Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rufus as Judy

He's no Jim Bailey.

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012

Wasn't the point to impersonate La Judy. I think he's tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

What's the point? Was he bringing Judy to the hipsters? They read NME, Rufus. They won't 'get it'.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

He did it to both show his love for the Carnegie Hall and to send it up. Plus to show off his technical prowess at being able to do it. He said he wouldn't do it again because "it's fucking hard."

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

Jesus, he's a mess. When is the overdose scheduled?

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

I can't stand him. He doesn't have a good voice and he's not talented. He's simply riding the coattails of his parents' fame.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

My only complaint is he should have done it in FULL drag.

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

I think it's kinda cute. He clearly adores Garland and doesn't want her legend to be lost on the younger folks. I can appreciate that. I'm not a great lover of his sound, but I do like his songwriter. Talented fellow.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

He's more famous and successful commercially than his parents.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

r7, he's doing Garland more harm than good by trying to make the homage to her artistry all self-aware and ironic just to be hip to his very tedious audience. Judy was about passion, not intellect.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

He has a small group of fans. A very limited audience. He is perpetuating the "gays love poor Judy" idea and it is doing the legacy of Judy Garland no service.

Yes, he is a mess.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

Let me show this bitch how it's done!

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

I actually disagree. I'm not a big fan of his, but I don't think he is hurting the Garland legend. Seeing him do these things might spur someone younger on to check out the real thing, and Garland is obviously going to blow them away in comparison to the pale imitation that Wainwright gives. Yes, Judy is about passion and giving it your all. And that's exactly why she'll always be the best that ever was.

by Anonymousreply 1211/17/2012

I think it's an interesting performance art movie.

Oh, and R11, your link is hysterical. How much do you bet that Tammy taught her the entire choreography and lent her the wardrobe from his own personal collection? Bad move on the part of someone who's trying to deflect gay rumors away from her husband when she's performing one of the most obvious drag performances in recent years.

by Anonymousreply 1311/17/2012

I hate his laconic vocal style and his pouty smug looking face. Not aging well, and I don't feel sorry that he fell into drugs. Such a cliche. I saw him sitting by himself at 'Barrage' one night about 6 years ago, he couldn't have been more aloof and douchier, crossed leg and all.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2012

Wow, a gay man performing a tribute to Garland. How fresh! How original! No one has thought of that before!

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

Tell Me Something Good

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

He's no Justin Vivian Bond.

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

Gawd he's AWFUL! Precious, and dull while often singing FLAT, all at the same time! He's certainly busy! Judy would cringe watching his utter lackluster quality!

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!