Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

People who talk about their death all the time

How do you deal with it? I swear my grandmother has been talking about her upcoming death my whole life. It sort of causes me anxiety. She's been asking what we'll do with her stuff when she dies for at least 33 years (maybe more)

by Anonymousreply 1711/19/2012

PS....I feel like Katharine Hepburn in On Golden Pond...."Norman you've bee talking about your death ever since I met you...."

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

Remind Granny that actions speak louder than words.

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

My brother's wife had a younger brother. He was 29.

He died in a freak accident, where he fell backwards and hit his head. Died instantly.

He was a fantastic guy. Well liked, funny as hell, outgoing, friendly, full of life, super nice, handsome. He had it all.

She told me how she and my brother had to go through his things, because her parents couldn't.

All of his belongings, his personal things, his life. All gone. He doesn't exist anymore. Just non-existent.

This is death. Cold, surprising, and lurking. Once we're gone, we're gone. Everything we held dear, our material things, our important things, our worries, our cares, our achievements. All gone.

Such is life. Death is final. Our existence is fleeting. We become just a memory.

People who talk about it all the time, don't really think about it. There is a finality to death, that people never think about.

And no matter your age, your race, your religion, what you look like, or anything else. When you're gone - you're gone.

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

Quite the contrary r3. I think many people who talk about death all the time are trying to come to terms with the finality and the void.

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

What if they are mostly concerned with "their stuff" though.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

Death obsession is also associated w/ depression.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

The soul goes on, R3. It gets reincarnated. It's what I believe, and you can't prove me wrong.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

You can't take it with you.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

I knew someone who used to talk about his death all the time. Then he died.

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

My grandmother was like that too, OP. In addition, she tried to make everything a lesson to us about how short life is. Fucking tiresome. I learned to tune it out.

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

r3 thinks he's pontificating to children or something...This is an adult website. You're not telling us something we already don't know. His meds need tweaking.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

[quote]The soul goes on, [R3]. It gets reincarnated. It's what I believe, and you can't prove me wrong.

The point is that you give no evidence to support your theory, therefore there is nothing to disprove. You may as well say that you 'believe' coffee grounds turn into angels because no one can prove you wrong. Proof and belief really don't bear any relationship.

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

Heads up! What these people who obsess on this are really trying to do is make you believe they have more than they have so you won't shove them off into some nursing home and forget about them. If they make you believe their estate holds value, you'll opt to protect that estate by keeping them close to you so a nursing home won't get it. Some of them use this to control their benefactors. A dirty little secret.

The truth is, to them their estate has value but in today's economy, their holdings don't add up to much. This is a favorite of those cheapsters who've never updated their homes in the last twenty years. They think because their neighbor's homes sold for a high price, that they'd get the same for their homes if they sold them. Without putting in the updates often only the land they sit on is worth anything. The ones who talk about it all of the time are usually the ones without much so take this into consideration when they attempt their games of control with their paltry worth.

by Anonymousreply 1311/19/2012

I just say I know and everyone is going to die.Love what Joan Rivers said about in the obits it says the 85 year woman died about finally!

by Anonymousreply 1411/19/2012

R9. I bet that shut him up :)

by Anonymousreply 1511/19/2012

My friend's father was always belly aching. Said stuff like "why can't I just close my eyes", etc. He ruined every family holiday with this stuff. Finally during one of his droning monologues, his adult son calmly got up and left the room. He returned and tossed a length of rope he'd gotten from the garage over the branches of the dining room light fixture. The end was fashioned into a noose. The son said why not hang yourself as we watch,if not then just SHUT THE FUCK UP.

by Anonymousreply 1611/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!