Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Would you live in the Bay Area?

Why or why not? What part would you live in?

by Anonymousreply 9302/15/2015

I love the mid-century modern, so I'd live in downtown Hayward.

by Anonymousreply 111/18/2012

I'm a 20 year old rent boy total jock 6 pac 9 uncut hairy bush hairy hole need a room please call me

by Anonymousreply 211/18/2012

I've never been to downtown Hayward. What's it like? Bustling gay scene?

by Anonymousreply 311/18/2012

If you love Asians and sweatshops, or Asians and brand name colleges, or Asians and social paranoia, you'll love the Bay Area

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

Palo Alto. Or maybe one of those small seaside towns. But San Francisco proper? No fucking way.

by Anonymousreply 511/18/2012

If I had that kind of money I'd live in Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 611/18/2012

What's the gay scene like in Silicon Valley? Is there one at all?

by Anonymousreply 711/02/2014

It's too hard to book a soccer field, so no.

by Anonymousreply 811/02/2014

R6 Amen!

by Anonymousreply 911/02/2014

Back in the bay area after years away. I already hate it. There are lines for everything, traffic sucks, horribly overcrowded. Just going to the grocery for a couple of things is a 45 minute ordeal. The sheer number of horribly driving Asians is enough to send you to the loony bin.

by Anonymousreply 1011/02/2014

Too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 1111/02/2014

by Anonymousreply 1211/02/2014

These "why or why not" threads are all started by the same vapid and vacuous fairy trying to sound like his 8th grade English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 1311/02/2014

Portola Valley, Los Altos Hills, Woodside. Some parts of Palo Alto. I like the housing areas restricted to Stanford faculty...used to play there with George Schultz's kids.

There are good reasons the titans of industry live in those areas. They're gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 1411/02/2014

Sure beats living in some right wing, flyover place.

by Anonymousreply 1511/02/2014

I would and I do. Love it. Live in SF, commute to Palo Alto for work. Not much of a gay scene in PA.

by Anonymousreply 1611/02/2014

Lived in the East Bay in the Nineties. I could never afford it now, and I lived in a horrible run down apartment then.

Wine country is nice, Petaluma, Healdsburg, Santa Rosa. I love the older buildings and history.

by Anonymousreply 1711/02/2014

Hell no.

Expensive and earthquakes. Not worth the exhorbitant prices.

by Anonymousreply 1811/02/2014

I grew up in Marin. If I had the money, I'd live there.

by Anonymousreply 1911/02/2014

Tampa Bay? Yes.

by Anonymousreply 2011/02/2014

I moved there as soon as I graduated from a Midwestern university back in the 90s. It was still cool back then, but expensive, crowded and hard to get around.

It was sooooo inconvenient. So much to do in the city, but logistics were a nightmare.

Loved the restaurants and shopping. The Chinese food there is even better than what I had in Hong Kong.

The prostitutes, homeless and filth put a damper on things. And now that I'm older, I'm glad I own a house, car and have a solid retirement account rather than pissing away my money on rent in a cool city.

by Anonymousreply 2111/02/2014

downtown hayward is a car dealership and hideous multiplex.

you crazy, r1.

by Anonymousreply 2211/02/2014

I lived in the Bay area for years, and I can tell you that it's no Lassiter.

by Anonymousreply 2311/02/2014

SF is really cold, windy & foggy. Anything by the beach areas in N CA is cold. And the middle of CA like Santa Barbara is pretty cold too. To get warm weather in N CA you have to move inland.

The warmest area by the beach in N CA is Santa Cruz and it's pretty windy there a lot + they have a severe drought, it's more severe than elsewhere in CA apparently.

by Anonymousreply 2411/02/2014

I live in the Santa Cruz mtns. just S. of the Bay Area. Much better. Cheaper housing, less traffic/crowds and astronomically cleaner air and water. And gargantuan redwoods all over the place.

by Anonymousreply 2511/02/2014

Please tell me how R15, I would rather live in Omaha than this shit hole.

by Anonymousreply 2611/02/2014

I was born and raised in SF. I moved out a few years ago. I would never live there or the Bay Area again. SF is not SF anymore. #fucktechies

I'm still in my 20s so I'm not even nostalgic of 60s 70s SF. It's so incredibly different from even the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 2711/02/2014

No, too many nanny state laws there.

by Anonymousreply 2811/02/2014

[quote] I've never been to downtown Hayward. What's it like? Bustling gay scene?

It hasn't been the same since Capwell's closed

by Anonymousreply 3011/02/2014

Wish I were there (left in 2008; became disabled) but they when read that SF-Vallejo ferry(I lived in SF; would visit friend in Napa) which was $7.50 one way in 2008 is now $13.00 one way (!!!) - realize I could never afford. If I WERE still working, you can bloody well bet my salary wouldn't have nearly doubled in 6 years!

by Anonymousreply 3211/02/2014

R16 I'd like to hear your opinion. I'd also be moving from NY to SF Bay Area. Will I miss the energy of the city? Can SF even compare to NY?

by Anonymousreply 3311/02/2014

If I ever hit the Powerball I would buy a house in the Sea Cliff area of S.F. and a second home in Carmel.

I would need major fuck you money.

by Anonymousreply 3411/02/2014

I've lived in the city for just over a decade. I'm VERY lucky that i got in to a ni9ce rent contolled apt before the current clusterfuck. If you can afford to live here, it's really nice and really easy to live here. If you're moving here now, I can't imagine trying to find an apt, let alone something reasonable. Forget about buying something unless you are filthy rich. You can get some deals on condos in Oakland and by deals I mean paying less than half a mill for a standard 1 or 2 BR condo that you won't get you killed if you walk out the door.

It's NOT NYC, not even close. The city is very small and shuts down pretty much at midnight.

Gay nightlife is only in the city and it's pretty good. There is really NO gay nightlife anywhere outside of the city until you get to Sacramento.

by Anonymousreply 3511/02/2014

I live in SF now, and I want to move. I'm a bit different in the sense that I don't have a particular city I would always be happy with. I would rather just be location-independent and move around as I see fit. But SF is too expensive and most importantly, not WORTH the cost. There's no culture here (unless you count trust fund hipsters and pseudo-hippies and tech bros), everything closes down after 11pm even in the heart of the city, it's filthy as fuck with all the bum spit/shit on the ground, and the public transportation is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 3611/02/2014

Aren't parts of Oakland nice though? I watch HGTV's Curb Appeal the Block with hottie John Giddening.

All the homes are in the Oakland area and they look like nice neighborhoods with little shops and cafes.

by Anonymousreply 3711/02/2014

Everybody's moving to Portland now.

by Anonymousreply 3811/02/2014

There are indeed some very nice and charming parts of Oakland. If they could clean downtown up a little better, it would be fantastic. Great old properties, lots of shops and easy access to BART. The waterfront area is really nice as well. There are some very good neighbordhoods in Oakland. I think if the current housing hysteria continues, it won't be long at all before Oakland gets completely gentrified. There's just too much pressure on the city for affordeable housing.

by Anonymousreply 3911/02/2014

Google is the borg. They are soullesss, and they are now consuming American cities. In the future, they will be banned.

by Anonymousreply 4111/02/2014

Tech bros and the insane number of mentally ill homeless people have ruined SF. This used to be such a fun, laid back city.

by Anonymousreply 4211/02/2014

San Francisco was a dream city for me the first time I saw it. I lived there at a couple of different times. R35 is right. It's not a city in that you walk out your door and there are people everywhere, that energy pulse you get in NYC. 800,000 people v. 8,000,000. It's a cow town but a very pretty cow town. I loved the nightlife when I was there. It was great. But I can't imagine paying the kind of prices people are paying to live there now.

by Anonymousreply 4311/02/2014

[quote]I would and I do. Love it. Live in SF, commute to Palo Alto for work. Not much of a gay scene in PA.

That must be why James Franco left.

by Anonymousreply 4411/02/2014

Was born and raised here. Am in my 50's now. The only reason I can afford to live here is because I bought a house in the early 90's in a funky neighborhood that's among those gentrified, accelerating in the dot-com boom, now exploding with the tekkie boom, which will eventually bust.

My old friends also bought their homes long ago or have been living in rent-controlled buildings.

I love the City, but home equity is my only retirement savings. Will need to sell, then move to rural Oregon.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd move to Portland, OR.

by Anonymousreply 4511/02/2014

Palo Alto is a very creepy place. Very Stepford.

by Anonymousreply 4611/02/2014

We get it, r47...per your post at r29, you're an anti-Asian bigot

by Anonymousreply 4811/02/2014

I agree with you about the Armenians, r47.

by Anonymousreply 4911/02/2014

With rat like cunning, r48 hit the mighty trolldat button!

Of course he should rule the world!

by Anonymousreply 5011/02/2014

I grew up in Contra Costa in the '50s/'60s. Thought about going back now that I'm retired, but it's so different now that I think it would be a mistake (not to mention prohibitively expensive.) Maybe Sonoma County.

by Anonymousreply 5211/02/2014

Is Burning Man still a thing? The city used to be quite nice when it emptied out during that event.

by Anonymousreply 5311/02/2014

Too many jerks. I like visiting SF, but people there have long thought they were a little too "special" and self-important. I've always got on well with New Yorkers, who sometimes have some of the same issues, but some how SFers are much more grating and there's frankly less to do there. SF, itself, is a relatively small city and for every desirable area in Marin or say, in the Oakland Hills or Berkeley, there are often very expensive places of no consequence or lots of places with nothing much to recommend them.

by Anonymousreply 5411/02/2014

A lot of trust fund communist date raping feminists in that city. Living there for four years actually made me more balanced politically. There were so many laughable, unctuous hypocrites, I started to see things with a "red state" p.o.v. when it came to genuine, nonjudgmental, 'down to earth' people (not that they are easy to find, either). Think Nancy Pelosi et al. Horrible phonies, elitist and dim.

by Anonymousreply 5611/02/2014

r56 Being a reactionary isn't usually a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 5711/02/2014

R56 You discovered that leftists are the most intolerant and judgemental people in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 5811/02/2014

[quote]You discovered that leftists are the most intolerant and judgemental people in the United States.

By Golly, thanks for telling us here at DL! Now I have changed my politics! Is there somewhere I can go and support libertarians!

by Anonymousreply 5911/02/2014

DL is not the forum for you, freeper r58.

by Anonymousreply 6011/02/2014

I remember a lot of good times at the Stud, both locations ... the original fern bar. I love the quality of the air in SF. Fresh and clean. If you like walking it's a great cardio workout with startling, beautiful vistas. I have a friend who's lived for many years on a houseboat in Sausalito. Always thought that was the life. The SF skyline from your window. Sausalito is like a cute village just a short hop from the Big City.

by Anonymousreply 6111/02/2014

Do dudes hsve nice Buff athletic bods out there?

by Anonymousreply 6311/02/2014

R51, Marie Callender's used to have "Frisco Burger" on their menu. It was a pretty tasty burger on grilled sourdough. When I went to the Marie Callender's in the Bay Area it had become "San Francisco Burger" on their menu.

by Anonymousreply 6411/02/2014

R38 I'm seeing way too many cars up here with California plates. They're running from the water drought and they will be creating the same problem up here. Our city govt. is aware of this and soon they will be putting the water brakes on EVERYONE, thanks to the California wing nuts.

by Anonymousreply 6511/02/2014

When it's cold indoors, it is COLD. Stock up on blankets, thermal socks and sweaters. San Francisco never got the double-pane window memo that NYC got.

by Anonymousreply 6611/02/2014

I love Sausalito too.

by Anonymousreply 6711/02/2014

Lots of inappropriate anti-Asian comments here. Please desist. You know how it feels to be the recipient of prejudice queer boys. So please remember that Asians have made the city more diverse and smarter and have way improved the public school system.

by Anonymousreply 6811/02/2014

[quote]When it's cold indoors, it is COLD. Stock up on blankets, thermal socks and sweaters. San Francisco never got the double-pane window memo that NYC got.

Plus, just like humidity makes heat worse, it makes cold worse. And, SF, when it gets cold, is a damp, humid cold that can really get in your skin and bones.

by Anonymousreply 6911/02/2014

i hope the racist comments are from the freepers who have taken to infesting this board, not from my fellow gays.

by Anonymousreply 7011/02/2014

Yeah -- I'd live in St. Pete.

by Anonymousreply 7211/02/2014

Unless you already own a home in the Bay Area or rented in Oakland during the recession don't bother...I'm lucky to live right across the street from Lake Merritt for 1,000 a month (rent control). I'm desperately trying to escape to, yes you guessed it, PORTLAND.

by Anonymousreply 7311/02/2014

R73 you won't be able to find an apt. here as the occupancy turnover rate is less than 2% and housing costs have skyrocketed. However you could find room at a homeless encampment under the Burnside Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 7411/02/2014

R68, who you calling "queer", dude?

by Anonymousreply 7511/02/2014

begone hideous racist freeper, r71, please leave this board, your kind is not welcome here!

by Anonymousreply 7611/02/2014

[quote]So please remember that Asians have made the city more diverse and smarter and have way improved the public school system.

I just shit myself laughing.

by Anonymousreply 7711/02/2014

R77 as a New Yorker staying at a friend's apt. near Geary Blvd. in SF for a month, I had to use the No. 38 bus to get to downtown. The first thing I noticed was that Asians do NOT line up in a queue to get on the bus. They all storm the bus door at the same time. I thought they were extremely rude. If they pulled that shit in Brooklyn, where I live, they would get their asses kicked in.

by Anonymousreply 7911/02/2014

lived in SF for 5 years,and i wish a triad would hunt you down and kill you, hideous freeper r78.

by Anonymousreply 8011/02/2014

God you are sad R80.

by Anonymousreply 8111/02/2014

R80 I agree. There's a LOT of people who can't handle criticism.

by Anonymousreply 8211/02/2014

R81 I agree. There's a LOT of people who can't handle criticism and reality.

by Anonymousreply 8311/02/2014

I live on the border of China'town and civilization. My front door is at the Ritz; my back door is deep in the heart of Stockton and Chinatown. They live in filth and are happy to do so. They have no concept of personal space. Their faces have the perpetual look of confusion when dealing with Anglos.

Harsh you say? Go visit... and they just keep coming. SF is squeezed between the soulless Asians and the soulless techies. Very little charm left. And that charm is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 8411/02/2014

sad, maybe, but at least not a racist, freeper troll, so i have that going for me, freakshow r71/r77

by Anonymousreply 8511/02/2014

Just so we are clear, R85, you are perfectly happy with the Vietnamese gangs and the Chinese triads and see nothing wrong with pointing out the danger they bring to the table?

Or, do you think those are bridge clubs?

by Anonymousreply 8611/02/2014

New rule: when things aren't going well for you in life, blame techies, freepers, [fill in blank].......but under no circumstances look in the mirror.

by Anonymousreply 8711/02/2014

Don't forget the Koch brothers R87. They only wish they were half as powerful as they are portrayed on DL.

by Anonymousreply 8811/02/2014

Triad is a song from a Jefferson Airplane album. JA was from San Francisco.

by Anonymousreply 8911/02/2014

Can we cease with the gangs, Asian, Mexican, Techie wars ?

Let's discuss the various neighborhood/sections of the City .

by Anonymousreply 9011/03/2014

I was born and grew up in San Francisco. Moved away at 20, never went back. The San Francisco and Bay Area I knew are long gone. My hometown is a foreign city.

by Anonymousreply 9111/03/2014

r84, be gone with you already before I drop a house on you. Yo do not deserve to live here and you contribute nothing other than your unwelcomed douchebagery. I'm so sorry that you are unloved.

by Anonymousreply 9202/15/2015

The perpetually confused Asians of r84 are the only ones who mistake r92 for a real American.

by Anonymousreply 9302/15/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!