Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The Democrats are now up to 200 seats in the House of Representatives

Ron Barber (D-AZ) was declared elected earlier today by the Associated Press in Gabrielle Giffords' former seat.

The number could go as high as 201 if the final undeclared seat is determined in their favor.

Republicans currently have 234 seats.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 4011/18/2012

We're back to an all-blue delegation from New England.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 111/17/2012

The 2 Republican seats in New Hampshire went Democratic, yes, R1, although there is 1 Republican in Maryland, which is sometimes considered part of New England.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 211/17/2012

If they could ditch Susan Collins and that horrible Kelly Ayotte, New England would be totally blue.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 311/17/2012

I think the Dems will get to 201 when Mike McIntyre is declared the winner in NC. Republicans gerrymandered the hell out of the districts after they took over the General Assembly in 2010, so if he's reelected, it's a pretty amazing survival story.

And, assuming he wins, I think that would make it a net gain of 8 seats for the Dems. Could have been better, but not too shabby.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 411/17/2012

Can someone explain a clueless European why the democrats won the Senate but not the House? Is it because all the House seats up for grabs were in republican districts?

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 511/17/2012

R5, only one third of the Senate seats are up for re-election every cycle, whereas all of the seats in the House of Representatives are up for re-election at once.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 611/17/2012

Thanks Poll Troll. But then I don't understand why the majority of the American public voted for the democrats in the Presedential election but not in the House election.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 711/17/2012

I think after all the votes are counted and the official results are in we will need about 34 seats to catch them. So we need to target 34 GOP seats that were close this year where they won and start finding candidates to beat their asses. We need to really try to oust Bachmann, Cantor, King, & Ryan in the process. I don't much care about theo ther 30.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 811/17/2012

Poll troll, I have immense respect for you and gratitude for all your posts this year, but New England consists of CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, and ME—and no other states. I'm happy to put your surprising error down to euphoria over the election.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 911/17/2012

R7, because the house seats are in specific congressional districts. After the 2010 census, and with the Republicans in charge of the House, they got to draw up the redistricting maps and they made them favor themselves in many of them.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1011/17/2012

Poll Troll -- no one has ever in the history of the United States considered Maryland part of New England. In fact, it's SOUTH of the Mason Dixon line.

I now wonder if you actually know what you're talking about. And to think I once loved you.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1111/17/2012

R7, take a look at the electoral maps which show how counties voted. States that were blue for the electoral college vote still have congressional districts that are quite red.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1211/17/2012

Kelly Ayotte is such a snotty cunt. I think I may hate her even more than Ann.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1311/17/2012

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1411/17/2012

I said Maryland is 'sometimes' considered part of New England because it has a similar voting pattern, particularly in recent years. It has become predominantly Democratic, as has New England, although it is most usually considered part of the Mid Atlantic region.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1511/17/2012

Yeah, okay; Maryland might be considered alongside New England, as well as NY, NJ, etc., because of voting patterns or other reasons, but it's not considered part of New England.

You're the 2012 Poll Troll! You're supposed to know these things!

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1611/17/2012

Hope the Dems take the House, so we can be just like California.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1711/17/2012

[quote] I said Maryland is 'sometimes' considered part of New England because....

Doesn't matter what your reasons are. Maryland is NEVER considered part of New England, because it's NOT PART OF NEW ENGLAND.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1811/17/2012

New York is sometimes considered part of the west coast because it has similar voting patterns with California.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 1911/17/2012

I can't stand to hear Kelly Ayotte or Susan Collins speak. They sound like they should be starring in fibromyalgia commercials.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2011/17/2012

This is how redistricting works. Every ten years we have a national census. Based on the census count in each state, the Congressional district lines are re-drawn. Every ten years.

How is this accomplished? You may ask. The state legislature redraws the district lines based on population distribution, under the supervision of the state supreme court. If the Republicans have a majority in the state legislature, then they will determine how the lines are drawn.

Each political party seeks to draw the district lines to favor their side. There is some criteria for how many people must be included in a district, so it's not as arbitrary as it seems.

When the legislature draws the lines of a congressional district to favor one political party over another it's called "gerrymandering."

Members of the Lower House, the House of Representatives, are elected every two years. Members of the Upper House, the United States Senate, are elected every six years. Representatives are referred to as Congressmen.

In the 2012 Presidential election, even though more Democrats voted, the district elections were gerrymandered to favor Republican candidates.

If you want more information on how criteria is established or on the details of redistricting, which also has to be approved by each state's supreme court, then you should look it up in the US Constitution or Wiki. Hope this helps our Non-American DL'ers.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2111/17/2012

R10 doesn't know what they're talking about. Redistricting has nothing to do with the US House of Reps but rather the state legislatures in those states, that is if they don't have a non-partisan redistricting commission like California, Minnesota, etc.

Since 2010 was a wave election with the Governorships going heavily to the Republicans in blue states like Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, New Mexico, Nevada, etc, the legislatures were able to gerrymander the hell out of their districts. Considering that this will be in effect for the next decade, this is likely why the Dems will not win the House until at least 2022 (2020 will be a presidential election year where turnout will be high unlike the 2010 midterms), and thus prevent any real progress from happening due to the GOP obstruction.

The only big saving grace was the state of Illinois which gerrymandered districts in favor of the Dems and ousted several GOP teabaggers Walsh, Schilling, Biggert, Dold, etc.

R21 is helpful.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2211/17/2012

House Democrats got more votes than House Republicans.

The only reason the House didn't go to the Democrats is due to the extreme gerrymandering the Republicans have done.

In other words, "cheating".

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2311/17/2012

But highly predictable cheating. It was obvious that this was at stake in 2010 but Democrats did not get the troops out.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2411/18/2012

I was complaining about the gerrymandering in NC earlier (the current House delegation is 7 Dems/6 Reps, but in January will become 4 Dems/9 Reps), but from what I understand the most outrageous example is what Repubs did in Pennsylvania. I read an article last year that called PA the "Gerrymander of the Decade."

The 2010 midterms were devastating.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2511/18/2012

Notice how TV called Congress for the Republicans before any votes were in and without taking any exit polls. Probably another stolen election.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2611/18/2012

The Dems gained 8 net House seats from Republicans this year, of which 4 were in California. Too bad the rest of the country did not do its job.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2711/18/2012

Voting patterns notwithstanding, essentially no one considers it part of New England. In fact, some people still consider it part of the South, including the US Census Bureau and many Eastern Marylanders.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2811/18/2012

Maryland could be considered part of the northeast, but it is definitively not New England. New York is not New England.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 2911/18/2012

Maryland is a mid-atlantic state. Maybe pre 1900 was considered southern. The New England states are Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3011/18/2012

[quote]he Dems will not win the House until at least 2022

A lot of people really haven't accepted this point. The 2010 election was a disaster for the Dems for that reason, it is incredibly unlikely they will be able to take over the house until 2022 as you said. That is a huge deal and why it is imperative that we maintain the Senate.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3111/18/2012

So Poll Troll made a little mistake.

Did some of you not get enough attention as kids, or what?

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3211/18/2012

The interesting thing about the Republican gerrymandering is that in the long run, it can hurt them. Yes, they created a lot of "safe" Republican districts. However, since the candidates in those districts don't have to appeal to Independents or Democrats, they are pushed farther to the right by the extremists, fearing a primary fight. Boehner has less and less influence, as their seats are safe. As Speaker, he will have to reach out to moderates to put together any type of vote. The split in the GOP will become worse.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3311/18/2012

And just whom do you think the State Legislatures get their marching orders from, R22?

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3411/18/2012

How in the hell is Maryland considered part of New England???

That said, I think Silver's prediction that the Democrats won't be able to re-take the house is off base.

Of those 34 seats, more than HALF are up for re-election in 2014.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3511/18/2012

The Democrats have to really push hard to get a Democratic House. It's not unwinnable but it will be an uphill climb. They have to hold the gains they've made and get about 20-30 seats elsewhere.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3611/18/2012

r35, ALL House seats are up for reelection in 2014, and most of the time the president's party loses net seats in a mid-term election.

I hope the DCCC has a plan.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3711/18/2012

Don't forget that part of the reason 2010 was. a "wave" was because a lot elf Dems stayed home to send Obama a message that if he ignored the base, the base would ignore him. It clearly worked; literally, within days he actually started doing things that the Dems wanted (DADT) and continued throughout the rest of the first term. I lay the 2010 disaster directly at Obama's feet - comfortably shod in his non-walking shoes - nevertheless.

As to including Maryland in a discussion of New England, I've heard this in the past, so Poll Troll isn't wrong to include it as well. It's not just the voting trends there; their crabbing industry more closely resembles New England than, say, Virginian coal mining, or farming peaches and peanuts in Georgia. And you have to remember that half of the country can't pick out Maryland on a map, even one with labels. And Martin O'Malley is a stud.

Since this is a random post... The pickup of the House seat in AZ means that they, land-o-crazy redness, sent all Dems to the House in this election. That speaks volumes regarding the changing racial composition in the Southwest.

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3811/18/2012

just wait till 2014....

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 3911/18/2012

I'll be back, bitches!

by 2012 Poll Trollreply 4011/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!