. It's fascinating to compare the two versions, because Lee Remick is equally good, but entirely different. Laurie is earthier, but Remick has the advantage of being able to show Kristen's slide into alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 3211/19/2012

Lemmon's performance in that movie put me off being a career actor. I just couldn't see myself giving that calibre of work and committment. He was marvelous!

by Anonymousreply 3311/19/2012

Good film - a little long winded. Lemmon had moments of brilliance and hammy-ness. It's such a fine line between the two.

Remick is heartbreaking in the motel scene.

by Anonymousreply 3411/19/2012

When I was in high school on a trip to NY, I saw Lee Remick in WAIT UNTIL DARK. What a beautiful actress.... and yes, she was superb in DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES

by Anonymousreply 3511/19/2012

I'm not even an alcoholic and it's hard to watch but it is a great film with two great actors.

by Anonymousreply 3611/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.