Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paris is Burning

Love, love, love this documentary.

Sad that almost everyone who participated in it died. What happened to Sol Pendavis (I think?) who talked about pulling stunts? Is he alive?

This has to be one of the best documentaries.

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012

Back in the 90s it was impossible to take a class on gender or sexuality and not see this film. I swear I must have sat through it a dozen times before graduating. I watched it last year for the first time in at least a decade and was absorbed from beginning to end. It really is a remarkable film.

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

I didn't even know what a drag queen was until I saw this.

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

I can't watch it knowing Dorian killed a trick and put his body parts in a trunk in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

The people in the movie ended up hating how they were portrayed and hating the director.

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

I love this documentary too.

We'll never know why Dorian killed Bobby Worley but he had been previously convicted of raping and assaulting a woman....

New York Magazine article:

by Anonymousreply 511/18/2012

R4 - that's definitely not true. They loved the spotlight when it came out although some of them had to deal with coming out to their families. The only issues they had were with money - all of them thought that the movie was bringing in tons of cash but they didn't really know how film distribution works.

The director all gave them some money - but they wanted a lot more and became bitter and very vocal about it.

She gave them 15 minutes of fame - they should have been happy to be associated with the film.

by Anonymousreply 611/18/2012

Bobby, that is.

by Anonymousreply 711/18/2012

Dorian's monologues are like excerpts from a one-(wo)man show I'd love to see in full. I wonder if she considered writing a memoir.

by Anonymousreply 811/18/2012

There's a good thread about this movie over at Lipstick Alley. One bit of tea I never knew before was that the late Kim Pendavis was FTM.

by Anonymousreply 911/18/2012

I remember seeing the stunt-pullin' Pendavis when NY Fox 5 was doing man-on-the-street interviews back in 2004 (?) when the FAO Schwarz toy store closed. It freaked me out, but it was good to see him snatching an extra 10 seconds of fame.

I think Willi Ninja was the only one who used the fame to get a few extra coins. He and Octavia St Lauren lived the longest. Both died around 2006.

Aside from the characters, the old New York is dead. The amazing street culture is gone. Wealth is a requirement. Some of the most memorable scenes are on the piers, down in the village, uptown near the old Elks Lodge, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

I had only seen this a few weeks before they described Mitt Romney as being "Presidential" during the debates and my first thought was "Executive Realness" and "Town and Country/You own everything". And I think Obama was throwing shade in the first debate according to this clip (skip to 30 sec)

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

I've wanted to see this again for years, but the only copy I could find to download was ridiculously low resolution. This thread made me look again for a better copy and I found one. Thanks thread!

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

R12, thank you for your election year interpretation/application.

Everyone was bemoaning Obama's 1st debate performance. But he WAS throwing shade -- too nuanced for most (unfortunately). You hit it on the head.

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

When I saw this I thought the people in it were kinda pathetic. Now that everything has been dumbed-down and homogenized I see the wit and creativity in what they were doing.

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

Come on now! It is a known fact that a woman DO carry an evening bag at dinnertime!

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

R13, R14, can you explain it to me? I guess it's too nuanced for me.

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

Loved it. And I agree, fun NYC is gone.

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012

[quote] I remember seeing the stunt-pullin' Pendavis when NY Fox 5 was doing man-on-the-street interviews back in 2004 (?) when the FAO Schwarz toy store closed. It freaked me out, but it was good to see him snatching an extra 10 seconds of fame.

I found an interview with Freddie Pendavis. Still looks good and I'm so glad he seems to be doing good (or at least was doing good in 2007).

I'm becoming obsessed with the ball culture and the movie and I'm a twenty-something lesbian from Europe! What is happening to me?

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

I swear Freddie also shows up in the crowd shots of Wigstock.

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

Drag culture is just extremely entertaining. I've loved glitter and disco music ever since I'd play Barbies all day with the girl down the street, while we listened to her sister's 45s.

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

paris is burning?... its probably the chlamydia and urinary tract infection she caught off rick salomon

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

Earlier poster here - I remember when this came out - 90/91? in NYC. The cast were overnight underworld stars.

But - I remember how fucked up many were. I remember seeing David Xtravaganza nodding off on heroin many times and Angie Xtravaganza slapping his face to keep him from going under. He eventually OD'd, if I remember correctly.

My ex-boyfriend was asked to be in the House of Xtravaganza - but he declined as the whole world was just so sad in the end.

For OP - I thought I'd throw in my experiences of that time - I met several of the people in the documentary in NYC, mainly at the club Sound Factory, where Madonna chose her dancers for her tour and "Vogue" became internationally known.

by Anonymousreply 2411/22/2012

The movie wasn't that underground though, didn't it win the Best Documentary Oscar? I'll bet it was reviewed glowingly on Siskel and Ebert too. I can't remember if I rented it or first saw it on tv (maybe A&E) though.

by Anonymousreply 2511/23/2012

"The movie wasn't that underground though, didn't it win the Best Documentary Oscar?"

It played at an arts theater in my yuppie home town, where it pulled good houses. It must have had some kind of national distrubution, it wasn't just playing a few houses in big cities.

by Anonymousreply 2611/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!