Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Describe Your Grandma's Old Car

It was a brown Buick LeSabre with a tan interior. It was a frickin' boat. I inherited it from her, and the damn thing blew its engine. I think it just didn't like moving from the country to the city. I still see them around all the time, and they never fail to remind me of her.

by Anonymousreply 4604/17/2013

My grandma drove a big Buick boat. This was 30 years ago and I don't know the model. She could barely see over the dashboard. Going down the street, the car looked like it was driving itself.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

PS Her (grandma's) name was Hazel.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

My Grandma had three of these in a row.

She was beside herself when they stopped making them.

They were like miniature Rolls Royces inside.

The closest America got to a car like this was the Austin America.

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

Pale yellow Cadillac with matching interior and vinyl "landau" roof. Perfect for Florida. The steering wheel was as big as a garbage can lid.

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

My grandmother never drove, but when I was a tyke I remember my grandfather driving a big, dark, old sedan with a bench seat, and my grandma [italic] always [/italic] sat right next to him in the middle, never by the passenger door. A-w-w-w-w.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

Neither of my grammy's drove but this was my grampy's car. God, it was badass. My mom called it "circus red" and didn't let us ride with him.

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

this one

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

Another Grandmother who never drove. She did cruise around with my Grandfather in a green Studebaker station wagon though.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

Preppy grandma still drives a Jeep. She's a cunt, but at least also a Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

My grandma had a 1958 black Ford Fairlane. The steering wheel was huge.

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

My granny drove an '67 Oldsmobile Toronado. She kept it for YEARS. My cousins and I drove it after she was senile. It was like driving a boat, but it could get up to 100 mph in no time. (The speedometer was on a circular wheel...)

by Anonymousreply 1211/17/2012

1977 Chrysler Cordoba. Brown. So stylish.

by Anonymousreply 1311/17/2012

A royal blue Ford Maverick is the last thing she drove, before the family stopped letting her drive. She got into too many near accidents. Great lady--had never worked or drove when her husband died young, so she learned to drive and went to work as a sales lady to support her kids.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2012

Like this R13?

Why don't lazy posters post links to pics? That's what I want to know.

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

This one. It had push buttons and a slider thing on the left for the transmission.

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2012

Excuse the hell out of me, R15. But yes, that's it. The hubcaps were different and it was a lighter shade of brown.

by Anonymousreply 1711/17/2012

A 1979 Ford Mercury, all white. Very elegant and smooth--it was like riding a sofa.

by Anonymousreply 1811/17/2012

Cadillac Calais...

It was a boat!!!! Loved it! And loved her! God, I miss my grandmother!

by Anonymousreply 1911/17/2012

My maternal grandma didn't drive, but I can describe my grandfather's cars.

Three words: Plastic. Duct tape.

And lots of it. Covering all of the interior. The seats. All the grandchildren- myself included- loathed riding in it, especially in the summer for obvious reasons.

Now THAT was an economical man, that old guy. He's much older now, so he no longer gives his rides that 'decorative touch.'

by Anonymousreply 2011/17/2012

Neither of my grandmothers drove. When I was young, my parents' car (the only family car) was a 53 Chevy with a column-mounted stick shift. When I had to learn to drive on that years later, I could never coordinate the clutch and the shift. and finally gave up.

by Anonymousreply 2111/17/2012

My other grandmother had one of these. The only nice thing about it was that the steering wheel matched the red interior.

by Anonymousreply 2211/17/2012

Isn't that a British car? Why is the steering wheel on the left?

by Anonymousreply 2311/17/2012

I don't know, R23...export model, I guess.

If Hyacinth Bucket had driven her own car, it's the sort of car she would have had.

by Anonymousreply 2411/17/2012

What is it about grandparents and Buicks? Grandma didn't drive, but their main car was always a higher end Buick. They always got the nicest LeSabre model. This thread makes me miss my grandparents. Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 2511/17/2012

A Ford Mustang from the 70s in this exact shade of green. Gramma would chain-smoke with the window cracked 1/2 and inch, with the heat blowing full blast.

by Anonymousreply 2611/17/2012

This. Gramma was old as dirt.

by Anonymousreply 2711/17/2012

One always drove a basic four-door Ford Galaxie 500 - the last one was a brown 1972 model with matching vinyl interior that she drove until she died in the late 1980's. She could hardly see over the steering wheel. The other drove cars with more style - in the 1960's she had a maroon Thunderbird then in the 70's and 80's she had a couple of blue Lincolns. I wish I had that T-Bird.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

Gramma's last car was a 1975 Buick Skylark, green body and white vinyl top. It was a Xmas gift that year from my Mom and her brothers and sisters. She gave it to me when she voluntarily gave up driving in 1991.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2012

Oddly enough, none of my grandparents drove.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

So long ago the upholstery was mohair. Gramps had just driven it home from the dealer to show off. My brother and I were playing in the front of the car and discovered the cigarette lighter. We were not apprehended until there were at least a hundred burn holes in that mohair. I always remember the nasty plaid seat cover that was installed to cover our deed.

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

My grandmother died when I was 5. And she didn't drive. I never knew my other grandmother but I don't think she drove either.

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2012

My paternal grandma never drove but she knew every bus route from here to the opposite end of the earth.

Her husband lost his left leg in a horse and buggy accident when he was five years old. He drove a standard transmission car for years with just one leg.

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

So many Grandmothers who didn't drive.

Just for fun, let's go ahead and expand this thread to include what make of automobile they provided their chauffeurs, shall we?

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2012

My maternal grandmother drove one of these. Hers was two-tone as well, but hers was navy blue and white.

What I remember most about that car was the red disc in the center of the hubcaps. They were about eye level for my height at the time.

She spun off the highway in a rare Southern sleet storm and replaced it with a maroon '62 leSabre.

I'll post the first car I remember my paternal grandmother drove later today if this thread is still around.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

Grey 1963 Mercedes with red leather interior that my grandfather picked up in Stuttgart and took back to the US via ocean liner.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

1982 White Ford LTD

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

My dear old grandmother drove a lovely white 1979 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe from 1980 until 2000. It was white with a burgundy pinstripe and had a velour interior, and turbine rims. She now drives a 1996 Ford Taurus, and I have the old Lincoln!

by Anonymousreply 3804/17/2013

She stank of gin and drove one of these:

by Anonymousreply 3904/17/2013

Oddly enough, none of my grandparents drove cars! One set lived in New York City, and the other in Chicago. Both relied on public transportation their entire lives.

by Anonymousreply 4004/17/2013

My mother won an amphibious car on the old "Price Is Right" TV program when it was in black and white. It was valued at about $2,500 back then---which was a typical yearly salary in 1963. A photo of one that very nearly approximates it in red and with the fins follows (took me an hour to find a good photo). We brought it to Connecticut with us (we had a summer house on the shore) and would sail it out to Cedar Island. It was the only car on the entire island.

Themz wuz good dayz

by Anonymousreply 4104/17/2013

Something called a Brooklawn. Got 9mpg. Parking it was like mooring the Queen Mary.

by Anonymousreply 4204/17/2013

A 1978 [iirc] Plymouth Scamp, blue with white hard top.

She loved that damn car, lol.

by Anonymousreply 4304/17/2013

Phat gray Mercedes S class 500 series with red leather interior. Circa 1977 and a tad rusty from the Chicago winters. Grandma was ballin though.

by Anonymousreply 4404/17/2013

The first two I remember was a green and white 1956 Oldsmobile with a white interior which she totaled in 1962. After that she drove a powder blue 1959 Mercury Monterrey for four years...what a huge boat that car was! A "Land Yacht" if ever there was one.

by Anonymousreply 4504/17/2013

My grandmother was a lead-footed speed demon in her pale yellow Mercury Zephyr with a pumpkin-colored interior. It got passed down to us grandkids, and it was the car I learned how to drive in.

My other grandmother lived into her 90s without ever driving except as a notorious backseat driver. She would give directions assured to get anyone lost then defend her ignorance by declaring, "Well, what do I know?"

by Anonymousreply 4604/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.