Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is NYC back to normal?

Did all of the Red Cross dollars take care of everything?

by Anonymousreply 6311/29/2012

No, you insensitive bastard.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

Yep, it's fine. Until the next storm, that is.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

People would rather be homeless, hungry and freezing than have to interact with white people, I guess, according to the NYT.

But the breastfeeding frau really is a scourge.

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

Nope not back to normal by a long shot. Bloomberg will never let you know it though.

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

R4, can you describe some of the ways it is not back to normal?

Is lower Manhattan back to normal?

I know Coney Island, the Rockaways, and Staten Island (especially housing and high rise apts) are not back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

Is it my imagination or is there a sort of national media blackout on the conditions in NYC?

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

No. The PATH trains from the WTC are still closed. I suspect there was enormous flooding at the WTC that has not been publicized. Businesses in the Wall St. area that have been able to open have been hit hard by the lack of customers. Some office buildings still have no power and some residential buildings are still evacuated.

Of course you'd better not ask that question on Staten Island or the barrier islands off Long Island. They will cut you.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

NJ & NY won't be recoved come this time next year.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

R6, no national media blackout at all.

The nightly news (all three major networks) are still having stories on it.

Cable channels are still regularly covering it - including Anderson Cooper's 360, CNN in general, MSNBC, FOX, and The Weather Channel.

NYPost.com, NYDailyNews.com, NY Times, Daily Mail (UK) online - all cover regularly and the NYPost and NYDailyNews.com have tons of photos.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

One of the PATH trains opened on Thurs or Friday this week.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

No. Donald Trump is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

NYC has nor been "normal" since 1963

by Anonymousreply 1211/17/2012

Still no PATH service to Hoboken or World Trade Center.

by Anonymousreply 1311/17/2012

R14,you are absolutely right

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

Yes, OP. Counsuela is back to showing up to work on time thanks to the Red Cross. And my reminder that she'd have an easier time swimming from Queens than Cuba (after I send an anonymous tip to ICE).

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2012

No, NYC is not close to normal. And the Red Cross is a vile, corrupt organization. Donate to the local charities.

by Anonymousreply 1711/17/2012

R17, please explain further how it is not back to normal.

I stated upthread how I know that people in the Rockaways, Coney Island, and Staten Island are in bad shape.

Any other ways or area not back to normal?

by Anonymousreply 1811/17/2012

The Red Cross is not vile or corrupt. If you want corruption--give to a small local charity where no one pays attention to the money.

by Anonymousreply 1911/17/2012

I live in one of the outer boros that was flooded. The Red Cross gave me a baloney sandwich. It's horrible here, just horrible. I still have no heat. My basement is moldy. FEMA was fine except for the REM they gave me.

by Anonymousreply 2011/17/2012

South Street Seaport was in dark and evacuated as of five days ago.

by Anonymousreply 2111/17/2012

Many people in lower Manhattan are ustill out of their homes. Businesses are still closed. Transportation problems abound, with many from the outer boroughs and Long Island dealing with 2.5 hour commutes. I live in Westchester and power was just restored to my town last weekend.

by Anonymousreply 2211/17/2012

R18, Alphabet City was flooded and many businesses there are still not functioning. Many residents still do not have heat. Bellevue and NYU are still a mess and there is a lot of talk about staff layoffs because they need so much money to for repairs. There were a lot of burglaries in my neighborhood during the power blackout, especially in the buildings with electronic doorlocks which left buildings open to all. Many of us only got phone and internet service back a day ago due to a massive Verizon outage due to the storm.

These problems don't compare to the issues Queens, Staten Island and NJ face but this is why my neighborhood has not gone back to normal. And according to my work colleagues in Queens in the most devastated areas, the Red Cross response has been minimal to none.

by Anonymousreply 2311/17/2012

The Red Cross has almost 9,000 people in from around the country, but the storm has affected such a wide area (10 states plus DC and Puerto Rico) that it's impossible to be everywhere at once. The Red Cross is focused on providing people with food, clothing and shelter in the aftermath of a disaster. Long-term recovery assistance is provided by FEMA.

by Anonymousreply 2411/17/2012

Well let me see, is NOLA back to normal? Let's check.

Nope not yet. I don't think things will ever be the same so there will have to be a new normal.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2012

The City is in the process of tearing down 400 houses deemed unsafe. 500 more are being assessed.

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2012

[quote] No. The PATH trains from the WTC are still closed. I suspect there was enormous flooding at the WTC that has not been publicized

After the December Nor'easter of 1992, friends of mine who lived two blocks from WTC were without cooking gas for months. They were young and used a microwave and got a Smokey Joe for their balcony. Believe it or not, a lot do old people did not have microwaves. Meals on wheels was down there for months and there was no media coverage at all. There were frequent blackouts when Con Ed was working on the gas pipes.

OT - My in-laws were given a microwave by a home health aide back in 2003. They didn't see any reason to spend money on a newfangled cooking machine and the nurse's aid got tired of handing the wife her lunch to heat up. The wife would put the oven on warm and yak and yak and yak while occasionally saying, "It's not ready yet." When a friend of the HHA bought a new microwave, she took the old one and brought it to the in laws house as a "gift."

This was in Queens, NY, not Appalachia. I have to admit, my in laws are abnormally cheap, but I can undersysnd a lot of old people not having microwaves 20 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2012

There's an article in today's NY Post about how the MRE's the city is giving out are loaded with fat, sodium, sugar and calories. Bloomberg's office responded that they are not meant to be a long-term solution.

In other Sandy news, the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel will reopen tomorrow. The R train betweem Brooklyn & Manhattan will be out for several more weeks.

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

New York is a bunch of drama queens. You got hit by a hurricane and some of you still don't have power. The same thing happens every year somewhere on the gulf coast. The difference is there's nowehre near the crying down south. People know from experience that cleanup will be very tough and that power will be out in some areas for weeks. Put your handkerchiefs away New York and work together to get through it. Stop thinking the whole contry should come to a standstill becuase most of you were too stupid to fill up your gas tanks beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

NYC never was and never will be "back to normal" with all the crazies lounging there.

As for the poor refugees, no they are NOT all right. Many still do not have power, food or fresh water! While others have been taken away by the Army to live in these big white tents, surrounded by barbed wire and army militia on guard 24/7.

The news media has, naturally, forgotten the 'cane Sandy refugees and that's why you think the "problem" is over! It's NOT and it's not going away!

Give them your money you're going to waste on Black Friday. Give them your Thanksgiving dinner.

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

What's this "electricity" everyone keeps bitching about?

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2012

The Red Cross has historically used disasters to raise money. They arrive a day late and with meagre supplies and a lot of fanfare, at disaster sites in Queens, Long Island, and Staten Island, and everyone tells you to donate and thanks them for a great job.

But when I see POTUS, or last night, Chris Christie on SNL thanking the Red Cross and all the "first responders" I get so pissed. Local charities have stepped up and are doing a heroic job. Local churches, neighborhood organizations and it is amazing.

These people are serving meals, giving out clothes and blankets. I mean a lot of these kids are staying in shelters, and have no clothes to go back to school, or deal with winter.

So yeah, go on line and find some legitimate local organizations, and when you think about thanking "first responders" please include the local organizations helping with clean up, sheltering, and feeding and clothing people.

For example:Occupy Wall Street has turned into a Hurrican Relief organization and they are doing incredible work. If you're not too busy this Thanksgiving, maybe you want to find a place to volunteer.

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

[quote]The difference is there's nowehre near the crying down south. People know from experience that cleanup will be very tough and that power will be out in some areas for weeks.

I think the difference is the coastline was woefully unprepared for a hurricane.

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2012

[quote]Why is fixing people's houses the government's problem?

Because that's what the American people want.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

First, R30, I don't believe New York is exhibiting very much crying. Second, you point out that the Gulf's stoicism is due to experience. NYC has no experience, so why would New Yorkers possess your hard-won wisdom?

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

Check out this URL for news and photo updates of the refugees (link about the Rockaways).

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

I own waterfront property in Queens. My basement flooded and destroyed the entire electrical board and heating equipment that was down there. A quick fix enabled me to restore power to some of my tenants but not all.

My tenants pay good rent and it was my first priority to get everything back to normal for them asap. The anger and belligerence directed at me from my tenants is something I will never forget. They acted as if my actions had caused this to happen and that I had no interest in fixing the problem.

Repairs we completed on Thursday at considerable cost to me but I consider myself fortunate compared to so many others. Not my tenants, they are a bunch of entitled assholes who have no idea that others are enduring so much worse. Pieces of crap, all of them.

Thats one thing going on in nyc

by Anonymousreply 3811/18/2012

[quote]NYC has no experience

Well, they do now, and they better get used to it

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2012

I have to say I have no sympathy for people who build right on the water. I was watching the Long Island medium lady show and she went to see a family in I think Copiague. They were sitting right next to a canal they'd built there house on with a boat in the canal as if it was a watery driveway.

Dude, my family has been on LI for 300 years. We've NEVER built close to the water. It's common sense. The fucking Montauk light house is practically falling into the ocean. Water comes up in a storm and we get storms. We're a pile of sand and stones from the last Ice Age out in the Atlantic Ocean. Get real. Sooner or later, your house on the water is going to be destroyed, after it floods countless times and the govt picks up the cleaning bill.

They've been warning us for years that we were overdue for a Hurricane of 38-type event. If you want the good part of living on the water, then take the bad part too and just deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 4011/18/2012

[quote] Bellevue and NYU are still a mess and there is a lot of talk about staff layoffs because they need so much money to for repairs

NYUMC has plenty of money, believe me.

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2012

[quote]NYC has no experience

Bullshit!

Here's a list of 84 hurricanes/tropical storms that have hit New York.

And experts have been warning of this exact storm path (for a CAT 3) for decades now.

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012

Fact: The people living in New York City have no experience with a devastating hurricane. Inept attempt at spin, R33. Republican?

by Anonymousreply 4311/18/2012

As long as Miss Bloomberg is back to normal on East 79th, all is well with the City.

by Anonymousreply 4411/18/2012

NYU Medical has tons of $$$ from Langone, the founder of The Home Depot.

by Anonymousreply 4511/18/2012

At least Bloomberg is smart enough not to live on the water. His primary residence, that is.

His house in Bermuda could be hit with hurricanes 100 times and he could rebuild it without blinking an eye.

by Anonymousreply 4611/19/2012

I'm doing just fine, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 4711/19/2012

Well from my perspective, there are a lot of immigrants or second and thriud generations, living in NYC, and they've had experience with floods hurricanes cyclones, earthquakes, wars, bombs falling, and all sorts of natural and manmade catastrophes.

We have people from the islands, like Puerto Rico, Haiti, Cuba, Dominican Republic, and all that for sure, but we also have Filippinos, Indians, Pakistanis, Arabs, Mexicans, Russiams of all types, Asians, etc.

Something like this happens, they roll up their sleeves and get busy. They help their neighbors, they work at cleaning up, they volunteer at shelters, and they don't even call it "volunteering." They make do without complaint and they reach out to their neighbors.

It's the history of our immigrant population's experience that sustains us and gives us a toughness. I see an obvious contrast to some of our transients from the fly over states who've come to seek their fortune and aren't accustomed to anything greater than a power outage that lasts for a day or two.

People complain about how inefficient NYC is, and take for granted our mass transit, and all the other stuff that operates with few glitches, until it's not there. I am sorry that there are people who are unappreciative of what others do for them, but they aren't the ones I have seen. I am proud of my city and the people who live here and I love their attitude. We'll get thru this.

by Anonymousreply 4811/19/2012

my glove leather chairs all ruined

by Anonymousreply 4911/19/2012

[quote]Well from my perspective, there are a lot of immigrants or second and thriud generations, living in NYC, and they've had experience with floods hurricanes cyclones, earthquakes, wars, bombs falling, and all sorts of natural and manmade catastrophes.

Ultimately, we're all related and our ancestors have experienced every catastrophe in history, so we should each be prepared for anything.

[quote]Something like this happens, they roll up their sleeves and get busy. They help their neighbors, they work at cleaning up, they volunteer at shelters, and they don't even call it "volunteering." They make do without complaint and they reach out to their neighbors.

This happens everywhere. It is human nature.

by Anonymousreply 5011/19/2012

My D'Agostinos hasn't had the crabmeat I really like since before the storm.

The UES is a world of pain, for now.

by Anonymousreply 5111/19/2012

Some of our ancestors were natural born looters

by Anonymousreply 5211/20/2012

I was watching g NOVA Sunday night and it said a Con Ed station on the West Side Highway exploded. I thought it was the 14th Street station off the FDR Drive?

by Anonymousreply 5311/20/2012

Will there be bigtime renovations or just some shoddy patchwork?

by Anonymousreply 5411/20/2012

R53, you're correct and NOVA was wrong.

by Anonymousreply 5511/20/2012

FYI, you can watch NOVA's special presentation of Hurricane Sandy on PBS's website. Be forewarned -- the real NYC and NJ has more deez dem and doze characters than the on Law and Order (as we call it in NY, Lawn Awdah). If you have never been surrounded by the accents of Staten Island, Queens, Brooklyn and Lawn Guylint befaw, it can be very jarring to the ears.

by Anonymousreply 5611/20/2012

Did you know that it was a weather center in Reading UK which predicted Sandy would hit NY and NJ days before NOAA did?

Did you further know its because assholes like Rick Santorum want to privatize weather forecasting, so they underfunded NOAA? These GOP assholes also don't want to know about climate change, another reason for underfunding NOAA.

The computers in Europe are more powerful than ours because the European countries actually fund important things like climate and weather prediction. We have the money to do it in the US. Our politicians won't give the money to people like NOAA who protect us just like our military protect us.

by Anonymousreply 5711/20/2012

I apologize for my horrible grammar and spelling. I have a terrible backache. I took Percocet and Voltaren, but it's not helping. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 5811/20/2012

I hope you feel better, R57.

by Anonymousreply 5911/20/2012

R48 is so racist.

by Anonymousreply 6011/20/2012

It's still pretty fucked up. It's a month today.

by Anonymousreply 6111/29/2012

What We Know About Superstorm Sandy a Month Later

By By The Associated Press

November 29, 2012 (AP)

Superstorm Sandy wreaked havoc on parts of the U.S. East Coast a month ago Thursday after tearing through the Caribbean. In the weeks since, the storm's scope has come into sharper focus.

DEATHS

Sandy killed at least 125 people in the United States. That includes 60 in New York — 48 of them in New York City — 34 in New Jersey and 16 in Pennsylvania. At least seven people died in West Virginia, where the storm dropped heavy snow. Sandy killed 71 people in the Caribbean, including 54 in Haiti.

LOSSES

Sandy is being blamed for about $62 billion in damage and other losses in the U.S., the vast majority of it in New York and New Jersey, a number that could increase. It's the second-costliest storm in U.S. history after 2005's Hurricane Katrina, which caused $128 billion in damage in inflation-adjusted dollars. Sandy caused at least $315 million in damage in the Caribbean.

DAMAGE

Sandy damaged or destroyed homes and businesses, more than 72,000 in New Jersey alone. In New York, 305,000 housing units were damaged or destroyed and more than 265,000 businesses affected. In Cuba, the number of damaged homes has been estimated at 130,000 to 200,000.

DISASTER AID

New York is seeking $42 billion in federal aid, including about $9 billion for projects to head off damage in future storms. New Jersey is seeking nearly $37 billion in aid, including $7.4 billion for future projects. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg met with congressional leaders Wednesday to encourage quick action on storm aid.

MAGNITUDE

The National Hurricane Center now says tropical force winds extended 820 miles at their widest, down from an earlier estimate of 1,000 miles. Sandy's pure kinetic energy for storm surge and wave "destruction potential" reached a 5.8 on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's 0 to 6 scale, the highest measured.

DOWN THE ROAD

Governments are seeking money to help head off future disasters, as climate scientists continue to predict rising sea levels and the potential for more bad storms. In New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants electrical transformers in commercial buildings hauled to upper floors; the ability to shutter key tunnels, airports and subways; and to require hospitals to have backup power on high ground instead of on lower floors or in basements.

———

Sources: State and local governments, NOAA, AP reporting

by Anonymousreply 6211/29/2012

I was surprised to read most of the deaths were in NYC. The news seemed to talk mostly about New Jersey.

by Anonymousreply 6311/29/2012
Need more help? Click Here.