Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

'Tis the season for Turkey Lurkey time!

First up: the original fierce bitch Donna McKechnie. Poor video quality, but worth every second to see Miss "no bones or ligaments" McK's brilliance. Notice how much better she is than everyone around her!

by Anonymousreply 5411/27/2014

One of the great works of art of the second half of the 29th century!

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

I LOVE this!!!! I wish I could have been there to see this show at the time. Did you know that Donna auditioned for Dark Shadows while she was doing this show?

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

Where is this clip from? Ed Sullivan?

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

In this one, Margo Sappington gets her shot at center stage. She's great, but she's no Donna M. Best part of this video - watch how Barbara Alston in the purple dress kicks the woman behind her at the 1:42 mark. Priceless!

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

The kittengays probably know this one, from the movie Camp.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

Early career footage of Andrew Keenan-Bolger in this one!

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

Um, then there's this one. No words. No words.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

R3, it's from the 1968 Tony Awards show.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

Kelly Bishop is in there on the left!

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

29th = 20th, but it's probably one of the great art works of the 29th century, too, seeing as how it's gorgeous for all time. Thank gosh for Donna McKechnie and Baayork Lee and Margot Sappington! And of course thank gosh for Michael Bennett! Donna McKechnie dances from her center, from her torso, she is so powerful, you can feel the energy just jumping straight out from her abdomen, sorry to sound so clinical. And Kelly Bishop is one of the dancers in the background standing up on an office desk at the end. (She was billed as Carole Bishop at the time.) Also in the chorus is Graciela Daniele.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

No video of Sappington in TLT exists on YouTube. That's Stites doing the Sappington role and then McKechnie.

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

This one is fun.

by Anonymousreply 1211/17/2012

r5, I'm the one who first mentioned Camp in the Fun, Obscure Movie Musicals thread. Love when the boys finally start dancing at 1:57. Even before that, you can tell they're just absolutely itching to get out there!

by Anonymousreply 1311/17/2012

WOW. Just saw (and heard of) that for the first time ever.

What a knockout performance.

Thank you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2012

It's always so weird to me the dancing is so amazing and the song itself is beyond awful.

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

Here's a much better quality clip.

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2012

For such a silly song, that is an incredible number! Just jaw dropping for the energy, the choreography and the joy of it all! I remember reading in more than a few places quotes from Donna McKechnie that dancers were going to chiropractors all the time due to that head snap thing they do!

by Anonymousreply 1711/17/2012

The second video is of Stites . . . who I think looks better than Donna M. She has a better figure just not the long legs. She is also more fluid and natural moving. I noticed that in the Donna M. rendition she gets a shorter dress than the other 2 she dances with. The shorter dress way above the knee is more flattering than their dresses which detract from their figures.

It's just a matter of taste but Stites seems more natural to me and her curvier figure works better with certain moves.

These are from comments at Youtube for the non-Donna video:

[quote] This performance of Turkey Lurkey Time is from season 23/episode 20 of The Ed Sullivan Show which aired 8 February 1970. The 3 dancers in front are Baayork Lee (green dress), Julane Stites (red dress) and Barbara Alston (blue dress). This was confirmed by Shanon Barker at the Stites Performing Arts Center in Portland, Oregon, and by a press photo of Ms. Stites kissing a journalist after her performance….

[quote] Oh wow, the middle dancer is a dance teacher at my school. She was 16 at the time this show was going on and she's 58 now.

by Anonymousreply 1811/17/2012

Sorry, this is the video I was referring to with Stites above at R18.

by Anonymousreply 1911/17/2012

[R7] words: magnif & tall guy may have his way with me

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

For Donna M Fans - dancing with other Hullabaloo dancers on some TV special to I Can't Get No Satisfaction. Barbara Alston also dances.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

Thanks R16, I didn't know a better quality video of the Tonys existed. And my apologies for incorrectly identifying the dancer in the 2nd video. I thought it was Sappington.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

The dancer in the McKechnie video is also not Sappington, it's Stites. I also like her lead in the number better than Donna's.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

[quote] I also like her lead in the number better than Donna's.

You and about seven other people the world over.

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2012

[quote] I also like her lead in the number better than Donna's.

[quote] You and about seven other people the world over.

Amen! McKechnie is McMesmerising.

Was Barbara Alston a member of The Crystals?

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2012

Oh, you McKechnieites. I'm sure you put your kaftans on, then attempt backbends with your tape of "Music and the Mirror" blaring in the background.

There's a reason McKechnie never became a star. She's too damn ordinary. At least Stites was cute. McKechnie already had that Broadway faghag look, even as a teen.

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2012

r26

She was no ordinary dancer. She may not be anything special as a straight actress.

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2012

We will never have another Broadway choreographer like Michael Bennett. Why we haven't had a Michael Bennett review, yet we're getting "Susan Strohman's The Prince of Broadway" is a truly dismal question. If I had the money, I'd finance a Broadway tribute to Bennett with my own money.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

r26, McKechnie is anything but ordinary. And winning a Tony for her performance in one of Broadway's most mythological and important shows will always solidify her role in American theatre history. She's had a better career than Rebecca Luker, or even DL favorite Karen Ziemba.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2012

I love this song so much and would never have heard it but for datalounge! it's so cute and festive. How come it never "happened" in terms of being a holiday standard?

by Anonymousreply 3011/19/2012

Miss Wong of mimeograph!

If only cube-fraus were this lively.

by Anonymousreply 3111/19/2012

The figure end to the end is truly amazing! Who the hell did Michael Bennett lose the Tony to that year??

by Anonymousreply 3211/19/2012

"Turkey" is all about the visuals.

The lyrics are awful, and it is a song that I always skip when listing to the cast recording. Perhaps the worst song that Bacharach/David composed on their own. It's hard to belief that the lyrics came from the same pen as 'One Less Bell to Answer', 'Raindrops Feel Fallin' on My Head', or 'Walk on By'.

But add to it Michael Bennett's choreography, and Turkey Lurkey is part of the Broadway canon.

by Anonymousreply 3311/19/2012

Did anyone see the Turkey Lurkey number done in the recent Promises revival?

It was like community-theatre compared to this.

Plus shitty costumes and ugly performers.

And why on earth did they move the year from 1968 to 1962?

The sound... the beat... is positively late '60s.

by Anonymousreply 3411/19/2012

[quote]And why on earth did they move the year from 1968 to 1962?

'Cause they wanted to cash in on the early '60s nostalgia that was gripping the country at the time, thanks to "Mad Men."

by Anonymousreply 3511/19/2012

The reason this song never happened is because you can't tell if it is a thanksgiving song or a Christmas song.

by Anonymousreply 3611/19/2012

I thought it was a Christmas song, unless offices have Thanksgiving parties? Also, they reference a partridge in a pear tree, and a mistletoe-ey Christmas.

Maybe Thanksgiving should have a different dish to ensure that Turkey Lurkey Time is a definite Christmas song. I recommend a duck instead of a turkey.

by Anonymousreply 3711/19/2012

The revival "Turkey Lurkey Time" was awful! Nothing beats Bennett and the original choreography.. and yes, I saw both productions.

by Anonymousreply 3811/19/2012

Yes I think it is a Christmas song but the turkey reference sounds soooo novembery. Thus this song never happened as it should have.

by Anonymousreply 3911/19/2012

Promises, Promises - number was set during the office Christmas party.

by Anonymousreply 4011/19/2012

I can't remember the book I read, but one performer described Michael Bennett's ability of making a dance number really "cum" at the end. I can't think of a better way to describe Bennett's work.

by Anonymousreply 4111/19/2012

Of course TLT is silly and has nonsensical lyrics, isn't it supposed to have been put together for the party by the three office girls?

by Anonymousreply 4211/19/2012

r42

Exactly. It's their "bit".

by Anonymousreply 4311/19/2012

Just an FYI, some dumbass bumped a Turkey Lurkey Time thread from 2010. There are now 2 Turkey Lurkey Time threads on DL. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 4411/19/2012

turkey lurkey bumpy burkey!

by Anonymousreply 4511/20/2012

R41, Music and the Mirror certainly didn't cum. It's still the biggest letdown of the show. Bennett's choreography from ACL is surprisingly pedestrian. Most of the work is done by flapping the arms.

by Anonymousreply 4611/20/2012

Little Baayork Lee is freakin' adorable!

by Anonymousreply 4711/20/2012

OP, good to know you are a fan boi bitch too.

by Anonymousreply 4811/20/2012

Surely there is more to discuss!

by Anonymousreply 4911/20/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 5011/25/2013

This is genius.

It brings back a style from the late sixties that was so fresh and looks good even today.

Bennett's choreography here is MUCH better than Chorus Line and this show was much better than the re do they tried a few years ago with Chenowith.

by Anonymousreply 5111/25/2013

[quote]Was Barbara Alston a member of The Crystals?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 5211/26/2013

Bump for Turkey Lurkey time.

by Anonymousreply 5312/09/2013

Do I have to do EVERYthing for Data Lounge?

Happy Thanksgiving!

by Anonymousreply 5411/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.