Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Kathie Lee Gifford Musical 'Scandalous' Opens On Broadway To Harsh Reviews

The New York Times' Charles Isherwood wrote. "Sorry, guys. 'Scandalous' isn't so much scandalously bad as it is generic and dull."

Variety wrote, "Scandalous" is another big-budget, evangelist-with-feet-of-clay tale from the hinterlands, and despite various prior incarnations, it looks woefully out of place on a Broadway stage."

Newsday lamented, "It's also not interesting, alas, at least not interesting enough to sustain 21/2 hours of fast-forward storytelling and inspirational songs that almost always end in throbbing climax."

And every reviewer had nothing but raves for Carmello. The Times, for instance, called her a "a gloriously gifted singing actress."

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

In the spirit of "Newsies" and "The Pajama Game," can someone please write a musical about Kathie Lee's Central American sweatshops?

by Anonymousreply 111/16/2012

Oh, how terribly, terribly horrid! And she worked for so many years on this drek. Whatever will she drone on about when this turkey closes?

by Anonymousreply 211/16/2012

Will this close as quickly as Cheyenne Jackson's (and the rest) Performers?

by Anonymousreply 311/16/2012

Why do shows have such boring, generic names these days? The Performers. Scandalous. Two unimaginative titles that signify nothing and wouldn't bring me in even if the shows were better.

by Anonymousreply 411/16/2012

She had a west coast opening on this show several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 511/16/2012

I feel kind of bad for her; she's been working on this show for a dozen years. Plus, in the Seattle tryouts, it wasn't reviewed so harshly, so you think you might have a hit or mild hit on your hands.

And for the cast--this is a job, perhaps a necessary job. So I feel badly for them.

by Anonymousreply 611/16/2012

I saw it. It's FABULOUS! The reviewers are all wrong.

by Anonymousreply 711/16/2012

It can't be FABULOUS! if it came from Kathie Lee Gifford.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

[quote]It can't be FABULOUS! if it came from Kathie Lee Gifford. We beg to differ.

by Anonymousreply 911/17/2012

You know what would be really cool? If she died.

by Anonymousreply 1011/17/2012

Was Cody in it? I lubs Cody.

by Anonymousreply 1111/17/2012

Has it closed yet?

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

The founders of Amway, one of those family values firm are the ones that financed this turkey. Take comfort in the loss of their money.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

It'll live on for years very profitably touring the flyover states and the deep south in a non-equity (sweatshop) production.

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

[quote] a musical about Kathie Lee's Central American sweatshops?

Kathie Lee would never exploit the children of war torn Central America.....they were Asian sweatshops.

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

Cody.....BRING ME THE AXE!!!! and a drink!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

Kathie Lee Gifford thinks she is queen of Christians. Like so many Jews (she was born Kathie Lee EPSTEIN) she has to be front and center and nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 1811/19/2012

I'm not from you . . . I'm from Jesus!

by Anonymousreply 1911/19/2012

I hope it doesn't close too soon. I was hoping to see this, with a pre-theater meal at Guy Fieri's new place!!

by Anonymousreply 2011/19/2012

Why does she labor under the misperception that she can sing? Even if judged on a karaoke level, her singing isn't that good. I'd be embarrassed to be on stage with that voice at all, let alone star in a musical with it.

by Anonymousreply 2111/19/2012

Kathie Lee does not sing or star in Scandalous.

by Anonymousreply 2211/19/2012

Kathie Lee's first husband was gay

by Anonymousreply 2311/19/2012

Aww, that's what friends do.

by Anonymousreply 2411/19/2012

What kind of spin are they putting on this on the Today show? I assume it is a HUGE SRO hit?

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

Why not just open it in Branson? Why make the fundies schlep all the way to New York to see it?

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

R20 is on the right track. Sometimes (long into a run, I think) you'll see a "package" with a particular Bway show and a particular restaurant; "Scandalous" and Guy Fieri's Times Square restaurant ought to officially do a "package"!

(and barf bags, anyone??)

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!