Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Patti Smith officiates at the wedding of Edward Mapplethorpe

Oh, MY. There are so many gems in here.

But the evening ended without an exchange of numbers, partly because Mr. Mapplethorpe, a younger brother of the photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, was in a long-distance relationship with a beauty queen — Miss Malaysia 1997.

He mentioned that he’d been coveting something else of Asian origin: a Noguchi coffee table. She asked if she could buy him the table in exchange for the stingray image.

He also had gone through several name changes: First he was Eddie, then Ed, then Edward. At his brother’s request, he changed his last name to Maxey. “Robert told me he wasn’t going to have any kid brother of his riding on his coattails,” Mr. Mapplethorpe.

Mr. Mapplethorpe spent the next year trying, and struggling, to break up his relationship with Miss Malaysia so he could devote himself to Ms. Yun.

He spent most of his early adulthood in turmoil in Manhattan. In the previous decade, he’d lost two brothers, including Robert, and his mother. He moved to Los Angeles, where he saw the dawn and dusk of a heroin habit. (“I was taking care of a girlfriend who had a real drug problem, and then I realized I had a one myself,” he said.) He dated a dominatrix. “Robert introduced us, saying to me, ‘If I were straight, I’d be with her.’ ” In 1993, she died of cancer.

Up until that point, Ms. Yun, the eldest daughter of Chinese immigrants, had led a life that was mostly about gymnastics and dance classes, boarding school and liberal arts college. She’d lived in four countries, studied both French and Chinese, and played the piano, viola, violin and French horn.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 1111/20/2012

I wonder if she and the bro fucked as well.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 111/18/2012

I read Patti Smith's book. What monsters she and Robert Mapplethorpe were. Fucked up monsters, and she still is too full of herself to see how tediously they behaved.

So Robert insisted that Edward go by Maxey instead of Mapplethorpe because no one else could use the Mapplethorpe name? Narcissistic monster.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 211/18/2012

Me rikey rong time. And rong distance.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 311/18/2012

She went to Mount Holyoke.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 411/18/2012

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 511/18/2012

I want a Noguchi coffee table. I used to have a group of Noguchi paper lamps. They came apart after being assembled and broken down with each move.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 611/18/2012

Robert M. strikes me as a horrid person. He made his own brother change his last name???

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 711/19/2012

Look at ME! Look at ME! Look at ME!

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 811/19/2012

That article was just full of clangers. It was so depressing.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 911/20/2012

Did anyone else laugh at "working on a portrait series of Asian women in turtlenecks"?

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 1011/20/2012

It's conceptual, R10. I wouldn't expect a bourgeois layperson to understand my art.

by Tom Verlaine's skinny jeansreply 1111/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!