Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Huckabee: GOP “pumped more bullets” into wounded Todd Akin

November 17, 2012

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — At a book signing here, former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee said the GOP has only itself to blame for Todd Akin’s recent loss to Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, who won nearly 55 percent of the vote to the Republican challenger’s 39 percent.

After Akin’s comments about “legitimate rape,” many in the party wanted him off the stage and out of the race. But Huckabee says it was that reaction, and not Akin’s comment, that doomed his campaign: “It was like they not only saw his wounded body on the battlefield but pumped more bullets into him, and then they took what little water and food was left and took it away from him.”

So he has no regrets about supporting Akin?

“Not at all,” Huckabee told me. “I regret the Republican Party’s complete abandonment of Todd Akin.”

“The Republicans did more damage than the Democrats,” he added, and “allowed him to be beaten to death with no money. I attribute his loss more to what was done to him than what he did. His own army jumped all over him and abandoned him, and they didn’t do it quietly, but publicly and excoriatingly.”

Huckabee was far more critical of GOP nominee Mitt Romney, and his post-election comment that President Obama won the election with “gifts” to minorities and the young. “Having grown up poor, I know that poor people aren’t poor because they want to be,” Huckabee told me, joining the long list of Republicans who can’t seem to run away from Romney fast enough. “They’re not on government assistance because they want to be.”

He knew this not only because of his own experience, he said, but from the people he had met “at the bottom of the economy” while working as a pastor, a community volunteer and governor of Arkansas.“Nobody who’s poor wants to be, that’s for sure. There’s a lot of pain out there.”

Will Romney’s comments hurt the future prospects of the Republican Party? Huckabee doesn’t think so. “That’s his own view and not the prevailing view of the rank and file of the Republican Party and all the working-class people who are conservative and Republican,” he said.

When he spoke Thursday morning to an agribusiness breakfast in Wichita, however, Huckabee did criticize the party for mirroring Romney’s view of the not-rich: “I blame Republicans for almost presenting the idea that people who are getting any type of assistance certainly must want to be there,” the Wichita Eagle reported. “And the callousness and the indifference that we communicated with it is a large part, I believe, of the ultimate defeat.”

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

That guy sprayed bullets into the GOP and then shot himself in the face. And God bless him for it. Huckabee is a fucking nut and I'm glad he's not afraid to let that show sometimes. Idiots have this stupid notion that he's way more moderate than he is.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

Ah yes....more of the stupid defending stupid.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

Fuckface Schmuckabee can eat my shit!

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

[quote]But Huckabee says it was that reaction, and not Akin’s comment, that doomed his campaign

Wrong, but thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

They very desperately want the answer to the question, "why did we lose?," not to be: "because your policies and your candidates sucked."

Of course, it is, but they just can't accept that. So, they find any other excuse to blame for their many losses.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

It's strange that he's so insane in his defense of Todd Akin but then says something kind of sensible about Romney's comments.

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

It's always good to see Pubbies having fights with each other.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

I thought I'd be tired of Republican whining and shooting themselves in the foot every time they open their mouths by now. But it keeps getting better and better. The brilliant writers for Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert could not make this stuff up.

I may have missed it but has anyone noted that all this "we're going to secede," "we're going to fire people for supporting Obama," "we're going to move to england" crap is anti-American? Those who are supposedly so proud to be American are going to abandon America when, according to their dire diatribes, this is when (at least their version of) America needs them most? Cowards and anti-americans all of them. Their patriotism is all about meaningless words and cowardly actions.

Anyway, Huckabutt is just the latest asshole in a long line of blithering idiot assholes who will not accept responsibility even though they are always yammering about their party being the party of "personal responsibility."

May they all have the "courage" of the Floridian faggot who killed himself.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

I wonder if that rapist/murderer Huckabee pardoned out of prison to commit more crimes was "legitimate." Fat buffoon.

by Anonymousreply 911/18/2012

Thrilled that the retarded idiot Todd Akin shot bullets into his own campaign! BTW, he had been arrested 8 times for harrassing abortion clinics under the name William Akin. Ugly and stupid, good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

Huckabee never talks like this when he's on Jon Stewart. There he's a "principled" conservative who just has a different view.

He really needs to be taken to task for this crap by Stewart, Colbert, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

I think Huckabee has finished off any remaining shot he had at being President.

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.