Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hetrosexual Jeremy Renner on SNL in about...

24 minutes...

by Anonymousreply 9111/18/2012

Looks like no more making fun of Shit. i haven't gotten tired of it yet...

Not really listening io opening skit but it sucks just the same...

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

He's so effusive, charming and affable here. Let's reevaluate him and become his champion.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

Who?

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

He's not really playing piano.

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

Shit! The boy has some pipes on him

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

Someone explain his success to me, because I really don't understand it. He's extremely fug, approx two feet tall, a pathetic closet case with a lousy attitude.

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

I agree, R5, but for a second there I did wonder if he was lip-synching. But I think that really was him singing.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

He is the sexiest lesbian ever!

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

I'm sad he didn't sing a fake theme song to Dahmer.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

What are the skits about so far?

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

Our young stars are often staggeringly gifted but forced into vehicles that fail to exploit their strengths.

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

He's almost 40!

by Anonymousreply 1211/17/2012

UGH, The Californians AGAIN?!

by Anonymousreply 1311/17/2012

He does sing and play the piano. Too bad this show's writers suck big time.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2012

Strangely, that blond wig on Bill Hader almost makes him look like Brad Pitt.

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

I'm with R6. I don't understand his appeal.

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2012

The fact tat the californians is a recurring skit is proof that thewriters cant come up with any good new material.

This is the best they can come up with?! Time to fire everyone and start again.

by Anonymousreply 1711/17/2012

I think he looks like a pug. I don't get the appeal. He's no Matt Damon, that's for sure.

He does have a decent singing voice though.

by Anonymousreply 1811/17/2012

I dunno, R16. I don't think he's that attractive in pictures, but watching him on screen, he has a quality that gives me an itch in my bathing suit area.

by Anonymousreply 1911/17/2012

Obviously the NYers hate The Californians skit because they are upset the whole show isn't about them.

The Californians is hilarious and spot on.

by Anonymousreply 2011/17/2012

The CNN dramatization of the Jill Kelly footage was funny.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

Renner shaking his ass while standing at the urinal was hot.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

It was a funny sketch the first time it was on, R20. And it would continue to be funny if it didn't always run too segments too long.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

I can't get enough of the Californians' Valley-speak best-way-from-here-to-there bits. The whole cast can join in to take their turn at it. And the production crew can laugh and laugh at cast members' take on it. It's so much fun for all involved. It never gets old, does it?

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2012

I liked the Jill Kelly skit. Jeremy Renner has an awesome voice and while he might not be traditionally attractive he is a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2012

For me, the funniest thing about "The Californians" is that one of the central character's names is "Stuart," which genuinely sounds hilariously bizarre when pronounced with a thick Southern Californian accent.

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2012

I remember a few years ago it looked like Adam was going bald...

Hmmm...

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2012

Strange seeing Jason Sudekeis. I thought he was planning to leave the show once Romney lost the election.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

I'd like Maroon 5 a whole lot better if they were Train.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2012

Sleeve tats=idiot

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

It's not that New Yorkers hate "The Californians" is basically that pretty most of the SNL sketches do have the potential to be entertaining, but the writing using stops being entertaining about the first menute into any sketch.

This show can have the best actors, actresses and comedic talent the world has to offer, but the writing sucks.

The only current ensemble actor to rise about he crap material is Bill Hader, possibly he's writing his own sketches, like the gay tweaker club host?

How about Lorne hiring new writers and not depending so much on the acting ensemble to write their own sketches?

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

[quote]Strange seeing Jason Sudekeis. I thought he was planning to leave the show once Romney lost the election.

I heard/read somewhere that he might leave at mid-season.

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2012

"I'd like Maroon 5 a whole lot better if they were Train."

I'd like Maroon 5 a whole lot better if they were The Police.

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

r31, you are wrong on all counts. And Bill Hader doesn't write the Stefan stuff... in fact he has no idea what's on the cue cards which is why he cracks up when doing it, it's the first time he's read it.

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2012

Chris Christie's Mainstream Appeal Consultant is an evil genius. Luckily he'll never be thin enough to be a viable Presidential candidate.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

Chris Christie has had the best comic timing of the night.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

Chris Christie on Weekend Update

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

Yeah, R34. John Mulaney writes the Stefon bits.

by Anonymousreply 3811/18/2012

He's hot!!!

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2012

I actually don't care for Kate McKinnon, but her Scarlett Johansson impression is dead on.

by Anonymousreply 4011/18/2012

Jason Sudeikis and Taran Killam were hot as Iron Man and Captain America.

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2012

Has Jason lost weight? He looks thinner.

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012

Did Sudeikis lose weight? He's looking very fit tonight.

by Anonymousreply 4311/18/2012

Well, INSIDER R34, since yon seem to know so much about the inner workings at SNL, you need to pass it on to Lorne that his writers SUCK.

To be honest in all the years I've watched SNL, since I was a child during the Belushi, Radner etc years, I've never paid attention to who the writers were. I do recall the original writers rarely got involved with the sketches. If they did appear, it was as an extra during a sketch. IIRC, the late Micheal O'Donahue was one of the few SNL writers who was actually in sketches.

Bill Hader is hysterical as Stefon, there's NO WAY he's reading the cue cards for the first time, no freaking way he hasn't seen the sketch beforehand.

All the cast members see the sketches beforehand, they even run through sketches they don't end up doing. A friend was set to appear on one of the many SNL shows Alec Baldwin hosted, she went through the entire sketch with Baldwin during the dress rehearsal, then the sketch was cut before air time.

by Anonymousreply 4411/18/2012

[quote]This show can have the best actors, actresses and comedic talent the world has to offer, but the writing sucks.

The best writing I've seen this year was when Louis CK was hosting. You could tell which skits were primarily his work.

SNL writers tend to use that lame joke, repeat joke, repeat joke, dead ending formula. CK's stuff broke from that in a big way.

by Anonymousreply 4511/18/2012

If that Cool Drones cartoon had been just a little bit better-written it would have ended up cut out of all future airings like the Conspiracy Theory Rock TV Funhouse segment.

by Anonymousreply 4611/18/2012

If the writing sucks it's only because Lorne has terrible comedic taste.

by Anonymousreply 4711/18/2012

[quote]Bill Hader is hysterical as Stefon, there's NO WAY he's reading the cue cards for the first time, no freaking way he hasn't seen the sketch beforehand.

Hader has said that the way it works is that they practice most of Stefan's lines beforehand, but the trick they've worked out is that the writers work in to the routine one line he hasn't read before they put on the cue cards at a place he's pre-arranged with them. that's almost always the line that makes him break up (they save the funniest line for that slot but don;t tell it to him).

They also discovered that there's an SNL stagehand who can say to Hader just before he goes on for the skit, "There's no WAY you're not laughing this time" that is guaranteed to make him even more likely to lose it.

by Anonymousreply 4811/18/2012

r47, I agree. I mean you can't tell me that was the best Avengers sketch a room full of asthmatic Ivy League nerds could have come up with.

by Anonymousreply 4911/18/2012

I was afraid this show would suck tonigh and it was even worse than I thought.

Renner was game, but not naturally comic, but I did like his singing and piano playing.

Does anyone know what that glitch was at the very beginning? A mike not turned on or something, for a split second when Renner started playing?

I love "The Californians"; especially Fred Armisen. But it went on way too long tonight.

I thought they'd have a skit WITH a "Petraeus" character. COWARDS.

The super-heroes skit was dreadful, even Kate McKinnon.

The Jason Sudeikis character in the film-shooting/slapping scene was so obnoxious that even though I realize he's an actor playing a part, I had to change the dial.

I actually thought the last skit, the body on the table, was really bizarre, funny; something different - one of the best skits.

Now that the election's over, Jason Sudeikis should get his agent to get him the FUCK off of SNL: he's WAY too good for this show now; love to see him do different tv and more movies; he actually has leading man potential.

Loved seeing Chris Christie; nice he was hugging some of the cast at the curtain call (looking a LITTLE thinner? maybe?

by Anonymousreply 5011/18/2012

[quote] I do recall the original writers rarely got involved with the sketches. If they did appear, it was as an extra during a sketch.

That's not true. They did appear as more than extras several times.

Anne Beatts was the housewife in the commercial for Speed, "the little pill you don't have to have a prescription to take." Al Franken and Tom Davis frequently did commentaries on "Weekend Update." And Harry Shearer did his great Rod Serling imitation whenever they did a "Twilight Zone" skit (like the great one they did with Ricky Nelson).

by Anonymousreply 5111/18/2012

[quote]the writers work in to the routine [bold]one[/bold] line he hasn't read before they put on the cue cards at a place he's pre-arranged with them.

[quote]that's almost always the line that makes him break up (they save the funniest line for that slot but don;t tell it to him).

= Hader's cue to "spontaneously" break out laughing because the audience will just LOVE it!

by Anonymousreply 5211/18/2012

Why was Armisen basically breaking up all thru The Californians? He was just about to laugh all the way thru it - no one else was, though...

by Anonymousreply 5311/18/2012

Joseph-Gordon Levitt next week...OH MY GAWD!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5411/18/2012

[quote]Why was Armisen basically breaking up all thru The Californians? He was just about to laugh all the way thru it - no one else was, though...

Because the audience [bold]LOVES[/bold] when cast members break character and break up during a skit.

= HIL-ARIOUS!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5511/18/2012

Rerun, R54

by Anonymousreply 5611/18/2012

Adam Levine's tattoo arms are HORRIBLE looking.

by Anonymousreply 5711/18/2012

Chris Christie stole the show. He has serious acting skills.

by Anonymousreply 5811/18/2012

"That's not true. They did appear as more than extras several times.

Anne Beatts was the housewife in the commercial for Speed, "the little pill you don't have to have a prescription to take." Al Franken and Tom Davis frequently did commentaries on "Weekend Update." And Harry Shearer did his great Rod Serling imitation whenever they did a "Twilight Zone" skit (like the great one they did with Ricky Nelson)."

Once again, as I'd posted, I didn't pay much attention to WHO was writing and I was a CHILD during the first SNL era. My parents allowed me to watch as they, and my teenage siblings, watched.

Harry Shearer, Al Franken and Tom Davis were more actors than just behind-the-scenes writers. They weren't writers who are simply there as writers, I know they acting on SNL.

I am talking about the types of SNL writers who have never appeared because they had no aspirations to act. IIRC, Tina Fey never appeared when she first started writing for SNL.

Wasn't Conan O'Brien a writer for SNL? I never remember him acting on the show, he was never part of the ensemble, that's for sure.

by Anonymousreply 5911/18/2012

"Chris Christie stole the show. He has serious acting skills."

That's right. Superstorm Sandy blew the curtains up and Christie has been performing his ass off, on a national stage, ever since.

by Anonymousreply 6011/18/2012

The Californians is where I turned the TV off and went to bed.

by Anonymousreply 6111/18/2012

He's adorable....he reminds me of Hermie the little elf who wants to be a dentist.

by Anonymousreply 6211/18/2012

I liked the first song that Adam Levine performed. And he's sexy.

by Anonymousreply 6311/18/2012

Fred Armisen rarely breaks character but he did tonight. And you could tell Hader was being mischievous and ad-libbing a bit when he held that word a really long time, and then as the medical examiner messing with Terry's face and playing drums on his chest. No way was that in the script.

Hader is really obvious when reading his cue cards too.

by Anonymousreply 6411/18/2012

Was his Thai Ladyboy in the audience?

by Anonymousreply 6511/18/2012

[quote]there's an SNL stagehand who can say to Hader just before he goes on for the skit, "There's no WAY you're not laughing this time" that is guaranteed to make him even more likely to lose it.

That's so cute.

by Anonymousreply 6611/18/2012

The Californians is my least favorite skit, just awful.

by Anonymousreply 6711/18/2012

[quote]Strangely, that blond wig on Bill Hader almost makes him look like Brad Pitt.

Running for the lotion...

by Anonymousreply 6811/18/2012

Other than the bad writing, my objection to the Californians is that they don't sound like southern Californians or even exaggerated versions of the accent.

by Anonymousreply 6911/18/2012

To own and run a comedy empire Lorne Michaels doesn't seem to be very funny or to have much of a sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 7011/18/2012

[quote]Loved seeing Chris Christie; nice he was hugging some of the cast at the curtain call (looking a LITTLE thinner? maybe?

Thinner than what? The state of Deleware?

by Anonymousreply 7111/18/2012

[quote]Why was Armisen basically breaking up all thru The Californians? He was just about to laugh all the way thru it - no one else was, though...

IIRC, Renner, when he first appeared, almost started laughing first, then got it quickly under control and continued. Armisen, on the other hand, who I thought was reacting to Renner, couldn't seem to stop himself from that point forward.

by Anonymousreply 7211/18/2012

I thought the hometown tourism commercial was spot on. For me, anyways.

by Anonymousreply 7311/18/2012

The only sketch I found funny was that weird last one. Renner is so unbelievably ugly.

by Anonymousreply 7511/18/2012

Loved the "Speed" commercial. I quote is often when overtasked: yes I'll get to that between my sets of tennis and work with the blind.

by Anonymousreply 7611/18/2012

Sudeikis has dropped a bit of weight--and I found him hot before. NOW I must fan myself.

by Anonymousreply 7711/18/2012

Chris Christie is thinner?

No.

by Anonymousreply 7811/18/2012

Loved the hometown tourism ad. That was great. I love the Californians, because it really is spot on. My favorite part is how Keenan always shows up at the end. Keenan in the blond wig just kills me.

by Anonymousreply 7911/18/2012

[quote]Renner is so unbelievably ugly.

He does have beautiful eyes, and sexy arms.

by Anonymousreply 8011/18/2012

I have to tune out to the Californians, because I don't think the skit is funny, and it's too damn long.

by Anonymousreply 8111/18/2012

There couldn't have been a more heterosexual host. His heterosexuality just oozed out of every pixel of my flatscreen.

by Anonymousreply 8211/18/2012

Did his stacked gal pal show up?

by Anonymousreply 8311/18/2012

I never thought I'd say this on DL.

But you gay boys can have him. Honestly.

by Anonymousreply 8411/18/2012

[quote]Did his stacked gal pal show up?

Busty, R83, busty.

by Anonymousreply 8511/18/2012

I wish they had the kissing family skit, I wanted to see Bill Hader and Jeremy Renner tongue each other down.

by Anonymousreply 8611/18/2012

Renner would never do something like that, r86. I'm sure they had to do some fast talking just so he'd get onto a bed with those two guys in the standoff sketch.

by Anonymousreply 8711/18/2012

R6 I think, he's still coasting on the success of The Hurt Locker. I don't think he will be around all that much.

I think he's alright. Nothing amazing about him but nothing bad either. Eh.

by Anonymousreply 8811/18/2012

Some guys just aren't attractive, i.e. Renner.

by Anonymousreply 8911/18/2012

Right back at you Straighty r84. It's like we're playing hot potato with that troll - nobody wants to be stuck with it.

by Anonymousreply 9011/18/2012

taran got chunky and his meaty hairy pecs looked great in that brief shower scene with the guns....

by Anonymousreply 9111/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.