Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Is Susan Rice Going To Be Put Up For SOS?

Well?

by Anonymousreply 3911/17/2012

Who knows? Who cares, really?

by Anonymousreply 111/16/2012

Rice has two young children, maybe she isn't interested in the job.

by Anonymousreply 211/16/2012

r1 is either not American, or r1 is a typical stupid American.

by Anonymousreply 311/16/2012

She will not be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 411/16/2012

I never liked her.

But it bugs that the GOP is so hateful towards her. It's like they're saying, "Too many black people at the top!"

by Anonymousreply 511/16/2012

I hope not. I do not like her either. I think Obama could do a lot better for the Secretary of State position.

by Anonymousreply 611/16/2012

There's actually a good column in the WP by Dana Milbank about why she should not be the SOS. I really have no opinion of her one way or the other, but Dana's a pretty even handed guy so I think his criticism of her has some real merit.

by Anonymousreply 711/16/2012

Susan Rice rubs a lot of people the wrong way. She's very stand-offish, and she rarely smiles. She doesn't project a very friendly demeanor, and I think that would be bad for our Secretary of State.

Albright, Condi Rice, and Clinton at least had the personality thing going for them. Susan Rice has no personality whatsoever.

Also, as someone else mentioned on another SOS thread, John Kerry is better suited, because the SOS needs the Congressional connections, as well - which Susan Rice doesn't have.

I'm surprised that Obama isn't even floating Kerry's name out there. He seems like the obvious choice.

by Anonymousreply 811/16/2012

Milbank made a lot of hay criticizing Obama for his 2008 trip to Europe. In my opinion, that criticism was unfair. Hence, I take what he says with a grain or two of salt.

by Anonymousreply 911/16/2012

[quote]I'm surprised that Obama isn't even floating Kerry's name out there. He seems like the obvious choice.

Why would the Democrats want to go through yet another Senate race in MA?

by Anonymousreply 1011/16/2012

R8 - what favorable personality did Condi Rice have?

by Anonymousreply 1111/16/2012

Patreaus' testimony today verifies that the information she stated on the Sunday morning talk shows about Benghazi was information that came directly from the CIA. What Rice stated were CIA talking points.

So much for the GOP nonsense that they've been spouting all week long.

If one is a Democrat, why would you dislike Rice?

When she has appears on camera, she seems like a very intelligent cordial individual.

Dr. Rice graduated from the National Cathedral School (private day girl school), Standford U-Phi Beta Kappa, Rhodes Scholar at Oxford with MBA and PHD degrees.

She should be nominated for SOS if she is interested in the position.

Senator John Kerry should stay in his Senate seat unless there is another hidden gem in Massachusetts like Elizabeth Warren which of course is higly unlikely.

by Anonymousreply 1211/16/2012

R12, what does it say about MA that we always have to worry about them electing Scott Brown?

In a state which is supposedly progressive and well-educated, you'd think they wouldn't even consider voting him back in.

by Anonymousreply 1311/16/2012

I've never liked her either but if Get Off My Lawn McCain and Miss Graham are going to go after Rice, I will be forced to support her.

Thanks, Senators Fuckwit and Fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 1411/16/2012

So then if Susan Rice is nicht gut, who then? What are the alternate choices?

by Anonymousreply 1511/16/2012

R13, I totally agree with you. There should be plenty of strong progressive candidates in the state, but as we saw with Martha Coakley, that evidently is not the case.

by Anonymousreply 1611/16/2012

Say what you will about Susan Rice, she's definitely a smart and tough lady. And we know how much Republicans HATE that combination.

by Anonymousreply 1711/16/2012

I like John Kerry, but I'm not sure we need a second special election in Massachusetts in 3 years. The well-funded buffoon Scott Brown would surely run again. That would be tough, as any winning Democratic candidate would also have to run another campaign for a full term only a year later. There have to be other well-qualified SoS candidates besides Rice & Kerry.

Another wrench is that Patty Murray is already outgoing as chair of the DSCC (she'll be chairing the Budget Committee). So there might be a temporary lack of organizational leadership in having a strategy to select a good candidate. I just don't think it's a good idea to risk a Senate seat so soon after such a momentum-building election, especially a seat up in 2014.

by Anonymousreply 1811/16/2012

I've never liked her much either. However, the more that John McCain and Lindsey Graham trash her, the more my defensive instincts kick in. Now I want her to be nominated and confirmed just to fuck over those two.

by Anonymousreply 1911/16/2012

10 Questions for Susan Rice...

Get to know her a little better.

by Anonymousreply 2011/16/2012

That link doesn't tell me anything new, R20. I still don't like her, I've never liked her. A canned interview with Time magazine isn't going to change that.

I will still defend Ambassador Rice from unfair attacks because they are unfair and unfounded, not because I like her. If our President nominates her for SoS then I will back that choice.

by Anonymousreply 2111/16/2012

Rumors are not necessarily true.

Often they are meaningless and based on gossip or erroneous legend or supposition or jealousy or wishful thinking or deviousness or lies that are passed around as truth by weak-minded people.

For example, the continuous rumors over years that Jennifer Aniston is pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 2211/16/2012

[quote] what favorable personality did Condi Rice have?

Appeal to the S&M crowd?

by Anonymousreply 2311/16/2012

I heard she will open with "The Winner Takes it All" and then close with "Waterloo" as per the film.

by Anonymousreply 2411/16/2012

sorry, wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 2511/16/2012

It's all but been confirmed that her nomination is a done deal. Obama is nominating her. There's no room for discussion with him. This is why he's so pissed off. He will not give it to Kerry, because they want him to keep his seat and not let Brown take it.

Kerry is going to be livid when he doesn't get the position. He's wanted it since 2008.

by Anonymousreply 2611/16/2012

R26 is correct. Unfortunately, Obama s going to waste a lot of political capital with her nomination, and she's not worth it. She's not as smart as you think she is.

by Anonymousreply 2711/16/2012

Why not bill clinton? If not SOS then in ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 2811/16/2012

R26 - There's talk of Kerry being Sec of Defense.

by Anonymousreply 2911/16/2012

What about Bill Clinton?

by Anonymousreply 3011/16/2012

Wow I my phone made a huge mess of that. If not SOS than why not UN ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 3111/16/2012

No that's Condi Rice

by Anonymousreply 3211/17/2012

I had heard, years ago, that President Clinton might take UN Ambassador. I don't know if it's still true.

What is this "there's no talking to him" and "he'll waste a lot of political capital" concern trolling supposed to accomplish?

McCain and Graham lost this argument today. It's done. Rice acted appropriately and publicly said only what was cleared as unclassified. Rice has become a non-issue.

But hey, since all Republicans do is hurt their candidates by manufacturing this bullshit, have at it.

by Anonymousreply 3311/17/2012

[quote][R26] - There's talk of Kerry being Sec of Defense.

Kerry is going nowhere. Obama won't let him. They need his seat.

[quote]McCain and Graham lost this argument today. It's done. Rice acted appropriately and publicly said only what was cleared as unclassified. Rice has become a non-issue.

No, dear. The Right has not changed its story. They will be in lockstep not voting for her, and blasting the president for "killing four innocent Americans."

Bill Clinton attached to anything is a good deal. Bill Clinton as president again would be the smartest thing in the world. Fucking stupid amendment.

by Anonymousreply 3411/17/2012

[quote]Susan Rice rubs a lot of people the wrong way. She's very stand-offish, and she rarely smiles. She doesn't project a very friendly demeanor, and I think that would be bad for our Secretary of State.

Wasn't Condi Rice pretty much the same way? The GOP love her then and they still love her now.

by Anonymousreply 3511/17/2012

[quote] The Right has not changed its story. They will be in lockstep not voting for her, and blasting the president for "killing four innocent Americans."

Hmmm... I never thought about that. If Obama is dead set on having her at SOS, then he's not thinking it through, either.

The confirmation process could be a lengthy fight, and Republicans will make it a point to call attention to the Bengazi situation at every opportunity possible.

Like it or not, Bengazi is a pretty ugly situation for the President, because Republicans are using it as a talking point, and even Petraeus is saying that there was a severe lack of intelligence regarding Bengazi.

He should definitely not keep the story in the news, because it adds fuel to the fire that Republicans are trying to burn, and Obama doesn't need that right now.

He needs to use his political capital to GET THINGS DONE.

I agree that forcing S. Rice through the confirmation process will be ugly and drawn out. Why doesn't he see that?

Kerry is best qualified for SOS, and Massachusetts just needs to get its shit together, and elect Caroline Kennedy to replace him!!!

by Anonymousreply 3611/17/2012

I don't think I've ever seen Susan Rice smile.

Now that you point out her lack of smiling, I realize she is most poker faced individual I've ever seen.

I cannot think of anyone who smiles less than she does.

by Anonymousreply 3711/17/2012

My guess is Pres Obama's angry reply to McCain at the press conference is a signal he will appoint someone other than Rice. He supported Rice, but wouldn't want to waste political power with a long confirmation process.

If Gov Patrick runs for the senate, it should be when Kerry's 6-year term is over, not in a special election. Massachusetts has a history of electing moderate Republicans, so Kerry will stay in the senate for now.

Surely, there are other people who could do the job well beside Rice and Kerry.

by Anonymousreply 3811/17/2012

Now, people like Lindsay Graham are preparing to run on the Benghazi story.

This is turning into the Starr investigation all over again. It's even a Dem president's second term.

by Anonymousreply 3911/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.