Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George Gershwin

Always helps a little with my depression. He gives you a slice of goodness and glamour. Any stories about George?

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012

c'mon turkey people

by Anonymousreply 111/23/2012

Glamour my lame ass.

by Anonymousreply 211/23/2012

Ask Kitty Carlisle Hart; she had dated him and almost married him. Oscar Levant said he had the hairiest chest he had ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 311/23/2012

Just heard that he had a gigantic ego. Supposedly Oscar Levant, a very close friend, once asked him "George, if you had to do it all over again, would you still fall in love with yourself?" Great line. However, if anyone is justified in having a big ego, Gershwin is. Positive genius.

by Anonymousreply 411/23/2012

"But Not for Me," his favorite song, was autobiographical.

by Anonymousreply 511/23/2012

I've heard he was gay, and I've heard he wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 611/23/2012

What, nobody is saying he's gay? That's unusual. Usually when the topic of a male celebrity from another era comes up the first thing said about him is "he's gay! He liked rent boys! Somebody said he was gay, so it must be true!"

For the record, he wasn't gay. He was a womanizer with a big ego. He was also a musical genius who died too soon.

by Anonymousreply 711/23/2012

Well, listened to Michael Feinstein on Fresnh Air yesterday, an authority if there is one, and long out gay, and he was equivocal. Said certainly possible but no proof as to GG. Ira was not.

by Anonymousreply 811/23/2012

But Ira wrote The Man That Got Away!

by Anonymousreply 911/23/2012

Big dick face.

by Anonymousreply 1011/23/2012

Instrumental highlights from Porgy and Bess always cheer me up. Also excerpts from An American in Paris but have always liked Rhapsody in Blue. I am one of the few people I know who really like him; some people say his work still hasn't stood the test of time but I really think it has, in the next decade some of it will be 100 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1111/24/2012

""But Not for Me," his favorite song, was autobiographical."

Fascinating, but Ira wrote the lyrics

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

My favorite anecdote.

Stravinsky adored his music. When Gershwin asked Stravinsky for lessons, the latter shook his head. "Why not?" asked Gershwin. Stravinsky then asked Gerswhin, "How much did you make last year?" The reply was "A quarter of a million." After a pregnant pause, Stravinsky replied "George, you ought to give ME lessons!"

Pure genius. Imho, Ella's songbook is one of the essential recordings of the century. No one captures his music that well.

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2012

R13, that story has been attributed to SOOO many famous composers, Ravel et al. it must be apocryphal. He was fabulously successful but desired the credentials of a serious composer, so it is surely not far off

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

very hairy hole

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

R12 Presumably you mean "his lovely wife, Ira."

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

Didn't he father an illegitimate son?

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2012

Gershwin's "son" turned out to be a fraud. He got away with it for a while because like all great con stories everybody wanted it to be true.

by Anonymousreply 1811/24/2012

probably, but that isn't uncommon.

he was obsessed with the modernist Arnold Schoenberg

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2012

Donna Summer wanted to fly doubles with Earhart and have dinner with Gershwin.

by Anonymousreply 2011/24/2012

He was straight, of course. Odd for Feinstein to quibble.

I love Ella as much as anyone, but the claims that she is the quinessential interpreter of Gershwin was naive. She tended to approach Gershwin with her "classy Ella" demeanor, which usually meant she sapped the emotional content and focused on a smooth line reading that sounds like an advertisement for sheet music, not a definitive rendition of the songs.

Ella always was better when she let her hair down and dropped the society act. The latter is what led to the accusations of her sounding like she was looking for change in her purse. Gershwin, the interpreter of black jazz through a Tin Pan Alley milieu, applied careful compositional study (sometimes too careful) but always was accessible to the popular market, and he needed humor and a little bounce to hit the rafters. Elle tended to want to keep her velvet uncrushed when singing him.

by Anonymousreply 2111/24/2012

'Summertime' is the most covered song in musical history. 'Porgy and Bess' is Sondheim's favourite ever work of musical theatre.

by Anonymousreply 2211/24/2012

R9, "The Man That Got Away" is indeed a classic. Pity he got the grammar wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2311/24/2012

R22 Thanks for posting, Fantasia. I see the readin' and writin' lessons paid off.

by Anonymousreply 2411/24/2012

Could he be Rumer Willis' grandfather? His jaw at R10's link.

by Anonymousreply 2511/24/2012

Wasn't George dating Ginger Rogers during the Broadway run of Girl Crazy?

by Anonymousreply 2611/24/2012

From Wikipedia:

Baseline Studio Systems announced in January 2010 that Steven Spielberg may direct a biopic about the composer's life, which is scheduled for release in 2012; 32-year-old American actor Zachary Quinto has been named for the leading role of George Gershwin.

Is that still alive ?

by Anonymousreply 2711/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!