Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Red meat is deadly; bacon--fuhgeddaboudit

Risks: More Red Meat, More Mortality

Eating red meat is associated with a sharply increased risk of death from cancer and heart disease, according to a new study, and the more of it you eat, the greater the risk.

The analysis, published online Monday in Archives of Internal Medicine, used data from two studies that involved 121,342 men and women who filled out questionnaires about health and diet from 1980 through 2006. There were 23,926 deaths in the group, including 5,910 from cardiovascular disease and 9,464 from cancer.

People who ate more red meat were less physically active and more likely to smoke and had a higher body mass index, researchers found. Still, after controlling for those and other variables, they found that each daily increase of three ounces of red meat was associated with a 12 percent greater risk of dying over all, including a 16 percent greater risk of cardiovascular death and a 10 percent greater risk of cancer death.

The increased risks linked to processed meat, like bacon, were even greater: 20 percent over all, 21 percent for cardiovascular disease and 16 percent for cancer.

If people in the study had eaten half as much meat, the researchers estimated, deaths in the group would have declined 9.3 percent in men and 7.6 percent in women.

Previous studies have linked red meat consumption and mortality, but the new results suggest a surprisingly strong link.

“When you have these numbers in front of you, it’s pretty staggering,” said the study’s lead author, Dr. Frank B. Hu, a professor of medicine at Harvard.

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2012

So skip on eating the red meat and turn it into fertilizer for fresh vegetables or animal feed, but the leather is a good, durable and renewable resource.

Raise animals primarily for their leather. Eat fish and vegetable protein. Live longer.

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

I wish somebody would eat the vegetarian troll.

With some fava beans and a nice Chianti.

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

The only meat we eat, for the most part, is sizemeat.

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

Eat what you like that tastes good and makes you happy.

Not everyone wants to (1) have a gym body, or (2) live forever.

NO ONE gets out of here alive, some sooner than later.

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

Animals are a renewable resource of raw materials.

Plastic is a byproduct of limited oil reserves.

We need to get off the oil and on to 100% returnables, which includes farming even more animals.

by Anonymousreply 511/18/2012

This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, any nutritionist should tell you to limit the amount of red meat you eat and try to eliminate process meats.

Eat more fish.

by Anonymousreply 611/18/2012

Et more fish.

by Anonymousreply 711/18/2012

What makes you think I don't eat red meat? Should meat eaters suppress stories like this?

by Anonymousreply 811/18/2012

[quote]"Eat more fish."

Why don't you eat your mamma's cunt?

by Anonymousreply 911/18/2012

Vegetarians die just like everybody else. In fact, most of the vegetarians I see all look rather unhealthy.

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

So ridiculous. Of course people shouldn't eat tons of meat. How is this news? Does the study even make a distinction between grass-fed and corn-fed beef?

This study reminds me of the dumb one about organic produce not being "more nutritional" than non-organic...because we didn't already know that. They acted like that was the reason people buy organic produce.

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

R8, I was unaware that not posting every story I read is suppressing the content.

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

The point of the study is not to answer a binary question "Is red meat good or bad?" The point is to quantify the degree of danger.

Of course everybody dies. Most of us care whether it happens at 70 or 80 and are concerned with our health during those years.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

R12-criticizing me for posting it IS suppression. Your assumption that I post every article I see on the subject is baseless and self-serving.

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

""Most of us care whether it happens at 70 or 80 and are concerned with our health during those years. ""

There is no definitive proof that following dietary fads, whims, wives tales will prolong life, you idiotic boob!

All things in moderation is truly the best advice.

One can eat just the same as you R13 and develop a chronic, degenerative, and painful disease. Truth.

No guarantees for anything!

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

Aside from fish and poultry, a very good alternative to red meat would be mushrooms. There are a multitude of varieties which can be grilled, sauteed, fried, baked, stuffed, etc. Season them the way you would doll up a steak or pork chop and believe me, they satisfy the red meat craving. High in protein, low in fat and easier to digest. I eat them at least twice a week. .. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

R16, mushrooms are vile and disgusting. They taste like dirt (at best). Ugh.

I have no idea why anyone would eat the damn things... they're grown in the dark on piles of shit. They reek of death and decay. They ruin any food they come in contact with.

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

I tried a paleo diet. The immediate result: yellow eyes, gallstones.

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012

Without making a distinction between natural grass fed meat and hormone laden grocery store meat this study is useless.

by Anonymousreply 1911/18/2012

Eat in moderation and diversify your food menue. The body can only function when we provide it with all the minerals and vitamins it needs. Malnutrition that keeps going on for weeks, months, even years only leads to detrimental health issues including cancer. One or two days per week eating red meat won't hurt you one bit when you can balance it with vegetarian, fish, or white meat dishes for the rest of the week.

Of course it helps a lot when you are rich enough and therefore able to buy good quality produce.

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

The usual ridiculous scare-mongering from the press. Obviously no one should eat red meat every day, but a couple of times a week won't hurt you. What the hell do people think our hunter/gatherer ancestors ate before there was farming? Fossil evidence indicates the hunter/gatherers were much healthier than the farmers who came after them.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

Individuals who eat a can of frosting every day are less healthy and live shorter lives.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

Oh, sure. What next? Are you going to tell me that vegetables like potatoes are bad for my family? What will Alice cook for us? I've got growing kids!

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

In unrelated news, the Jack-In-The-Box "Loaded Breakfast Sandwich" is fucking awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2012

Linda McCartney never ate any meat and she lived to the ripe old age of 56.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2012

[quote]There is no definitive proof that following dietary fads, whims, wives tales will prolong life, you idiotic boob!

This is a study that offers the definitive proof. It is not a fad, whim, or old wives tale. It is science.

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2012

I agree with R17. I've been a vegetarian for almost 30 years and loathe mushrooms. A lot of vegetarians I know are the same but meat eaters always assume we love to eat food that grew on shit. Don't get me started on aubergine.

Rather than the study the OP linked to I want to know about all these sex crimes meat eaters commit.

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2012

Once people find out I've cut way back on my meat intake they always ask if I eat tofu.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

I think people eat too much meat, but I also think we eat too much of everything here in the USA. Portion control. Of course the other problem we have is genetically modified, chemical laced steriod and antibiotic loaded "meat." Processed meats like bacon are also lowaded with nitrites and nitrates. These are know carcinogens and they exist in ham, bacon, hotdogs and anything that is processed including lunchmeat.

If you can find grass fed beef, non- nitrites/nitrate no additives foods, etc. and eat less of them you should be find. And exercise!!! Everything gets better with exercise. people who eat chicken or fish have to cope with the same stuff.

If you eat fish you have to worry abut where it comes from. Farm raised in Chile is very bad. But you don't want Gulf seafood ot stuff from the Radiation poisoned Pacific either. So right now, the North Atlantic is best for wild caught anything and if you buy farm raised make sure you know from where.

There is a ton of information on the internet. You should try it!I go to one of those expensive gourmet markets and buy Frank's all beef hotdogs. They are pure and they are good. Gluten free too. I get the best bacon in the world at Costco. Coleman's. No nitrites/ nitrates.

I buy fresh fish at Whole Foods and I get my lunchmeat at the same market I get my hotdogs. Just eat more veggies and exercise. Drink a lot of water too. And watch what you shove in your mouth.Try to limit your red meat to not more than a pound a week. Or less. Four ounces three times a week won't kill you. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2012

Why is OP starting a thread about an article from March 12th?

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

The average life expectancy in Germany, where processed meats such as sausage and bacon are king, is 79.4. Japan with the highest life expectancy is only 82.7. So, basically give up foods that you love and live another 3 years? Uh no. Personally, I'd rather eat bacon and die at 65.

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

Japan people eat mostly beef sunshine. It's a myth they eat all that fish. It's only like 3% of their diet.

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

[quote]Why is OP starting a thread about an article from March 12th?

Didn't notice the date. The article is second on the New York Times' current most-e-mailed list.

by Anonymousreply 3311/20/2012

I try to keep my red meat intake to twice a month, save for the occasional meatball. I think that's supposed to be acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 3411/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!