Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Which pop stars, from any era, had the most dynamic voice?

I would guess Whitney or Streisand, but I'm sure DL queens will school me. Is it just range that makes a voice great? Tone? Phrasing?

(I know nothing about singing, so I preemptively apologize for my stupidity)

by Anonymousreply 60209/11/2014

Phyllis Hyman, esp. "You know How to Love Me". If I knew how to embed the YouTube thingy I would, but I don't so do yourself a favor and find it.

by Anonymousreply 111/17/2012

Gladys Knight owns.

Bow down, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 211/17/2012

Freddie Mercury, who could credibly sing in any genre from soul ("Somebody to Love") to rockabilly ("Crazy Little Thing Called Love") to rock ("We Will Rock You") and so on...

by Anonymousreply 311/17/2012

Karen Carpenter

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

Aretha

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

R1 YES. Phyllis had such a stunning voice and could do so much with it. Her phrasing, tone and just everything were amazing.

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

Phyllis is everything

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

Aretha, followed by Barbara Streisand

by Anonymousreply 811/18/2012

The divine Sarah Vaughn

by Anonymousreply 911/18/2012

Who was the lead singer for The Hollies? I've always loved his voice:

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

Aretha, Patti, Gladys, Chaka, Whitney, Anita, Toni, Brandy, Mary J, Donna, Phyllis, Jennifer Holiday, Aaliyah, Beyonce, Patrice, Natalie, Diana.

Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

r3 nails it.

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

Cyndi Lauper. She has the range and genre switching ability of Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

Dusty Springfield in her prime. Compare "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" to "In The Land of Make Believe".

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

I can't believe no one has mentioned Mark McGrath from Sugar Ray.

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

My fav singers are Cat Power and Neko case, both have extremely charismatic voices, as does Nina Simone, but add flawless technical ability and vocal charisma and you Sarah Vaughan.

What is so heartbreaking is, if Cowell and his bunch of low brow brain dead hangers-on heard this they'd think it's almost underwhelming, but Vaughan is widely considered to have the greatest voice of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

Cleo Laine

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

I always thought Annie Lenox was a great vocalist.

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012

Kate Bush, Shirley Bassey, Donna Summer.

by Anonymousreply 1911/18/2012

Peggy Lee had a crystal clear voice, so beautiful.

Tracy Thorn, has such a hypnotic subdued vocal.

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

Peggy Lee had a small voice, not very dynamic.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

Adam Lambert. Hear him live. Range. Control. Heart. Fearlessness.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

Ella belongs on any list of great singers. Power is not everything in a voice -- phrasing is also important. Listen to her Songbooks series (Porter, Arlen, Rogers, etc) and be dazzled by her clarity, phrasing and the effortlessness of her voice.

Dinah Washington is another from a similar era who could sing the classics, jazz, pop, and cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

For pop music it would almost just have to be Freddie Mercury. I can't think of anyone else who has his range.

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2012

Connie Francis. Appealed to teens and adults and had worldwide audiences.

by Anonymousreply 2511/18/2012

i have always said george michael has a great voice, jim morrison (baritone :) ) and lastly, bono. i know we tend to think of women in this case but lets not overlook the boys. oh and bobby darin!

by Anonymousreply 2611/18/2012

Vikki Carr!!

by Anonymousreply 2711/18/2012

Yma Sumac!

by Anonymousreply 2811/18/2012

I enjoy Yma Sumac as well.

by Anonymousreply 2911/18/2012

Annie Lennox was fun but has very little voice left now.

by Anonymousreply 3011/18/2012

Patsy Cline!!!

by Anonymousreply 3111/18/2012

You "know nothing about singing," OP?

You don't have to know about bullfighting to recognize a great bullfighter.

Esther Blodgett. Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 3211/18/2012

Well, you have Ella Fitzgerald, who was very melodic, and Sarah Vaughan who was very stylistic, and they are classics. On a gloomy Sunday there is no one like Sarah singing Gershwin.

I love Judy. She is in a class all by herself for sheer ability to convey emotion and just get right inside you.Aretha in her prime was also like that. Amazing. You ever hear Aretha sing a ballad with strings for accompaniment and you will not believe how good she was.

But no matter how you may feel about them, Celine Dion, Barbara Streisand, & Whitney are the shit! Whitney's range and her control are beyond compare. No one comes close except for the Babs & Celine.So for me, it's Whitney, but the other two are close.

What all these women have in common are that their voices are musical instruments. Sinatra and Al Jarreau are the only two men I can think of who used their voices so well.

by Anonymousreply 3311/18/2012

Whitney & Celine are completely soulless.

by Anonymousreply 3411/18/2012

I really like Ella Fitzgerald, but she never brought any drama to a song, she always sounded way too happy, which can be great but sometimes I want top wallow in my sadness, for those times it's Chan Marshall or Billie or Morrissey's vocals on How Soon is Now.

by Anonymousreply 3511/18/2012

Yes but no one sings Cole Porter like Ella does. She was a big band singer and she shines. I like to have her music on as I work or at dinner parties. And no, I don't consider myself and "eldergay." I am 46.

by Anonymousreply 3611/18/2012

I agree about Adam Lambert & Freddie Mercury. Definitely put them on the list.

by Anonymousreply 3711/18/2012

I prefer Rosemary Clooney singing Cole Porter. She got the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 3811/18/2012

Sandy Denny has one of the best voices ever. Like Drake her music has not aged one day. A 21 year old could release her music and probably win the Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 3911/18/2012

Phyllis! She could do r&b, soul, gospel, jazz, disco, commercial jingles...and her voice would have been fine for rock or even country. She could adapt to anything.

by Anonymousreply 4011/18/2012

Phyllis didn't have a wide vocal range, though.

by Anonymousreply 4111/18/2012

My favorites are Chaka Khan and Michael Jackson if we are talking strictly pop. The others Aretha, Patti, Whitney etc are great, but those two put me on another planet with how they can convey a feeling through their voices. IMO being a great vocalist is not all about the acrobatics of what you can do, but how well you can translate an exact feeling from lyrics to sound that people can relate to.

There are a lot of vocalists that are/were not technically pop artists that have a similar effect for me- Jeffrey Osborne, Stephanie Mills, Ronald Isley, David Ruffin, Anita Baker. Some of the even newer artists, Faith Evans, Jill Scott, Maxwell, Sam Sparro.

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012

Eddi Reader

by Anonymousreply 4311/18/2012

Melissa Cross claims that Tom Jones had the best voice in popular music.

by Anonymousreply 4411/18/2012

r44

Christopher's wife?

by Anonymousreply 4511/18/2012

I would put Mariah at #1 for pop. Her voice is the most versatile and no one could pull off all the variations that she did.

Vision of Love (amazing notes) Dreamlover (laid back pop but incredible vocals) Fantasy (Pop R&B) All of her other ballads, plus she can pull off uptempo and slow R&B. She has sung with everyone from Pavarotti to Jay Z. That about sums it up.

by Anonymousreply 4611/18/2012

kd lang

by Anonymousreply 4711/18/2012

I hate the vocal gymnastic style that is now so prevalent in music, it's just so vulgar. Totally unlistenable. The voice has become so narcissistic and has no regard for the melody or emotional heart of the song.

why don't they just sing, LISTEN HOW GREAT MY VOICE IS, IT'S ALL ME ME ME ME MY VOICE IS AWESOME, FUCK THE SONG, IT'S ALL ABOUT MY VOICE!!!

by Anonymousreply 4811/18/2012

Kelly Clarkson can sing any fucking thing and make it sound really good. She doesn't get the recognition she deserves.

by Anonymousreply 4911/18/2012

I agree completely about today's popular "vocal gymnastic style" ... it is indeed vulgar.

And it all started with Whitney Huston's version of "I Will Always Love You".

That recording was the end of good singing. It started the trend.

by Anonymousreply 5011/18/2012

Kelly Clarkson has the most versatile and powerful voice in the industry right now.

by Anonymousreply 5111/18/2012

R51

Uh

We'd like to clear our throats now.

Is that alright?

Hope you don't mind.

Ahem!

by Anonymousreply 5211/18/2012

R17 Cleo ! I had all of her albums, went to many of her concerts, met her and John several times. I know I was just one of her fans but got a Christmas card from Cleo and John every Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 5411/18/2012

Like, Becky Black is so, like, totally, the best singer who, like, sings today.

by Anonymousreply 5511/18/2012

r50, while I agree that the vocal gymnastics that exist today are truly abysmal, I disagree that Whitney's "I Will Always Love You" is that bad -- Whitney could do the vocal gymanistics (the technical term is melisma) but used it in reserve and judiciously. The real blame lies with Mariah Carey, a vocalist with considerable range but no control whatsoever, who has always caterwauled her way through every song -- today's singers (and not just the women, the men do it too) are practically competing to "out-sing" each other. It's disgraceful.

by Anonymousreply 5611/18/2012

Dusty Springfield

Barbra Streisand

Melissa Manchester

Patti Austin

Dinah Washington

Luther Vandross

Phoebe Snow

by Anonymousreply 5711/18/2012

Dorothy Squires is underrated in the States. Shirley Bassey has said she owes a lot of her vocal style to her.

by Anonymousreply 5811/18/2012

Barbra Streisand

Donna Summer

Diana Ross

Kate Bush

Whitney Houston

Natalie Cole

Laura Brannigan

Patsy Cline

Karen Carpenter

by Anonymousreply 5911/18/2012

Kate Bush? wtf that wack and weirdo bitch went off-key and had pitch problems in plenty of her songs and does not belong in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 6011/18/2012

I thought Whitney used the vocal gymnastics perfectly on All the Man I Need, but urn on X-Factor or Idol and the true negative effects of vocal gymnastics are really highlighted. Thankfully Adele is fighting the trend.

by Anonymousreply 6111/18/2012

R45 She is the Zen of Screaming woman.

by Anonymousreply 6211/18/2012

I agree 100% with [r50] ~ Huge culprit is Celine Dion who is basically a mimic when she sings in English, e.g. If You Asked Me To. Sometimes she sounds more like Streisand than Streisand does. I wonder who she would sound like had she listened to male Anglophone singers.

by Anonymousreply 6311/18/2012

Nina Simone had a style of her own, same with Billie Holiday. But, Nina sounded too much like a man.

I understand the tributes to Whitney, but Donna Summer was just a great singer too, and didn't abuse drugs. Donna should get a tribute too.

by Anonymousreply 6411/18/2012

No Mariah? I feel that Mariah ruined other singers by starting that awful yodeling that every male and female singer tries to do.

by Anonymousreply 6511/18/2012

A lot of elder gay opera/jazz elitists on this thread. Nina Simone called...oh wait, she's dead.

by Anonymousreply 6611/18/2012

So, if who had the biggest range among the greats?

by Anonymousreply 6711/18/2012

Peggy Lee and Frank Sinatra could do just about anything very well but sing opera--big band, jazz, pop.

Most important, they made the lyrics sound as if they had lived what was happening in the song.

by Anonymousreply 6811/18/2012

R64 Donna most certainly did abuse drugs but cleaned up in the 80s and was clean from then on until her death. There's an infamous story that a very high Donna passed out while she and Barbra were recording "No More Tears (Enough Is Enough)".

by Anonymousreply 6911/18/2012

roy orbison

by Anonymousreply 7011/18/2012

Skeeter Davis

by Anonymousreply 7111/18/2012

Lea Michelle puts them all to shame.

by Anonymousreply 7211/18/2012

The late Teena Marie was criminally underrated. She had a fantastic voice, and so many great songs (she wrote and produced all of her own material) and she should've been a huge pop star in the 80s. Unfortunately, she never really crossed over into the mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 7311/18/2012

Dusty

Aretha

Gladys

Barbra

Linda

by Anonymousreply 7411/18/2012

R69 is correct. Donna Summer was a drug user and a cigarette smoker in the 70s but quit everything when she had her religious freak-out in the early 80s and stayed clean for the rest of her life.

Donna could sing beautifully in any genre. She was so much more than just disco.

by Anonymousreply 7511/18/2012

I love Roy Orbison, and will add Jackie (Lonely Teardrops) Wilson to the mix. Awesome voice.

by Anonymousreply 7611/18/2012

George Michael

by Anonymousreply 7711/18/2012

Phyllis Hyman-Living All Alone.

This song will give you goosebumps. She was a stellar interpreter of song. She was Clive's 'Whitney' before Whitney. The whistling at the end of the song is genius.

by Anonymousreply 7811/18/2012

Boys: Freddie Mercury, George Michael, Robin Zander, Steve Perry, Glen Campbell, Eric Carmen, Glenn Tilbrook, Ric Ocasek

Girls: all the ones you guys mentioned

by Anonymousreply 7911/18/2012

Out of the 90's vocal 'trinity' (Whitney, Mariah, & Celine), Whitney was the best vocally. Another person who is somewhat underrated is Stephanie Mills. Stephanie Mills, Teena Marie, Sade, Donna Summer, Chaka Khan, & Phyllis Hyman were all overshadowed by Whitney. Speaking of Whitney, what about Dionne 'Newports' Warwick. She was pretty good in her day as well.

by Anonymousreply 8011/18/2012

Luther Vandross.

by Anonymousreply 8111/18/2012

We had a big Phyllis Hyman thread not too long ago and the consensus was that she was a better singer than Whitney, deserved to be a big star because of her undeniable talent, and got royally fucked over by Clive Davis and Arista.

Oh yeah, and that she was a closeted lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8211/18/2012

r52

I agree about Linda.

by Anonymousreply 8311/18/2012

To say those who engage in melisma like Mariah Carey, have no control is absolutely indicative of your inability to understand what they're doing R56.

Moving from one note to a later one in a song is like moving from one side of a room to another. Some choose to do it simply and elegantly in a straight line while others, who can, do so like an Olympic gymnast with calculated, artistic loops and flourishes. It doesn't make one way right and the other wrong. You are definitely entitled to your taste and preference, but don't bash what you can't understand. It's not caterwhauling. It's skill.

Except for Christina Aguilera. That's caterwhauling. Aish, my ears.

by Anonymousreply 8411/18/2012

ITA on George Michael

HUGE talent, and so fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 8511/18/2012

Linda Ronstadt & Cher, both very strong in concert, I've seen them many times.

by Anonymousreply 8611/18/2012

Mavis Staples has a pretty amazing voice. Go over to youtube and find I'll Take You There.

I'm stunned to see no mention of Smokey Robinson, either, or Otis Redding.

by Anonymousreply 8711/18/2012

I always loved Jennifer Warnes. Famous Blue Raincoat is one of my favorites, the combo of her gorgeous voice and Leonard Cohen's songs is near perfect.

Its hard to think but despite all her talent she'd never make it today. Too plain looking, wore glasses on stage etc. No one would sign her she wouldnt be "video-ready"or photogenic enough.

by Anonymousreply 8811/18/2012

I have never been a fan of Jewel. She has been singing on a skating program this afternoon, I ignored it all UNTIL she sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow.........I was blown away, lovely

by Anonymousreply 8911/18/2012

r88, so many singers from past decades would never make it in the contemporary music scene. When you think about it, the list is quite staggering.

by Anonymousreply 9011/18/2012

Ladies and germs! The one and only Miss Kate Smith.

by Anonymousreply 9211/18/2012

R73 Teena had a great voice but she was very guilty of oversinging quite often and also, except for "Lovergirl" she never crossed over. That was because white people will always look at other white people who try to "act black" in a funny way. I know a lot of people say Teena was an "honorary sista" but I still believe she was forcing that persona. She didn't grow up that way-on her "Unsung" episode they interviewed her parents and they sounded like ordinary white people. She didn't need to talk or dress a certain way just because she sang r&b music.

My vote is still Phyllis Hyman. She had a 3 octave and 1 note range, but was a master of control. She had a smooth voice and could sing any genre. The fact that she KNEW what she was doing when she sang and recorded songs is a big plus. Many talented singers are good at mimicking what they hear, while Phyllis was good at creating sounds without being told what to do.

by Anonymousreply 9411/18/2012

Whitney Houston hands down was the best overall singer.

by Anonymousreply 9511/18/2012

R94, can you explain what an "octave" is exactly? I've heard of it, of course, but don't know what it actually means.

Ditto for "1 note range".

Muchas gracias.

by Anonymousreply 9611/18/2012

No love for Harry Nilsson? Or the criminally under rated Annie Haslam ( lead singer of '70's prog group Renaissance ) ?

by Anonymousreply 9711/18/2012

I love early pre-Schmilsson Harry Nilsson

by Anonymousreply 9811/18/2012

SHE OWNS THIS THREAD!

by Anonymousreply 9911/18/2012

Robin Gibb. After he died, Roger Daltrey said that he sung like he wore his heart on the outside and I agree.

by Anonymousreply 10011/18/2012

R66, the adults are talking. Go back to your sandbox and bury your head. Or go walk into traffic.

by Anonymousreply 10111/18/2012

Whitney Huston like most of the modern "divas" from the 1980's on, sang mostly crap music. Disposable throw-away stuff that will not endure. Did she ever even attempt to sing a classic from the great american song-book? Nope... just crap.

"I Will Always Love You" was one of the few well written songs in her repertoire.

She was best when she started out in her career with the light pop stuff ("Dance with Somebody")

by Anonymousreply 10211/18/2012

Memorex

by Anonymousreply 10311/18/2012

I agree some R91. Beyonce's voice is best suited to power ballads (Christina's voice as well) so when she sings traditional pop songs her voice doesn't fit the music very well. Definitely have to disagree that Britney is a better singer though; I would say she is the weakest of the three you mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 10411/18/2012

Frnak Sinatra. He was a pop star in his time. And then his voice passed the test of time

And yes, I know he was a real son of a bitch

by Anonymousreply 10511/18/2012

Doris Day had a voice of great dynamic.

Edie Gorme is also an exceptional voice not given near enough credit.

by Anonymousreply 10611/18/2012

Whitney Houston had the best overall voice.

by Anonymousreply 10711/18/2012

Melba Moore

Regina Belle

by Anonymousreply 10811/18/2012

Frank Sinatra had pitch problems.

by Anonymousreply 10911/18/2012

I think Jennifer Hudson deserves mention here. I prefer her to both Mariah and Celine.

by Anonymousreply 11011/18/2012

Eydie Gorme

by Anonymousreply 11111/18/2012

Who are these people are they from the 1920's? Do you understand what pop is? The answer is Nicki Minaj

by Anonymousreply 11211/18/2012

Of course no one here will know who she is or ever heard of her or any of her songs, but Cat Power has such an amazing voice, if you are talking about dynamic voices, then Cat Power has an awesome dynamic voice.

by Anonymousreply 11311/19/2012

What cultured person doesn't know who Cat Power is, R113? She's not exactly Thelia Zeda.

by Anonymousreply 11411/19/2012

You mean Thalia Zedek.

by Anonymousreply 11511/19/2012

R108 whatever happened to Melba? Pearlie Pearlie

by Anonymousreply 11611/19/2012

That's so weird. I spelled Thalia wrong by mistake, but I definitely spelled Zedek right because I LOVE that name and have used it in writing. Odd...

by Anonymousreply 11711/19/2012

Dynamic has a technical and casual meaning when it comes to voices and singing.

Dynamics have to do with the range and power of the voice, and the technical control of it. (vibrato, crescendo, volume, pitch and placement) breath.

From low tones, to chest voice to head voice, with completely fluid effortless change between, Whitney Houston was the master of vocal dynamics in her good days.

Peggy Lee is not a good example of a dynamic singer as she had a cool soft constant voice, nuanced only with phrasing and subtle tone inflections. Great stylist.

Garland, Sinatra, Aretha and Freddie Mercury all displayed a dynamic voice. Many more too.

Ella Fitzgerald was more an instrumental singer, with incredible tone and pitch, more a part of the music than separate from it. Ditto Billie Holiday, etc.

Sarah Vaughn is lumped in with them but had the most dynamic voice and was way in front of the band.

Tone is what most makes us like a singer or not, depending on what sounds good to our ears. (brain, heart, nerves)

Clear bell tones, slightly nasal, take Streisand and Celine. Resonant deep tone with slow vibrato, Karen Carpenter or Gladys Knight.

Thin, clean natural tones and breath. Diana Ross or James Taylor.

Pure voices with round tones but not overly dynamic - Jennifer Warnes and Johnny Cash.

Soaring tones, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell and Fantasia. Very few people have this voice naturally, a lot try to imitate it as a "style' of singing. (mariah carey is the victim of this contrived style, and there are too many others.)

Rasp tones. Springsteen, Melissa Etheridge, Joplin, Rod Stuart, Norah Jones. Again a natural tone of voice often faked by others.

Kelly Clarkson is a good example of a current singer with a "dymamic" vocal range and style, who makes a lot of improvisational choices.

Adele's voice is so popular because of her tone, straightforward dynamics and lack of bad influences. Bonnie Raitt is similar. The voice is moving purely from the sound, without ornamentation.

I sound like a pretentious ass, but I do know a bit about a bit. I am a fan of everyone I have mentioned.

I am not a big Celine fan, but I appreciate her full dynamic vocal ability. Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJtRJn24z-Y

by Anonymousreply 11811/20/2012

Thank you R118. That was awesome! I'm the OP and that is exactly what I was looking for when I started the thread. I can't sing at all but am fascinated by those that can and the mechanisms that make them so great.

by Anonymousreply 11911/20/2012

OP, you are welcome.

Now if only I knew how to properly embed or link a link ? It seems I did not do it right.

Any advice ?

by Anonymousreply 12011/20/2012

R120, after the "message" box, scroll down. See where it says "URL:?" Copy the link and paste it into that box.

by Anonymousreply 12111/20/2012

Thank you. 121 Ok, so I don't know where the square brackets are either, but I can now post a link !

Appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 12211/20/2012

So R122, Whitney is really as good as the hype?

by Anonymousreply 12311/20/2012

(112) you DO realize that word "Pop" was used before 2012?

by Anonymousreply 12411/20/2012

Whitney, Aretha, Gladys are basically "mezzo-soprano" voices. The voices are BIG voices and They have great warmth, depth, and are capable of great dramatic expression. Mariah is like a coloratura soprano..smallish voice,but with a penetrating center, lightweight, so as to be able to scale great heights, but not with a lot of emotion..all those flights of fancy are just that.. flights of fancy.

by Anonymousreply 12511/20/2012

So, R125, how do you "rate" Whitney vs Aretha vs Gladys? And, assuming you have an order, what distinguishes #1 from #3?

by Anonymousreply 12611/20/2012

Phllyis Hyman had such mastery and knowledge of her voice. Every song was filled with emotion. She always sounded so full and rich.

by Anonymousreply 12711/20/2012

Morten Harkett of A-ha had a wonderful voice, though it's pretty shot now. I love Florence Welch's voice.

by Anonymousreply 12811/20/2012

Stacey Q had a powerful and dynamic voice.

by Anonymousreply 12911/20/2012

Phyllis with the hymen appears on every freaking page. Enough already.

by Anonymousreply 13011/20/2012

R (122)

Ha, don't bait me. But yes, she was that good. I was in my twenties in the eighties and did not like Whitney Houston's music at all. I went to the Royal Conservatory and was more into punk in my free time.

But her voice yes, it was a thrill. When I started watching her live performances on you tube some years ago and saw how she brought life and soul and variation to her mostly mundane pop hits, I was converted. I know a bit about music, and of course always knew that her voice was a phenom. The misses are better than the hits.

Do you hear what I hear? Hear how she sings and indeed "belts" in all her registers, without the big breath histrionics, in perfect pitch and without strain or reaching for the notes. All parts of her voice are without marks here and in many of her performances. She sings effortlessly through her registers, making some movements only to make it look a bit harder. Ha

Her head voice, has not a break, it is not a falsetto or a whistle voice like mariah carey, or a screeching howl like Aguilera or a scratch scream like Jennifer Hudson, but a transition that only mezzo sopranos do well and not all of them. She is completely lyrical with a beautiful clear tone even in the upper most of her register.

Her low tones and chest belt don't really need much explanation. She simply sang so well that it was sometimes deceiving how easily she moved through a song. The tone of her voice cannot make up for the bad songs, but NO one sings like this. I yi yi will always love you, oo, oo kind of made things worse, but she tried in concert to do other things too. I never said she had class or taste. But yes her voice lives up to the hype, then and now.

This is a Christmas song, see what you think.

Noel

by Anonymousreply 13111/20/2012

R131, I'm a total jock who'd rather be watching a Lakers game than doing just about anything, but I can sit and read you all day long. I sort of have a mad crush on you.

by Anonymousreply 13211/20/2012

R (132)

Well, gee thanks. I am going to accept your mad crush on me, even if you do love basketball and I live in Canada, the land of pucks.

Hockey is cancelled. Raptors, eh ?

I am good at sports from the couch,,,,,

zzzz

by Anonymousreply 13311/20/2012

For the music expert here who was in his 20s in the 80s, what are your thoughts on Phyllis Hyman? I read she was the woman who other stars would come to see live. Even before she was famous, you could catch stars such as Gladys and others watching Phyllis perform at a high-end club in NYC. That says something about your talent if big names want to watch you.

by Anonymousreply 13411/20/2012

Has anyone ever listened to Phyllis Hymen sing? Let's not forget about Phyllis

by Anonymousreply 13511/20/2012

Under50 / Under Attack,

Great posts. I agree with a lot of what you say. Whitney's voice was a phenomenon, like Garland's. I love listening to both of them. However, they both tended to SHOUT sometimes, more than belt. I think it was hard for them to have all that natural power, hard to be able to reign it in. For example, Whitney at the end of "I Will Always Love You." I find it had to listen to.

That's one thing about La Babs: I think she has much more variety to her voice, to the way she sings, and to the kind of song she puts over.

Karen's voice didn't have all that much variety or power, but it is so rich, so deep, pure and mellow, that you never get tired of it -- at least in the slow, melancholy ballads.

by Anonymousreply 13611/20/2012

I liked the Phyllis Hymen

by Anonymousreply 13711/20/2012

Great musical geniuses: Billie Holidsy, Louis Armstrong, Sinatra, Aretha, Mahalia Jackson, Bessie Smith, Joni Mitchell, Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Peggy Lee, and Doris Day never gets the credit she deserves. Ella Fitzgerald belongs on this list, of course, but she was often just much too smooth.

by Anonymousreply 13811/20/2012

Ella was first and foremost a jazz musician. Her instrument was her voice but the music came first, the singing came second.

Has anyone mentioned Rosemary Clooney? Carmen McCrae?

by Anonymousreply 13911/20/2012

r139

I mentioned Rosie.

Though, really, Phyllis Hyman deserves a mention. Also Patty Duke.

by Anonymousreply 14011/20/2012

(R 131)

Excellent analysis! Enjoyed reading that. With such a stellar "instrument", I think she would have excelled in ANY Genre she chose? There is a clip of her and the late Pavarotti, where she uses her 'Opera'voice to GREAT effect.

by Anonymousreply 14111/20/2012

(126)

I'd have a hard time picking which order.

Aretha for the exciting way she sang the text. Whitney for flat out having the most beautiful natural instrument, and Gladys for having the most honest way of delivering the story.

by Anonymousreply 14211/20/2012

Define dynamic and then we'll talk otherwise this thread is Babel.

by Anonymousreply 14311/20/2012

There are nubies in this thread that are driving me crazy.

[BEGIN SHOUTING]

IF YOU REFERENCE A PRIOR POST DO IT BY USING THE FORMAT R(CAP OR SMALL)NO SPACE, AND POST NUMBER;E.FUCKING G.:

r142

R142

NOT (142)

NOT R 142

NOT r 142

NOT R (142)

[end shouting]

Trol-dar is not your friend.

by Anonymousreply 14411/20/2012

How about Harry Chapin in his signature songs Cat's in the Cradle and Taxi, and Harry Nillson's Without You, and Everybody's Talkin.'

by Anonymousreply 14511/20/2012

Sharon Redd ("BEat the Street"),

by Anonymousreply 14611/20/2012

Gayle McCormick, she got caught up in the hippie drug scene and there was a lot of great music and bands and singers during that period and she got lost in the shuffle.

by Anonymousreply 14711/20/2012

R144E.FUCKING G Better?

by Anonymousreply 14811/20/2012

Tanya Tucker

by Anonymousreply 14911/20/2012

I tried to explain vocal dynamics in a previous post in non technical way, with I hoped were relate-able examples. Many people think it means simply how loud or soft one sings, or plays an instrument. I attempted to elucidate and not to bore.

Now I am gonna bore you and explain it all better with my accompanist Wikipedia. So here goes.

"In music, dynamics normally refers to the volume of a sound or note, but can also refer to every aspect of the execution of a given piece, either stylistic (staccato, legato etc.) or functional (velocity). The term is also applied to the written or printed musical notation used to indicate dynamics. Dynamics are relative and do not indicate specific volume levels."

Words/phrases indicating changes of dynamics. (In Italian unless otherwise indicated) al niente: to nothing; fade to silence. Sometimes written as "n" calando: decreasing; becoming smaller calmando: becoming calmer crescendo: becoming stronger dal niente: from nothing; out of silence decrescendo or diminuendo: becoming softer fortepiano: loud and then immediately soft fortissimo piano: very loud and then immediately soft in rilievo: in relief (French en dehors: outwards); indicates that a particular instrument or part is to play louder than the others so as to stand out over the ensemble. In the circle of Arnold Schoenberg, this expression had been replaced by the letter "H" (for German, "Hauptstimme"), with an added horizontal line at the letter's top, pointing to the right, the end of this passage to be marked by the symbol " ┐ ". perdendo or perdendosi: losing volume, fading into nothing, dying away mezzoforte piano: moderately strong and then immediately soft morendo: dying away (may also indicate a tempo change) marcato: stressed, pronounced pianoforte: soft and then immediately strong sforzando piano: with marked emphasis, then immediately soft sotto voce: in an undertone (whispered or unvoiced)[10] smorzando: becoming muffled or toned down [edit]History

Capisce ?

by Anonymousreply 15011/20/2012

Love the smackdown R150!

by Anonymousreply 15111/20/2012

[quote]I remember a casual friend of mine, who is a gifted, trained singer, said that Whitney's genius was in her ability to (and I'm gonna fuck up the terminology) go from a low register to a high register with almost no effort.

That was her secret weapon. That's what makes her songs technically difficult. She could also reverse it and go from her lowest register to her highest register on a dime.

With that being said I think Freddie Mercury owns this thread, he and Yma Sumac really.

by Anonymousreply 15211/20/2012

Ok. Whitney Houston had an arsenal of weapons and she could go all rambo with them sometimes. She had a truly gorgeous voice with power and control over every aspect of it until, well you know, x number of years after becoming a drug addict.

If Whitney and Garland were like race horses, with sometimes too restless a power, Streisand is more like a unicorn. Not really in the race. In the land of purity and light, but one of the least "musical" singers ever. Is she on the beat, behind the beat, in front of? Her rhythm is terrible. For someone who is known for her Broadway experience and full orchestras she might as well hum. Memories, la,la,lalala. Yes she has a lovely and very unusual voice, but except for several broadway standards recordings, she leaves me cold. Streisand is kind of the Meryl Streep of singers, - close your eyes and try to picture her from neck down. Can't do it. All up in her head. Unicorn.

So back to dynamics. Basically colouring in the song using the "italian" tools of singing whether a singer can name them or not, plus the intangibles of ones own sound and style(s)and the luck of what god put in your voice box arsenal.

Gladys Knight colours in "The Way We Were" with more nuanced dynamics and meaning than the song deserves while Streisand is busy checking out the colour of the rug and her highlights. I am starting to sound bitchy and gay so I'm a gonna stop.

Honestly my favourite singers are none of these people, I just like to entertain the OP. Ha.

One last Houston storm. Singing this good is kind of like.....? You can tell she likes it.

ciao

by Anonymousreply 15311/21/2012

For your sake, my Canadian friend, I hope to god charlie never comes on this thread and reads your Barbra-is-anything-but-a-deity comments...

Okay, I now love Whitney and just spent an hour on a Whitney youtube spiral watching her various live performances. My god.

by Anonymousreply 15411/21/2012

R150, can you give us your take on the non-singers like Janet Jackson and Madonna?

by Anonymousreply 15511/21/2012

[R150] will you go away now?

by Anonymousreply 15611/21/2012

Fuck off, R156, I love R150.

by Anonymousreply 15711/21/2012

BOW DOWN

by Anonymousreply 15811/21/2012

again, Phyllis Hyman had all kinds of vocal techniques, both flashy and subtle. She was just a master of her voice. Definitely up there with the greats.

by Anonymousreply 15911/21/2012

I don't think most on my list are popstars, but here you go:

Male: Tom Jones, Robert Plant, Peter Hammill (virtually unknown in the US and not very popular even in his own country, but amazing nonetheless), Freddie Mercury, Jack White, Sting, Chris Cornell

Female: Janis Joplin, Ann Wilson, Grace Slick, Cleo Laine, Whitney Houston, Sandy Denny, Cyndi Lauper

There are many more, but I'm too tired to remember!

I don't think many here know what 'dynamics' mean re singing, sure it has something to do with having a powerful voice, but it's not all about singing loud and caterwauling.

To simplify it, going from very loud and then switching to soft without the voice cracking is basically what dynamics is about. The aforementioned Peter Hammill is a perfect example of this type of dynamic singing. I'd recommend his early solo albums released in the 1970s and his work with Van Der Graff Generator.

R150 had to cut and paste instead of explaining it himself in simpler terms, sometimes posters don't need, or want, to read a novel.

by Anonymousreply 16011/21/2012

I apologize to Charlie and all others who love Streisand. I am an opinionated guy, with some musical knowledge and talent maybe, but no desire to offend.

I am new to DL, apparently a surprise to one.

My posts are too long and too know it all. I am Canadian, also Italian so politely arrogant.

Madonna is technically known as a HappyBirthday singer. Ha. She has some good songs and producers, and not a terrible lower register. She is brilliant, just not as a singer.

Janet Jackson can sing. Small dynamic and range but really nice tone and texture, on pitch. She has used her voice and breath to good advantage. She wanted a larger success than her natural gifts would likely bring her, so image and production manipulations overshadow her enhanced vocals.

Don't ask me to comment on all the others that have followed in her footsteps.

I like you too, OP. But I think I best stop talking bout singing.

by Anonymousreply 16111/21/2012

Jesus, why is DL being invaded by the Phyllis Hyman trolls?

by Anonymousreply 16211/21/2012

"There is a clip of her and the late Pavarotti, where she uses her 'Opera' voice to GREAT effect."

I was at that benefit show, Whiney and a host of others for one of Sting's Rainforest benefit shows at Carnegie Hall. It was a fun entertaining concert.

by Anonymousreply 16311/21/2012

R162 it's not trolling it's just many here only know Whitney WHitney or Barbra Barbra. Those of us in the know want to spread the word about how great Phyllis was. Phyllis was someone who all the great singers enjoyed watching. She could convey such emotion with her voice and had such a style of singing.

by Anonymousreply 16411/21/2012

R160

If you read my post at R118 you will see that I did explain dynamics in my own words.

I later cut and paste in frustrated response to someone else.

We appreciate some of the same vocalists.

Sorry if you don't like my style.

by Anonymousreply 16511/21/2012

Sorry R165, I didn't read your post at R118.

DL is not filled with Rhodes Scholars, I'm figuring the 'less is more' approach is best as far as explanations.

Trying to get a typical DL poster to listen to someone like Peter Hammill would be futile, because Hammill is no longer 'hot'. Time has not been very kind.

If a male singer doesn't look like a 16 year old twink, the average DL poster is not interested because it's always about style over substance.

Hammill is now in his 60s but LOOKS like he's in his 80s! Brits don't age well, but his pipes still work. I saw VdGG in NYC a few years ago, it was an amazing show.

I'm of Italian/French descent, Madonna is an embarrassment. I can't understand how and why anyone can call her a singer. My dog's howls sound better than Madonna's 'voice'!

by Anonymousreply 16611/21/2012

Let's not mention those nonsingers Vadge and Janet in here, OK? this thread is for talented vocalists.

Phyllis Hyman, Whitney, Gladys, Mariah all greats

by Anonymousreply 16711/21/2012

Phyllis, Phyllis, Phyllis.

Where were you cnuts when I was releasing records and flopping saleswise?

by Anonymousreply 16811/21/2012

Yma Sumac really should be the patron saint of DLdergays. Take a look at these vivid creations.

by Anonymousreply 16911/21/2012

If this thread really was for talented vocalists and not just anyone's diva crush, Elvis Presley would have been mentioned already.

by Anonymousreply 17011/21/2012

Elvis is OVARATED!

by Anonymousreply 17111/21/2012

Another vote Whitney, spectacular singer of crap material.

[quote]Did she ever even attempt to sing a classic from the great american song-book? Nope... just crap

Whitney does a short medley of standards before going on to one of her own songs.

by Anonymousreply 17211/21/2012

Here's Whitney, past her peak (the vocal decline had started) singing a show tune on the Rosie O' Donnell show in 1998. What a singer.

by Anonymousreply 17311/21/2012

Comparing Streisand to Streep is apposite. Like Streep, Streisand adapted herself to many different "roles" or genres: she did Vaudeville, she did rock, she did regular Broadway, she did Sondheim, she did big band -- she was very versatile.

I agree she never had the *passion* of Garland or Houston, but she had more variety. And a purer sound, IMO. It's hard to rank the top talents.

If you bitches haven't seen this, well... surrender your cards!

And bow down.

by Anonymousreply 17411/21/2012

I guess there is a difference with having a dynamic voice and having a charismatic vocal.

Sometimes people that undoubtedly posses a dynamic voice like Whitney, Mariah, Aretha, Cline and the ilk can be technically great but emotionally cold and sorta bland.

While someone that has a charismatic vocal like Chavela Vargas, Louis Armstrong, Cat Power, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Kristen Hersh or Sinead O'Connor can get the emotional impact of the song across much more successfully and can have a much more dramatic, thrilling, affecting and memorable performance.

by Anonymousreply 17511/21/2012

Screw all of this crap and give me some Tom Waitts and some Alabama Shakes, Muddy Waters, Taj Majal, Bonnie Raitt.

by Anonymousreply 17611/21/2012

On Rolling Stones Magazines list of the 100 greatest singers of all time, among the women are Gladys Knight, Karen Carpenter, Joni Mitchell, Joplin, MJ Blige, Mariah, Bonnie Raitt, Whitney, Tina Turner, Dusty Springfield, Patsy Cline, Etta James, Nina Simone and even Christina Aguilera. The number one singer on their list, male or female is Aretha.

Neither Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand are on the list! Maybe it does take more than a pretty voice or a large vocal range to be a great singer of popular music. Dynamic yes and with all the huge sales and hardware, but no cigar. Streisand is not very musical, instantly square, and Celine is her mimic. Musical anodynes and adenoids.

Rolling Stone is not too relevant and the great singers of the thirties,forties and fifties are not there at all. Must be on some other list!

Still it is hard to argue with who they did include.

by Anonymousreply 17711/21/2012

Nobody can compare to Whitney for her screaming, yelling and stupendous swooping.

by Anonymousreply 17811/21/2012

I offer this.

by Anonymousreply 17911/21/2012

And this.

by Anonymousreply 18011/21/2012

Mahalia Jackson had a powerful voice but her phrasing was an absolute hoot. You can't listing to her "Silent Night" without laughing at the "hehvun leepeace."

by Anonymousreply 18111/21/2012

How do you make a youtube link show as clickable link when you post?

by Anonymousreply 18211/22/2012

Oleta Adams deserves a shout out in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 18311/22/2012

R182, below the youtube video click on share > options > long link > copy/paste that link in URL space in your post

Hope that helps.

by Anonymousreply 18411/22/2012

R181, you are a philistine.

by Anonymousreply 18511/22/2012

[quote]Mahalia Jackson had a powerful voice but her phrasing was an absolute hoot. You can't listing to her "Silent Night" without laughing at the "hehvun leepeace."

Bitch please! Nothing comes even close to my thrilling rendition of "My Cunt ry, 'tis of thee" at the first Obama inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 18611/22/2012

First Laura Nyro gets ripped to shreds in the David Geffen thread, and now we're taking shots at Mahalia Jackson and Aretha.

Are there any gays left on DL?

by Anonymousreply 18711/22/2012

Mahalia and Aretha are both magnificent deities. If there were a God, they would be proof.

by Anonymousreply 18811/22/2012

[quote]If there were a God, they would be proof.

Of what? The pudding? Mmm, did someone say pudding?

by Anonymousreply 18911/22/2012

Donna Summer had an enormous voice. Elvis Presley was good too. Cindy Lauper, David Bowie, Celine Dion, Peabo Bryson Steve Perry - all great voices. Aretha was not a pop star.

by Anonymousreply 19011/22/2012

Aretha was totally a pop star, what are you talking about? Was and is. "Who's Zoomin' Who?" Hello?

by Anonymousreply 19111/22/2012

Lauren Hill

by Anonymousreply 19211/22/2012

I think Neko Case has the best voice in music today. Vastly superior to the hideous vocal gymnastics of today's r+b wailers.

by Anonymousreply 19311/22/2012

Potential future divas Amber Riley and Naya Rivera. Love it when these girls sing together on Glee and wish they would do an album together. Both have the potential to be great if they don't get full of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 19411/22/2012

Of course no one here will have ever hard of her, but Alison Krauss's voice is just stunningly gorgeous, her voice is like the supermodel of music.

by Anonymousreply 19511/22/2012

Ella Fitzgerald was constantly scatting with her thin voice.I hate scat. It annoys me. Just sing the words and melody bitch!

by Anonymousreply 19611/22/2012

Frankie Valli of the Four Seasons when he sang in his falsetto. Or maybe Tiny Tim....bwaaahahahahahahaha....Yer not gonna bring back Tiny Tim are yuh!?

by Anonymousreply 19711/22/2012

r195

I've never been hard for her, but then, I'm gay.

by Anonymousreply 19811/22/2012

R194 anything out of Glee is suspect. All of their singing is auto-tuned to death.

One thing you can say about American Idol is that those bitches can sing for real without needing auto-tune.

Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken and Adam Lambert are the best singers from that show with Clay being the most dynamic. He has an incredible range from ultra high to thrillingly low. Adam Lambert only has the high notes while Kelly is best when she is singing soulful ballads.

by Anonymousreply 19911/22/2012

Too many people are naming favorite singers who can sing passably well but that isn't the topic. OP is looking for the best, not the most famous or popular.

by Anonymousreply 20011/22/2012

Bobby McFerrin. This man is a true musical genius.

by Anonymousreply 20111/22/2012

R201, but he wasn't a great singer with a dynamic voice.

by Anonymousreply 20211/22/2012

I absolutely hate Adam Lambert's screechiness when he hits his high notes. Totally unlistenable.

by Anonymousreply 20311/22/2012

Actually R202, he does have a fantastic voice he can seemingly do anything with.

Check out this clip where he does a condensed "Wizard of Oz".

by Anonymousreply 20411/22/2012

R204, that was entertaining but not really great. He even used the choir to sing the notes he couldn't.

by Anonymousreply 20511/22/2012

Listen to the range and control. From his PBS special.

by Anonymousreply 20611/22/2012

K.D. Lang

by Anonymousreply 20711/22/2012

r199 I agree with you that the one good thing to come out of American Idol is some balance to all the auto tuned pop stars. They are like reliable work horses if you want a decent live National Anthem.

I disagree about Clay having a wider range or more dynamic voice than Lambert. Clay has a good voice and range but anyone with a knowledge of singing will tell you that Adam's range, power, control and breath support is a freak of nature. The screeching thing with Adam using his top register so much pretty much got under control after the first few weeks of idol.

He's a little like Whitney Houston in that his original material often doesn't serve as a good showcase.

It was interesting to watch some of his show with Queen, whose music suits him better than his own. I prefer Freddie in both tone and execution but technically Adam is even better than him live if only in the ability to sing the songs in the recorded range.

Here's a video example of dynamic vocals from that show.

by Anonymousreply 20811/22/2012

Sorry, you are wrong. I understand being a crazy fan with blinders on but you are not being objective.

Clay has a wider vocal range and superior control and he is free of the nasal whine so prevalent in Lambert's singing.

by Anonymousreply 20911/22/2012

R195 no way is Krauss among the greats. Her voice can go off-key in some songs. She does sound beautiful in others though.

by Anonymousreply 21011/22/2012

r209, just on a hunch when I saw the Clay Christmas thread I used troll-dar. Wow, you're a big fan.

Enjoy the show. I'm glad you enjoy Clay but I think I'll listen to other more objective critics for this discussion.

by Anonymousreply 21111/22/2012

Hey there Glambert. That trolldar really is a treat. So you have no objectivity at all yet you dare point fingers? At least I'm honest and I give other singers their due.

by Anonymousreply 21211/22/2012

Well then r200, the answer is Sarah Vaughan. Best vocalist in "pop" music ever. If one was looking outside just the borders of "pop" music, then it's probably Leontyne Price, no pop singers voice can match any Operatic voice.

by Anonymousreply 21311/23/2012

WHO 'KILLED' THE PAUL NEWMAN THREAD? I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION. THIS THREAD DOES NOT LONGER EXIST. WHO DID THAT AND WHY?

by Anonymousreply 21411/23/2012

[quote] I prefer Freddie in both tone and execution but technically Adam is even better than him live if only in the ability to sing the songs in the recorded range.

Uh.

No.

Mercury kicked ass live. Watch any portion of the "Queen Live At Wembley" YouTube upload I am linking to.

Mercury's range started at a much lower octave than Lambert's, his work on the "Barcelona" album showcases that.

Lambert and I would dare say Mika are the only two singers I know of who can sing the Queen songbook. But, Mercury knew what he was doing live and Queen did as well, that is why Mercury always maintained his voice...he knew just how far to go without harming his voice while on tour.

Kudos to Lambert to working with Queen live and lip sync free no differently than Mercury. But, Mercury live was a sight to behold and Lambert is just plainly not as good (yet) as Mercury was live.

by Anonymousreply 21511/23/2012

Constantine Maroulis could sing Adam Lambert under the table. So could Clay Aiken. Just because Adam did sing Queen doesn't mean he was good or certainly not the best. Mika doesn't have the lower range any more than Adam does. Why pick two high pitched screechers? .

by Anonymousreply 21611/23/2012

Roberta Flack. Very underrated vocalist. She sings with subtlety without all the vocal gymnastics.

Minnie Ripperton. Another underappreciated talent. Mariah copied her whistle register but Minnie did it effortlessly without the banshee screaming. Just listen to a song called "Only When I'm Dreaming".

Deniece Williams. Vocal style similar to Minnie. She has a beautiful soothing voice. Just listen to "Black Butterfly", "Free" and "It's Going To Take A Maricle".

Michael Jackson. Rare unusual vocals that is a unique mixture of feminine and masculine. No one has a voice like him. Too bad he never tried to branch out and do something different like singing jazz.

Eddie Kendricks. Greatest falsetto singer ever. Phillip Bailey comes a close second.

George Michael. Another unique vocalist but took himself way to seriously making crap.

Freddy Mercury. Another great singer who wasted his vocals with crap songs.

by Anonymousreply 21711/23/2012

Adam Lambert - the American idol contestant, seriously? LOL, he doesn't sing he screams. Hideous.

Freddy Mercury, well, I have to say, Queen where an atrocious band, Bohemian Rhapsody is not listen-able and one of the most over rated songs ever.

by Anonymousreply 21811/23/2012

I attempted in a previous post, R118 to explain what dymanics mean when singing.

Range has little to do with it. Christina Aguilera has a much larger range than Streisand or Garland, but few would think her the best singer among them.

Aguilera even has a higher range than Streisand but because of the tone or timbre of her voice, it would seem lower.

Contraltos like Garland and Gladys Knight and Sarah Vaughn all have wonderfully dynamic vocal abilities. It has nothing to do with how "high" you sing.

Mezzo sopranos Whitney Houston and Linda Ronstadt are again very dynamic singers. It has to do with the volume and breath, changing in sound even within one note and within their full registers. Not the "take a deep breath and go for the high note", even if they do that as well. (Mariah Carey has a zillion registers, but little in dynamic abilities)

Streisand is not a very dynamic singer, yet has a very unique instrument. He high notes are quite thin, often nasal and without much volume, but her tone is so pure and she uses her vibrato and perfect placement of notes (pitch)to leave an impression of being a belter. She is not a belter.

Celine Dion has a five octave range and is a true Soprano, with a darker timber. She can display dynamics very well. But her singing "style" drives me crazy in a bad way. I would call her a Kitchen sink singer, as in she throws it all in.

Regarding Freddie Mercury. I love him and he has a very large range, about 3.5 octaves. But his voice is not trained and is falsely thought classical. He could have sung more "gorgeously" but was after all an out and out anthemic rock singer. Nothing wrong with that. But again a wide range and high notes are not really what determine what makes a singer dynamic, in the technical sense. If that were true, everyone would answer the deplorable Patti Labelle.

I don't know all the American Idol kids, but Kelly Clarkson and Fantasia each have dynamic vocal styles and abilities. I am not kidding. Clarkson can whisper to belt, in all her range, and has a shimmering soprano when she chooses to use it. Her songs are again, unworthy. Fantasia could have been one of the greats. Not sure what happened. Bad material, bad attitude, bad guidance ? Bad R&B.

Check out this link for an example of beautiful dynamics in a male voice. It is believe it or not - Johnny Mathis! The fast vibrato is tiresome but his singing is fantastic. As I said what makes us like a voice is often different from great singing. I don't love his voice but he is very good at singing. Listen to it for that looooooonnng sustained note if nothing else, no loss of volume, pitch or tone.

If this was a favourite voices or songs thread, my answers would be shorter and different.

by Anonymousreply 21911/23/2012

[R219]

Jerking off on your own thread again? How tiresome can one poster be? Give me some Macy Gray and the rest of you can eat shit.......

by Anonymousreply 22011/24/2012

It's not my thread, man. Take a step up and listen to Sarah Vaughan.

by Anonymousreply 22111/24/2012

[quote] often nasal and without much volume, but her tone is so pure

Pure AND Nasal?

by Anonymousreply 22211/24/2012

Why the shade for underfifty? He makes some great points.

Underfifty, where do you put La Winehouse?

by Anonymousreply 22311/24/2012

R222 Ha, well you did kind of bust me. I have rather inconsistent thoughts on Streisand, but I do know what I speak of musically is all I will say. She used to be more nasal in her higher register than now, and the notes ARE thin up there, but she has a special technique, difficult to explain, that give her thin (sometimes) nasal high notes a piercing and soaring into space kind of sound. People suspected she was "autotuned" decades before there was such a thing. Hell no, it really is a unique vocal ability she has. Her lower and middle registers are more tonally pure.

I still contend that she is not the most musical or dynamic singer, but she is very gifted and quite unusual - a singer with no training, who never practices, doesn't even like to sing, and never even warms up. A bit of a freak. Yeah and sometimes nasal. OK ?

by Anonymousreply 22411/24/2012

[quote] Fantasia could have been one of the greats

You lost me right there. She's as awful as Patti LaBelle and the rest of that sorority of hysterical shriekers.

by Anonymousreply 22511/24/2012

R224

[quote]...but she has a special technique, difficult to explain, that give her thin (sometimes) nasal high notes a piercing and soaring into space kind of sound.

I read somewhere that she has a fair amount of cantors in her family tree and so that might be a technique a cantor uses. One of her grandfathers was a cantor, actually, and she grew up listening to him sometimes.

Linking to a description of what a cantor is in case anyone is interested.

by Anonymousreply 22611/24/2012

R224, why is it that voices of pop and R&B belters detiorate earlier than that of Broadway belters? Is it just a different technique that damages the vocal chords?

I suspect that Whitney suffered from this, too. The drugs and smoking only added to her voices decline.

by Anonymousreply 22711/24/2012

Yeah, underman, would you include Winehouse on any best of list?

by Anonymousreply 22811/24/2012

No.

by Anonymousreply 22911/24/2012

Phyllis Hyman, again. It's surprising the "experts" here aren't mentioning her when all the best singers in the world used to watch her perform.

by Anonymousreply 23011/24/2012

r230

Hypebole.

by Anonymousreply 23111/24/2012

Phyllis Hyman was and is overrated. Most of her "singing" was just shouting and screaming.

by Anonymousreply 23211/24/2012

And Hyman was as bad as Whitney for recoding shit material.

by Anonymousreply 23311/24/2012

Today is the 21st anniversary of Freddie's passing. November 24, 1991.

A great loss in the music world and everytime I see a clip of him in concert or in a video (a format they helped pioneered in the rock world) it is a reminder of how much fun music was back in the day.

Queen, for the idiot who thinks it was an "atrocious band", was comprised of 4 incredibly talented musicians who wrote some wonderful songs. Brian May is still a premiere guitarist. Roger Taylor and John Deacon also excellent musicians.

For fun here's Queen doing Somebody To Love - think it's 1981 Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 23411/24/2012

R231 no one is talking about opera. This is about mainstream singers. Hyman was underrated. A true master of her craft.

R232 you better not be a Streisand or Dion stan. Phyllis sang while those 2 scream.

by Anonymousreply 23511/24/2012

Whitney did have dynamic voice for a short period before she was overtaken by drugs- but never sang good music. Very limited song book and not great musicianship.

by Anonymousreply 23611/24/2012

Thanks for that insightful addition to the thread, charlie!

by Anonymousreply 23711/24/2012

Misty-Smooth as Buttah

by Anonymousreply 23811/24/2012

Pia Zadora

by Anonymousreply 23911/24/2012

Thank you everyone for weighing in on my vanity thread, where I instruct you about Phyllis Hyman and the four songs she recorded.

by Anonymousreply 24011/24/2012

[quote]Whitney did have dynamic voice for a short period before she was overtaken by drugs- but never sang good music. Very limited song book and not great musicianship.

I'd say Whitney was the best singer in popular music between 1985 - 2000, which isn't a "short period" (check links upthread). Only in the last 12 years of her life did the voice start to fail her.

by Anonymousreply 24111/25/2012

What about Phyllis Hyman?

by Anonymousreply 24211/25/2012

Phyllis Hyman was a hysterical wreck whose craziness seemed to spill over into her music. She had no subtlety, no sense of interpretation, nothing. Every goddamned song was like a nervous breakdown for her.

by Anonymousreply 24311/25/2012

Connie Francis owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 24411/25/2012

R241 Amen. I have posted a lot on this thread, about a lot of singers, but it begins and ends with Whitney. For me, she is the most dynamic pop singer.

Here she is in 1994, her tone a bit deeper than when she was 20, but at the top of her game and power, with a long way to fall.

Ten minutes of bliss. She does not shout, but she is loud and sings in a gospel influenced style, with the greatest mezzo soprano pop voice probably ever. Gorgeous crescendos, the lovely head voice, a growl thrown in for emphasis, and the best and most tasteful use of runs, with her trademark unique endings of phrases, using head voice and trills or soulful moans. Yeah, she belts it too. Oversinging to some. Not to me. Let's leave that to her many imitators.

This is a medley of Gershwin, Dream Girls and If I Don't have you. She looks and sounds on top of the world.

by Anonymousreply 24511/25/2012

Her Am I Telling You is UNDERwhelming.

by Anonymousreply 24611/25/2012

UNDERwhelming is a compliment for that song......

by Anonymousreply 24711/25/2012

Holy fuck that link at R245 was astounding.

by Anonymousreply 24811/25/2012

[R245} You are right, great voice but damn, it becomes noise about half way through. Going to need some Bonnie Raitt after that

by Anonymousreply 24911/25/2012

R140 I'm surprised that Rosemary Clooney hasn't been mentioned more, her phrasing was perfection.

And not one mention of Eydie Gorme?

by Anonymousreply 25011/25/2012

Get yourself a look at the band Alabama Shakes with Brttany Howard.

by Anonymousreply 25111/25/2012

[quote]You are right, great voice but damn, it becomes noise about half way through.

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 25211/26/2012

[R251]

I did recently see the Shakes on TV and watched some of their videos. So good, so real, so authentic, such good music you forget all of the diva stuff. Brittany is an original.

by Anonymousreply 25311/26/2012

[R252] Agreed, it is like having a poet shout his poems at the audience.

by Anonymousreply 25411/26/2012

Kate Bush - is a truly dynamic singer, I'm surprised no here has mentioned her yet, but I guess none of you know her, she isn't the usually low brow r'n'b pop signer the gays fall over.

She is an awesome UK singer and her voice is just amazing, you guys should get familiar with her music, It's not the typical trash shallow shit the agy usually go for, but seriously guys, do yourselves a favor check out her awesome music.

Here is a brilliant, uber cool classy vid for the tilted track of her album: The Sensual World

by Anonymousreply 25511/26/2012

What about Marie Osmond? Sings like an angel.

by Anonymousreply 25611/26/2012

Kylie Minogue deserves a mention. She recently released a cover album of her own hits redone as ballads. I think she's got a great, jazzy style. And unlike Madonna, Kylie can actually sing live.

by Anonymousreply 25711/26/2012

R245, Not a fan of hunt and peck singing.

by Anonymousreply 25811/26/2012

R250, please see R106 & R111

by Anonymousreply 25911/26/2012

Kylie Minoque is just terrible a twat of the first order.

by Anonymousreply 26011/26/2012

I'm a big fan pf Kate Bush, but like say PJ Harvey and Cat Power she isn't a "gay artist" like say Lady Gaga or Mariah or 90% of other signers on this thread, Freddie, Whitney ect, so she pretty much gets ignored by gay men.

Gay men in general have the worst taste in music.

by Anonymousreply 26111/26/2012

Gee thanks, R255, for letting us know about "underground" Kate Bush! However did you find such a diamond in the rough?? What a beacon of taste and indie cred you represent. I hail you!

by Anonymousreply 26211/26/2012

The thing about Whitney is, she's one of the few singers who sounded even better live than on record. Take one of her most common songs, for example. I have never been able to listen to the studio recording after hearing this live version which, thankfully, was used as the official video. What I considered a sappy song became so beautiful and emotional.

by Anonymousreply 26311/27/2012

This thread has made me such a Whitney fan.

by Anonymousreply 26411/27/2012

Lisa Stansfield, who seems to have disappeared. She hasn't recorded anything in ages, but I just love her voice.

by Anonymousreply 26511/27/2012

Dakota Staton

Teresa Brewer

Kay Starr

Keely Smith

Dionne Warwick

Brenda Lee

Etta James

Etta Jones

by Anonymousreply 26611/27/2012

Same here r264. And as for the link at 173, I don't think she's past her peak at all as that song showcases just how dynamic her voice was. It's richer, fuller and I like it better than the younger Whitney of the 80s. Also, I'm a musical theatre fan and that was right up my street. I never knew she sang that.

by Anonymousreply 26711/27/2012

[quote]What about Marie Osmond? Sings like an angel.

I do actually agree (whether you were joking or not) that Marie and Donny are both really talented singers underneath it all, but I wouldn't describe her style as "dynamic."

by Anonymousreply 26811/27/2012

Lisa Stansfield always sings under the note.

by Anonymousreply 26911/27/2012

And she ain't a good live performer, either, lacks the It Factor.

by Anonymousreply 27011/27/2012

Linda Ronstadt

by Anonymousreply 27111/27/2012

r271

Pshaw!

by Anonymousreply 27211/27/2012

"Let the times roll, let the love grow, let the rain shower, let the rose flower. Love it seeks and love it finds, love it conquers, love it binds!"

by Anonymousreply 27311/27/2012

Thanks R121 from R120

by Anonymousreply 27411/27/2012

Connie Francis, Sings In any style,from Rock To Country & everything inbetween.Sings in more than 7 languages, several languges,both her hits & original material for said Country. A Powerhouse Vocalist

by Anonymousreply 27511/27/2012

Learn the alphabet bitches; ABBA

by Anonymousreply 27611/27/2012

Not all of my favourites "shout."

It was fun to be part of the conversation, controversy and conversion of the OP, regarding Whitney Houston.

This is Sarah Vaughan with a cold, that a trained ear can hear. All singers should have such an affliction. Dynamic vocal Poet. (I won't analyze her voice:)

This is for you R251, R253, R254. I am digging the Alabama Shakes, and Bonnie Raitt is the balm.

by Anonymousreply 27711/27/2012

Sarah Vaughan just made this gay guy hard.

by Anonymousreply 27811/28/2012

R277, when I was watching that Sarah Vaughan link, I clicked on a Susan Boyle youtube clip. Is she just an example of hype? Too musical theater-y? Or an actual great find?

by Anonymousreply 27911/28/2012

R279

yes, yes and no.

by Anonymousreply 28011/28/2012

R225,

Say what you want about Fantasia, she is a very dynamic singer. She is extremely versatile, and Fantasia is a storyteller when she sings.

Here is a video of Fantasia singing "I'M HERE" at the Tony Awards:

by Anonymousreply 28111/28/2012

Hell yeah,

Fantasia CAN sing. She is not a "cool" stylist and can sound a bit rough, but I am surprised that so many don't like her.

Elton John, classic.

by Anonymousreply 28211/30/2012

Whitney Houston

This Day, the gospel song.

Not a musician? She sure the fuck knew something about singing a song............

The video quality is not great and this was a rehearsal, so it is partly sung in half-voice, as classical singers do.

She was feeling her way through, and knew what she wanted. Musician. Great singer. Something.

by Anonymousreply 28311/30/2012

Fantasia can SANG! Folks who don't like her are white people who prefer their music to be stolen from black people and then water it down completely to a lame, white bread version. Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 28411/30/2012

Flames & Freaks the racist at r284. Fantasia is an illiterate vulgarian, she's not a good singer as she oversings everything like Xtina and she's too dumb to undertand the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 28511/30/2012

Fantasia is one of *the* best interpreters of songs in music today, R285. Her talent is respected by musical legends like Aretha Franklin, Patti Labelle, Elton John, Gladys Knight, and the list goes on. Her personal life is a mess, but she is extremely talented.

Above everything else, Fantasia has phenomenal stage presence!

Watch her energetic tribute of "Lady Marmalade" to Patti LaBelle:

by Anonymousreply 28612/02/2012

Here is Fantasia singing several songs in tribute to Aretha Franklin:

by Anonymousreply 28812/02/2012

I had never heard of Fantasia until this thread (I don't live in the States).

So I watched the videos posted above. She certainly has the right stuff but she, like most of those American Idol singers, needs direction...they just don't understand how to interpret a song. It's all full blast from start to end. They don't understand subtlety. It's crap.

You can see that they've had no time to hone their craft...or they're just too stupid to care otherwise.

I will say this: the girl sure knows how to pick out the dresses.... she looks fabulous. In that Tony Award clip....the dress, the hair, the jewellery.... all fabulous and in excellent taste.

Below is a link to Aretha Franklin singing Natural Woman. She drives home every word. She understands gesture. She acts the lyrics. Everything is done for the right effect. And after she's through, you want to hear more. Not so with this Fantasia chick.

by Anonymousreply 28912/02/2012

[R289] Thanks for that. Long time ago, we sometimes forget how great she was. Makes you forget about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 29012/02/2012

"Of course no one here will have ever hard of her, but Alison Krauss's voice is just stunningly gorgeous, her voice is like the supermodel of music."

I know who Alison is, I LOVED her version of The Foundations, "Baby Now That I've Found You"!

At The Grammys, Alison and Robert Plant won album of the year a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 29112/02/2012

[quote] Of course no one here will have ever hard of her, but Alison Krauss

Yes, like no one here has heard of Kate Bush... All these obscure names, I just can't deal!

by Anonymousreply 29212/02/2012

289 watching that clip after seeing the one of Whitney I am making the connection that Whitney must have payed close attention to Aretha because I feel like her phrasing is very similar. Both women knew their way around a song.

by Anonymousreply 29312/02/2012

[R293] Both of their vocal styles came from the church

by Anonymousreply 29412/02/2012

R286 "Her talent is respected by musical legends like Aretha Franklin, Patti Labelle, Elton John, Gladys Knight, and the list goes on."

Well then it would be nice if she learned from Gladys Knight.

This is how to deliver a song. THIS is stage presence. "Neither One of Us".

(Oh... and those Pips in those suits with those moves... gives me a hard-on)

by Anonymousreply 29512/02/2012

Good thing you said more than one OP because it's silly to pick just one voice.

by Anonymousreply 29612/02/2012

Fantasia can sing, but she is so coarse and ghetto in both manner and appearance that she'll only be a niche performer and never break into the mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 29712/02/2012

There is so much subtle and blatant racism and misogyny on DL. It is a bit of a shock. American fags have so much in common with the inherent ignorance of the `repug` thugs that they love to go on about. They give all gay people a bad name.

by Anonymousreply 29812/06/2012

No one has as much emotion, even in a single gasp or syllable, as Maria McKee. Her live version of "Wheels" gives goosebumps every time.

by Anonymousreply 29912/06/2012

by Anonymousreply 30012/07/2012

No Emmylou's version of Gram Parsons' "Wheels" absolutely kills! I wanted to say Donna Summer had a very dynamic voice.

by Anonymousreply 30112/07/2012

Karen Carpenter!

by Anonymousreply 30212/07/2012

Irish folk singer Mary Black has one of the best vocals. Pitch perfect and crystal clear.

by Anonymousreply 30312/07/2012

I just listened to the youtubes linked of Fantasia. She may be able to hit notes and she has what I'd call a strong voice but I don't LIKE her voice.

I'm not a singer or an expert in voice but listening to Gladys Knight at the link you can see how beautiful her voice is and how beautifully she puts across a song whether it' during a soft section or where she belts it compared to Fantasia. There's almost no comparison.

Whatever it is I can't call Fantasia's voice beautiful or particularly lyrical - it is loud and she can hit some impressive notes so maybe that's the rough stuff that can be turned into a fabulous voice. Something about her timber or tenor - I don't know what it's called - is not appealing to me. But from what I heard she is not that impressive to me.

I suppose it's all about taste.

by Anonymousreply 30412/07/2012

annie lennox

by Anonymousreply 30512/07/2012

I am kind of reluctant to post a Judy Garland song. But she had a dynamic voice in the truest sense.

This is a relatively modest performance by her, but her variation of volume, texture and phrasing demonstrate the true meaning of dynamics in song.

Even in her softest voice there is fullness of sound, and within a note or a phrase she varies her vocals subtly and masterfully. The tone of voice is what we love or not in the end. She sang beautifully.

There are many small and one large crescendos in this song, moving from one note to the next with increased volume, on the same breath.

Not many pop singers do this as well. Sinatra, Houston, Aretha, Sarah Vaughan and sometimes Gladys Knight.

She is way before my time, but belongs on this thread. The song is corny. The singer is not.

by Anonymousreply 30612/08/2012

I was listening to my Andre Bocelli Xmas CD in my car today. Among several others he does a duet with Natalie Cole. This idiot has always thought she was a superb vocalist especially her work with David Foster who also produced the last American song book CD with Rod Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 30712/08/2012

Fantasia's voice gets too screechy, like Lambert's, when she sings high and loud. Not pleasing at all to listen to.

Whitney at her best has been the best vocalist of in generations for me.

by Anonymousreply 30812/08/2012

Whitney Houston, on a bad day...

Abraham, Martin and John.

Some kind of reverential protest song. Soul.

by Anonymousreply 30912/08/2012

The girls from Abba had astounding voices. Crystal clear, technically perfect and depth of emotional expression without going overboard. Unlike these idiots today, they never screamed/shouted the lyrics either.

by Anonymousreply 31012/08/2012

Celine Dion has one of the most spectacular voices around. She has wonderful control and takes very good care of her voice. No talking, always warming up, and avoiding all the bad stuff. She is robotic, but dynamic.

In most things this makes her a bore, but no one is more interested in sounding good than she. She is sincere. Ha. You would have to be Canadian to even begin to understand her image.

I am a big fan of Christmas recordings and covers by singers, because it often illuminates how much better they can be.

Her vocal fluidity and upper register are more thrilling than Streisand could ever hope to achieve. She is a bit nasal in mid register, but her voice is a great instrument.

O Holy Night.

Bump

by Anonymousreply 31112/16/2012

R311, I think you've really taught me things about singing. I listened to your Celine link and then listened to Mariah and JHud singing the same song. Celine's version was rich, full bodied, each note seemed perfect and thought out. But she definitely lacks phrasing or something. She sings perfectly, but also like awkwardly, somehow. Mariah's mid and lower register (new terms!) seemed incredibly banal, but that upper register thing she has going is pretty damn cool. And JHud has all the power in the world, but I was bored the whole way through.

Whitney is still my favorite. Celine would be second, but Whitney seemed to sing so much easier and with more fluidity than Celine.

by Anonymousreply 31212/16/2012

Thanks.

Celine does lack in phrasing and is very good at placing every note but at the expense of the meaning of the lyrics. Her voice is superb. She gets it better in french. You get it.

Mariah has a freak fine "whistle" register that is beyond lower, mid and upper.

I don't like her much, but here is a good show of how well she can sing, and stardom corrupts?

Mariah, Celine and Jhud have made no secret that Whitney is their biggest influence. Whitney had a voice like the trumpets of Jericho, and could sing from her soul, not having to worry much about the notes. Show off.

Vision of love.

by Anonymousreply 31312/16/2012

You're so right about Whitney not having to think about hitting those notes. Most other singers, you can see them concentrating. And that's great! They should. But it just pours out of Whitney. And I agree that judging Celine on her English phrasing isn't really fair.

by Anonymousreply 31412/16/2012

oh, fuck, don't piss off M. Carey....

sorry, my mistake.

by Anonymousreply 31512/16/2012

I wish Hamilton Joe Frank & Reynolds had stayed together. ...they were pure magic.

by Anonymousreply 31612/16/2012

I like this.

by Anonymousreply 31712/16/2012

r314

Celine in Paris, in English.

Calling You.

by Anonymousreply 31812/16/2012

r250, you missed the one earlier reference to Eydie Gorme. I agree, for power, range, emotion, clarity and dynamics she is truly among the best and most underrated today. I also think Connie Francis belongs near the very top. Her remarkable voice lacks a certain warmth, which is why I think people forget how amazing she often was.

by Anonymousreply 31912/16/2012

The divas are not possible to beat, for power and control, and singing in perfect pitch with some kind of personal electricity. Rare. Listen to them too long and everyone else sounds out of tune and hobbled, or humanly soothing.

IMO Sarah Barellis is one of the best singers out there now. Nothing like a diva, but the girl can sing and is a very good musician.

Bonnie Raitt is classic, not pushing her voice ever, but her tone, taste and phrasing in rock, blues, soul and pop is as good as it gets.

I am going to post Bernadette Peters too. Of Broadway singers, she has the most interesting voice, far from a powerhouse, but with a sweet range and texture, presence and electricity. She knows what she is working with.

by Anonymousreply 32012/18/2012

Bonnie Raitt

by Anonymousreply 32112/18/2012

Song of Bernadette

by Anonymousreply 32212/18/2012

Nonsense! The two singers with powerful dynamic voices are Springsteen and Cher. They can sing without mics and their voices will still carry. Even at their ages, their voices are incredibly powerful live.

by Anonymousreply 32312/18/2012

Anyone a fan of Cassandra Wilson's?

by Anonymousreply 32401/05/2013

Yes, r324 I am a big fan of Cassandra Wilson. I have posted all over this thread, but didn't mention her because I am not sure if she is falls in the pop genre, but her smoky rich and strong voice is beautiful, and she sure can sing. She is more a jazz stylist, I would say, but she covers a lot of popular songs. I listen to her all the time.

by Anonymousreply 32501/05/2013

Roger Daltrey. Still singing. Needs to keep his shirt on.

by Anonymousreply 32601/05/2013

Kristen Chenoweth.

She is not a pop singer though she has tried. Her voice is near perfect. A classically trained soprano who sings with freaky capability and not a bad spot in her range or any big flaw in her style. She hits high F's too.....

I am a classical musician, sometime singer and teacher. Kristen has a voice that is too broadway to some and too classical for others. Her gorgeous soprano head voice is not wanted in pop music, but she has the feel for it. She tried country. Can't escape her pure sound.

I am posting this for some Laker's jockstrap Whitney loving guy who also LUVs smart sexy Italian Canadians. I hope he is listening. This is also great singing.

Her voice is beautiful and she is a fun woman to work with.

A lot to say about a little song.....

by Anonymousreply 32701/15/2013

Cleo Lane During on of her concert tours in the US the song she sings at the intermission as she leaves the stage and microphone is "Will You Still Talk About Me When I'm Gone".

by Anonymousreply 32801/15/2013

I wasn't a Whitney fan until you made, Montreal Spanker! And yes, I do sort of have a DL crush on you...

by Anonymousreply 32901/15/2013

Ok, sweet and funny that, I am glad you got my shot in the dark. My bf says I can have you as a DL crush cuz I was very new to this sort of thing and you were real kind to me, and he knows I love to spank.

Plus you are smart, cookie wise and read books and play sports and stuff and are teachable. So you are my DL crush too.

My jock knee recovered from surgery while telling you bout Whitney and stuff. I am back on my game and at the piano. Can't say for the Lakers.

yeah, um, how bout that Edie Gorme ? This can't be cool, but I had to say hey, before I ditch the DL. Too many mean people......

I think yur swell.

by Anonymousreply 33001/15/2013

Tony Martin

Astrid Gilberto

June Christy

Jack Teagarden

Billie Holiday

Mel Torme

Lee Wiley

by Anonymousreply 33101/15/2013

STING

by Anonymousreply 33201/15/2013

One of my teachers at the Royal Conservatory swore and still swears that Shirley Bassey is a great singer. He insists I post her.

She is for sure dynamic with that great deep resonant Welsh tinged voice and a fine range. Born above a brothel. She loves only gold.

I chose the song - you cannot avoid the histrionics with her, so at least a good song.

The Party's Over.

by Anonymousreply 33301/17/2013

I thought I had a quick reply to this thread until I read all the replies and was reminded of SO many great voices over the years! Guys, there is no easy answer as we are all (obviously) very passionate about our faves. Passion is good. Back to my (personal) best. Miss Dusty Springfield. To name but one.

by Anonymousreply 33401/18/2013

This is Whitney Houston live in Santiago, Chile back in '94. The variations are nothing short of spectacular, no amount of training can produce this kind of unrestrained performance and talent. It all came so effortlessly to her which explains why she didn't care so much for it as much as the rest of the world did. God, she was in good voice that night.

by Anonymousreply 33501/18/2013

Linda Ronstadt

by Anonymousreply 33601/18/2013

Judy Garland in her prime (1954-60). No one comes even close.

by Anonymousreply 33701/19/2013

For that California guy....

I was about twelve when this song came out by Donna Summer and never went to the disco.

This video, with full orchestra and freaked out sound proves that Donna was a very good singer, even in her fifties. Dynamic, rhythmic, better than some people think. Under appreciated.

She scrapes a couple high notes, but the range and tone of her voice is fucking hard to resist. The bridge in this song is beautiful and her last operatic note is bliss. Move your ass and enjoy.

MacArthur Park

by Anonymousreply 33801/25/2013

I've been reduced to "that California guy"?

Alas, the pain!

by Anonymousreply 33901/25/2013

OUCH !

You have been treated well so far.

It gets tougher.

Don't lie, California guy.

I have been an angel to you.

I found your cake in the rain.

by Anonymousreply 34001/25/2013

Tiny Tim.

by Anonymousreply 34101/25/2013

Linda Ronstadt. "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress."

Beautiful song, beautiful voice, beautiful woman.

by Anonymousreply 34201/30/2013

Gayle McCormick

by Anonymousreply 34301/30/2013

Björk. Watch Robyn (who is normally a pretty damn good vocalist) butcher Hyperballad and you realize just how good Björk is.

Also, watch Björk's underwhelmed reaction to the performance. That's DL respect for its cuntiness.

by Anonymousreply 34401/30/2013

I can not been said too many times: Ella.

by Anonymousreply 34501/30/2013

Fantasia's voice can be annoying, but it is dynamic. She shines when she controls her voice, as she does on her new song, "Lose to Win".

Fantasia is one of the few well-known American female singers under 40 who can tell a story beautifully via phrasing.

At this link, her phrasing at 0:33 and 1:46 is stellar:

by Anonymousreply 34603/08/2013

Teena Marie

by Anonymousreply 34703/08/2013

For the new generation coming up (born the same year as me!):

Kimbra

Seriously she has the highs, the lows, genre switching, jazzy, experimental, and sounds fucking better live (best voice I heard last year!)

by Anonymousreply 34803/08/2013

Freddie Mercury. There aren't enough words to describe his voice and style. Brian and Roger have great voices as well. Once the heard Freddie sing, they knew he had to be the one out front.

by Anonymousreply 34903/08/2013

I have posted all over this thread so I am not posting Kelly Clarkson in response to Fantasia. They are both the best that AI has found.

I love Kelly's voice, she can sing rock, standards, the prettiest trills and R@B riffs. Beautiful range, dynamics and plain old heart.

Is she a great artist? I dunno, but she has one of the best voices out there now. No shoes, no fake tits, no fake nose, not much artifice. She just knows how to sing.

"Already Gone"

live

by Anonymousreply 35003/09/2013

I like Kimbra's voice as well...it's distinct, when can't be said for many current pop stars.

by Anonymousreply 35103/09/2013

Ray Charles

by Anonymousreply 35203/09/2013

Whitney Houston, Easter.

Stick with it, it goes to live footage.

"Don't Cry for Me"

Houston singing at an AIDS fundraiser, heart and soul.

by Anonymousreply 35303/29/2013

Someone upthread mentioned Kate Smith. This clip, from her mid-'60s London Palladium TV special, has been posted before, but it really is good. She tears it up at the end!

by Anonymousreply 35403/29/2013

To my Canadian papa bear:

What do you think of this article? I listened to the Oprah "Believe" duet, and, maybe because of your influence, I just don't get how anyone could think Mariah's voice is on the same level as Whitney's.

by Anonymousreply 35503/30/2013

Sandra Bernhart....Bernhardt..Bearn. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 35603/30/2013

The woman known as Ann Tennille.

by Anonymousreply 35703/30/2013

Patti Lupone singing, "Ernie, From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania".

by Anonymousreply 35803/30/2013

I ain't no bear but ok bad boy. Mariah is not a better singer than Whitney. Not on her best day.

I have a lot more to say and not enough time, so I am posting Whitney singing "Run to You", probably her most airy and Mariah like vocal.

Whitney hits numerous E's above middle C in this song, and so she is in the rare air of real vocalists. Mariah can do it too with a different effort and tone. Whitney's singing was always more pure in tone and in style. She gets the bad rap of being the one who invented endless runs and oversinging, but that honor belongs to sister Mariah.

I have some kinder things to say bout Mariah, but not now. Mariah had a very special voice, and a freakish range as we all know, but her overuse of melisma is like listening to someone singing into a fan. Her voice quavers and ripples so much on each note that she has a hard time creating excitement. She is a very breathy singer, with bright but eeking high notes and she mixes her vocals in every register but not smoothly so it very much lessons her emotional impact. Her singing does not flow well except in the studio...but she came out of the box far more fully formed and unique in her style than Whitney did.

The overuse of melisma also can make Carey sound like she can't find the note. She could but she can't anymore? In classical music, this is simply labelled as too much "ornamentation." Speaks for itself, Laker fans. It is impressive to some, but overuse makes for a very tiring sound. Literally.

Whitney's voice sounds like bells pealing, not high pitched bells either, but the ones that hit you in your gut and make you want to look up. Her vocals are a march toward something, with sweet trills and gospel inflections, some soulful tricks but most always in service of the song and the emotional territory she is guiding us through. Mariah sings more for herself and the sound she wants to produce, if that makes sense.

Houston's singing is technically stunning but emotionally organic and for 15 to 20 years she had confidence in what she could do. Great vocalists can use their gift to grow better through live performances and to please and thrill people as it happens. Whitney really did sing from her heart and was more impressive, powerful and lyrical at thirty than she was at twenty. (This can't be said for Carey)

Run to you is the only studio "video" I have posted. It is to illustrate that Whitney could do Mariah type songs with airy vocals and in her highest range, and still know how and when to inflect feeling into the lyric and when to sing more simply. Whitney could sing like Mariah, but Mariah could never sing like Whitney.

That is a once in a lifetime tone, power and magically elegant voice, Ms. Houston had.

"Run to You"

by Anonymousreply 35903/31/2013

yeah, fucked up,

Whitney in white....

by Anonymousreply 36003/31/2013

Roger Daltrey and Colin Blunstone

by Anonymousreply 36103/31/2013

Tina Turner

by Anonymousreply 36203/31/2013

Most of these "great" singers are still the products of studio trickery. That "airy" vocal Mariah is known for is created by having her sing the song straight about 100 times, combining the tracks together and then having her do about 50 "whisper" tracks where she basically whispers the song. When you carefully combine all those tracks together, you get that beautiful, angelic vocal...but don't be under the impression that that voice ever came out of her mouth sounding like that.

by Anonymousreply 36303/31/2013

Michael Jackson during the Jackson 5 years.

by Anonymousreply 36403/31/2013

Phoebe Snow

kd lang

Gladys Knight

by Anonymousreply 36503/31/2013

Whitney, effortlessly, and forever. Just Surrender, there is no question.

by Anonymousreply 36604/01/2013

r363

Trust me I am no fan of Mariah Carey, but to say that she could not do all her vocal tricks live is not true. At first and for a while she was phenomenal if you like that sort of thing.

Mariah, like Whitney, was carefully groomed, spit and polished in the studio and in demeanor, and then grandly presented to the world and became an instant star.

I am a musician and don't care for Mariah's vocal tone and her limitations, but she wowed people with her incredible range and her whistle register. She cannot interpret a lyric, so she emotes with her sound and her hair.

Mariah got lazy and rebellious quick, shed the princess image and her svengali husband and started wearing invisible crowns. She also lost many of her freakish abilities and was left with her breathy voice and breaks in registers, and retreated to the studio and a more urban sound and some diva delusions.

This is from the listening party for Mariah's first album. All of her strengths and weaknesses are on display. She was something. I don't like her sound or technique. No doubt that she was exceptional though.

"Love takes Time"

by Anonymousreply 36704/01/2013

Roberta Flack

Bessie Smith

by Anonymousreply 36804/01/2013

Sue Thompson

Kathy Linden

Astrud Gilberto

by Anonymousreply 36904/01/2013

The great Tina Turner and the great Robert Cray.

Sex and soul and R@B, the pain all real.

"A Change gonna Come"

by Anonymousreply 37004/01/2013

Mariah Carey, tearing it up on SNL. Watch for Randy Jackson on bass.

You can't say that chick couldn't sang - even her background singers are impressed.

"If it's Over"

by Anonymousreply 37104/02/2013

Freddy Curci is not heard from much but he has a great voice. He was the lead singer for Alias and Sheriff.

by Anonymousreply 37204/03/2013

Jackie Wilson.

by Anonymousreply 37304/03/2013

Marvin Gaye and Dusty Springfield from yesteryear. Currently, Kelly Clarkson and Mika.

by Anonymousreply 37404/03/2013

R367, why has Mariah's voice deteriorated the way it has? It's puzzling because she's not a smoker, doesn't do drugs, and has never toured extensively. She doesn't get called out for lipsyncing in concert, but that's a different thread I guess.

by Anonymousreply 37504/03/2013

[R367] Simply aging and normal scaring of her vocal chords. Also alcohol factors in. Whitney had an appointment with the world renown voice surgeon Dr Steven Zeitels., Smoking was her reason for delaying her procedure. The man works miracles and there was a fascinating profile about his procedures in New Yorker recently. including a gel replacement substance to rebuild the chords themselves,

Had things turned out differently for Ms Houston it is easy to imagine her dominating music still today. No doubt Mariah has had or will be scheduling, apt with the good Doctor,

by Anonymousreply 37604/04/2013

Kate Bush people!Go listen now go!

by Anonymousreply 37704/04/2013

BUMP

A bit rude but it is time for Janis Joplin. She is before my time but not outside my admiration.

Her voice is dynamic and back in some day this was almost popular music.

"Kozmic Blues" in Toronto 1970. My wonderful parents were there. Very fucking cool.

It makes no difference babe.....

by Anonymousreply 37805/14/2013

IBID.

"Little Girl Blue"

Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 37905/14/2013

Freddie Mercury (Queen)

Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

Ronnie James Dio (Rainbow/Black Sabbath/Dio)

Chris Cornell (Soundgarden)

Ian Gillan (Deep Purple)

Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)

by Anonymousreply 38005/14/2013

[quote]I'm a big fan pf Kate Bush, but like say PJ Harvey and Cat Power she isn't a "gay artist" like say Lady Gaga or Mariah or 90% of other signers on this thread, Freddie, Whitney ect, so she pretty much gets ignored by gay men. Gay men in general have the worst taste in music.

No R261, that really isn't true. If you'd mentioned more obscure artists then yes but gay men have a big thing in particular for female angst artists, some more menstrual than others like Alanis, Sarah, Fiona. Tori especially has a huge gay following as does Kate. PJ too. Cat Power less so, but enough would like her. Regina is another one as is Bat For Lashes, so there's a whole slew of anti-divas out there.

I generally agree with your gay taste generalisation, but on here if you check the 80s random song thread you'll see gay men can be interchangeable from your average straight guy taste wise. I like both worlds - trash pop, to the more serious stuff. I'm very much a music snob but can't shake my love for sugar pop.

I'm not a big fan of Queen and find them tacky, but no denying Freddie had an all time great voice and he was as a frontman, more commanding than most of his straight peers. He's one we should be proud of. Alongside him, the genius George Michael had one of the greatest of all voices and rivalled Prince as a one man band. Morrissey has one of the great "acquired taste" voices, much like Patti Smith.

But since you were the one that mentioned her here, I'll put my vote in for PJ Harvey. One of the few geniuses in music today and best female voice in rock. I'd put her ahead of Kate, another genius.

by Anonymousreply 38105/14/2013

I love Montreal Man so much.

by Anonymousreply 38205/15/2013

Aretha Franklin Patti Labelle Phyllis Hyman Whitney Houston Mariah Carey Celine Dion

by Anonymousreply 38305/15/2013

Damn.

Jennifer Warnes.

"The Ballad of the Runaway Horse"

For the boy who gets every word. Listen. This is a vocal only - as perfect a vocal as you can get. Every breath and inflection propel the meaning. Leonard Cohen song. Len and Jen.

Get "Famous Blue Raincoat", by Jennifer Warnes, remastered.

I love you too.

by Anonymousreply 38405/15/2013

Connie Francis

Eddie Fisher

by Anonymousreply 38505/15/2013

Valerie Carter

by Anonymousreply 38605/15/2013

Jo Stafford

Georgia Gibbs

by Anonymousreply 38705/15/2013

There are great singers, truly amazing singers and then there is Steve Perry, in a class all his own. Case closed.

by Anonymousreply 38805/20/2013

The Singing Rage, Miss Patti Page

by Anonymousreply 38905/21/2013

Roberta Flack.

by Anonymousreply 39005/21/2013

Steve Perry sounds like a clubbed seal.

by Anonymousreply 39105/21/2013

Donna Summer's "MacArthur Park Suite" is still her best vocal performance to date. And, iTunes has just released "Live & More" with the original version last week.

by Anonymousreply 39205/21/2013

Judy Garland. Take a listen.

by Anonymousreply 39305/21/2013

I remember Betty Bowers saying that she loved Ella Fitzgerald, but that she sings every song like someone who's also searching for a packet of mints in the bottom or her purse.

I thought that was perfect.

Ella has lovely tone, but never, ever connects with the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 39405/21/2013

That is gorgeous, r393...I actually cried.

by Anonymousreply 39505/21/2013

Virginia O'Brien

Sade

by Anonymousreply 39605/21/2013

Cat Power - Bully, utterly sublime.

by Anonymousreply 39705/22/2013

Now that's a powerful lesbian singer, r397!

by Anonymousreply 39805/22/2013

Carole King

Madonna

by Anonymousreply 39905/22/2013

Grace Slick is often overlooked for her dynamic voice.I would point especially to her work from the late 60's to the late 70's: her work on "Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun"; her work on "Sunfighter";and especially her work on "Manhole"-and it's epic cut "Theme from the movie Manhole." Add to this her work on the more well-known Airplane and early Starship albums, such as "Two Heads" and "Rejoyce" from "After Bathing at Baxters"; "Hey Fredrick" and "Eskimo Blue Day" from "Volunteers"; "Long John Silver" and "Eat Starch, Mom" from "Long John Silver"; "Crazy Miranda" from "Bark"; "Be Young You" and "Hyperdrive" from "Dragon Fly"; "Fast Buck Freddie" from "Miracles." Even a commercial flot like "Dreams" showed a lot of vocal range and shading. I don't have much positive to say about her career from then on, but she had about 15 years of consistently dynamic performances.

by Anonymousreply 40005/22/2013

r400

I grew up listening to my sister play Grace Slick's "Dreams." I kind of liked it and can remember every word and melody, but it was a strange album. I know of her and Jefferson Airplane of course, but thank you for the suggestions of better songs to check out.

This is for OP. He knows I am not a Streisand fan. But. She had a few years when she sang as if she enjoyed it and had something to give. This is from 1965? You have to go way back with her to get anything other than sound.

Her voice was at its most nasal when she was young and had a bit of a harsh tone at times, but the power mixed with her superlative laser vibrato spun notes into space. Before she was a deity she just sang. She is not a belter really, but she started as one. Her voice was more beautiful later, but this is when she was dynamic. Just for that boy.

by Anonymousreply 40105/23/2013

Roy Orbison

Tim/Jeff Buckley

Nina Simone

Daryl Hall

Colin Blunstone (The Zombies) - his voice on record is great but you really see it live and unlike most such as Daryl Hall, he still has it. Such a travesty The Zombies did well in America but ignored in their homeland.

by Anonymousreply 40205/23/2013

Vicente Fernandez!

by Anonymousreply 40305/23/2013

Re 393 & 395 - All in a single take - no cuts. Take that f'ing Miley, Selena, Katy, etc. You're all no talent chumps

by Anonymousreply 40405/23/2013

My Montreal Man, can you explain octaves? Whitney and Streisand seem to have (had) such better instruments than Mariah or Celine, but the latter have more octaves. Can you display just exactly what octaves mean for a singer? I mean, is having five octaves better than three with power?

(sorry if this post is too lame)

by Anonymousreply 40505/23/2013

Bilingual Laker (lots of dirty things) Boy:

Yup, well you are correct in a way. Number of octaves and range are synonymous. Do re mi fa so..., 8 notes per octave, and then up and up or down and down. One octave is eight notes on the scale. (sharps and flats, semi-tones in between) Five octaves equals forty clear notes in a natural voice. I have two and a half, octaves.

You know this. Way back early in this thread or someday in my life, I mentioned that range does not determine a great singer. BUTT. Lazaro....

In the world of classical music it defines what kind of singer you are. Where your lowest note is and where the highest is in natural voice, mostly determines if one is a soprano or baritone, or many special things between. Timbre has something do with the distinctions. Range does not mean how high you can scream or how low you can push a note out. It defines what notes a singer can sing without going into a false voice. In classical music, the false voice can complicate and increase distinctions, because it can be so beautiful as to be included.

If you add Whitney's head voice to her natural range, that is when people claim she had five octaves - because her head voice was so sweetly connected to her natural voice it can be understood. But most people can hear the natural voice of a singers range, even when the going outside of it sounds good too.

Many fine popular singers only have a two octave range. Streisand has hardly ever gone into head voice without mixing it with her chest voice, and never into the land of pushing her sound deeper than it can go naturally. Part of her perfection. Her head voice is a very sweet transition from her chest voice or is mixed with a belt.

Voice registers get mixed. It is not as simple as technique. Some voices do better than others at blending between registers. But the best singers do it so effortlessly that we accept it as "the voice".

Garland, had next to no head voice, but such a rich tone within her range that she implied "higher" when she hit her big notes, and was always beautiful in her low tones. At her best, she was the most dynamic popular singer within her range. The crescendos, the legato and the lots of other terms. People are not wrong about her, but her vibrato got very wide as she aged and that sounds not so good today. Hers is not my favourite sound, which is part of it all too,no?

Mariah, I should not discuss. Technically she could climb five octaves of the scale- well yes she could. But it is not always fragrant.

So I have stated the obvious, but your question is curiously sweet and difficult. As a teacher I would want to know why you asked it? Don't justify your taste to anyone. When your opinion is called into question, never defend, just expand on your view. Most of the time.

Five octaves is not superior to three octaves with power, as you put it. I have put it that way in my posts without ever saying so. But large ranges are like 10 inch cocks, rare and valued by some, regardless of the variables. I could post some freak shit opera voices, but although that is where I started, it is not where our heart is now. Three octaves is not even superior to two with tone and control and IT.

You probably with no understanding of the loaded word dynamic, chose to ask the musical question, "Which pop stars, from any era, had the most dynamic voice?

So many of these posts have been about dynamics and not necessarily range. Even with my training I don't always pay attention to a singer's range.

I will think of a good example of power and range together soon. Shirley Bassey was one and Celine another. You did not love Kristen Chenoweth, so I will go higher up the classical ladder.

But you already got it babe.

by Anonymousreply 40605/23/2013

It's not the range, it's what you do with it.

by Anonymousreply 40705/23/2013

r394 has terrible taste.

by Anonymousreply 40805/24/2013

Yes of course, r407.

That is it in a nut. B Holiday with not much range or power, sang like the tuned instrument that she was. Billy Holiday sang only great songs, impeccably. She was not dynamic, but something in the way she moves her voice....

Sarah Vaughan, long past her best day, but with this strange wonderful sound and delivery. A huge range, no longer great finesse between. She makes a bad song great. Not for everyone.

"Send in the Clowns"

by Anonymousreply 40905/24/2013

"If It's Over" is a good song for Mariah, but I know her mostly from "Emotions", which is horrid. It showcases her range while making her voice sound like shit. I've avoided listening to anything she's done since because i hate it so much. In that SNL clip of "over", she sounded great, but somehow I never heard that song before today.

by Anonymousreply 41005/24/2013

WHITNEY!

Bow down bitches!

by Anonymousreply 41105/24/2013

Whitney,

Singing with her brother, who sucks as always, but she sounds like a young fucking angel. Opening for Luther Vandross.

She barely knows how to tame her voice here, but shows her(then)four octave range and her joy to sing.

"Nobody loves me like you Do"

by Anonymousreply 41205/24/2013

Mr. Montreal, I just love learning about this. From a layman's POV only Whitney's voice, of all the hundreds of pop stars, really "hit" me. I just want to know why. It's like Kobe Bryant or Rafael Nadal. Both are subjectively the best in their sports. I just want to know why.

by Anonymousreply 41305/24/2013

"Billy Holiday sang only great songs"

No. BILLIE sang lots of dreck, mostly when she was starting out.

Listen to "Yankee Doodle Never Went to Town" if you can, or "Your Mother's Son-in-Law."

It's her interpretation that makes them bearable, not the songs themselves.

But give her something like "Summertime" or "Fine and Mellow" and you can't beat the results.

By the way and apropos of nothing, she and Ella Fitzgerald began as competitors but later became friends.

by Anonymousreply 41405/24/2013

Also? That quote about Ella sounding like she's rummaging around for her car keys is bullshit.

You can't do much with a tin ear, though.

by Anonymousreply 41505/24/2013

Ball Boy, r413,

Ah, you are not of the artistic temperament. I can't tell you why you only love Whitney of all the pop singers, but at least I took you to the right game.

Sports analogies are only going to get us so far. Natural talent, power, finesse and a dazzling trick or two, delivered with confidence and grace, is the best comparison I can make. The best get better and we are dazzled without envy, so we cheer their victories and have empathy for their mistakes.

Sports is not only about winning, and singing most certainly is not. But there are highs in it and an inevitable decline in abilities. Sometimes disappointment. The greats remain the greats, but we like to remember them at the top of their game.

Whitney Houston had a voice that thrills and humbles me. We could dissect it a lot. There is nothing more to know. Her voice makes me question if maybe there is a god....

Athletes can't move me that way.

Besides, I am a Djokovic fan.

by Anonymousreply 41605/25/2013

I get it. Yes, the sports analogies aren't a perfect fit. I digress...

by Anonymousreply 41705/25/2013

Adele.

Just because she is popular and refuses to be categorized makes her no less fine a singer or stylist. Adele has presence and nuance and vocal tone and taste all over. She doesn't have a huge range and doesn't need it. Listen to her sing the final bridge, "nothing compares to..." from 4:16 to 4:36 in the most beautiful phrase, her breath almost invisible, the lyric so well communicated. She knows exactly how to sing with her voice yet never sings it the same way twice.

Kelly Clarkson, Bruno Mars and Adele are the best vocalists in pop music now. It is not a stellar time, but they don't get the respect they should either.

by Anonymousreply 41805/25/2013

Time for some fun. This is from the mock series on You Tube: Got2BReal. The guys who created this are freakin smart boys in the know. It`s shady for the white girls too. Aguilera is hilarious.

The series is a parody of Diva rivalries and alliances in a mocumentary format. Satire is based in truth, so is this. This episode has some things to say about Whitney's death. She has some things to say about it herself. Ha.

Hell yes, she was the best voice in pop music, ever.

by Anonymousreply 41905/27/2013

R419, I spent the last hour watching those videos. Holy hell that shit was funny.

by Anonymousreply 42005/28/2013

Yeah the Got2BeReal videos are a hoot. I just wish they had more of Diana Ross. Miss Ross can throw shade with the best of them and she'd be more than a match for "Patrick", "Anthony Anderson" and "the talking cigarette".

by Anonymousreply 42105/28/2013

Well, 394, if Betty Bowers said it....

Ella shit better notes than other singers did.

by Anonymousreply 42205/28/2013

Luther Vandross, lord. He is an honourary member of Got 2B Real for sure. Those ladies all loved him and he emulated Patti and Aretha and Dionne just a bit.... But man he made panties and pants drop at the sound of his voice.

My bf is crazy jealous of him and LV makes my father cry and Luther was my first husband, though he was never informed of it:)

He sings in sexy respect right at Dionne Warwick, who very much resembles Whitney lovely Houston here. It is synergistic for me or just a flipped wig and a good camera angle for aunt Dionne? Regardless, I love Luther, any size, dead or alive. Whitney, ditto.

"A House is not a Home"

(Feels like home to me, my curious L.A. boy.)

I hope your day is sweet.

by Anonymousreply 42305/30/2013

Hmmm. I didn't connect with Mr. Vandross. I think I prefer male voices in more indie music (which is my first love) or more power operatic pieces (Three Tenors fare) and female voices for the ballads. I'm sure that's all kinds of sexist, and totally silly, but it is what it is.

Thin ice you say? What did you do MontMan? Get back there and apologize!

by Anonymousreply 42405/30/2013

Luthor had a magnificent voice.

However, I think Montreal Man meant "Third Martini."

by Anonymousreply 42505/30/2013

.... When he comes home from three months on the road I will have to confess. I never say yes dear. I am the man here. It is like a science experiment, in the arts. One plays, one dances. I may love him more, but I am the boss in certain rooms. I may have to apologize.

Who, who loves Whitney, cannot like Luther?

She emulated everything he did. I prefer a female voice for most sounds too. I suspect that Luther is too much one of the girls for you to really hear him. He is not as much a girl as two of the three tenors, but I digress.

"Dance with my Father Again"

Music for chameleons - If you prefer a female voice, Celine did a pretty version of this too.

R425, I don't drink martinis in the morning, unless it is still the night before.

Now I will have a vodka for you, and another for the LA boy who has learned nothing about singing. This is all I have to confess. A foolish waste of time on imaginary things.

by Anonymousreply 42605/30/2013

Celine Dion is not for apologetic hipsters.

She is a magnificent singer en francais.

We love her here, even if she prefers it there:)

"L'amour existe encore."

by Anonymousreply 42706/15/2013

Willow Smith.

by Anonymousreply 42806/15/2013

Montreal Man, I just listened to tons of Celine on youtube (after your post of course) and discovered this. It blew me away. Is this a difficult song to sing? It seems like it is and she sings it so effortlessly. I've never really cared for her music, but damn.

by Anonymousreply 42906/15/2013

I hear you, indie spank jock boy. A lot of her music IS difficult to like - especially during play-offs or the French Open.

Celine is a strange woman, unsophisticated as a person, but with a beautiful instrument and a much more worldly and interesting talent than she is known for in the states. I think this has all been by design. She was the top selling female recording artist and the highest earning for the whole decade of the oughts. I don't usually quote stats but that is impressive. She is loved in America, her wacky slightly tacky presentation works well there, no offence, ha. But she has more to offer as a singer than most Americans are familiar with.

It is really much easier to enjoy her in French. She sings with more subtlety and natural feeling in her native language. No where near as much chest pounding or goofiness, partly because she is a poor Quebecois girl at heart and home, but she also can sing very much in the the Parisian French style too. Quebecois is more emotional and French chantuese is a bit more wry and narrative. This is a rich way to hear her sing, with less need for the extended piercing high notes of American Diva singing. Not that she doesn't impress with that but her French songs are more lyrically and musically rich.

I am going to be a teacher now and go into more detail than usual, because although she is not under rated she is pretty hated too. No one belts very high notes with the precision, clarity and glass clear tone of Celine. People hear that, but there is more that makes her a great voice. (your post is a good example)

Celine Dion is an amazingly technical singer who has great understanding of vocal placement, support, and projection. With this knowledge comes the ability to sing complex vocal runs with speed and accuracy. It is also responsible for her ability to hold a note, perfectly on pitch, without any wavering, better than anyone else, period.

Her lower range is dark and slightly raspy but well supported with healthy technique. Her midrange can be warm, and slightly airy with a pretty lyrical quality or can be soft and sweet and more substantial in its "weight." She proceeds effortlessly into her strong, clear belting range. This part of her range is noticeably in contrast to the lower half, being cooler in colour, thinner in texture and sharper in timbre. Celine is freakishly able to reach up into the sixth octave in this top part of her range, so brilliant is her ability in mixing her belting voice with her head voice.

Her head voice on its own, is full with an operatic tinge and control. Technically she has it all. Her voice placement is often quite nasal, but in her case this is much more from the natural inflections of the French language and style of singing. When there are not too many flying pianos or hair tosses, she can sing as pretty and clear as any lyric soprano, but she is equally good at darker timbered, and more soulful sounds. It is her mannerisms that turn many of us off, but if you listen to her rather than watch her, she is a gorgeous singer. Buy one of her French Albums. Or come to Quebec this summer and see her in her home town. Very different than what you see in Vegas or on the colour TV.

My boyfriend loves her and I have seen her many more times than I had planned in concert. I respect her incredible gift and how she takes care of it. So much of her sound is shivers up and down beautiful. You just have to listen to the right songs. Qui? She is not for everyday.

I will post her with Pavarotti and then in Quebec at a free concert sung all in French that she gave for the 400th anniversary of La Belle Province. That night I was glad to be there. You will see that she is not always so affected and hopefully hear some of what I have bored y'all with. Celine is a great talent, and when she is at home, she seems less uncool.

She is of course batshit crazy, but that is another story.

by Anonymousreply 43006/16/2013

Yes, I do like to be trained. And you do it so well.

So, Whitney or Celine? It seems Celine is more technically proficient, has more octave range, more clarity in voice, but Whitney has the something extra that pushes her over the top?

by Anonymousreply 43106/16/2013

BTW, I totally found you on the Stevie Nicks thread. Cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 43206/16/2013

I am funny sometimes, ya know.

OK, now stick with this.

A hot summer night on the Plains of Abraham.

This is very uncool, but epic. Celine and her Quebecois elders, just a simple girl.

Dion sang thirty songs that night, all in French.

Warning this may be too much poutine for you.....

by Anonymousreply 43306/16/2013

So you like to coke?

by Anonymousreply 43406/16/2013

Monty, Whitney or Celine? I still say Whitney. Celine just doesn't make me feel the way Whitney does. No idea why.

by Anonymousreply 43506/16/2013

Uh, kid. Have you forgotten who you are talking to?

Whitney.

Above all the rest.

by Anonymousreply 43606/16/2013

I always thought that Linda Ronstadt had a lovely voice that grew more assured and powerful over the years.

by Anonymousreply 43706/16/2013

What does yi yi mean?

by Anonymousreply 43806/16/2013

Phonetics, silly boy.

I yi yi, will always love you oo oo.

You are one self centred and determined guy. I never said you had to like Celine Dion better bud. I am a musician and a vocal teacher, remember babe? It is my job to know a bit about these singing things and what makes a voice good. I have tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability without getting banned from this dump!

What is up with the coke question, huh?

by Anonymousreply 43906/16/2013

I'm self centered?? So not. I just love to learn and have chosen you as my master. In this one discipline! You made me love Whitney, and I really do love her. I love her voice. So you and I are simpatico in that respect. But if you said Celine was better, I would believe you. I would just want you to instruct me as to why.

The coke thing was because of your Stevie Nicks post. Coke can be LOTS of fun in terms of sex. It's been a long time for me. And I know you like to spank... so it got me a little worked up.

BTW, you know I look like Henry Cavill, right?

by Anonymousreply 44006/16/2013

I was hoping for a brown-eyed latino, but Ismael is a blue eyed with gold flecks pushy bilingual bottom! Is your second language from Superman's planet? That's how much I know about that. Henry Cavill is not my type.

I am married to a dead sexy dark skin dark-eyed guy from Trinidad. He is French speaking like Celine, but with a sexier accent. Plus he is a compact but muscular dancer and would kick my ass if I messed with such a bad student.

I do love coke. But like Stevie Nicks I stand back and have not done it in quite a few years.

You are a little in need of something for sure.

Why don't you be good and start listening to me? I am a firm believer in discipline and have the strength and stamina to administer it. I don't play when it comes to teaching lessons. You are pretty cute no matter who you look like. Be good. Try it. After a long night of hard punishment you should aim to earn a big reward. Hmm.

Whitney wins. She is the best. You started the thread but I started the conversation. Capisce?

by Anonymousreply 44106/16/2013

Roy Orbison and Elvis Presely

by Anonymousreply 44206/16/2013

I'm a Whitney fan, however I must give my opinion on the men... LUIS MIGUEL has such an underrated voice. El sol has such dynamic voice I had to represent, since people were going to French Canada for candidates

by Anonymousreply 44306/16/2013

Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 44406/16/2013

Ugh, Connie Francis.

by Anonymousreply 44506/16/2013

Jennifer Lopez

... But in all seriousness, Whitney wins for me. As far as tone, Lauryn Hill was great as was Mariah.

by Anonymousreply 44606/16/2013

Eddie Fisher

Vic Damone

Tony Martin

Kay Starr

by Anonymousreply 44706/18/2013

I was really disappointed when I read the big criticism of Ella was her inability to connect deeply with the lyrics of her songs and express the underlying sadness of some. She had an amazing range and supposedly just loved to sing.

This is mentioned at the start of her AMG bio. I was looking for some real downers from her along the lines of "Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye".

Is this criticism at all fair, Ella fanatics?

by Anonymousreply 44806/18/2013

It's fair, but it's not like she gives wildly inappropriate readings of the lyrics. It's just that she's not among the best lyric interpreters.

by Anonymousreply 44906/18/2013

Ella Fitzgerald was probably the most instrumental singers among singers. A yet to be matched voice for perfect pitch and mind blowing musical inflections. She was a member of the band. She sang like an instrument and not only one of them. Other singers have a sound that evokes a cello or trumpet or flute, but Ella pretty much became them. Her voice was one of the instruments in the band.

Her great songbook recordings prove that she interpreted lyrics with sophistication and understanding. The songs were the stars, and she was the interpreter. Sublime, but she needed good material and ispiration. This is very evident when later in her career she sang ordinary songs by Billy Joel or Bacharach. She seemed pleasant and her voice was pretty. Dull.

She was more of the band and the song than the star of the show and it seems that is the way she liked it.

Billie Holiday sang like an instrument too, but had such personal charisma - that little space of breath or facial inflection, the fucking with the beat, the unexpected emotions that placed her clearly in front of the musicians. She showed her own sadness, mystery and subversive joy. Her voice was less spectacular than Fitzgerald's but her impact was more, most of the time.

Ella did not want to or could not do that.

People used to say that a singer was either a hot or cool singer. Ella was cool.

by Anonymousreply 45006/18/2013

Ella Fitzgerald

"Lover Man"

by Anonymousreply 45106/18/2013

All these posts and not a single shout out for Ann Wilson or Pat Benatar, yet you've mentioned Kate Bush and Bjork several times!

by Anonymousreply 45206/19/2013

David Gilmour >>>>

by Anonymousreply 45306/19/2013

r452

Pat Benatar shout out.

"Shooting Star"

This is a Harry Chapin song. Shows off the beauty and natural power of her voice, without the crappy shtick she had to do to be a hit in the eighties. Clearly influenced by Grace Slick, but Benatar has a trained voice. It shows.

She still sounds good today, raspier.

by Anonymousreply 45406/19/2013

I know these are two guys, but they sing as one. I also know they probably don't have what anyone would call "dynamic" voices. But the dulcet tones and perfect harmonies are just so beautiful. When I was five, I made my mom play this song over and over and over. I was obsessed with it.

by Anonymousreply 45506/19/2013

r455

Sweet.

by Anonymousreply 45606/19/2013

People keep saying "Astrid Gilberto, Astrid Glberto," but if we are going to Brazil, there is only one, and her name was Elis Regina.

by Anonymousreply 45706/19/2013

One of my favourite Whitney performances. I hate this song, and she did not like it much either.

But with a cute kid to sing to and not really caring if she broke up the melody or timing, she sang the song, showed her sweetness, and reminded everyone a few times that she had the greatest voice on the planet. The last crescendo is insane and then she gives it the Diva Eye, just in case you think she is fuckin around.

"Greatest Love of All"

by Anonymousreply 45806/20/2013

Rarely do these kinds of threads answer the question posed, but by the look of things, Whitney is the clear winner.

I loved Whitney when her voice didn't sound so perfect and she would just let lose obviously enjoying what she was singing. Like this tribute to Aretha Franklin. She does the Queen's songs justice.

by Anonymousreply 45906/20/2013

That was crazy, MontMan. I hate that song too, but she's just insane. I listened to Whitney sing the National Anthem at that same concert (not the prerecorded one she did for the Superbowl around the same time) and then listened to Mariah Carey sing it. Poor Mariah. She just doesn't even come close.

by Anonymousreply 46006/20/2013

Yup. Crazy insane good.

*wink*

Hey, boy.

by Anonymousreply 46106/20/2013

most "dynamic"? literally? probably Minnie Ripperton

by Anonymousreply 46206/20/2013

Barbra and Celine. A vocal event.

Streisand is Celine's hero, and Barbra likes to be worshiped. They both sing mostly crap. A match. Streisand is a mezzo soprano, with the warmer rich tone, Celine is a soprano with the only voice superlative enough to threaten Streisand and take the upper harmony. It is all prettier than it deserves to be. Lighting.

The song kind of sucks and this is a cynical enterprise. They do sound great together.

"Tell Him"

by Anonymousreply 46306/21/2013

Thanks r449 & r450. Very interesting.

I've also saw it said that Ella didn't have much charisma. But with THAT voice, who cares.

by Anonymousreply 46406/21/2013

r426.. yeah it's a shame that Luther and Whit didn't work together more.. at least on a proper duet, rather than the hideous one of that awful song with Mimi.

Whit does a good "So Amazing". Luther worshipped Whit, Aretha etc.

You have to wonder if Luther ended up succumbing to the "cause" he speaks of.

Btw, Dusty is the definitive Bacharach interpreter, much as I love Dionne.

by Anonymousreply 46506/21/2013

Chaka Khan owns this thread, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 46606/21/2013

Of the male soul singers, no one could touch Marvin.. but Stevie beat him out material wise.

Here's an under the radar one. The late, great Timi Yuro.

by Anonymousreply 46706/21/2013

[quote]People keep saying "Astrid Gilberto, Astrid Glberto," but if we are going to Brazil, there is only one, and her name was Elis Regina.

I love Astrid and the way she used her voice, but she literally had a couple of notes. Will check Ellis.

by Anonymousreply 46806/21/2013

Monty, the Celine/Barbra video just proves how much better Whitney is. They sound great, but they try so damn hard. Whitney could be smoking crack and still out sing them. I find Barbra's voice incredibly irritating, btw. I know it's good, but does nothing for me.

by Anonymousreply 46906/21/2013

r465

Yes, Luther maybe loved his idols and his momma too much and had a house without a home. I love Luther. Whitney's vocal gifts from god were the greatest, but we can hear Luther and her mother and Aretha in her style. Dionne too. Church.

Thanks for your post. It is a good day for lots of folks when Whitney comes off as the least impressive:)

Whitney and Luther could have tore it up or brought it down. He was such a gentleman to Mariah. Something must be ok about her...but don't ask me what.

Dusty Springfield I only know "If you go Away" and "Believe Me" and some of the Memphis stuff. Hard to find good live performances of her, but I bet you have something....

r426.

by Anonymousreply 47006/21/2013

At last I am proud of you LA boy. Ok, maybe once before. Not gonna say when.

I agree. Not only could Whitney hypothetically sing better on crack, she often did.

Streisand is feeling nothing but her highlights and key lights. Celine is sweeter, but no brighter. They have beautiful voices, I know you know.

Whitney is head and shoulders and dead above all others.

by Anonymousreply 47106/21/2013

Dusty Springfield - A House Is Not A Home

by Anonymousreply 47206/21/2013

Dusty Springfield - I Can't Hear You No More

by Anonymousreply 47306/21/2013

Dusty Springfield - Knowing When To Leave & Up On The Roof.

by Anonymousreply 47406/21/2013

Dusty Springfield (w/ Alison Moyet & Sinead O'Connor) - Where Is A Woman To Go?

by Anonymousreply 47506/21/2013

Dusty Springfield - Knowing When To Leave & Up On The Roof.

by Anonymousreply 47606/21/2013

[quote]I agree. Not only could Whitney hypothetically sing better on crack, she often did.

I think it made her very confident and not self-aware. She would just let lose and give us raw soul.

by Anonymousreply 47706/21/2013

Oh Monty, be aware that I've been on the DL for a LONG, LONG time. I have a few divergent personalities, in the name of fun. The one on this thread is the real me, but if you trolldar me, know that on other threads I'm different versions of myself. Sometimes I'm 45, other times 23 (real life 33). Sometimes I'm happily partnered, others desperately single (real life happily single).

DL is often a case of collaborative fiction, sometimes when it's at its best. Just be aware as you judge me from the great North...

by Anonymousreply 47806/21/2013

Elisabeth Schwarzkopf.

by Anonymousreply 47906/21/2013

Monty Norman posts on DL?!

Fuck you, Monty!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 48006/21/2013

I don't know if Pat Benatar recorded many songs in this style, but in this case she fucking knocked it out of the park.

by Anonymousreply 48106/21/2013

r478

Collaborative fiction - I have come to understand. I don't find that interesting on this website or the collective thinking. It is OK in true creative environments, but this place is not one.

I did not set out to trolldar you. I did it to find your posts on this thread when you were being the biggest numbskull. Forgot to turn it off and then I learned a few things about you one long night. Did it again. Boy.

We had a crush. You can be who ever you want babe. I am older and don't do the fictional personas. We all have multiple sides to ourselves, and DL entices different responses. I haven't understood much of what the inclusive history here is about and I ain't too dumb. There must have been better days.

I think you're swell. Not based on your complete inability to hear music and understand singing, but because of one post I read of yours on another subject. It was illustrative and moving. You are a good guy.

I am here for my own amusement and ego but will not be here for a LONG LONG time or many years. That is not my style. Anonymous is good and wise, but my dick is too big for that and this is not the place for it. Many of my students got some feeling for me. They are not children and neither are you. Flirting is fine, but you have no idea about discipline that you don't control in your mind. Not just one discipline.

Don't call me Monty. I have used my real first name more than once, because anyone who knows me would recognize my style. I wish I was as eloquent and careful as you, but I am not good with the withholding phrase or the perfect sentence structures. I am good at other things.

We will max this thread out. Don't be so closed minded about singers other than Whitney. I was an Indie guy too. I accompanied opera singers for 8 years. I thought perfection in singing was dull. Still do. I was good enough and handsome enough to make a switch to working with other kinds of performers.

I didn't start loving Houston the day she died. We thought she was so square and so high, but read my posts on "Whitney's mom was a homophobe" or my take-down on "Beyonce is a loser" threads. I love Whitney. My expertise always told me she was stellar, so I went to see her and later started to understand her amazing gift better. I would like to tell you what happened to me the day before she died, but your response would not be responsive. You are all about your own questions and only want to understand how you could be so moved by someone so outside your preference. Maybe that is the lesson. Can't beat it into you. But I could. My friends introduce me to music all the time. I complain, but sometimes it's a hit.

I stand firm in all my posts on this thread if not all the introductions. Ha. They are all examples of dynamic singers. I don't like them all. I was not here to do handstands for you boy, but I tried a bit harder than you usually get in this dump. You like me still.

You have a short memory, with so many personalities and posts to juggle. Thanks for being honest and sweet about yourself.

I like sweet guys.

by Anonymousreply 48206/26/2013

Justin Bieber. they were just talking about how dynamic he was on youtuve yesterday. he really pushes all the boundaris and jelous people everywhere hate him for it. suckit haters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 48306/26/2013

Mooriah.

by Anonymousreply 48406/26/2013

Dusty Springfield. If you doubt, check out any of her BBC performances. She is on point, almost always. Even her spottier stuff from the 70's and 80's has a certain magic. There is almost a tear in her voice when she does heartbreak, and a fierceness to her upbeat stuff that nobody has ever eclipsed.

Donna Summer - could sing almost anything convincingly.

Maria McKee - brilliant and deserving of so much more love.

Kim Weston - along with Brenda Holloway, Motown's most underrated.

Cass Elliot - had she lived (and gotten better material), she could've ruled the world.

Sinead O'Connor - with more of the right material, she'd still be a force.

Roisin Murphy - comes closest to Dusty at times, but is working too erratically now that she's a baby factory.

and of the young lot

Mutya Buena (ex-Sugababes, now Mutya-Keisha-Siobhan) - the most distinctive voice of the under-30 set.

by Anonymousreply 48506/26/2013

Marco, I've actually quite enjoyed your posts on other threads. You are very easy to spot, as you do have a distinct voice.

Yes, the inside jokes on the DL take a long time to master, but they can be utterly hilarious (and quite tedious). I hope you stick around. You're interesting and we need more of that on the DL.

And by personalities, sometimes it's just to get a better punchline for a joke or to pull an Atticus Finch and step inside someone else's (fictional) shoes to gain new perspective, both as the author of a response and to read responses to said post, who might respond differently if I wrote the post as "me".

I started this thread with earnest desires. I was watching one of the ubiquitous singing competitions, not a normal shows of mine, and wanted to learn more about at the discipline of singing and its best disciples. I was a garage band playing, Nirvana loving bass player in my youth and didn't appreciate the great pop voices of my era - or any era. But I love to learn new things. Thus, this thread. And I want to thank you for your great instruction!

I'm glad I was eloquent on some far distant thread. In my areas of expertise, I can be quite the teacher/inspiration from time to time. Don't be afraid to ask!

by Anonymousreply 48606/26/2013

Saw this on Towleroad. Adam Lambert singing (partial) Star Spangled Banner. It's from a Broadway charity event that was very campy so he went full diva. Insane what he can do with his voice just from a technical point of view he's a freak of nature. People in the comments were comparing it to Whitney's and I thought of this thread.

The fact that he can sing soft and understated beautifully too =Dynamic

by Anonymousreply 48706/26/2013

If we are really serious about most dynamic voices, we have to include Sarah Vaughan, one the best singer/musicians to have graced the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 48806/26/2013

Luther Vandross.

The smoothest sexiest voice evoking such tenderness and hearbreak with incredible skill, dynamics and subtlety. His voice is so beautiful that we almost don't notice his incredible range and sparkly suits. His sound is so rich and smooth but with a crush in the velvet of his voice. Seamless complicated key changes and his show off not always subtle soulful riffs could be too much, but he goes as far into the song musically and lyrically as you can get. This is not oversinging. Luther takes me all the way there. My favourite male singer. No night so long. Damn. Come back baby.

"Superstar"

by Anonymousreply 48906/26/2013

The award for campest singer with the deepest most distinctive voice must go to Sweden's answer to Marlene Dietrich or Vera Lynn. -ZARA LEANDER

google her later stuff like 'Wunderbar' Outrageously outrageous, very European.

by Anonymousreply 49006/26/2013

Out of boredom I have just done what you said, Youtube:Zarah Leander-Wunderbar WOW! She is my new favourite Diva- She raises the term 'camp' into the stratosphere. Loving it. Decent operatic voice too.

by Anonymousreply 49106/26/2013

Peter Gabriel.

There are better versions of this song, especially the recording with Robert Fripp on guitar. This is live and long ago with a Kate Bush introduction. Something about the last few days makes me think of this song. His voice is the one I wish I had. My garage band days on piano:)

Yes, I do want to know more about you.

"Here Comes the Flood"

by Anonymousreply 49206/27/2013

All I know of love is how to live without it.... I just can't seem to find it.

by Anonymousreply 49306/27/2013

Marco, what do you think of Adam Lambert's voice? I'm going to name drop a bit, but I'm good friends with Eden Espinosa (she was in Wicked on Broadway) and she claims Adam's voice is beyond compare. Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 49406/29/2013

I am a big fan of Ann Wilson from Heart. Check out her Stairway to Heaven (live).

by Anonymousreply 49507/04/2013

Freddie Mercury.

by Anonymousreply 49607/04/2013

Kay Starr (1950's) had a powerful voice. When she sang out, there was still melody in her voice unlike the screams issued by Whitney, Adele, etc.

by Anonymousreply 49707/08/2013

Seamless, effortless, stunning, powerful and without equal. WHITNEY HOUSTON.

by Anonymousreply 49807/08/2013

r494 Meatloaf agrees with Eden.

Slash and Brian may have also said he has the best voice if this generation but without getting his own songs that show this off onto radio nobody will know this.

by Anonymousreply 49907/08/2013

[quote]Adam Lambert. Hear him live. Range. Control. Heart. Fearlessness.

Mary!

by Anonymousreply 50007/08/2013

Why all of this rock-era shit? Don't you people know anything else?

by Anonymousreply 50107/08/2013

Add your shit, R501, and enlighten us.

by Anonymousreply 50207/08/2013

r501, I'm sure the ancient Roman pop stars were far superior, but most us ignunts haven't seen their videos.

by Anonymousreply 50307/08/2013

Deanna Durbin!

by Anonymousreply 50407/08/2013

Hey L.A. guy. Yes Lambert is phenomenal. Espinosa co-starred with one of my good friends btw, so we are now three degrees separated? Or is it four? I just got back from Chicago and L.A. so it could have less. HA.

Lambert's voice is too big for the radio these days. His original material has not been stellar, though "What Do You Want From Me" was a good song for him. His style is so theatrical, but he has the voice of a choirboy, an indie artist and a stadium ROCK STAR too. He possesses a range as great as Freddie Mercurys and an arsenal of solid technique in shading, control, power and tone. Sometimes he employs pure tone with a piercing rock-god head voice. (very different from the more whispery light R&B male falsettos we hear so much of) Lambert can also add grit and texture at will to his vocals and does so with remarkable skill. He confuses people. He could have huge success on Broadway or be the greatest Rock singer in 30 years without a band. He displays a lot of vulnerability in performance and there is some American Idol backlash that lingers for him, because he is just too versatile and gay. He deserves much greater success. Right now he is viewed as sort of the male Pink, an unpleasant and unfair comparison. He is much more like Freddie Mercury with a trained voice. On a bad day he reminds me of Patti Labelle. Sorry, Eden. He is not a favourite singer, but he has a great voice. Capisce?

r501, we are discussing dynamic voices in popular music so that is gonna include some rock era "shit." Why not read the thread? Lots of great posts and videos. If it all sounds like screaming to your ears, crank up some Ivor Novello and think of England.

OP is a babe. Be nice.

"Who wants to live Forever" Adam Lambert and Queen

by Anonymousreply 50507/09/2013

Adam has a wide range but his screachiness is totally grating. Not pleasant at all to listen to.

by Anonymousreply 50607/09/2013

Lambert doesn't have to screech and seldom does. Listen to this subtler acoustic version of Whataya Want From Me?

Lambert has several different "voices" that he can sing in.

by Anonymousreply 50707/09/2013

Marie Osmond

by Anonymousreply 50807/09/2013

Chaka, bitches

by Anonymousreply 50907/09/2013

The poster(s) who said "Kate Bush" deserve to lose their hearing. That weird bitch can't sing and her voice is so annoying.

by Anonymousreply 51007/09/2013

k.d. lang. Her voice is like syrup, very rich and a bit thick, but man can she sing.

She started out singing absolute torch and twang, a bit of Patsy Cline, a bit of Elvis, with thrilling power. Her vocals and style became more refined later and she sounds fantastic still. Her voice is beautiful and dynamic, but lacks a bit in variation and is a bit heavy at times.

I remember nights at the Brunswick Hotel in Toronto, with k.d lang and The Reclines tearing up the joint with rockabilly and Stand by Your Man! Nashville didn't quite get her, but the voice on that big boned sexy girl from Alberta gave them a shake. Loretta Lynn told me and my mother one tipsy night that kd was her best friend in the music business. Long story...

"3 Cigarettes."

by Anonymousreply 51107/22/2013

k.d. sings Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. She and Jeff Buckley are the only ones who sing this song with intention. It has nothing to do with God or spiritual comfort. Americans have made it so, by singing it every time a tragedy occurs.

Cohen is a much darker and dirtier songwriter than that. There is biblical reference and imagery, but the song is about sexual desire and degradation, longing and release. The original song has 23 verses. k.d. sang this at the opening ceremony of the Vancouver Olympics, which was pretty cool considering everyone was expecting Celine Dion to sing something anthemic and uplifting.

Deep song, magnificent voice. Different version. Turns out k.d. is a lesbian:)

by Anonymousreply 51207/22/2013

Turns out...?

by Anonymousreply 51307/22/2013

R513

Are you really so dense?

by Anonymousreply 51407/22/2013

r514

Perhaps the problem is on your end?

by Anonymousreply 51507/22/2013

OP turns out to be a little pisher. Disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 51607/24/2013

Pisher?

by Anonymousreply 51707/24/2013

Marco, that kd lang version was fucking amazing. We all know that's one of the best songs ever written (IMHO), but damn. She did it better than Buckley. Fun fact: My mid-90s grunge band used to cover this great song all punked out. It was horrible.

I will be listening to kd's version over and over. Thanks MM!

by Anonymousreply 51807/24/2013

I just looked up pisher R516. Wow. Really? I've been on DL for a long, long time and have never been referred to as contemptible person. I would love to know why. I'm fairly innocuous. But I'm game to glean from you why I'm an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 51907/24/2013

r519

Ramblin Boy. (L.A. ain't your kind of town..)

It is I, Marco who called you a pisher. It doesn't really mean you are contemptible. It did get a response, which was my intent.

I am not a pisher either, but a bit of an arrogant ass. I think of this as our own secret communication thread now, which is insane. But I am sure you get it. Capisce?

I doubt that you are innocuous. You have a lot to say about a lot of things. You just don't always respond to me. In life I am not used to that. On DL it is a crazy expectation.

I grew up in an Italian/Jewish neighbourhood. I use the word pisher all the time. I did mean to get your attention and it was not a compliment. More an innocuous teasing put down. I do have some strange affection for you, glamour boy.

I am more often demanding than passive-aggressive, but we all have our less than admirable moments. Ha. (A punk version of Hallelujah is one:)

I apologize babe. You are a mensch.

by Anonymousreply 52007/25/2013

L.A. guy,

When things go very wrong, Oprah and Celine and dry ice will appear.

The baf-fle kings composing Hallelujah.

by Anonymousreply 52107/25/2013

Brenda Lee was a true child prodigy and really could sing anything and any style..Rockabilly, Rock, big Power ballads, GAS and probably deserves her own thread

Here she is at 13 with Red Foley and at 16 with Perry Como. Note how she prompts Foley.

by Anonymousreply 52207/26/2013

More Brenda Lee love

At 18. Probably only Garland connected as emotionally with the lyrics at such an young age but I wouldn't say Garland was a pop star in the same sense of the word

by Anonymousreply 52307/26/2013

Oops! Wrong link to Foley/Como clip

Correct link below

by Anonymousreply 52407/26/2013

Hey boy. Do you forgive me? I do want to know more about you. I have for a long time. I did ask some time back. Maybe you did not read the last sentence of a long winded post?

I will stop using my pisces intuitive sense mixed with detective methods to figure you out and just let you tell me about yourself. If you want to. I would like to know. About you.

"All At Once."

Whitney, a hot mess on a hot night, high and working hard. Her vocal pockets are catching notes, but I like it. This is 1993. Just a moment in time. She looks happy to be there. Part of her famous Love Medley.

This song is for you.

by Anonymousreply 52508/04/2013

More of that medley of love. Different night, less heat and drugs, perfect voice.

"Didn't We Almost Have It All"

This is my favourite Whitney song. I don't have a defense for it, but a reason for sure.

by Anonymousreply 52608/04/2013

Della Reese singing "Don't You Know"(an update of 'Musetta's Waltz' from 'La Boheme') is amazingly dynamic. The power in that recording always gives me chills.

by Anonymousreply 52708/04/2013

Hey MM. What would you like to know?

by Anonymousreply 52808/04/2013

L.A.

I have given it some thought, and this is not the place to learn about you. I gotta go.

I have never had the time or interest to be on whatever this is. I had a surgery, was working on the musical I am writing and discovered DL by google search at 47. I am not outside of popular culture, but this ain't my style.

My first post was on this thread and I got a bit hooked while I was recovering and then my lover went on tour - I was having some fun, but got a bit depressed. This is not for me. I think I have solved enough of the mystery of the collaborative fiction and glorious past of DL. I am sure it was enjoyable for you during your coming of age. I have used it for my own purposes. Mostly because of your intriguing sweetness. I am not so used to that from guys who can't see me. This is true. I am sure you can relate.

I find DL so full of hostility and competitiveness, like some small gay bar at the centre and end of the world at once. There is wisdom and wit and superior intelligence, but I am not experienced. I am competitive though and don't like this anonymous format that works so well for some. If I am going to argue or be attacked I at least want a name buddy:)

I have a happy life and my bf is retiring from dance and coming home in three weeks. We have plans to give a little back of what we know, not be apart for long anymore and to argue only with friends over weed and wine. I love him. We are going to fight some bigger battles of the world together. He is the best man and takes the spank like a champ:)

I think you may be some sort of writer? Not that you exhibit it much here, but I have a hunch. You are kind and observant, don't jump on the weak, but know how to make your points when typing. You have lovely instincts about real artists. I assume you have your looks, confidence, passions and secrets, and more than one area of expertise. I love tennis too but knew enough not to post on those threads against you. Ha, you can be a bit of an ass too. It's all good. I was very lucky to find this thread first. I am not an egomaniac and typing is not my best expression. I think DL is a negative way to communicate for me. (My inverted sentences and tangential posts make people crazy and me feel misunderstood. Baby M.

I do have an asshole superior side to my personality and a defensive one too. The misogyny, racism and misanthropy here has at times set me aflame. Stupidity doesn't bother me, but the acceptance of these unacceptable things is not amusing. I believe in benevolent dictatorships or at least common law.

I am meant to be in charge or collaborating in good faith. Neither is possible here. I haven't taken it too seriously, but the lingua franca of DL has begun to seep into my everyday life and I won't allow that. I wish you the best. I too am a very handsome guy. It is what it is. But I sometimes have weak ego tolerance when my expertise and insights are challenged with such pointless bitchery. Y'all are mean.

I do not permit racist talk in my presence or woman bashing. I know a lot of celebrities and have read so many lies out here about them. I find this all not fun. I get why it is fun for others. But this is not an elite club of individual thinkers, if it ever was. I get that people have a history and relationship with this website.

I have collected over ten thousand You Tube videos and have never once posted a comment. I make regular contributions to a well known blog on popular singing. I know what I know. Why let others piss on your passions? I like to hear what other have to say and like to learn, but that's what friends and teachers and lovers are for. I will stick with the ones who are real to me.

I wish you all good things. Enjoy Whitney and never apologize for that. There is no better voice. She was a thrill and a champ and a disaster. That's the way it sometimes goes. Exhale.

Ciao bello, be good.

by Anonymousreply 52908/08/2013

Well, Marco, it's been an absolute pleasure getting to know you via the interwebs. DL can be vicious and cruel and hateful towards women, gays, blacks, fatties, you name it. I hate that aspect of this site. But I've learned to ignore it. I challenge people sometimes, but not so much anymore. Leopards and spots. It makes me too sad to know I won't be victorious in an anonymous culture war in a fake world. Plus, I have a thick skin for trolls. I just don't care about their less than missives.

I come here for pop culture, for the the wit and wisdom, which does still exist from time to time and thread to thread, for the political breaking news (it's shocking how quickly shit hits the fan here) and to learn. You taught me much. I mean that. Thanks!

I hope you and your partner will be very happy as he nears retirement. You seem kind and decent and intelligent and a little strange. All superlatives in my book. And, yes, I'm a novelist.

Stop by the DL every now and then. As I've said before, you add to the flavor...

If not, be well.

by Anonymousreply 53008/08/2013

Frankie Laine.

by Anonymousreply 53108/08/2013

Brenda Lee deserves a Loretta Lynn-/Dolly-style comeback.

by Anonymousreply 53208/08/2013

so many voices came together in Amy Winehouse but she could write songs as well

by Anonymousreply 53308/08/2013

Whitney singing 'Stormy Weather' live as tribute to Lena Horne. Sublime.

by Anonymousreply 53408/09/2013

Anita O'Day

by Anonymousreply 53508/09/2013

I asked an acquaintance for suggestions. His were: Ethel Merman, Mary Martin, Ruth Etting and Judy Canova.

Mine, are; besides the numerous suggestions already here: Ethel Waters, Gogi Grant, Big Mama Thornton, Ruth Brown and Chris Connor.

Mel Torme was once asked about his "bests". He answered, Ella Fitzgerald, Mildred Bailey and Peggy Lee.

Nat "King" Cole once said about Vic Damone: What he, Nat Cole, could do with a voice like Vic Damone's.

by Anonymousreply 53608/09/2013

Amy Winehouse? Puhhhhhleaze. There's no bigger music poseur affectation than claiming Winehouse as a big or original talent.

by Anonymousreply 53708/09/2013

Some guy in L.A. likes JHUD.

Hey boy. I hope that September finds you well and sweet as always. I wish you could see the fall move over Quebec. It is a beautiful life and place and time. All leaves fall at once.

Love is in the air. I hope it finds it's way to you. My boy is still so fine. We are working it out.

by Anonymousreply 53809/12/2013

I've been to Montreal in the fall! It's one of my favorite cities in the world. I spent an entire day with my best friend walking through Mount Royal talking about art and life. Dumb things friends do. One of my favorite memories.

So glad you're back Marco...

by Anonymousreply 53909/12/2013

Ha, angel face it took you long enough to say that you have been to Montreal! I almost wanted to save you and bring you here. I was saved moving here in a funny way. I had help and you don't need saving. I dislike L.A. and have mostly hated all the time I spent there. I have great affection for some people who live there though, you included. Montreal is a great place to talk about art and life and be dumb. When I bored you about Celine, you could have just said you liked the bars and the men and the Mount, the art, the streets and the pastrami...

All the people in this video are friends of mine. Not her best song, but the one that I want to share. Jane doesn't fit the most dynamic singer category, or many other categories. I think you might like some of her stuff. I like you. I think we're alone now.

Do I ever get a name for you?

by Anonymousreply 54009/13/2013

Marco, I love the lyrics of that song! Not my favorite melodically, but that's okay.

It's funny I never brought up my love of Montreal. I should have. I had a partner at that time, so no men or bars for me. But next time, I'll have you show me the ropes.

As for as LA, I grew up here. I've talked about it in other threads that when you grow up here, it has a magic that transplants don't know or, more accurately, people trying to become famous.

It's a sprawling mess which I think frustrates East Coasters. But within the mess, are tons of secrets. In that mess you find the characters in a John Fante novel, the first chords of Nirvana's Nevermind (they recorded it in Van Nuys), the noir nightmares of Elmore Leanord and James Ellroy, the water fight that inspired Chinatown, Sunset Blvd as it curves out of Hollywood and enters Echo Park, canyons everywhere to hike (and make out with a partner or boyfriend!), Hancock Park's odd bastion of wealth in the middle of the lower class neighborhoods that surround it, Rossmore Avenue, and so much more. It's a city that takes a LONG time to understand. Not like Montreal, which you love instantly. But once you get it, LA is amazing. Of course, this is just my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 54109/13/2013

Hey baby,

Nice to hear a bit about why it is good for you there. Home and native land. I had an affinity for hard to figure out places and people, but never understood L.A. I now have an affinity for my pretty house and my sexy ass wild husband. Getting older is not so bad.

I surely needed a better guide, but KC and I have had some fun in L.A. Maybe you can take me on the 20th century gothic tour someday?

I will happily show you around Montreal. I have a partner, like you don't know, so Marco is not a GAY bar frequenter. I suspect we have a few things in common. I am kind of wild but don't put myself in places where no good can come, unless it is with close people that hard times come again no more with.

Some bars and clubs and look high spaces are fun to share with a new friend. Lots to find out. Some fine music and food and beats and pretty streets and trees. I am still more than welcome in the fun gay places accompanied by a single gorgeous guy from down under named J. My bf knows of you. We are having the best time these days together.

I understood all of your L.A. references but one, and that is one I will investigate.

Jane Siberry is a great lyricist and song writer and maybe a musical genius. We were once very close back in Toronto. Coke, magnolia trees, blue drinks and collaborations, strumming in bars. I am posting a more palatable and mournful song for you. I like a good dirge. I want to read a novel soon...

I have better suited songs that I should post to fit this thread and make at least some sense about dynamic singers. Next ones will be. We will find another way to communicate.

I hope you are well. Howinthefuckareyouanyway?

by Anonymousreply 54209/20/2013

Lisa Fischer. One of the best voices in the world.

"The Look of Love."

by Anonymousreply 54309/25/2013

Kelly Clarkson.

She has a beautiful shimmering soprano, and all the grit and texture that makes a voice interesting. She has a whistle register too, that she almost never uses. She is the first and best American Idol. Her success is not a fluke. She can sing just about anything but she is never perfect. The best bar band girl singer around. No shoes, no sequins, no problem. I love her.

Her idol is Mariah, and we can tell. Clarkson has as big a range as Whitney, but not that kind of tone or power. Not that kind of girl.

She sings a different cover song every night she performs. Audience request. This is Dylan.

To Make you Feel My Love.

by Anonymousreply 54409/27/2013

Lisa Fischer is up there for sure. It's annoying she didn't want to make more albums and instead chose to continue doing backup (aka in some cases carrying songs) for that non-singer Mick Jagger. Lisa was also great when she was with Luther.

Phyllis Hyman is another. She had such an emotive voice.

by Anonymousreply 54509/27/2013

I love you Marco.

by Anonymousreply 54609/27/2013

Anyone ever heard of Fred Neil or Judy Henske? Elaine McFarlane from Spanky & Our Gang had a pretty strong voice too (I'm fairly young, but have an old-fashioned taste in music). I never liked Whitney Houston - too shrill, loud and I never had the feeling she really cared about music.

by Anonymousreply 54709/27/2013

Not a Whitney fan, but you find her shrill and loud, yet you like Judy Henske?

I quite like Farewell Aldebaran, but Henske could well be described as shrill and loud.

by Anonymousreply 54809/27/2013

I love you too kid.

Listen, it's beautiful...

by Anonymousreply 54909/28/2013

Stand By Your Man. Clarkson showing off how easy it is for her to sing and perform anything. Fun.

by Anonymousreply 55010/01/2013

The late Rocio Jurado, the Shirley Bassey of Spain:

by Anonymousreply 55110/02/2013

Love that R246. Kelly is such a great singer. And I love that she does so many covers. It's cool to see her interpret artists like Gaga and Adele.

by Anonymousreply 55210/02/2013

cat stevens

by Anonymousreply 55310/02/2013

Yes sir kid, Kelly is a great natural singer and one gifted with a stunning voice and organic technical gifts. I won't analyze, but we will have a little compare and contrast lesson. You literary types are big on that:)

Carrie Underwood. This is her song and her version of "I know you won't", her encore song for a while. Carrie has little in dynamic ability and a congested tone that is best for torch and twang. She has only two gears and she stays better on pitch with her power notes. She sings as many of them as possible. She is a clumsy singer who has gotten better over time. She has been given very good songs, which used to piss Kelly off. Not a lot of love lost between these two or their fans.

Carrie can really only sing vowels. She acts the intended mood of a song well. Modern country stardom is based on this. No doubt that Carrie is the bigger star and better selling artist than Kelly. We don't care about these things much, you and I. Clive Davis tried to bury Kelly and that pisses me off. She doesn't fly over a stage or wear a gown well, but she is doing fine.

Sorry to make you watch this, but Carrie shows her good legs and there are special effects. Kelly is going to cover this song next post, and bury Carrie. Compare and contrast babe. I am not usually so mean when teaching, but sometimes I gotta spank it.

by Anonymousreply 55410/02/2013

Part Two.

I was there at the Troubadour this night. The hair on me stood up like rows of soldiers when she sang this song. Never heard it before. I don't follow Ms. Underwood, surprise.

Kelly goes somewhere else with this song. The sound is a bit distorted here, but it wasn't there and it was beautiful. She gets flak for her covers sometimes, because she is too good and her own recorded material are not always great songs. She finds a way around it.

Compare and contrast. Be good.

by Anonymousreply 55510/02/2013

Part Three.

Maybe this version is better? Will I be kicked out of the lounge for three postings of the same song, or bad grammar? My bf thinks I am obsessive.

Kelly covers springsteen and eminem and olivia newton john and creed and radio head and bruno mars and rihanna and gaga and annie lennox and britney spears and keith urban and coldplay for better or worse or different.

She only buried carrie.

I hope you are well and handsome as always kid.

by Anonymousreply 55610/02/2013

Prince of L.A.

It's brown-eyed soul day kid!

Al Green is all smooth and rough and pure pimp innocence. I love him and his bad ass sexy voice. The song is sort of PoP, my boy called me daddy all night long and it's Thanksgiving Day! It's the big Marco, Charlie Brown.

I hope you are well, kindred friend. Stay sweet J.

"How Can You Mend a Broken Heart."

by Anonymousreply 55710/13/2013

"Hard Times Come Again No More"

This is one of my favourite songs. If you are a piano student, you learn how to play Stephen Foster's songs.

Everyone does this song - Springsteen, James Taylor, Jennifer Warnes, the McGarrigle sisters, Emmylou Harris, Mary J Blige, First Aid Kit and Yo Yo Ma. It's public domain and always alive.

For Brown-eyed soul, we need some Mavis Staples. Not much range to her voice now, but the lyrics, her tone of voice and turn of phrase will have to do. Soul. Trendy always.

by Anonymousreply 55810/16/2013

Adam Lambert

by Anonymousreply 55910/16/2013

LA J KID,

Are you OK? Did you just say goodbye to me in an eponymous thread? I don't love my name used that way, but you must have your reasons. Your language seemed distressed...

Let me know if I can help.

by Anonymousreply 56010/18/2013

Connie Francis

by Anonymousreply 56110/18/2013

No. Was just drunk and made the DL worst thing ever, which was to get personal. All is fine. Meant what I said though... Hope you and your husband are well in MONTREAL, which I can't believe I erred in remembering. Send more links. And yes, I do love Gaga and make not apologies for that :)

by Anonymousreply 56210/18/2013

"A Change is gonna Come."

Listen I am sorry. I really thought that other thread was a bit of a swipe at me, even though you were saying thanks. I am a bit of an ass sometimes, but it was a bit hard to understand. Next time you bid farewell to cruel DL, don't put my name in the title. Confused me. I really just liked this thread and you. I have tried to expand your knowledge, but I have enjoyed you and our interaction for many reasons and you are my favourite thing about DL. Capisce?

I have never mentioned Gaga - that seems to be a point? I can't include her with the great singers, but love who you want. I liked her quite a bit before the monster of fame overtook her and her promise. She is talented enough to turn it around.

I am sending you a local woman, L.A. born Beth Hart. Epic singer, fine musician on piano, and a very good songwriter. She may sound just like a Janis wannabe, but her voice is so much more. She studied opera, and of course went another way. A better way, but it gave her the breath control and muscle memory to sing those long base lines and downtown runs with fantastic finesse, and to let her voice rip. Training. Learn it and then let it go. But don't underestimate it, indie boy:)

Hart is soulful and powerful as Aretha, Etta and Janis, with the hummingbird vibrato of a young Stevie Nicks and the big rock voice of Grace Slick. Makes her sound like an ethereal wreck and the stone cold truth. I don't know why this woman is not considered the greatest female voice in music for the last 10 years? She is not underrated, she is just not commercially celebrated in the US. Big star in Europe. She had some problems with mental illness and drugs and booze, which gets in the way of marketing:)

She sounds better than ever these days. Check her out live next time she plays L.A. Forty bucks to blow your mind. I bet you know of her, but this thread was about pop and I was trying to stick to the theme. Beth is one of my favourite singers. She is also a beautiful soul. Not a friend of mine, but I have seen her perform as often as I can.

Hey.

by Anonymousreply 56310/22/2013

Beth (ditto)

This is one of her own songs, and not a fan vid, so the beauty of her voice is clear.

by Anonymousreply 56410/22/2013

oh fuck, the link.

Baddest Blues.

by Anonymousreply 56510/22/2013

The great guitarists of the world love Beth Hart, for good reason. This is the Etta James song "I'd Rather go Blind."

Jeff Beck took her to the Kennedy Center last year for a tribute to Buddy Guy. She was cleaned up and nervous, sang this song for your president and brought the room to it's feet. My sister and I were jumping up and down, yelling "Beth Hart is on the TV." (Idiots)

by Anonymousreply 56610/22/2013

Angela Bofill!

by Anonymousreply 56710/22/2013

Aw shit. I hoped that meant Marco in Montreal mini-meltown would mean he's leave DL.

by Anonymousreply 56810/22/2013

Non je ne regrette rien, r568.

by Anonymousreply 56910/22/2013

M from M, I adore you and would never do a thing to harm you. It was actually my way of paying homage. SO sorry you misread it, but glad we're cool now. Now, I shall listen to your links.

Love you much!!

by Anonymousreply 57010/23/2013

Om fucking God, Marco. Beth Hart? Amazing

by Anonymousreply 57110/23/2013

She can't sing that well, but I LOVE this song. Thalia Zedek.

by Anonymousreply 57210/23/2013

Boys: Freddie Mercury, Daryl Hall, Steve Perry, Adam Lambert

Girls: Aretha Franklin, Barbra Streisand, Donna Summer, Patsy Cline, Dusty Springfield, Linda Ronstadt

by Anonymousreply 57310/23/2013

Chris Montez.

by Anonymousreply 57410/23/2013

Elvis Presley

by Anonymousreply 57510/24/2013

Too many people know your first name....

I loved that song kid. I keep saying the name Thalia Zedek. Thanks for your kindness and deep dark sweetness. I feel it.

My God loves you, like the sun loves California. It's a bit of a mash up...

by Anonymousreply 57610/24/2013

"And your god hates me". I mean, come on? Only Elliott Smith, Kurt Cobain, and Patti Smith could write lines like that.

by Anonymousreply 57710/24/2013

Elaine "Spanky" McFarlane's voice reminds me of a hybrid of Mama Cass and Grace Slick.

by Anonymousreply 57810/24/2013

I'll just throw in Sharleen Spiteri because I loved her last gig.

by Anonymousreply 57910/24/2013

R356, that was something.

I hate the audience whooping and hollering though. Why do they do that?

by Anonymousreply 58010/24/2013

R579

Who doesn't love lesbians? Some of my best friends...

This video was my first introduction to Beth Hart, sent to me by a friend who is likely a lesbian:) I was scared of Beth when she rhymed with Meth. But girl could sing and turn everyone on.

"Am I the One"

by Anonymousreply 58110/24/2013

No more working El Dorado.

Last Beth Hart song. Live through it, and you can write about it.

"Sister Heroine"

It's a beautiful song and vocal. Written for her HIV+ heroin addicted dead sister. Could be for herself. Sounds like an old Tom Waits song, except it's real.

Now I need some kid to teach me about Kurt Cobain in 18 posts or less, or we can take a walk in good company.

by Anonymousreply 58210/24/2013

Sorry about Cobain. Kurt doesn't belong here, and I can't be converted about him anyway. I certainly would not making fun of him though.

Whitney won this thread title a long way back. We have been here for a year! Soon we will speak of other things. I will meet you at the dark end of the street, one fine day. Because the night.

Whitney had soul even if most of her songs didn't. She almost had it all. If you don't know me by now, I'm the one who loves you kid.

Listen to the melody - the song remembers when. Don't do our things with other boys.

"A song For You."

by Anonymousreply 58310/27/2013

Can't let this thread end without Gladys Knight. She never shouts, over-runs or oversings. Her voice is a tonal wonder. It's hard to find a "spectacular" performance but harder to find a bad performance of hers, ever. She is a gorgeous vocalist.

The sound of her voice gives such comfort and meaning to any lyric, and her on the beat syncopation or behind the beat soul singing is the understated best.

by Anonymousreply 58410/29/2013

I can't believe no one has mentioned Macy Gray...

by Anonymousreply 58510/29/2013

I was just listening to Macy Gray's debut - it's a classic.

by Anonymousreply 58610/29/2013

Two of the best singers ever and Chaka Khan! Ha. Chaka looks great and feels fine it seems. Blues and coke and pros at work.

Gladys Knight's voice is just as real as rain. She comes in full and strong and easy. The good girl. Etta James was great of course, but not always.

This number should have been better somehow, but BB King and Gladys make it worthwhile. History is an angel, blowing backward into the future.

"Ain't Nobodys Business"

by Anonymousreply 58710/29/2013

Amazing how, after nearly a year and almost 600 posts, the word "dynamic" seems to present a puzzler for most people posting here.

by Anonymousreply 58810/29/2013

I don't think people are really puzzled. They just want to "squee" over their favourites.

by Anonymousreply 58910/29/2013

r588, r590.

What do you know about the meaning of dynamics as it applies to singers and musicians? Explain.

by Anonymousreply 59010/29/2013

Mr. Marco! How've you been?

by Anonymousreply 59111/06/2013

Gladys Knight serves the songs and the music, Whitney Houston served Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 59211/06/2013

Whitney Houston served Clive Davis.

by Anonymousreply 59311/06/2013

Clay Aiken delivers everything this thread is about and does it with panache.

by Anonymousreply 59411/06/2013

Whitney Houston hit every note with a hammer, powered the scale without so much as a breath and influenced every female singer since.

WH ITNEY. OWNS THIS THREAD FROM THE GITGO.

by Anonymousreply 59511/06/2013

Whitney Houston did serve Clive Davis. Some have lived to tell. He didn't kill her, but he sure does profit from her bones.

She was born to sing as we all know, but then, when they found out she could sing like THAT, she was launched! She was a fucking stunner. Whitney was presented with pretty good songs and weird clothes and old beyond her years. She was a bit awkward, reluctant to show herself. She sang clear and sweet.

She was a born Diva - Aretha, Dionne, Cissy, Luther - her family and mentors. But she was a next-to-ghetto girl from New Jersey in the early eighties. She was not about to be held down too long...

Whitney had her own god bless the child thing, beyond the POP songs and gowns and Cissy and Clive. She had her VOICE and the way it made people feel. She got to know it, and she loved showing it off. She was not a selfish insular Diva to her fans. She presented what god gave her, in the ways that she was told, but she also sang live in the ways that she wanted and felt. Her personal rebellion of style, men, women, drugs and song interpretation - resulted in a bit of loss of that clear high voice and bettered her overall sound. Her best time artistically. She became more soulful, her voice was richer, with a bit of a catch. Her beautiful head voice and her freak chest voice with the upper belts fully there, but with a glass grain in her throat, her deep tones down a dark spiritual run. I have many more favourite singers, but there is no better voice than Whitney Houston's on top.

She chose drugs over discipline, days over years and sublime moments over the whole damn show. Eventually she was viewed as someone who was squandering her gift. Not much twitter - because her gift was so phenomenal.

Her voice is what a kid hears and feels as hundreds of drums approach in a parade, or what the faithful experience at the sound of bells from great cathedrals, or the terrible sound of clear destruction. That voice is larger than Whitney, bigger than her songs and more important than Clive Davis.

Whitney Houston was an event, but never a fake. She was a sweet presence, not even sexy. Funny that. She was in service to her voice as much as to the singing. She fucking wowed people and stood tall and gave what she had even when her voice was threatning memory. Her caliber of voice was its own tyrant. She gave it back to all of her creators. She was done singing.

by Anonymousreply 59611/06/2013

Mr. Marco been fine kid. I think the kid is in love, am I right? I hope it was an accident?

I am composing and fucking and cooking and playing ball and being sweet most of the time. Thankfully I am much better at those things than writing short posts on anonymous message boards.

As Russian flight attendants say, "Soon, now you will come to the end of journey and so we must take our parting." Sounds ominous but just means we are almost there, right?

How are you la-J-kid? I do love you some, I really do. In three languages and purple prose. You like me too, I have myself convinced. You get the last word, here. Ha.

Sometimes I like to listen to a girl (or two) with a guitar sing sweetly about Icarus descending, the patterns in the clouds and the lonely fall of love. Stay sweet J. I think you're swell.

We are not done of course. Regards babe.

by Anonymousreply 59711/07/2013

[598]

Her caliber of voice was its own tyrant. She gave it back to all of her creators. She was done singing.

Whitney Houston was an incredible, singular phenomenon.

by Anonymousreply 59811/08/2013

Angel J face. I miss you sometimes. I hope you are well. There seems to be a space of light, here in our old meeting place, at the dark end of the street. Two spots. You best follow me.

I was such a pig on this thread. I didn't understand or much care how it was supposed to be played. I apologize for monopolizing your thread with my long posts and wordy arrogance. You did learn a bit, but after a while I only wanted to learn about you and impress myself. There is some great shit posted on this thread, by myself and others. In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade...just like your mama played.

Here is a high class song I want to add, by a woman who has always been 5 feet away from Leonard Cohen. Sharon Robinson. Not dynamic, she is something more. It is okay to sing beautifully. Cohen always wants that behind his words. Leonard isn't here for too much longer - but will always be the truth, in his fashion. Whitney too. Pieces of string too small to save, yet we have made more than a thread of them. Come to Montreal. Again.

I love you J.

by Anonymousreply 59907/21/2014

Me. Whitney.

by Anonymousreply 60009/11/2014
Need more help? Click Here.