Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Camille Paglia on why Star Wars is high art

Camille Paglia is concerned about an entire generation of technology-savvy youngsters who know nothing about fine art.

The American social critic and provocateur who took on feminism with Sexual Personae and popular culture with Sex, Art and American Culture, turns to the visual art of the ages in her latest book, Glittering Images: A Journey Through Art from Egypt to Star Wars.

A followup to 2005’s Break, Burn, Blow, in which Paglia introduces the uninitiated to poetry, the new book probes the meaning of art and explores why images speak to us across the millennia. It was written as a “user friendly handbook” to introduce a generation to art criticism, she says.

Paglia dismisses most modern art and literature as lacking in passion and emotional intensity.

But as she tells CBC’s Nigel Hunt, she keeps a flame burning for George Lucas, whose Star Wars series has the sweep and ambition she admires in great art.

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013

Paglia is a cunt, but I kind of like her for at least recognizing that the high art/low art distinctions people try to enforce are ridiculous at times.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

Seeing her on WWHL on thursday analyzing the housewives was pretty strange lol. Apparently she's a huge fan of the series.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

I always thought that Star Wars was super stupid.

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

Yeah I was going to say more attention-seeking contrarianism from the loathsome one, but in this case she's right.

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

Her breathless paean to Jacqueline Laurita:

[quote]There was this incredible moment in this season’s culminating episode where they’re all fighting in the parking lot after the Posche fashion show at a Cuban restaurant in West New York. And there’s Jacqueline standing there alone in her sparkly black outfit and drop-dead strappy gold high heels. She looks like a Polynesian idol with her face frozen and tilted upward. It’s a classic Hollywood moment, all internal turmoil under that mask. She looks magnificent! They keep cutting back to her — which is another great example of editing. Whoever is editing those shows has a tremendous sense of drama. These are great soap opera moments!

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

Shouldn't she be writing yet another "Madonna is queen" essays?

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

Paglia knows as much about high art as Rush Limbaugh does...she's a hack.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

I thought she was dead.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

If only.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

She's probably the only student Harold Bloom never propositioned.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

I love that there are people on DL who can crack jokes about Harold Bloom and Naomi Wolf.

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

[quote] A followup to 2005’s Break, Burn, Blow, in which Paglia introduces the uninitiated to poetry

I misread this as "introduced urination into poetry."

What's WWHL?

by Anonymousreply 1211/17/2012

R12 Watch What Happens Live...a silly show at 11 pm that Andy Cohen hosts on Bravo on which he'll have a guest or 2 and talk about whatever Bravo shows were on that night.

and also apparently Paglia has a crush on Tamra Barney wtf lolz

by Anonymousreply 1311/17/2012

I don't understand why Star Wars has become the end-all-be-all of pop culture. Try watching a sitcom one night. There's at least one Star Wars reference in every episode.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2012

Have you seen recent photos of her? All that coke she did in the 90s and all the drinking and smoking she's done have not been kind to her.

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2012

Here's a close-up of her recently:

by Anonymousreply 1711/17/2012

Rockin' the Leather Tuscadero look.

by Anonymousreply 1811/17/2012

She was semi attractive at one time. That time is no more.

by Anonymousreply 1911/17/2012

I always wondered what Bill Wyman was up to these days

by Anonymousreply 2011/17/2012

Wow r17, she couldn't even score at Michfest.

by Anonymousreply 2111/17/2012

I get that she's aged and she's a lush. I don't get why she can't have her hair done if she's going to be on TV. It would be one thing if she weren't obsessed with beauty and glamor, but she is. Her hair looks like she doesn't even comb it.

by Anonymousreply 2211/17/2012

The way she describes Jacqueline Laurita is hilarious. She's as delusional about that bitch as she is about that Star Wars tripe.

by Anonymousreply 2311/17/2012

She's repellant, but fascinating, the way a trainwreck is. before she wrote her book that made her famous, she kept getting fired from jobs (including at Bennington) for being physically threatening toward, or even actually beating up, people who disagreed with her (students and faculty both).

by Anonymousreply 2411/17/2012

Paglia is a cow who needs a good Fuck.

by Anonymousreply 2502/02/2013

[quote]Paglia is a cow who needs a good Fuck.

Ugh,... given those photos that's not going to be happening anytime.

by Anonymousreply 2602/02/2013

blah, blah, blah Damn kids get off my lawn!

by Anonymousreply 2702/02/2013

I would give her one!

by Anonymousreply 2802/02/2013

Whore masters biatch.

by Anonymousreply 2902/02/2013

Does anyone really even care anymore about the ravings of this drug addled alcoholic old snatch?

by Anonymousreply 3002/02/2013

Camille is often silly but always interesting. She spins out idea after idea and sometimes they are very good idea.

She is also a prominent public intellectual, like it or not.

So why are you queens discussing her looks?

by Anonymousreply 3102/02/2013

"A cow who needs a good fuck"

Will you hateful bastards check your misogyny once and for all?!?

by Anonymousreply 3202/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.