Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How much do Professors make?

I am contemplating a PhD track with the ultimate goal of teaching at a college level (as opposed to straight research). How much do professors make, at the top of their game?

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

Well, yes, I suppose you would want to avoid research if you're the sort to ask this question on DL.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

It really depends on where you end up teaching. Very well known profs in my humanities department make 130+ (large public R1 university), but my adviser, who is 52, just cracked 70k this year. I would expect that liberal arts colleges pay less.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

From my experience in a college town, the big money is in consulting. Once they've established themselves, professors in any sort of scientific or commercial field can make much more than their salaries through consulting and speaking in their fields.

Does not apply to the humanities.

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

If you end up teaching at a community college you may start out around 35-40K a year and build up to 50-60k as a full professor. You start out as an instructor and can be promoted to assistant professor, associate professor, and then full professor.

You can also move up to administration and be an associate dean making 70k +.

Community colleges have huge teaching loads and hardly any time for research though.

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

Not enough. Don't do it for the money.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

How much do teachers at St. Ann's in Brooklyn make?

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.