Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

American Horror Story: Asylum, thread two

Five episodes in and we've already hit the max on the first thread.

Ratings are up from the first season and Jessica Lange has signed on for season three.

And a warning for those delicate souls who can't handle this season, direct from Ryan Murphy:

[quote]The next episode is probably the darkest episode we've ever done and I would say it's the bottom. So from the bottom you start to climb up to the top.

More from Murphy at the link.

by Anonymousreply 60101/17/2013

More from Murphy:

[quote]there's three episodes in a row that really get you deep into the mind of this killer and a lot of backstory explanation and a lot of flashbacks that talk about why he is doing what he's doing and how is society to blame in some regard. They're really tough to watch and strong.

by Anonymousreply 111/16/2012

true enough.

by Anonymousreply 311/16/2012

I'm usually very bad at noticing stuff like this, but the heck is going on with Sarah Paulson's face? Those lips and cheeks do not occur in nature.

by Anonymousreply 411/16/2012

R4 They are ruining her performance for me. The vast majority of her face does not move. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 511/16/2012

All of the work makes her look so much older than 36.

by Anonymousreply 611/16/2012

Do you think there's something wrong with Murphy?

by Anonymousreply 711/16/2012

[quote] ratings are up for this season.

Ratings were up for Glee season 2, also. Until people started to WATCH Glee season 2, and then ratings went down for season 3.

The reason ratings are so high this season, is because Murphy did something very RIGHT in season one. People loved it BECAUSE it was campy and lighthearted, but still scary but not TOO gruesome.

But in true Ryan Murphy style, he goes off the deep end in his second season, and he will start to lose viewers in season three. It ALWAYS happens with his shows.

People are legitimately complaining about the graphic and overtly gratuitous violence this season - for a reason. If Murphy chooses to ignore these complaints, then I can GUARANTEE that season three ratings will be down.

He needs to LISTEN to people, and shift gears.

Another problem is that Murphy always, and I mean ALWAYS turns his shows into a soapbox, which people start to pick up on, and then tune out.

Glee started out as a lighthearted fun show about high school singing and glee club, and then turned into a weekly PSA about bullying and gay issues. Viewers want to be entertained, not lectured.

Same thing with AHS. Season one was about a family living in a haunted house, and all the events that came with it. Fine! It was fun and spooky.

Season two is another lecture about the horrors of how the mentally ill, and gay people, and Jews, etc., were treated in those days. And although it's an important message, I'm starting to feel lectured-to and preached at again.

I don't want a goddamned lecure when I watch television. I just want to be fucking entertained.

So please listen to us, Ryan Murphy. There is too much graphic violence this season, and there are too many "causes" being taken up this season.

Go back to the formula for season one, or AHS will go the way of Glee and Nip/Tuck.

by Anonymousreply 811/16/2012

Well said, R8.

by Anonymousreply 911/16/2012

R8 sounds like a frustrated screenwriter who couldn't make it in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 1011/16/2012

[quote]People are legitimately complaining about the graphic and overtly gratuitous violence this season - for a reason.

Where are you seeing this beyond a few grumpy eldergays here at DL?

I do agree that Ryan Murphy's shows usually go off the rails, but that's the beauty of AHS. He starts fresh every season.

Comparing ratings for the second seasons of Glee and AHS makes no real sense.

by Anonymousreply 1111/16/2012

I agree completely, R8.

I think Murphy is trying to make up for a lack of ideas by throwing as much gore and brutality into every episode in the hopes that viewers won't notice.

We want more Hitchcock and less Eli Roth, please.

by Anonymousreply 1211/16/2012

Also, I assume R8 is one of the dipshits suggesting the third season should be set in colonial America.

I think you are trying to make AHS something it is not and something it was never intended to be.

by Anonymousreply 1311/16/2012

I'm really excited at the possibility of a 70's giallo-themed season set in a ballet academy. And I hope it's gory as shit.

by Anonymousreply 1411/16/2012

R8, I'm more than happy to have people see what gay people were once subjected to. I'm sure Jews would say the same thing about the Nazi stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1511/16/2012

To anyone who thinks this is "too dark", look up "Willowbrook State School", or read about the "treatments" of "Doctor" Henry Cotton at "Trenton Psychiatriac".

And many who went to catholic school in the 60s/70s can tell you exactly what the "holy sisters" are capable of.

by Anonymousreply 1611/16/2012

'American Horror Story: Asylum': Zachary Quinto talks Bloody Face, Dr. Thredson and Season 3

[quote]"Next week's show is called 'The Origins of Monstrosity,'" Quinto teased on a conference call with reporters to discuss the season so far. "It really dives into a lot of the roots of the characters in this asylum. A lot of things will become clear and probably even more disturbing in the next couple of weeks."

by Anonymousreply 1811/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 1911/16/2012

"It Could Be A Wonderful World" by Leon Bibb

Someone on the first thread asked about the song played during the last sequence of the new episode and I didn't see anybody reply to that query.

by Anonymousreply 2011/17/2012

Wouldn't Patty Duke be quite something on a third season of this show? In my imagination, I could see Patty Duke really sinking her teeth into a role in this show. She'd compliment what Lily Rabe and her 'Lily Rabe-ing' does really well and yet she could also hold her own against Jessica Lange really well even though their acting styles are different.

Patty also seems to have a good sense of humor about herself and that would work well.

by Anonymousreply 2111/17/2012

Hi Patty!!

by Anonymousreply 2211/17/2012

I wonder if Quinto knew he would be playing a psycho serial killer, rather than being as suprised as the audience when he received the script.

by Anonymousreply 2311/17/2012

Only if she plays Twin cousins.

by Anonymousreply 2411/17/2012

They've mashed up just about every horror movie out there - what's left? Jason at Crystal Lake Summer Camp?

by Anonymousreply 2511/17/2012

R23, from the article posted upthread:

On when he learned that Thredson was Bloody Face...

"I knew from the very beginning. It was part of the conversation I had with Ryan [Murphy] about me coming back to the second installment show in the first place. [Knowing Thredson was Bloody Face] very much informed the character I was building from the beginning. I felt my responsibility was to create a character people could trust initially, and perhaps hope he's the one voice of reason and sanity in this chaotic world. It gave me more to play with and more to hold back, more secrets to keep."

by Anonymousreply 2611/17/2012

Thanks, r26. Didn't see that post.

by Anonymousreply 2811/17/2012

It's a genuinely shocking show, the last two episodes in particular. I had to turn off the first part of the "I am Anne Frank" two-parter when it aired because the aversion therapy scene was so hard to watch (I watched the rest of it later), and I was really shocked at the scene in this week's episode with Shelley on the steps of the elementary school and (especially) the final scene with Dr. thredson wearing Lana's lover's teeth on his Bloody face mask (at first i thought he was wearing Lana's own teeth, and I was REALLY shocked--and then I realized it was her partner's which was awful but not quite as horrifying).

If that makes me a Mary, so be it. At least I'm not a jaded, seen-it-all bitch. The show is purposefully trying to shock people, and it's succeeding. For some people it's going to be a real turn-off when the shows genuinely succeeds at shocking them, and the show's runners (and the inevitable whiners here about other people's purported pearl-clutching) have to deal with that. That's always the problem with horror as a genre: if it succeeds TOO well, people are not titillated but are turned off instead.

In retrospect, though, I don't think they've gone too far. When i saw the entirety of the aversion therapy scene, it was sickening and upsetting but it was not endless, and was indeed mercifully brief; and they've actually been pretty tasteful about not showing people actually physically tortured (we've seen the aftermaths of torture and dismemberment, but very little of the actual torture and dismemberment themselves).

I'm certainly going to keep watching, but they ARE going right to the edge. I've never seen a TV show get away with as much as this show is this season.

by Anonymousreply 2911/17/2012

The people complaining about the violence and horror are really pathetic. Turn it off. And those that are saying Jessica Lange probably doesn't like the direction it's going have no idea and are just projecting that on to her from their own delicate psyches. Jessica is a full-grown woman who can make her own decisions, and the fact that she signed on for season three pretty much shows that she is down with Ryan Murphy's vision.

This season is better than the first, and the ratings also reflect that a bit. If horror is disturbing to you, then please don't watch a horror show made in 2012. Go back to watching The Uninvited on TCM.

by Anonymousreply 3011/17/2012

I'd also love to see Patty Duke on "American Horror Story: Asylum" in a special episode called "It Was NOT a Nuthouse!" where they show Neely O'Hara brought to Briarcliff to cure her many neuroses and addictions.

"My shrink says I'm self-destructive. (pause) SO WHAT!!!"

by Anonymousreply 3211/17/2012

Of course, R31. Everyone knows she signed on so she could paddle Evan Peters' balls from behind.

by Anonymousreply 3311/17/2012

I would love to see Neely O'Hara flush Sister Jude's habit down a toilet.

by Anonymousreply 3411/17/2012

If someone on here knows Jessica Lange personally -- could you please tell her that I love her and her work!

TIA! =)

by Anonymousreply 3511/17/2012

Did Lily Rabe tell that little girl she was the Devil in the preview for next weeks episode?

by Anonymousreply 3611/17/2012

[quote]If someone on here knows Jessica Lange personally -- could you please tell her that I love her and her work! TIA! =)

"Hey Jessica, guess what?: Anonymous on the Internet loves you and your work! Wasn't that worth the telling?

by Anonymousreply 3711/17/2012

LOL, R37!

by Anonymousreply 3811/17/2012

Possible SPOILER below.

The quote below was taken from an interview with Ryan Murphy speculating about Kit and what is going on with him.

[quote]I think it’s interesting the aliens come after Kit has sex with women. That’s a really good clue. People should look at that. There’s something about that.

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 3911/17/2012

R39, hasn't it been said that a lot of people who think they've been abducted by aliens have actually been sexually abused, and that their recovered memories are manifested in that way? Maybe Kit's sexual experiences trigger that in his mind, and he thinks aliens are returning.

Just a theory...

by Anonymousreply 4011/17/2012

R40, but both Sister Jude and Grace have seen the aliens, too.

R31, go change your tampon. Jessica Lange knows exactly what she is doing. If she was turned off by this season, she wouldn't have signed on for another go-round.

by Anonymousreply 4111/17/2012

Are we to deduce that Kit is part alien then?

by Anonymousreply 4211/18/2012

Lol, R37! I was being facetious, since some folks on here talk like they know Lange personally, including her decision making process for selecting roles.

Seriously though, if anyone knows her, tell her she’s fabulous!

by Anonymousreply 4311/18/2012

Was Alma's body found? If so, what is the connection between Bloody Face and the aliens? Do they scoop up the 'spirits' of the people he kills as some sort of astral projection?

I like r40s idea. Grace claims she was abused. Maybe they're going for a Mysterious Skin angle.

by Anonymousreply 4511/18/2012

How can Kit be charged with Alma's murder when she was really kidnapped by aliens? Did the aliens leave behind a corpse that matches what Blood Face would have left behind? The criminal investigation of Blood Face must have really grasped at straws by picking on a guy who married a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 4611/18/2012

Interracial marriage wasn't legal in the United States until 1967 (R46). So authorities would have been happy to arrest a White guy crossing the color line.

by Anonymousreply 4711/18/2012

I really hope Sister Mary Eunice doesn't pull a Linda Blair with that crucifix she was grinding up on in the preview.

by Anonymousreply 4811/18/2012

R48 but she just has to. Lily Rabe and her 'Lily Rabe-ing' just have to be theatrical and bring the camp. It's what's centering the show at this point.

by Anonymousreply 4911/18/2012

[quote] Interracial marriage wasn't legal in the United States until 1967

Not completely true. Some states had already removed anti-miscegenation laws from their books long prior to the decision in Loving v. Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 5011/18/2012

For all our previous discussions of who they should cast in the latest Baby Jane remake, it's clear to me that Jessica Lange and Sissy Spacek would be combustible.

by Anonymousreply 5111/18/2012

All I know is that Evan Peters should be required to be at least partially naked every episode. That's an amazingly tasty ass.

by Anonymousreply 5211/18/2012

Unless R31 is Jessica Lange, they need to shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 5311/18/2012

Oh, Lindsay Duncan would be an atomic bomb of drama playing the right AHS character. She'd be the right foe to a Jessica Lange character like playing estranged sisters who despise each other or having a love/hate relationship.

by Anonymousreply 5411/18/2012

R50, and all of the New England is states are among them.

by Anonymousreply 5511/18/2012

I agree R54 it'd be epic. She is also very versatile. She played a French actress in one of the newest episodes of Ab Fab perfectly.

Sissy Spellcheck would also be a really good casting choice. I think she's actually friends with Jessica Lange.

by Anonymousreply 5611/18/2012

Jessica Lange was my first childhood crush when I saw her in Tootsie.

I have seen her training at my gym before. One time we made eye contact and she smiled at me. It made my day.

by Anonymousreply 5711/18/2012

Mia Farrow, Sissy Spacek, and Lange would make an excellent coven if they did a Salem witches series. Or as creepy ballet mistresses.

by Anonymousreply 5911/18/2012

I wish Spellcheck could regrow her original nose.

by Anonymousreply 6011/18/2012

Perhaps I should have put it like this instead, passing a law making interracial marriage legal does nothing to change racist attitudes. Legal or not the idea of Blacks and Whites marrying during that time period created lots of tension on both sides. So as shown in the flashback with Kit in the first episode, there were plenty of people around that were not in support of him being with a Black woman.

by Anonymousreply 6111/18/2012

I think there is a good bet that Lange and Spacek know each other. Spacek lives outside of Charlottesville, VA. Lange (and Sam Shepherd) lived outside of Orange, Virginia (about 20 miles away).

I lived in Charlottesville for the past 15 years, and run into both women at area restaurants, stores, and events. It is too small a town for the two not to know each other.

by Anonymousreply 6211/18/2012

not only know but LIKE each other i would imagine.

plus they played sisters in that goofy 80s flick with diane keaton...

by Anonymousreply 6311/18/2012

R62, and they did make a film together.

by Anonymousreply 6411/18/2012

If Sissy Spellcheck and Jessica Lange truly are friends then I think it would be great if they worked together on the next season of "American Horror Story." Everyone remembers "Carrie" even though Sissy Spellcheck is far more than that. She'd have a built in little audience of her very own from the break. It would also piss off Sarah Paulson a great deal and that would be wonderful.

[quote]Mia Farrow, Sissy Spacek, and Lange would make an excellent coven if they did a Salem witches series. Or as creepy ballet mistresses.

That would be really cool. Mia Farrow even has the build of a former prima ballerina, she is teeny tiny. I've met her a time or two at charitable events and she is soo small. Lovely lady, though, I am just snarking on her wee build is all.

by Anonymousreply 6511/18/2012

So every time Kit bangs a chick she gets abducted by aliens. I don't know what that means.

by Anonymousreply 6611/18/2012

I wish season 3 would have a Body Snatchers vibe to it. Small town being replaced by aliens. Jessica Lange could be the school principal. Or the mayor. Or the queen lien, who cares.

But a giallo inspired season also sounds interesting. I loved Deep Red and Suspiria.

by Anonymousreply 6711/18/2012

And Anne Frank's real name is Charlie Brown.

by Anonymousreply 6811/18/2012

I wish this was on on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 6911/19/2012

[quote]I wish season 3 would have a Body Snatchers vibe to it.

I agree.

The people wanting AHS season three set in the 1700s are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 7011/19/2012

Im one of the people who found the last episode depressing. Nothing bothered me up until then. But then it just felt like there was no fight left to the victims in the show -- no way for any of them to fight back.

It was like watching someone kick a chained dog.

That's not a horror story. There's no suspense. No adrenaline. It's just a despair story.

by Anonymousreply 7111/19/2012

R71 should stick to the Hallmark Channel.

by Anonymousreply 7211/19/2012

Fuck yeah, r72! High five, brah!

by Anonymousreply 7311/19/2012

Ryan Murphy mentions "this killer," which could be the Doctor. I have a feeling we're going to see some more of Auschwitz. Not much has been Maybe that's what he's talking about. Obviously it's something bad if PR made him issue a statement so as not to lose viewers.

by Anonymousreply 7411/20/2012

R71, we're like a third into the season.

by Anonymousreply 7511/20/2012

R74, what the fuck are you talking about?

All of you eldergays trying to paint this season as a failure are embarrassing yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 7611/20/2012

I wonder if Threadson was one of the twins experimented on in Auschwitz. My guess is that Arden tortured him and turned him into a killer. Lamps made from human skin and bowl made from bones are possibly foreshadowing that. Anyone else agree?

by Anonymousreply 7711/20/2012

Threadson must have learned it somewhere, so maybe he was Dr. Arden's protege.

by Anonymousreply 7811/20/2012

We've DVRd the series after hearing great things about season 1. The subject matter is hard but we love it.

by Anonymousreply 7911/20/2012

This season of AHS has been incredibly consistent in tone, just as last season was. This is a first for Murphy. Glee's tone was all over the fucking map, which it made it very unsatisfying to watch, although it had moments of supreme charm. This season might not be to everyone's taste, but that's sort of the point. Each season will have its own tone, setting, driving force, etc. Just as each episode of Twilight Zone had its own rules and regulations that governed it.

Just enjoy it. It's entertaining as hell. And I normally HATE horror of any kind.

by Anonymousreply 8011/20/2012

It is so hard to believe Mia Farrow was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen. Two men who couldn't be anymore different unless one was black.

by Anonymousreply 8111/20/2012

Still sad about what they did to Chlo-ay. She should have had the role that French chick is playing.

by Anonymousreply 8211/20/2012

[quote]It is so hard to believe Mia Farrow was married to both Frank Sinatra and Woody Allen. Two men who couldn't be anymore different unless one was black.

Mia and Woody were never married. They never even lived together. Woody however is married to Mia's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 8311/20/2012

Every time I watch, I picture Bill Hader as Stefon;

The hottest new club is called Asylum. It's got everything -- alien abductions, pinheads, possessed nuns, Nazi war criminals, serial killers, nymphomaniacs, exorcism, Anne Frank impersonators...

by Anonymousreply 8411/21/2012

That was fucking hysterical, R84.

by Anonymousreply 8511/21/2012

Nipple lamps, lesbian journalists, statues wearing lipstick...

by Anonymousreply 8611/21/2012

Wait, there's four Bloody Faces in the present day? And was that Dylan McDermott's voice on the phone?

by Anonymousreply 8711/21/2012

Lily Rabe for the Supporting Emmy, Globe & SAG win.

by Anonymousreply 8811/21/2012

So far this is, most definitely, the best episode of the me at least.

by Anonymousreply 8911/21/2012

I can't believe they're only on episode six. They're burning through story like nobody's business. Where are they gonna go from here?

by Anonymousreply 9011/21/2012

Zach Quinto pretend-sucking on Sarah Paulson's nipple is not something I ever wanted to see.

by Anonymousreply 9111/21/2012

Sister Eunice is gettin' her devil on!

by Anonymousreply 9211/21/2012

Lily Rabe was Lily Rabe-ing her ass off tonight!

by Anonymousreply 9311/21/2012

Three of the modern day Bloody Faces were local yahoos. The fourth Bloody Face is probably Dylan McDermott. Rumours are he is the "love child" of Lana and Thredson.

Dear god, I need a life.

by Anonymousreply 9411/21/2012

Funny, R89, I thought it was the worst.

And what was the deal with the "Bad Seed" child who seems to kill everyone in the same spot, and blame it on the same man. Were cops THAT stupid back then?

by Anonymousreply 9511/21/2012

I thought it was the 2nd worst. The one before Anne Frank pt. 1 was worse and more dull. This just felt like filler. And I didn't get the Monsignor acquiescing to Dr. Nazi after having been empathetic towards Shelley and revolted by what had been done to her. The Lily Rabe moment just felt like a 25 year old Maddona video.

by Anonymousreply 9611/22/2012

That scene between Lange and Conroy in the upcoming episode looks EPIC.

And it looks like Conroy is coming for some ass on Lange's behalf.

by Anonymousreply 9711/22/2012

P.S. I can't wait until Sister Jude comes face to face with the Devil. That's episode 9, I believe...

Rabe-ing better get ready for some Lange-ing...

by Anonymousreply 9811/22/2012

It wasn't a very good episode, but Lily Rabe is really killing it in the camp department. The angel coming in the next episode looks like shit is about to get crazier. It's good to see some more actors from the first season, especially whatshername.

by Anonymousreply 9911/22/2012

Discussion on misogyny being the real horror/devil of this season:

by Anonymousreply 10011/22/2012

Yes, it's one of them, along with racism, anti-Semitism, homophobia, etc. But the misogyny-as-an-evil theme will be lost on approximately two-thirds of DLers.

by Anonymousreply 10111/22/2012

Misogyny? Right. Which is why the villains on almost all of Ryan Murphy's shows are hysterical, mentally unstable women.

I like his shows, and I'm a fan of him as a writer, but I do have a problem with that he always likes to have it both ways, like on Glee. That show is so anti-bullying, but really relishes clever and cruel burns on the main cast.

by Anonymousreply 10211/22/2012

I think the message, which was said by a villain (Lily Rabe) in this episode and the Nazi hunter in a previous episode, is about being true to who you are as a person, and not bowing to the whims of society/religion/psychiatry.

Misogyny, racism, and homophobia are all tied into that. Even Chloe's nymphomania. If you don't fit into the image of what straight, white men wanted, you needed to be punished or molded. Just like Lana's aversion therapy or Anne's lobotomy.

Similarly, the first season was about being honest with yourself about your true nature and taking responsibility for that.

by Anonymousreply 10411/22/2012

Yeah, this was my least favorite ep of the season so far, too. But it makes sense to finally have some filler. This is pretty much the halfway point.

And I also thought it was Dylan McDermott's voice on the phone.

I have to say though, I think most of what Ryan Murphy touches starts off brilliant and quickly turns to shit. But this might be the perfect creative niche for him. The horror and the camp are somehow completely complimentary. I burst out laughing when Thredson called Lana "Mommy."

by Anonymousreply 10511/22/2012

I actually found the camp really undercutting the horror. I thought having the little girl look exactly like Rhoda Penmark (only brunette) undercut any sort of scariness she might have brought to the episode. And Lily Rabe camped it up no end this episode.

I guess this was good, in a way, because I was pretty shocked by last episode's conclusion (Mary!) and wanted a little time to pay attention to where the plot was going.

This is the first time I've ever seen Zach Quinto hunky. It must be the first time he's had to build muscle mass and get ripped for a role. He was kind of hot in the wife beater.

Did anyone else but me think we were going to find out the croque monsieur was made from human flesh rather than ham after Lana ate it with relish? Traditional American comfort food from one's mother is tomato soup and a grilled cheese, not tomato soup and a croque monsieur--I couldn't explain the change unless we were going to find out the "ham" was not swineflesh at all.

by Anonymousreply 10611/22/2012

Yes, R106! As soon as Lana started munching on the sandwich, I was waiting for him to say, "Oh BTW, you're eating Wendy."

by Anonymousreply 10711/22/2012

I'm glad Francis is back but when I saw the previews I thought the angel was Joanna Cassidy for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 10811/22/2012

Lily Rabe better freaking win an Emmy for this, she's glorious

by Anonymousreply 10911/22/2012

What is it that Arden knows about the Monsignor that he threatened him over?

by Anonymousreply 11011/22/2012

[quote]I thought it was the worst.

Honey, there is no "worst". It just wasn't as shocking or funny as other episodes. We learned alot. Lange knows the Dr is a Nazi for sure, we know why Bloody Face is who he is, we know we won't be seeing Mark Consuelos' pretty face the rest of the season.

by Anonymousreply 11111/22/2012

Love that r100 and whether or not it was intentional it needs to be examined. What is hatred of gay men if not fear of the feminine being expressed through the male? Gay men are considered less then because they are too close to being women. At least that is probably what many ignorant and neanderthal types think. Society would be better off if women were given more respect.

by Anonymousreply 11211/22/2012

I'm wondering if the story of the little girl, is elaborating on the true story of Thredson. Is there a correlation there? He claims that his mother abandoned him. Maybe she abandoned him after he killed her. That tends to happen when one gets murdered.

by Anonymousreply 11311/22/2012

I believe the misogyny angle to be intentional, at least partly, because the guard explicitly stated to Sister Jude that she never stood a chance because she's a woman. And the article makes a good point that women can be misogynists, too.

I'm not sure every example is intentional, but certainly some of them seem to be. As for Shelly the "whore"... isn't "nymphomania" a sexist diagnosis in and of itself? Have men ever been diagnosed as nymphos, let alone put away for it?

by Anonymousreply 11411/22/2012

Never thought of that 114. A woman with the track record of Tiger Woods or Wilt Chamberlin would be considered having a problem a nympho, whore or slut and during the shows time period would have been put away. Even now we beat down women who appear to be independent sexually who are not tied to any one man, they are gold digging whores. But a man just has a healthy sex drive, just being a guy.

by Anonymousreply 11511/22/2012

I thought there would be more mention of ZQ on his white undershirt. Scary hot!

by Anonymousreply 11611/22/2012

[quote]Have men ever been diagnosed as nymphos, let alone put away for it?

The male counterpart is called Satyriasis, but no one cares. Consuelos' character was insatiable but was locked away because he dealt with chilren.

by Anonymousreply 11711/22/2012

Lily Rabe's 'Lily Rabe-ing' centered this past episode really well. I loved it when she schooled "The Bad Seed" and also when she sang "You Don't Know Me" and gyrated with the crucifix which was hanging on the wall. Camp. Camp. Camp. Love her.

Francis Conroy looked positively stunning in the previews for next week's episode. She makes for a beautiful raven haired lady even though she is a natural red head.

by Anonymousreply 11811/22/2012

There is a scene early on in Girl Interrupted when Winona's character is being checked into the mental hospital, and she questions the phrase in her diagnosis labeling her "promiscuous." She asks, "How many guys would a girl have to sleep with to be considered promiscuous? Three, four, ten?

How many girls would a guy have to sleep with? Fifteen? Forty? A hundred and nine?"

And of course no one has an answer.

Men's sexuality has only been considered "deviant" if the men in question have been pedophiles or homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 11911/22/2012

R119...equating pedophilia with homosexuality? ?Go away freeper.

R102 is correct. He always tries to have it both ways. 'Commenting' on prejudices that he then facilitates with his bigoted shows. His shows are always the most homophobic and misogynistic on TV.

by Anonymousreply 12011/22/2012

Far from a freeper, r120. I wasn't equating the two at all, I was saying those are the only times I'm aware of when men have been labeled deviant for their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 12111/22/2012

[quote]equating pedophilia with homosexuality? ?Go away freeper.

Oh shut it, he was talking about past tense. Homosexuality was considered a mental illness. How do you think Lange got Lana admitted?

by Anonymousreply 12211/22/2012

R110, in the flashback the Monsignor agreed to let Arden continue with his medical experiments on the patients, which then made him an accomplice.

by Anonymousreply 12311/22/2012

[quote] also when she sang "You Don't Know Me" and gyrated with the crucifix which was hanging on the wall.

It's "You Don't Own Me"

by Anonymousreply 12411/22/2012

This was my least favorite episode too. It felt really disjointed. The subplot with the little girl had nothing to do with anything. They could have left the entire thing on the cutting room floor and it wouldn't have made a difference. And the storyline with the Monsignor felt incredibly rushed, particularly the parts involving Chloe Sevigny and Mark Consuelos.

by Anonymousreply 12511/22/2012

For some reason I don't really feel some of the guest stars' appearances (Anne Frank, the bad seed, the Nazi hunter). Yes, some of them advance the plot and yet feel so misplaced somehow.

For some reason (since most scenes take place in the asylum) it has this great stage play feel to it.

Oh, and I love Lily Rabe's You Don't Own Me lipsync for your devil soul's life performance. I was almost expecting RuPaul appear to give her a standing ovation.

by Anonymousreply 12611/22/2012

125 I'm not so sure the little girl story does not have a purpose. As someone mentioned upthread perhaps it is illustrating something about Thredson as a child since he did admit that he knew he was messed up from the time he was a child. I do believe it is connected to him somehow.

by Anonymousreply 12711/22/2012

Pure speculation: "The Bad Seed" might be who grows up to be Bloody Face 2012.

by Anonymousreply 12811/22/2012

Or maybe the Bad Seed is the missing bride.

by Anonymousreply 12911/22/2012

The Bad Seed would probably be in her 50s now so I doubt she's the missing bride.I hope AHS:A doesn't get into the Smallville "Freak of the Week"thing.

by Anonymousreply 13011/22/2012

I hope we get to see more of Mark Consuelos. He was really hot as Spivey--I was surprised he was as good at being rageful and scary as he is, because I just think of him as a soap actor and as Kelly Ripa's beard.

by Anonymousreply 13111/22/2012

The HuffPost TV critic said this was his favorite episode of the season, and that he think it demonstrates, rather than the show's misogyny, its love for excellent actresses and their work:

by Anonymousreply 13211/22/2012

This season grew on me. It takes a lot to scare me but this season has really creeped me out. I don't know who R8 think he/she's speaking for. Most of my friends who watch AHS like this season better than last.

I like both seasons. This is very different than the first and I think that's a good thing. I agree with whoever said that you cannot compare AHS w/ Glee or Nip Tuck. Totally different formula.

by Anonymousreply 13311/22/2012

Arden is one deranged, evil fuck.

by Anonymousreply 13411/22/2012

Or as Jude calls him, Dactah Ahhdin.

by Anonymousreply 13511/22/2012

[quote]The subplot with the little girl had nothing to do with anything.

Oh, but it did! The title of last night's episode was "The Origins of Monstrosity" and through Thredson, Dr. Arden, and Sister Mary Eunice's back stories, we see how these social misfits afflicted serious abandonment issues, mommy issues, sexual inadequacies, delusions of grandeur, mean girl victimization, demonic possession, etc., have become murderous monsters... and then along comes little pigtailed sociopath Jenny, whose evil nature just cannot be readily explained.

by Anonymousreply 13611/22/2012

Thredson murders people, skins them, and wears a mask made from their skin because his mommy abandoned him and he didn't get enough hugs as a child. Seems reasonable.

by Anonymousreply 13711/22/2012

Re R136, classic nature vs. nurture argument. Do people become "evil" because of difficult life experiences, or are they just born that way.

by Anonymousreply 13811/22/2012

[quote]I'm wondering if the story of the little girl, is elaborating on the true story of Thredson. Is there a correlation there? He claims that his mother abandoned him. Maybe she abandoned him after he killed her. That tends to happen when one gets murdered.

I was wondering if it was more like his mother abandoned him because she realized what he was and that she would never be able to handle him - just like Jenny's mother abandoned her at the asylum.

by Anonymousreply 13911/22/2012

[quote]Arden is one deranged, evil fuck

But see, he doesn't think so at all, he thinks he's helping mankind and has convinced the dimwitted Priest he is. He knows Jude is not that gullible.

by Anonymousreply 14011/22/2012

That was definitely Dylan McDermott's voice on the phone.

Speaking of whom, he grew up having lived through his own real-life American Horror Story. His mother was murdered in 1967 when he was just five or six years old. Is that common knowledge? I had no idea until recently.

by Anonymousreply 14111/22/2012

I think it's terrible how all of you are ignoring Sarah Paulson this season. She's the main star this year, even more than Lange.

by Anonymousreply 14211/22/2012

Sadly I don't think Lana is going to make out of this alive. The present day bloody face does not bode well for her.

The promo for next episode ended with someone lying in a pool of blood on a bathroom floor, looks to be Sister Jude? She did say one last thing she has to she commits suicide?

by Anonymousreply 14311/22/2012

She's doing really good work. Cherry Jones has a lot to answer for.

by Anonymousreply 14411/22/2012

I think Sarah has a good role but the main stars are Jessica and Lily.

by Anonymousreply 14511/22/2012

Joseph Fiennes would be so more attractive if his eyes weren't so close together.

by Anonymousreply 14611/22/2012

Lily Rabe is Jill Clayburgh's daughter. I bet Jill would have been enormously proud of the fabulous actor Lily has become.

by Anonymousreply 14711/22/2012

Jill Clayburgh is dead? I had no idea.

by Anonymousreply 14811/22/2012

Sarah Paulson is actually doing fine work on this show, fillers and botox notwithstanding. Her reaction shots are almost like centered around her eyes because the rest of her face really doesn't move at all and that annoys me. Sorry.

Lily Rabe is the true gem on this show (outside of Jessica Lange, of course), because she is doing wonderfully creative work in every last scene.

by Anonymousreply 14911/22/2012

Sarah Paulson is a horrible screamer.

by Anonymousreply 15011/22/2012

[quote]Jill Clayburgh is dead? I had no idea.

Yep. Bridemaids was her last movie, filmed shortly before she died, and you can tell she's quite ill in it.

by Anonymousreply 15111/22/2012

After reading more about Dylan McDermott's mother's murder, I realized the reason I hadn't heard about it until recently was because his mother's shooting wasn't ruled a murder until this year, 45 years after the fact. Her death was the result of domestic violence at the hands of her boyfriend, who was involved in the Mob. His body was later found in the trunk of a car in a grocery store parking lot.

Sorry if this had already been discussed before.

by Anonymousreply 15211/22/2012

Good point r139.

r140 I think Arden treats Jude the way he does because she is a woman and that makes her too inferior to understand his great life mission. He is not thinking that he cannot pull the wool over her eyes because he is sincere in his belief that what he is doing is right and good for humanity and she could never comprehend that.

by Anonymousreply 15311/23/2012

[quote] I hope we get to see more of Mark Consuelos. He was really hot as Spivey--I was surprised he was as good at being rageful and scary as he is, because I just think of him as a soap actor and as Kelly Ripa's beard.

Given how his character was mutilated by the end of the episode, that's highly unlikely, R131.

by Anonymousreply 15411/23/2012

Also: remember, even though the Catholic church turned a blind eye to many of the excesses of the Nazis (and even abetted them in their outraged), Nazis did not have a high opinion of Catholics. they thought they were inferior to Protestants.

by Anonymousreply 15511/23/2012

I swear I thought Lily Rabe was going to masturbate with the crucifix. BTW, she is so perfect on this show. I'm happy she's got a lot more to do this season.

I'm excited for Francis Conroy next week! I wonder if she'll have a scene with James Cromwell for old times sake.

by Anonymousreply 15611/23/2012

I wonder why the church or OMM aren't coming after AHS with the same fervor they attacked 666 Park Avenue and Good Christian Bitches? AHS is far more an indictment against the church than those shows are.

by Anonymousreply 15711/23/2012

R157, AHS reminds them of a "better" time when gays and other depraved deviants were appropriately locked away in institutions where they could never corrupt young minds by appearing in J.C.Penny catalogs.

by Anonymousreply 15811/23/2012

I wonder if there's going to be a showdown between Francis' Black Angel/Sister Jessica vs Lily's Devil/Herr Doktor James. Seems like they're setting up to be that way.

Also, remember that Dylan has those startling blue eyes, not Zach. Hmmm...unless Herr Doktor was successful in his longevity treatments and it changed eye color and physique somehow. OR Zach and Lily had a baby...urg...

by Anonymousreply 15911/23/2012

Jessica Lange will always be the Queen of this show.

Trying to compare the other actresses to her is like trying to compare Gina Gillespie and Julie Allred to Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?"...

No dice.

by Anonymousreply 16011/24/2012

Maybe the recurring theme in AHS will be good/God vs evil/Devil.

by Anonymousreply 16111/24/2012

Wondering if maybe the little girl is telling the truth about seeing a man in a brown suit before the murders happen. Maybe what she sees is the devil in the brown suit (no blue dress) and that's what gets her to murdering?

by Anonymousreply 16211/24/2012

Something that bothers my historical accuracy a bit. The nuns of that era, especially if they were older would be wearing full-length habits down to the ankle and their veil, cornette and wimple would have covered all their hair. The less-restrictive head covering didn't come about until after the Second Vatican Council around 1965 or so.

by Anonymousreply 16311/25/2012

Oy vey 163.

by Anonymousreply 16411/25/2012

Sarah Paulson is owning this season.

by Anonymousreply 16511/25/2012

Paulson's doing an amazing job. Suck it, haters.

by Anonymousreply 16611/25/2012

Rewatching series one at the moment. The photos that the prostitute find in Dr. Arden's apartment show women bound and stabbed in the back, the same way the guy in the 1960's segment kills the nurses in the first series.

I wonder if the two would be tied together as happening in the same fictional universe?

by Anonymousreply 16711/25/2012

I like Paulson a lot too. This is the first time (other than with the senator's daughter in THE SILENCE OF THE LSMBS--and then it took her forever to get her act together) I've ever seen a woman in the clutches of a serial killer do something other than whimper or scream her head off: she's actually being quite clever about surviving.

by Anonymousreply 16811/25/2012

I don't care for Paulson's weird face but I can't fault her acting in this season. She and Quinto both are doing the best work I've seen from them. They're especially amazing in the last two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 16911/25/2012

I would not be surprised if we found out there actually *is* a man in a brown outfit with a beard who kills the Bad Seed's friends and family members, even though it's clear she's also evil.

by Anonymousreply 17011/25/2012

I thought it was clear the little girl killed the other girl. The 'devil' inside Sister Mary Eunice knows the little girl is stabby, and pretty much encouraged her to kill her mother.

by Anonymousreply 17111/25/2012

[quote]The less-restrictive head covering didn't come about until after the Second Vatican Council around 1965 or so.

Perhaps the norm was too restrictive dealing with mental patients in an asylum.

{quote]This is the first time (other than with the senator's daughter in THE SILENCE OF THE LSMBS--and then it took her forever to get her act together) I've ever seen a woman in the clutches of a serial killer do something other than whimper or scream her head off: she's actually being quite clever about surviving.

And she looks terrified. Many actress fail at that. That's why the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre' is a classic. Marilyn Burns looks absolutely terrified the entire time.

by Anonymousreply 17211/25/2012

[quote]I thought it was clear the little girl killed the other girl.

It was, which is why people are suggesting there might be a surprising twist to it.

by Anonymousreply 17311/25/2012

Could "the bald man in the brown coat" be Dr. Arden?

Or will Satan Mary Eunice at least frame him for those crimes?

I couldn't believe when Quinto started suckling on Paulson's tit....

And this week Frances Conroy as the Angel of Death!

This show knows no boundaries. Love it.

by Anonymousreply 17411/25/2012

Is Ryan a DLer?

by Anonymousreply 17511/26/2012

Could the little girl provide victims for her best friend in the world, the big bearded killer? A nice twist, but at bit too gimmicky. Sometimes a lie is just an evil lie to cover up your own evil doings.

I wonder why the teaser spoiled the surprise about Frances Conroy's character? Imagine the 'woah! / holy fuuuuuck!' moment when the wings come out while watching the actual episode. Sometimes I hate all that spoilerish PR buzz where the audience needs to know almost too much to remain interested in a show.

by Anonymousreply 17611/26/2012

Eager for tonight's episode.

by Anonymousreply 17711/28/2012

me too!

last week was my least fave of this season so far, but i am still happily on board.

by Anonymousreply 17811/28/2012

bumping for tonight

by Anonymousreply 17911/28/2012

The gay guy is torturing the lesbian. Art imitates reality.

by Anonymousreply 18011/28/2012

Damn, the first fifteen minutes is fucking amazing already.

by Anonymousreply 18111/28/2012

Both last week and this week's episodes left me feeling very unnerved when they were over. I know... MARY! Really liked the angel of death but wondering how it fits into the overall story. Is it going to be a one-week only story?

by Anonymousreply 18211/28/2012

Until this semester, I thought it was impossible for Zach Quinto to be sexy. Fuck! This season he is sex on a stick. he was so hot in those tight pants before he tried to kill Lana.

by Anonymousreply 18311/29/2012

Lana ending back in Briarcliff after all of that was just too hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 18411/29/2012

I was on the phone during quite a lot of the show so I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions.

Did Jessica Lange kill herself and then get up off the floor and walk away? Thought I saw her slit her wrists? Or??

How many people did the angel of death get? And who were they?

by Anonymousreply 18511/29/2012

[quote]Did Jessica Lange kill herself and then get up off the floor and walk away? Thought I saw her slit her wrists? Or??

It was just a fantasy--she thought about what would have happened had she done it.

[quote]How many people did the angel of death get? And who were they?

The African-American inmate, and Grace. I think one more too I've forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 18611/29/2012

More amazing work from Jessica Lange. Her reaction to seeing the young nurse deserves another Emmy win.

by Anonymousreply 18811/29/2012

I agree, r188.

Her face... that moment. She is SO incredibly good.

by Anonymousreply 18911/29/2012

[quote]Lana ending back in Briarcliff after all of that was just too hard to believe.

Yeah, I mean, after The Devil, The Angel Of Death, the Mad Nazi Doctor experiments, the patient skinning Psychiatrist and Aliens roaming the halls, it just lost all credibility for me too.

by Anonymousreply 19011/29/2012

At first I thought you were being serious, r190.

by Anonymousreply 19111/29/2012

AHS this year is so relentlessly over-the-top with it's endless catalogue of atrocities, it makes a Ken Russell film look like something from Merchant-Ivory.

After a while there's just too many ingredients for the thing to be effectively scary - it's like watching a rather entertaining train wreck. But the whole thing is too effortful in it's desire to shock.

Joseph Feinnes get second billing but he's barely in the show.

by Anonymousreply 19211/29/2012

[quote] Joseph Feinnes get second billing but he's barely in the show.

That shows that he's got a really good agent.

by Anonymousreply 19311/29/2012

[quote] More amazing work from Jessica Lange.

I give kudos to all the female major characters. They were all superb.

Jessica was wonderful, of course, especially in that diner scene where she was talking to Frances Conroy. She just poured her heart out, and I'm constantly amazed at her acting ability.

Frances Conroy was another winner. I was so happy to see her again, and she looked quite beautiful. I love her very subtle and coaxing portrayal of the "angel of death." So gentle and unsuspecting, as she lures people to sleep.

Then there's Sarah Paulson who really is so good in conveying her desperation. I love her vulnerable qualities, and yet when called for, she really becomes quite strong.

And of course, the wonderful Lily Rabe. I think she has come the farthest. She started out as a meek, young nun, then switched to the devious, conniving and quite campy devil, to the defiant and wicked counterpart to Conroy's angel of death.

Rabe has really covered the spectrum of personalities in this season, and I believe her in every single portrayal.

The ladies have really given some excellent performances in this season of AHS, and I hope that every single one of them is nominated for an Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 19411/29/2012

This is all becoming a bit of a dog's breakfast.

by Anonymousreply 19511/29/2012

[quote]Joseph Feinnes get second billing but he's barely in the show.

The season is only half over. He'll be back.

The "dance" between Rabe and The Angel was fantastic.

The tension when Lana got away and was running away was terrific.

by Anonymousreply 19611/29/2012

And Suri's dad was on for all of what, 2 minutes?

by Anonymousreply 19711/29/2012

OK when is Dylan McDermot showing up and who is he playing? I think the show has only about 4 eps left??

by Anonymousreply 19811/29/2012

R198 - he's going to be the spawn of Bloody Face and Lana. We can already guess she's going to be pregnant and give birth at Briarcliff.

by Anonymousreply 19911/29/2012

I can't believe there are so few posts. (Maybe that's because of Primetime all day. Really Datalounge?)

This was my favorite episode of the season so far. Frances Conroy rocked as the angel of death even though he borrowed that wing thing from Angels in America.

The plot moved forward quite a lot in this episode. Jude went to seek forgiveness to find that woah, the girl didn't die. And Sister Demon showed Dr. Arden who was boss. And Lana Banana got away from Thredson only to end up back at Briarcliff.

I admit I was sitting very close to the TV to be sure I didn't miss anything. There's no other show like that on TV.

by Anonymousreply 20011/30/2012

I hated the really over the top dialogue and acting from the driver who shoots himself. At first I thought maybe Thredson had an accomplice or a lackey. Then I was thinking maybe she's been picked up by another serial killer.

I wonder if the Angel of Death can interfere to reveal some information? maybe she could help Jude in getting back to Briarcliff to stop all the shit that's going on.

by Anonymousreply 20111/30/2012

I thought the demon possessing Mary Eunice reacted strangely when Lana revealed Thredson is the killer. It seemed almost sympathetic.

I'd agree with R192 that the scary factor took a hit last night. Once you introduce angels, it's more like dark fantasy than horror.

Still enjoying it though.

by Anonymousreply 20211/30/2012

I think the sympathetic reaction was meant to show that Mary Eunice is still inside her body with the demon and for brief moments is strong enough to take over.

by Anonymousreply 20311/30/2012

Well now Sister Jude has an advantage against Sister Mary Satan, in that the big shameful secret that SMS was using to blackmail SJ into submission turns out not to be very strong blackmail after all.

by Anonymousreply 20411/30/2012

Lange slaughtered.

by Anonymousreply 20511/30/2012

Murphy confirmed in EW that Dylan McDermott is coming and and that Mark Consuelo wrote him after a future scene ... “Well I just busted my no nudity cherry.”

by Anonymousreply 20611/30/2012

Mark Consuelos was a stripper. He's hardly a stranger to all that.

by Anonymousreply 20711/30/2012

I love the episode for the confrontation scene between the angel and Lily Rabe's character. The way Lily switched between devil and meatsuit was true high camp and yet spooky.

Why would Kit forget to close the secret door and let the outside creatures in?

by Anonymousreply 20811/30/2012

[quote] OK when is Dylan McDermot showing up and who is he playing? I think the show has only about 4 eps left??

There are 13 episodes this season. This week was #7.

by Anonymousreply 20911/30/2012

Did the guard that shot Grace see the scary disembowled monster lying on the floor?Is he in on it all too?

by Anonymousreply 21011/30/2012

The identity of the modern-day Bloodyface has been revealed and it's who many people have already guessed. There are also photos online for those who want to be spoiled.

by Anonymousreply 21111/30/2012

Sarah Paulson's lisp is unbearable.

by Anonymousreply 21211/30/2012

Evan vs. Zach-Who's ass do we prefer?

by Anonymousreply 21312/01/2012

R201 you go girl

by Anonymousreply 21412/01/2012

[quote]Frances Conroy was another winner. I was so happy to see her again, and she looked quite beautiful. I love her very subtle and coaxing portrayal of the "angel of death."

She was beautiful. Loved the way her black wings unfolded when she kissed them.

I think she makes a better angel than Tilda Swinton as Gabriel in Constantine. Who up until this point has been my favorite angel portrayal.

I much prefer these ambiguous angels that are just "doing their job" to the new-agey interpretations as caring and interceding for man to God.

by Anonymousreply 21512/01/2012

Paulson's lisp is borderline-sexy.

by Anonymousreply 21612/01/2012

[quote] I hated the really over the top dialogue and acting from the driver who shoots himself.

You mean from... WILLIAM MAPOTHER? AKA, cousin of Tom Cruise?

I don't know how this guy keeps getting parts in Hollywood. He's a horrible actor.

I was assuming that Tammy Cruise was getting the parts for his cousin, via nepotism and Scientology, but in this case, it would have to assume that Ryan Murphy is now a Scientologist.

Well, is he?

by Anonymousreply 21712/01/2012

So next episode we get a bit of 'Silent Night, Deadly Night'?

by Anonymousreply 21812/01/2012

I know I'll end up watching it, but the teasers for Bates Motel are definitely trying to emulate the AHS vibe.

by Anonymousreply 21912/01/2012

[quote]You mean from... WILLIAM MAPOTHER? AKA, cousin of Tom Cruise?

You mean, AKA Suri's father?

by Anonymousreply 22012/01/2012

Suri looks like Mapother because Mapother is Tammy's cousin! DUH!Is Murphy a Scamatologist now? I don't know. Is Mapother one?

Ths hsow has gotten so stupid. It's recycled every cheap horror cliche'. I did like the little Frenchie that just bit the dust though.

by Anonymousreply 22112/01/2012

The French actress, Lizzie Brochere is currently appearing on the BBC as Ben Whishaw's wife in "The Hour". It's pretty rare to see a non-Anglophone appear on the small screen on both sides of the pond concurrently.

by Anonymousreply 22212/01/2012

What kind of futuristic storyline could they do?

by Anonymousreply 22312/01/2012

That is such a great show R222.

by Anonymousreply 22412/01/2012

I want to do filthy, unspeakable things to Lily Rabe.

by Anonymousreply 22512/01/2012

Its a good show, but what bothers me is how the show rips off other movies. On TV they call it a homage, but any other setting it would be plajarism...

It was a let down to see the kiss-happy angel of death from "The Adventures of Baron Munchausen."

I saw a clip from the next show and apparently they are ripping off...sorry homage-ing....the psychotic Santa that killed Joan Collins in that 1970s Tales From The Crypt movie.

What will they rip of next I wonder.

by Anonymousreply 22612/01/2012

[quote]On TV they call it a homage, but any other setting it would be plajarism...

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 22712/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 22812/01/2012

Forgive the typo. Plagiarism, is that better?

Its just lazy writing, how can you not agree?

We will probably see an episode where a girl named Rose meets a young scamp named Jack and the ship they are on sinks...

Or someone is turned into a mouse at a resort by the Grand High Witch....

Or whatever movie they decide to rip off...sorry...homage...

by Anonymousreply 22912/01/2012

Tommy Davis is Suri's biological father.

by Anonymousreply 23012/01/2012

You mean they're doing the same thing that Quentin Tarantino does in all his movies?

by Anonymousreply 23112/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 23212/01/2012

R225 I felt the same about Francis Conroy after having seen the latest episode.

by Anonymousreply 23312/01/2012

Has Frances Conroy's eye problem cleared up? (I mean her real one, not the character gunshot wound of last season)

by Anonymousreply 23412/01/2012

The modern-day Bloody Face is...

by Anonymousreply 23512/01/2012

That's not really a spoiler, R235. Most people figured it out, and Ryan Murphy said so in the interview posted upthread.

by Anonymousreply 23612/01/2012

That photo at r235 gives me a hard-on, for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 23712/01/2012

I like the show but Lana escaping only to hop into the car of a crazed woman hating homicidal/suicidal nut job was just lazy writing and I agree with the poster above,Mapother is a BAD actor!

by Anonymousreply 23812/01/2012

I laughed when it became clear that Lana had gotten into the car with another nut job and laughed even harder when she woke up at Briarcliff. Shit like that happens in horror movies and has always happened in them. Just like the White girl that is always falling down when she is running from whoever is trying to kill her.

I thought it was a bit of intentional humor and horror cliche.

by Anonymousreply 23912/01/2012

Please, R226, it was a almost a drinking game in the first season-figuring out what movie "inspired" that week's plot twist.

by Anonymousreply 24012/01/2012

226 their reason for doing the AHS is to "rip off" horror movies. They have said it in interviews. They don't think they are fooling anybody. Just having a good time working in a genre they love and admire, hopefully making something others who love the genre can enjoy and have fun recognizing some of their favorite horror movie moments.

If it really bothers you, stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 24112/02/2012

I agree... figuring out the horror references is half the fun of this show.

by Anonymousreply 24212/02/2012

I wish more people in my life (ie, IRL) liked this show. Too many people are watching Nashville. Urg, I can't wait until Santa McShane makes the scene.

by Anonymousreply 24312/02/2012

I'm guessing modern day Bloody Face (Dermot Mulroney?) is son of first Bloody Face, conceived through sex with Lana. She has the baby in the asylum, Sister Mary Lucifer steals baby and raises it just as Thredson was raised -- without affection, without its mother, in Briarcliff. OR Sister Mary Lucifer gives Lana safe passage out of the asylum in exchange for the baby, which she gives to get the fuck out of there. And Sister Mary raises it without affection, without its mother, etc.

History repeats itself.

by Anonymousreply 24412/02/2012

Sorry, not Dermot Mulroney. Dylan McDermott.

by Anonymousreply 24512/02/2012

I hope they don't do zombies and vampires next, even though there are a lot of vampire movies ripe for the picking. They also need to give the Rosemary's baby storyline a rest - two seasons of evil offspring is enough.

by Anonymousreply 24612/02/2012

I wish it was fucking Dermot Mulroney! Dylan McDermott is such a waste of space as an actor.

by Anonymousreply 24712/02/2012

Wednesay..... a killer Santa Claus visits the asylum!!!

by Anonymousreply 24812/02/2012

I wish my cat was on this show.

by Anonymousreply 24912/02/2012

Who's the guy playing Psycho Santa?

by Anonymousreply 25012/03/2012

It's that really good actor from DEADWOOD. You know, what's his name.

by Anonymousreply 25112/03/2012

Ian McShane!

by Anonymousreply 25212/03/2012

Zachary Quinto on Conan Tonight.

by Anonymousreply 25312/03/2012

Why is Kelly Ripa's husband on this? He had like two lines so far...Was it even worth the flight to LA?

by Anonymousreply 25412/03/2012

Mark Consuelos going to be in the show more this season... Ryan Murphy has already said this.

by Anonymousreply 25512/03/2012

How is that possible, R255, when the last time we saw Stripper Mark (2 eps ago), Dr. Nazi had turned him into one of his creatures? Was Mark the creature who attacked that fat nun in the bakery last week when Kip returned for the French girl (getting her shot in the process)?

by Anonymousreply 25612/04/2012

Are we going to see legless Chloe again?

by Anonymousreply 25712/04/2012

R256, that was not Spivey (Consuelos). Spivey is still a work in progress.

by Anonymousreply 25912/04/2012

R258, how did I miss that?!

by Anonymousreply 26012/04/2012

What, is no one watching the twisted Christmas episode tonight?

by Anonymousreply 26112/05/2012

Oooh, twist is right.

by Anonymousreply 26212/05/2012

Holy crap

by Anonymousreply 26312/05/2012

Boy, this season started out with so much promise, and now it has turned into an unmitigated mess.

So many goddamn stories going on.

by Anonymousreply 26412/05/2012

What twist happened? Spoil me!

by Anonymousreply 26512/05/2012

Oh, Dr. Arden. What a bastard. Did not see that coming.

by Anonymousreply 26612/05/2012

I'm with R264. It's like they had 7 episodes worth of story, but are being forced to stretch it out for 13 episodes. The first half of the season was great and now I can't even follow what the hell is happening anymore and, worse, I barely care.

by Anonymousreply 26712/05/2012

[quote]Boy, this season started out with so much promise, and now it has turned into an unmitigated mess. So many goddamn stories going on.

What are you babbling about? There is one story. Every time a character is introduced at the asylum, you see why they are there. There hasn't been a weak episode yet.

by Anonymousreply 26812/05/2012

I miss the Angel of Death in this week's episode.

by Anonymousreply 26912/05/2012

my cable is out, can someone do a short recap, I'm dyin here and no Frances Conroy to kiss me.

by Anonymousreply 27012/06/2012

I don't think people were really saying "Are we having fun yet?" in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 27112/06/2012

Well, next week we get Dylan McDermott, and Sister Jude as a patient at Briarcliff. I wondered when we were going to get to both those two things.

by Anonymousreply 27212/06/2012

The ruby earrings story was a nice if discusting touch.So we finally get modern day Dylan next week and the butch lesbian Dr. from Grey's Anatomy as his shrink.

by Anonymousreply 27312/06/2012

what are you numbskulls talking about? This week was easy to keep track of. the main plots are now:

1) Jude and Mary Eunice 2) Lana and Thredson 3) Kit and Thredson 4) Aliens

... in addition to the one-off inmate of the week

Dr Arden's main plot has kind of fizzled out with the hospitalization (or was it death?) of Chloe Sevigny and the death of the Nazi hunter. The Bloodyface 2.0 plot is kicking back in next week with Dylan McDermot.

by Anonymousreply 27412/06/2012

still to come:

- What's up with Spivey? - What really is the Monsignor's secret that Arden threatened him over? - Is Pepper ever going to come back from the washroom?

by Anonymousreply 27512/06/2012

Supposedly Jude dies in the first episode next year, also Lana is pregnant but Thredson manages to get his hands on (in) her. This show is going interesting places. Keep watching it.

by Anonymousreply 27612/06/2012

I'm going to miss Frank.

by Anonymousreply 27712/06/2012

The show is strange. With True Blood I'm all 'huh? the season's finished?' and with AHS it's 'so much is happening! And there's still more to come!'.

I swear if that were Lost the whole first half season of AHS would be stretched out to at least three seasons of 20 episodes each (with tons and tons of filler stuff and unnecessary character plots inbetween).

by Anonymousreply 27812/06/2012

It does seem to have gotten absurd but I'm still watching and hope that it all comes around in the end.

I expected Jude to fight back more with crazy Santa, like a hell cat unleashed. Let's face it she must have a lot of rage stored up at this point and I wanted to see her let go.

by Anonymousreply 27912/06/2012

I thought it was a great episode. Lily Rabe is bringing it!

by Anonymousreply 28012/06/2012

"Is Pepper ever going to come back from the washroom?"

Pepper constipated!

by Anonymousreply 28112/06/2012

[quote]Dr Arden's main plot has kind of fizzled out with the hospitalization (or was it death?) of Chloe Sevigny and the death of the Nazi hunter.

Disagree, I completely bought the "come back and help the poor little girl" plea he gave to Jude. Never saw it coming and even gasped a little when you saw Santa at the door.

by Anonymousreply 28212/06/2012

I'm starting to think that we're going to have a lot of disparate loose threads tied up. Is Sister Jude Dr. Threadson's mother that put him up for adoption?

by Anonymousreply 28312/06/2012

I find it funny that Sister Mary's pep talks seem to fit crazy murderers and also bully and rape victims. I can't wait for a 'it gets better' comment from her to some poor wanna-be killer who botched up his killings so far.

by Anonymousreply 28412/06/2012

Saint Jude is patron saint of lost causes.

by Anonymousreply 28512/06/2012

The ending scene on this past episode was really great. It made me wonder if there is to be a homage to some of the asylum based scenes in "Frances" coming up.

Lily Rabe keeps on killing it episode after episode. She's such a wonderfully creative actress in every scene, man. If Sarah Paulson gets nominated and/or wins anything over Lily Rabe come t.v. award season I will be one pissed off person for sure.

What did everyone think of psycho Santa? I found him tremendous because I am a sick fuck I guess.

by Anonymousreply 28612/06/2012

Just watched the episode. Loved it. I was wondering, is the lady that plays the psychiatrist talking to Dylan McDermott, the maybe present day Bloody Face, the same actress that played the lady in the well in the basement of the serial killer in "The Silence of the Lambs"? If so, that's slick casting. It's been a while since I've seen the movie but it looks like her. I looked on IMDB but didn't see AHS listed under her credits.

by Anonymousreply 28812/07/2012

[quote]What did everyone think of psycho Santa? I found him tremendous because I am a sick fuck I guess.

I love Ian McShane in anything. Ever since his role as the psycho gangster power bottom Teddy Bass in Sexy Beast.

by Anonymousreply 28912/07/2012

I love Lily Rabe, but I'd give Jessica Lange the award over the two of them -- if only because she's taken a character that's almost entirely unlikable on a paper (save for the feminism and the dead squirrel) and made her into a sympathetic if ill-fated hero.

I think she's had less to work with and more to work against in making Jude a likable character. And she's done a remarkable job.

by Anonymousreply 29012/07/2012

[quote]I don't think people were really saying "Are we having fun yet?" in 1964.

Here's a weird form of synchronicity. "Are we having fun yet?" was Zippy the Pinhead's catchphrase. (This was an underground cartoon from the 70s). And of course the show features Pepper the Pinhead.

by Anonymousreply 29112/07/2012

Lange is the best in show. I mean, all Murphy would have to do is have the demon really provoke Sister Jude the way it did when possessing the young boy in episode two to see how equally matched Rabe and Lange are.

Quite frankly, Rabe has the easiest character to play with. It's not that hard to play a character that knows everything before anyone else does and that has special powers.

How about exploring some of her real inner turmoil outside of a skinny dip and ruby earrings, lol.

Reviewer for The Village Voice and L.A. Weekly said it best:

"Jessica Lange is mesmerizing, bewildering, thrilling. She may be the last instinctive, wild card American actress. Fearless, sensual (still) and heart-breaking, she's always willing to take her characters to the deepest, darkest place and leave them there, unsaved and unredeemed."

I have a feeling Sister Jude will literally become Sister Jude Martin, patron saint of lost and subsequently enlightened causes.

Lily Rabe looks cute in black stockings, though.

by Anonymousreply 29212/07/2012

R288, yes, Brooke Smith's her name. Ryan Murphy mentioned earlier to look out for an actress from "Silence of the Lambs" in an upcoming episode.

by Anonymousreply 29312/07/2012

Jessica looked beautiful while killing twisted Santa.

by Anonymousreply 29412/07/2012

What was the look Jude had on her face after killing Santa? Was it that she was shocked that she had stabbed him? Was it that she at that moment felt a little mad herself? Or was it some look of realization on how she would proceed from that moment on?

Kind of felt to me like the last one. Like she realized that if she played at being crazy she could stay at Briarcliff and really set a plan and try to carry it out.

by Anonymousreply 29512/07/2012

As a patient Sister Jude would be defensless against Sister Mary and Arden. The only thing she may count on is that as a patient they may underestimate her, but at the same time have their wicked fun with her (especially Arden might love to torture Sister Jude who caused him so much trouble in the past).

by Anonymousreply 29612/07/2012

So, they make Lange a big ol racist, and then you find out that a few years back, she was fucking black guys, and in a band full of them. Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 29712/07/2012

Who think Lange is going to snag her second Emmy for the show?

by Anonymousreply 29812/07/2012

[quote]Is Sister Jude Dr. Threadson's mother that put him up for adoption?

The corpse he was on top of in the flashback, that wasn't his mother?

by Anonymousreply 29912/07/2012

[quote]Supposedly Jude dies in the first episode next year, also Lana is pregnant but Thredson manages to get his hands on (in) her. This show is going interesting places. Keep watching it.

It's a totally new show again next year. Asylum is over. Those characters are done.

by Anonymousreply 30012/07/2012

r299, he only pretended the corpse was his mother since he was very aware that the young woman couldn't be his mother who would have had to be twice as old as the corpse was.

by Anonymousreply 30112/07/2012

r300, I believe he or she is referring to literally the very first episode of next year (airing Jan. 2), not next season.

by Anonymousreply 30212/07/2012

Shit earrings trumps the shit bra.. o m g.

by Anonymousreply 30312/07/2012

The second that Arden said "They belonged to a Jewess" I felt a chill.

by Anonymousreply 30412/07/2012

So no new episodes on Dec 19th & Dec 26th?

by Anonymousreply 30612/07/2012

R297, Judy wasn't fucking black guys. When she propositioned that one guy from the band, she said she always wondered what it would be like to do with with a colored man (or something to that effect). The fact that this big ol' slut was in a jazz band full of black men and never once bothered to spread her legs for any of them does make it seem like she's racist.

by Anonymousreply 30712/07/2012

Was that in the colored section?

by Anonymousreply 30812/07/2012

As far as I am aware, there will be a new episode airing every week until the end of the season.

by Anonymousreply 30912/07/2012

There will be a new episode on the 12th, but on the 19th FX is showing The Hurt Locker.

There's no listing yet for the 26th, but during holiday weeks there's almost never new programming on any channel.

by Anonymousreply 31012/07/2012

I love that overnight Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer became Satan's favorite Christmas movie and the silent harbinger of chaos and unchristian values.

by Anonymousreply 31112/07/2012

Love Frances Conroy and love her as the angel of death. forgot that she played the maid on S1. great creepy show.

by Anonymousreply 31212/07/2012

Which episode did you like better: The Halloween episode from season one or the Christmas episode?

by Anonymousreply 31312/07/2012

'American Horror Story: Asylum': Jessica Lange talks Sister Jude and the 'interesting challenge' of TV

by Anonymousreply 31412/07/2012

What is the monsigor's secret. Is he gay?

by Anonymousreply 31512/07/2012

Jessica Lange says with 'American Horror Story' she has 'nothing left to lose'

The Oscar winner admits this season is 'darker than anyone anticipated'

Jessica Lange in "American Horror Story"

As the tortured (and sometimes torturous) Sister Jude on "American Horror Story," Jessica Lange has had to grapple with a Nazi, a serial killer and the devil herself this season. But as tough as it's been, it looks like things are only going to get worse -- and not better. Lange talked to journalists in a conference call about what's up for her character, whether or not she'll be back for season three, and why she never knows what's next for her character -- and that's just fine.

Given how extreme "American Horror Story" can get, it wouldn't be too surprising if Lange told show creator Ryan Murphy to pump his brakes with certain story lines. But Lange says she has a high threshold for crazy. "There are times when I've said I think this is too much, but that's not too often," she says. "They write for me less action and more kind of psychological… I wouldn't really know how to do the really intense action scenes. I have a few of those, but not many."

Part of the reason Lange embraces whatever she gets stems from her commitment to the role. "I think there was a leap of faith on my part; if I'm going to do this I'm going to do this. You have to have trust and think someone is taking care of you. With a part like this, and where we're going with it, I can't pull any punches and I can't do it halfway, especially when you're dealing with madness… I really felt I'm going to embrace this 100 percent, so hopefully somebody will look out for me and not let me completely humiliate myself."

The payoff is that Lange also gets a chance to offer her input on the show. "Sometimes I'll say something I want to do, like I want to sing or I want to dance or something frivolous, and sure enough it comes up in the next script, or I want to be a lounge singer in the 40s… That's how we work, really. I've never worked this way before, where it's so fluid between the creators, the writers and me. This evolves and morphs as we go along. It's been an interesting challenge."

The flip side of having so much payoff is that Lange rarely knows what's coming up for her character. "No, because this thing sort of has a life of its own," she says. "It's like a river, it moves one way then shifts. I think Ryan has these things roughly plotted out of where things are going to go, but I don't always know ahead of time. I kind of understood we would be dealing with this descent into hell, but I did not know Jude would become, would rise to the top of this in a way. In a way, that's what makes it interesting to play. Usually you get a script and you have all the story, all the acts are there, you know what happens and were you go. This is a whole new experience. It's kind of like life, you don't know what's going to happen next. It's made me work in a braver way, in a way, of just taking every chance that comes along. I don't plan things ahead of time, I don't map out the character, I don't do anything. It's been for me a powerful exercise of working in the moment. I actually think it's made me a better actor in a way, not being able to go into something predetermined."

But of course, the real question is whether she'll be back for season three. When asked if she's discussed what he might have planned, she said, "We haven't really talked about it too much. All of that stuff is under discussion. I will try it again, depending on what the story is and who the character is and all of that. We'll see, we'll see what happens." Yeah, but will she come back? "I haven't really thought it through. When we started talking about season two, I had ideas of what I wanted to play. I'd never played an alcoholic before, I wanted to play a great drunk scene, I wanted to play someone really down and out. (cont'd in next post)

by Anonymousreply 31612/07/2012

Those were things I specifically had in mind. For next year, I'm just exhausted from this whole experience, and I really don't have a thought about next season yet. There's a lot of stuff that will come up. As of now, I hate to say I haven't given it any thought."

The good news is that there isn't much, from a storyline perspective, that would turn her off the idea. "Ryan is very collaborative, so I don't think he'd suddenly pull something out of his hat that would make me say I absolutely don't want to be involved. Episode to episode… there's nothing we do in this show that isn't founded in some reality somewhere. Bloody Face, I was reading about Ed Gein, how he wore his victim's skin. Whatever is imagined in this show is something that's happened somewhere in the world. Unless we really sink the ship, I can't imagine Ryan would come up with something I wouldn't be involved with."

When examining her two "AHS" characters, she said of Jude, "There's a descent into madness that's completely different. Constance is a throwback to the '40s, a tough dame, sweet talking with a tough edge, who didn't suffer fools. This woman is much more vulnerable and in some ways more tragic. She's kind of destroyed her life. She's an addict, an alcoholic… she's had a lot of bad men in her life, and she's come to the end of the road with the hopes that the monsignor will save her, she'll be something else and he'll make her life worth living. Of course, it all comes crashing down. She's left absolutely alone. The idea of being completely alone in the world coupled with madness, it's a really potent combination to play."

So, what happens next week? "I don't know what I'm allowed to say. Everything gets put into motion now, the demise of Briarcliff and everyone's departure from it except mine. She's trying to make things right, but she's totally trapped in her own thinking."

Lange admits that her favorite elements to play are loneliness and madness. "When I'm doing things because of this character's decent, it harkens back to when I played 'Frances.' [the 1982 film about Frances Farmer which earned her an Oscar nod]. In some odd way, I'm still doing the same things I was doing all those years ago, but under completely different auspices. Here's what I think is the difference. Now I feel like I have nothing to lose, so I don't mind putting myself out there in the most raw, naked, exposed way. I'm also able to do that because I feel Ryan would protect me somehow. I feel at this point now I can take any chance I want, I can go as far as I want. Judgment doesn't matter to me anymore. The slings and arrows... none of that matters to me anymore. Now the only thing I care about is, is it thrilling? Am I doing something I haven't done before, am I true? Have I found some vein of truth, and I'll follow that as far as I can go with it. I don't know if it has so much to do with age as how long I've been doing it."

While Lange doesn't think of her character as "creepy," she does concede that this season has been much darker. "It deals on a much darker psychological level. You've got human experiments... I think in some way last season was kind of like a ghost story, and this season it's the darker parts of the human psyche. I think the effect is that it's hard to watch. I hear that from people a lot... This season became darker than anyone anticipated because of the subject areas they laid out in the beginning, the ex-Nazi SS doctor and human experiments and the serial killer based on Ed Gein, the warehousing of human beings in these institutions madness. There's a lot of subjects they're covering... that lend themselves to great horror stories."

On a lighter note, Lange talked about one of her favorite co-stars -- Frances Conroy. "When we're on screen together, something happens. One of my favorite scenes I've played this year, is episode at the diner when she's come for me as the angel of death . There's almost a connection you can't really describe. (cont'd in next post)

by Anonymousreply 31712/07/2012

Certain actors just find something when they're working together. Every actor -- James, Sarah, Lily -- they're just a pleasure to work with. Even actors who come in for just a day's work have been amazing and really brought something and make your work better."

by Anonymousreply 31812/07/2012

[quote]There will be a new episode on the 12th, but on the 19th FX is showing The Hurt Locker.

Sure, makes sense. Pre-empt a dark scary horror show for Christmas with a movie about people blowing up in War.

by Anonymousreply 31912/07/2012

[quote] When it all becomes clear that everything was false, from the idea that she did not run over and kill this child -- which is what sent her on this path trying to find some kind of redemption -- she discovers everything was false from the beginning, there's a descent into madness that's completely different and much more interesting to play.

I guess the look on her face after she stabbed crazy Santa was that that was the beginning of her becoming mad herself.

by Anonymousreply 32012/08/2012

I think the article linked above sheds a little light on how quickly Ryan Murphy shows can turn to shit. Sounds like he just wings it.

It's worked well with AHS at least.

Jessica Lange said she really wanted to play a drunk scene, and boy did she ever. That scene and the one about the squirrel won her all the awards.

An article on HuffPo referred to some other quotes from the conference call. After all the pearl clutching going on in the old thread, and people suggesting that Jessica Lange wasn't happy with the darkness of this season, she said the only thing she's refused to do so far was a third scene caning the patients.

by Anonymousreply 32112/08/2012

The Santa episode was the first episode I found boring.

by Anonymousreply 32212/08/2012

[quote]Jessica Lange said she really wanted to play a drunk scene, and boy did she ever. That scene and the one about the squirrel won her all the awards.

The awards were for the first season. The second season awards haven't started yet.

by Anonymousreply 32312/08/2012

R323, I'm saying (like lots of others in the thread) that she already has them in the bag. She's been flawless this season.

by Anonymousreply 32412/08/2012

I know many love Lily Rabe (I certainly do; she definitely has that certain... je ne sais quoi about her that makes her both mesmerizing and wicked talented.

That being said, how many of you are loving Lange this season. What is the consensus on that on these forums?

Her performance this year is one word: Riveting.

by Anonymousreply 32512/08/2012

As a lesbian, I adore Jessica Lange. I do not care that she is getting older. She is such a great actor, one of the best and you know whatever she's in, she's going to bring it. I don't see Jessica, I see Sister Jude. Now that's an accomplishment. Considering how well we know her and how long she's been around, that she completely becomes her character is remarkable. And I loved her in Tootsie. I wanted her to be a lesbian. God she was gorgeous. Still is. The scene with Santa on the bed, you could still see her sexiness coming through. One request OT. How do you pronounce Rabe? I've never seen her outside of this show. She's great.

by Anonymousreply 32612/08/2012

Rhymes with babe.

by Anonymousreply 32712/08/2012

The first episode of this season, when I looked at Lange I saw Constance with a weird accent. Now I don't even remember Constance. She really is Sister Jude now.

by Anonymousreply 32812/08/2012

Totally agree R328! I am surprised how quickly I have pushed Constance out of my mind and accepted Sister Jude. Jessica Lange cannot get enough accolades she is fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 32912/08/2012

The scene with Sister Jude and the Angel of death was truly beautiful. To think that the same people a season ago were playing Constance and the maid! They completely turned that around and fully embodied their new characters, they are wonderful actresses. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 33012/08/2012

Love me some Jessica, always have, always will. Even loved her in Music Box.

by Anonymousreply 33112/08/2012

Going back to season one...

Constance said she had 4 children. There was Tate, Addy/Pretty Girl and that weird deformed guy chained up in the attic, but who was the fourth? I can't remember for the life of me.

by Anonymousreply 33212/09/2012

They never revealed who her fourth child was, R332. She said that they were all stricken with something, so maybe that child died very young.

At the time of the first series there were a lot of fans speculating that Tate was actually a set of twins, explaining why he couldn't remember the shooting.

by Anonymousreply 33312/09/2012

Ryan is definitely winging it - he's already forgotten plot devices from earlier episodes, like the creatures in the forest, and there's been no repercussions whatsoever about the murder of Chloe Sevigny's character in the real-world hospital...

Great acting, weak writing. Typical Ryan Murphy television (as was made clear in the article last week in the New Yorker).

by Anonymousreply 33412/09/2012

I don't like Lily Rabe, neither her acting nor her guinea pig face.

by Anonymousreply 33512/09/2012

I understand not liking Rabe but she doesn't bother me. I do think that her style is better suited to soap opera so she kind of fits in here.

by Anonymousreply 33612/09/2012

Rabe is also a great stage actor. I caught her at Portia in Merchant of Venice 2 summers ago in NYC (the one with Pacino as Shylock). I thought she was the best thing in that production.

by Anonymousreply 33712/09/2012

[quote]Ryan is definitely winging it - he's already forgotten plot devices from earlier episodes, like the creatures in the forest, and there's been no repercussions whatsoever about the murder of Chloe Sevigny's character in the real-world hospital... Great acting, weak writing. Typical Ryan Murphy television (as was made clear in the article last week in the New Yorker).

Sweetie, why don't you wait until the finale to deem a plot point forgotten or take your ADD meds. The writing has been amazing unless you're so uneducated in the world of film making you think Jessica Lange and cast are making up the words to their brilliant performance. And No I'm not Ryan Murphy for the "Hi!...insert name" troll.

by Anonymousreply 33812/09/2012

[quote] Ryan is definitely winging it - he's already forgotten plot devices from earlier episodes, like the creatures in the forest, and there's been no repercussions whatsoever about the murder of Chloe Sevigny's character in the real-world hospital...

Did you miss that one of the raspers actually got into the asylum when Kit broke back in?

And as far as Shelley, in 1964 she was a monster. No one would even go near her. No one would have cared that the vile creature was dead, no matter how she got that way.

by Anonymousreply 33912/09/2012

Lana gives birth to twins. So is that the connection to the first season? Is Dylan's character from season 1 Bloody Face's brother?

by Anonymousreply 34012/09/2012

Maybe so, R340. Murphy does seem to like the 'twins' theme.

by Anonymousreply 34112/09/2012

A friend told me that the nurse, Jessica thought she has run over as a child, was one of the nurses in last season's Richard Speck murder scene.

by Anonymousreply 34212/09/2012

[quote]Ryan is definitely winging it - he's already forgotten plot devices from earlier episodes, like the creatures in the forest,

You've not been paying close enough attention. There's been plenty on the raspers--they're ever present. They may well have taken Grace's body in the death chute.

[quote]and there's been no repercussions whatsoever about the murder of Chloe Sevigny's character in the real-world hospital...

We don't know yet. But we'll find out the repercussions of that soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 34312/09/2012

Sister Mary Eunice must be a fun role for Lily Rabe to play: with her looks, she must never get to play heavies (much less the embodiment of all evil).

by Anonymousreply 34412/09/2012

Sevigny's character was being given last rites by the monsignor. (Or she was supposed to have been). Her dying while a priest was giving her last rites--why would they do an inquest?

by Anonymousreply 34512/09/2012

Because R345, she was suffocated by him rather than whatever was supposed to be killing her. That she was murdered would have become clear in the inevitable autopsy.

by Anonymousreply 34612/10/2012

[quote] That she was murdered would have become clear in the inevitable autopsy.

Why do you say "inevitable?" Not in 1964, dear. And not of some creature like that.

by Anonymousreply 34712/10/2012

How did Sister Jude not know she didn't kill that girl? She obviously knew her name to visit her, so how was it not the girl in the newspaper who was killed?

by Anonymousreply 34812/10/2012

^ Good question. Maybe she was too scared to "look back". I mean, isn't that part of her character's tragedy? All of this happened/is happening to her behind her own bad decisions/false thoughts?

Also, the show made AFI and Huffington Posts top lists :)

by Anonymousreply 34912/11/2012

No more wire hangers!!

by Anonymousreply 35012/12/2012

Aaaaaand..back from her 4 week sabbatical in the's....PEPPER!

by Anonymousreply 35112/12/2012

Yay Pepper!!

by Anonymousreply 35212/12/2012

What's happening tonight other than the return of Pepper? Spoil me!

by Anonymousreply 35312/12/2012

This IS going to hurt.

by Anonymousreply 35412/12/2012

[quote] What's happening tonight other than the return of Pepper? Spoil me!

Sister Jude is now an inmate, and has been stripped of her sisterhood..she's just "Judy Martin" again. In present day, Dylan McDermott popped in as Bloodyface, Jr.. Lana found out she's preggers with Bloodyface, Jr.. Judy Martin apologized to Lana for everything she did to her. Lana and Kit had Threadson tucked away and tied up in a backroom at the asylum, and tricked him into confessing to some of the murders, which they got ion tape. Lana comes back later to kill Threadson, only to find that Sister Mary Satan released him.

All this and more, on tonight's episode of "Soap!"

by Anonymousreply 35512/12/2012

oh..and I almost forgot..twisted Santa crucifies the Monsignor.

by Anonymousreply 35612/12/2012

You forgot all about the good Doctor and his shenanigans.

by Anonymousreply 35712/12/2012

Well I couldn't spoil it ALL, R357

by Anonymousreply 35812/12/2012

So, EVERYONE is going to wind up as patients in the hospital? Is that how it's going to end?

by Anonymousreply 35912/12/2012

Well..except maybe for Sister Mary Satan, Threadson and Dr. Nazi.

Oh and Frances Conroy, who made a brief appearance at the end of tonight's episode.

by Anonymousreply 36012/12/2012

I thought Sister Jude killed evil Santa last week?

by Anonymousreply 36112/13/2012

Apparently it was only a flesh wound, R361.

by Anonymousreply 36212/13/2012

"American Horror Story: Asylum is brought to you by Victoria's Secret... The World's Sexiest Lingerie!"

by Anonymousreply 36312/13/2012

*Joseph Fiennes has a nice body

*Lana would be an idiot if she ever trusted Sister Jude

*they ruined the cliffhanger by showing the Monsignor survived to next week

*Unlike Jessica Lange, Dylan McDermott is unwilling to hide how articulate he comes across when he speaks in order to convincingly play a lower class character

*It was a shock hearing Pepper speak articulately--I assumed it was a dream sequence, but it looked from the teaser that Grace really did survive and is somehow pregnant (perhaps she is the parent of Bloodyface II)?

*I'm tired of Sister Mary Eunice boding ill all the time and hope they move forward finally next week and reveal her master plan

by Anonymousreply 36412/13/2012

Why would Grace be the mother of Bloody Face Two Electric Boogaloo since the doctor's theory of the aliens conducting eugenics experiments seems to be true. That mean's that Kit is the father, no?

BTW, I'm SO loving this show. Second week in a row where the show ends and I think, "Wait, I want more!"

by Anonymousreply 36512/13/2012

[quote]Why would Grace be the mother of Bloody Face Two Electric Boogaloo since the doctor's theory of the aliens conducting eugenics experiments seems to be true. That mean's that Kit is the father, no?

I dunno, condering that Bloody Face I raped Grace and she is now pregnant, one could assume that forty years later they would produce Bloody Face II.

[quote]*It was a shock hearing Pepper speak articulately--I assumed it was a dream sequence, but it looked from the teaser that Grace really did survive and is somehow pregnant (perhaps she is the parent of Bloodyface II)?

Didn't Pepper come back with Grace from The Aliens. If they can bring back the dead, they could probaly change Pepper too.

by Anonymousreply 36612/13/2012

Joseph Fiennes looked hot on the cross.

by Anonymousreply 36712/13/2012

He did. So did Evan strapped up on that gurney.

by Anonymousreply 36812/13/2012

[quote] dunno, condering that Bloody Face I raped Grace and she is now pregnant, one could assume that forty years later they would produce Bloody Face II.

Sorry, I meant Lana, Bloody Face raped her. I think they are the parents.

by Anonymousreply 36912/13/2012

"I dunno, condering that Bloody Face I raped Grace and she is now pregnant,"

Say wha...? When did this happen? Are you sure you're not confusing Grace with Lana? Or did I miss a major plot point?

by Anonymousreply 37012/13/2012

Grace is having Kit's alien baby.

by Anonymousreply 37112/13/2012

[quote] *they ruined the cliffhanger by showing the Monsignor survived to next week

Yes, but sadly not next week. The show's on holiday hiatus until January 2nd.

by Anonymousreply 37212/13/2012

American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy on Dylan McDermott's return and the upcoming episode in which 'half the cast dies' -- EXCLUSIVE

FX’s American Horror Story: Asylum aired its last episode until the new year on Wednesday and certainly made it a doozy for viewers. We got our first real scene with Dylan McDermott who is not only Bloody Face but also the son of Dr. Thredson (Zachary Quinto). Lana (Sarah Paulson) revealed that she was preggers with Thredson’s child which seems to mean that she’s then McDermott’s character’s mother. Meanwhile, Kit (Evan Peters) and the Monsignor (Joseph Fiennes) both appeared to be on the brink of death by the end of the episode. Plus, Pepper (Naomi Grossman) got really smart! With so much to discuss, EW talked to co-creator Ryan Murphy about this episode and the next installment in which Murphy says, “half the cast dies.”

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: The opening scene is so genius because not only does it pay homage to Dylan’s character on the first season, therapist Ben Harmon, but then also features Brooke Smith from The Silence of the Lambs. I’m assuming that was all planned?

RYAN MURPHY: Well, it was actually a strangely odd happy accident. We wrote that one scene and we had not yet cast Dylan. Dylan and I had been talking and he wanted to come back and I wanted him to come back. I said, “Well, I don’t want you to be the Dylan McDermott white collar guy.” So as soon as we wrote this scene, I said, “Couldn’t Dylan play this part? Does he look enough like Zach and Sarah?” And we all held up pictures in the writer’s room. We wrote one scene and I offered it to him so that was a happy accident. And then Brooke Smith just auditioned and that was a happy accident. I do think it came together in a weird tribute to many things but that was all by accident.

(more at link)

by Anonymousreply 37312/13/2012

Hmm. And here I thought maybe they were going to tie Dylan's characters from S1 & S2 together, somehow.

by Anonymousreply 37412/13/2012

Seems to me that if Satan was put in charge of a looney bin run by Catholics, Satan would be doing a whole lot more to upset the apple cart.

by Anonymousreply 37512/13/2012

Jessica Lange is still so pretty.

by Anonymousreply 37612/14/2012

Jude looked badass when she walked into the common room before smashing the Singing Nun record. It would be too similar maybe, but a women in prison series with Lange as Queen Bitch would be brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 37712/14/2012

Yes, R367, Monsignor Asshole certainly looked extremely fuckable nailed up on that there crucifix...pity he's sooo stupid!

by Anonymousreply 37812/14/2012

So did Dylan get naked?

by Anonymousreply 37912/14/2012

They couldn't show Jude breaking the record without five different edits.

by Anonymousreply 38012/14/2012

[quote]Seems to me that if Satan was put in charge of a looney bin run by Catholics, Satan would be doing a whole lot more to upset the apple cart.

Not if he is looking for an open invitation to Rome.

by Anonymousreply 38112/14/2012

What do you mean, R380?

by Anonymousreply 38212/14/2012

What r380 means, r382, is that he/she is an eldergay who finds quick-cut edits offensive to his/her failing eyes....

by Anonymousreply 38312/14/2012

Coming next year on F/X:

"Dr. Pepper: Mongoloid Mid-Wife"

by Anonymousreply 38412/14/2012

I want to eat out Pepper and have her juices all over my face. There, I said it!

by Anonymousreply 38512/14/2012

RE: Latest episode (#9, “The Coat Hanger”) and AHS in general:

Once again, Lange was/is the best in show. A show, I might add, that seems to be turning increasingly vicious and merciless on her character and, quite frankly, on her as an actress. As someone who is obsessed with Lange - obviously! - I’ve noticed, from hours and hours of dissecting her performance(s) on this show, that she seems to get the most unflattering lighting, the harshest angles and the most neutering editing (sometimes the worst writing, too). It doesn’t help that age isn’t necessarily working on her side and she’s also lived a harsh life - alcohol, cigarettes, a hard break-up and fading botox (those pesky awards shows, though, do seem to always get her right in the sweet spot when it comes to this Hollywood plague; stop it, girl, you is beautiful!).

Still, she manages to transcend all that shit and continually delivers. She’s a fucking bull, man (funny enough, she is on the Aries/Taurus cusp) and it shows in her willingness and dogged determination. Her performances on this show have been fierce to behold and I love that the industry has showered her with so much love, praise and hardware for not only being one of the greatest actresses to ever grace the big or small screen but also for being brave enough to A) star on a Ryan Murphy show (I think it’s self-explanatory why that’s brave) and B) to dive in head first into the dreaded “Horror Genre” pool. In the end, though, she’s come out smelling like the Bette Davis of her/this generation (cigarettes, booze and all).

Also, I’m so, so, so looking forward to “Therese”. I’m actually happy it’s being released next year in time for all of the festivals and awards. I really think she’s going to be welcomed warmly by those who matter. Also, from what I hear she, along with Olsen, are “amazing” in the pic.

That being said, I’ve sort of changed my mind and hope she doesn’t return for season three of “American Horror Story”. Maybe she’ll get other TV or film offers and maybe she won’t (she can always focus on her photography and finally get something published in terms of her writing). In either case, I feel like it’s her time to move on. I also feel it might do the show some good. I mean, as long as Lange is around she will continue being the only awards magnet on this thing. She can’t help that she outshines everyone despite the aforementioned obstacles…

Anyway, it’s time for Lange to drop the security blanket and for the show to pop off its training wheels and take off on its own. I would wish it well…

Finally, CONGRATULATIONS, Ms. Lange (and all rooting fans), for your recent Golden Globe and SAG Award nominations!!!! Another year of “just desserts” – what a loaded phrase, lol – seems to be coming your way!

If she doesn’t win, I know she’d be happy for whomever does (I’m looking at you Danes and Moore).

EDIT: Aside from Lange, Paulson is officially my favorite. She should’ve been nominated for both “AHS: Asylum” and “Game Change” at the SAGs and Globes. Also, though I love Rabe - almost as much as Paulson - she’s starting to become - or maybe it’s the writing - a bit too self aware. Personally, I’m leaning more towards it being the writing. We get it, you’re the devil, you hate Sister Jude Martin and get off on ridiculing and punishing her, along with killing others, and you want to ascend to the highest offices of the Catholic Church. Still, I’d rather see more of the real Sister Mary Eunice than “Eunicefer”. Give the girl some heart and substance.

It always works wonders for Lange (or is it she who is bringing the heart and substance to the material?)…

by Anonymousreply 38612/14/2012

needs caps of the crucified monsignor

by Anonymousreply 38712/14/2012

Since Murphy confirmed that Bloodyface II is the son of Thredson and Lana, then that means Thredson will become publicly known as Bloodyface and Kit gets cleared. Since Dylan's character found out his dad was Bloodyface on the Internet.

by Anonymousreply 38812/16/2012

OMG! No AHS til January!!! Whatevers ares wes gonnas dos!!!???

by Anonymousreply 38912/17/2012

Episode 10 airs tonight!

"The Name Game"

The Monsignor confronts the Devil. Dr. Arden’s experiments reach a shocking conclusion. Dr. Thredson facilitates a surprising reunion for Kit.

by Anonymousreply 39001/02/2013

Thanks for the reminder R390!

by Anonymousreply 39101/02/2013

Thanks for the reminder!

by Anonymousreply 39201/02/2013

bump for the new episode airing tonight!

by Anonymousreply 39301/02/2013

I'm sooooooooooooo excited!

by Anonymousreply 39401/02/2013

I want Pepper!!

by Anonymousreply 39501/02/2013

Pepper vs Dr. Arden! It's ON!!

by Anonymousreply 39601/02/2013

Glee invades American Horror Story....

by Anonymousreply 39701/02/2013

[quote]Glee invades American Horror Story....

And it was fabulous, I particularly loved the patient banging his head on tthe post to the beat.

by Anonymousreply 39801/02/2013

I loved it too!

by Anonymousreply 39901/02/2013

Jessica was fab doing the 60s go-go lipsynch, as was Sarah and the kid who plays Kit. Who choreographed that number? They should use that person over on GLEE.

Joe Fiennes having sex with Lily was hot too (as was the crematorium finale).

by Anonymousreply 40001/03/2013

Only 2 more episodes left in this season, BTW...

by Anonymousreply 40101/03/2013

I saw Mark Consuelos' name in the credits tonight, but didn't see him onscreen - unless he was one of the freaks the Doctor shot out in the woods. Did I miss his big scene while I was preparing food for my dinner party and snacks for my kids' slumber party at the same time in my Electrolux appliances?

by Anonymousreply 40201/03/2013

Three episodes left, R401.

by Anonymousreply 40301/03/2013

Here's a terrible taped-off-the-TV capture of Jessica breaking down "The Name Game."

Loved it!

by Anonymousreply 40401/03/2013

Yes, Kelly, he was one of the ones Arden shot. Actually, the first one.

Loved that 'Name Game' number - totally unexpected, but I actually rewound and watched it again. I just can't say enough about Jessica and her acting.

by Anonymousreply 40501/03/2013

Ditto R405. Loved "The Name Game."

by Anonymousreply 40601/03/2013

I know, R406 - I've watched it a couple more times. It was so unexpected, and yet so brilliant to throw in. I know, I know - MARY! I also thought it was a great way to allow Jessica to let her character loose, even if it was intrinsically dark and sad. Yeah, yeah - MARY!

by Anonymousreply 40701/03/2013

Since the lyrics were changed to fit characters on the show, was that Jessica singing?.

by Anonymousreply 40801/03/2013

'American Horror Story': Ryan Murphy on this week's major character deaths and hints about season 3 -- EXCLUSIVE

by Anonymousreply 40901/03/2013

Yes R408, it was really Jessica doing the singing.

by Anonymousreply 41001/03/2013

Here's a little better link of the video on youtube

by Anonymousreply 41101/03/2013

I think this is the first time I've ever seen Sarah Paulson smile.... in anything.

by Anonymousreply 41201/03/2013

From NY MAG:

Writer: I guess we should first talk about “The Name Game” —

Jessica Lange: [Laughs.]

Writer: … which was insane. I loved it.

JL: Did it work?

Writer: It so worked.

JL: I didn’t know! I thought, Have we crossed a line? Are we gonna actually be able to pull this off?

by Anonymousreply 41301/03/2013

How appropriate that the Nazi doctor met his demise in the oven.

by Anonymousreply 41401/03/2013

When will we see Zachary Q naked? It's bad enough that his character is obssessed with female nurturing issues but to not show us what I bet is a perfect ass isn't right.

by Anonymousreply 41501/03/2013

Lange: I think people are going to be surprised by the ending. I was.

by Anonymousreply 41601/03/2013

"There was a priest, the dirty beast, Whose name was Alexander. His mighty dick was inches thick, He called it Salamander."

This show.

I was describing last night's episode to a co-worker who doesn't watch AHS:A, and when I said something like, "The possessed nun raped the Monsignor, who had earlier been crucified on the cross by the bad Santa," I realized how completely insane this all sounded.

by Anonymousreply 41701/03/2013

Have to give credit to Naomi Grossman who plays Pepper. She was amazing last night alternating from Pinhead in the music number to telling her history to intimidating the Nazi.

by Anonymousreply 41801/03/2013

[quote]When will we see Zachary Q naked? It's bad enough that his character is obssessed with female nurturing issues but to not show us what I bet is a perfect ass isn't right.

We saw his ass a few episodes ago.

by Anonymousreply 41901/03/2013

Can I watch Season 2 without previously watching Season 1? Based on what I read here I think I can. If I like Season 2 I may watch 1, but it seems most of you like 2 better anyway.

by Anonymousreply 42001/03/2013

R420. Yes, the two seasons have completely different stories and characters.

by Anonymousreply 42101/03/2013

Thanks, R421. I'm going to start tonight.

by Anonymousreply 42201/03/2013

Besides "The Name Game" scene, there were quite a few excellent scenes. I loved Pepper's scenes playing against Dr. Arden.

by Anonymousreply 42301/03/2013

I don't think people like season 2 better, it's just that it's a different kind of story. I'd say at this point they're about equal. Season 1 meandered and then ended strong, and I have a feeling S2 will end well, too.

by Anonymousreply 42401/03/2013

Is it too soon to speculate about the setting of Season 3? People on other sites are making guesses based on the "blink and you'll miss it" clue from Ryan.

by Anonymousreply 42501/04/2013

So Death took Mary Eunice AND the demon? How does that work?

by Anonymousreply 42601/04/2013

[quote] So Death took Mary Eunice AND the demon? How does that work?

I think that death taking Sister Mary Satan allowed her soul to be free of the Devil, and there wasn't anyone near her for Satan to jump into.

by Anonymousreply 42701/04/2013

Also, Mary Eunice wasn't exorcised so the demon was never driven from her.

by Anonymousreply 42801/04/2013

Note that Mary Eunice's soul, which was just about to give up, did in fact make it, so she had her redemption. I was glad of that--Mary Eunice had a tough run of it.

by Anonymousreply 42901/04/2013

Go read R409's link -- good stuff there.

by Anonymousreply 43001/04/2013

I can't wait to see how the aliens play into all of this.

by Anonymousreply 43101/04/2013

So has anyone figured out the clue to season 3's setting?

by Anonymousreply 43201/04/2013

Did "The Name Game" sequence remind anyone else of the Bjork movie DANCER IN THE DARK?

by Anonymousreply 43301/04/2013

They should set next season in Washington, DC. There could be a secret witches' coven in the Senate, a la Rosemary's Baby. Jessica Lange could play the First Lady who tries to expose them, or she could be the head witch.

by Anonymousreply 43401/04/2013

For season three, I really want the "Suspiria"/70's giallo ballet school setting that was hinted at a while back.

by Anonymousreply 43501/04/2013

So the aliens just dropped off Pepper and Grace when Arden summoned them? I wonder whether either of them will mention the aliens to anyone else.

Perhaps Lana Banana will be taken by them, like Vicki in 3rd Rock from the Sun.

by Anonymousreply 43601/04/2013

The alien/Kit storyline has been the weak link this season. So boring. The only good thing about it was Pepper getting an actual role in this most recent episode.

Was that the end of Dr. Arden's zombies (or whatever they were) storyline? Well, that one fizzled out.

I think they should have ended the Bloody Face storyline early and kept the Mary Eunice possession storyline going for the finale. Evil Mary Eunice is a much better antagonist than Bloody Face. But BF was set up as the "big bad" from the beginning so they had to go with that I guess.

by Anonymousreply 43701/04/2013

Sweet little Pepper did not drown her sister's baby and cut its ears off?

by Anonymousreply 43801/04/2013

[quote] Sweet little Pepper did not drown her sister's baby and cut its ears off?

Nope. But it was easy in those days to pass the Peppers off as monsters and for others to get away with their crimes by doing so.

by Anonymousreply 43901/04/2013

I'd love a giallo-inspired season. Or a Body Snatchers theme.

I'm sensing its going to be more Southern Gothic, though.. I just hope it's not voodoo or witches.

by Anonymousreply 44001/04/2013

And then I say the name again with an F very plain and a fee fy and a mo And then I say the name again with an M this time and there isn't any name that I can't rhyme

by Anonymousreply 44101/04/2013

and a mo ???

by Anonymousreply 44201/04/2013

I thought "The Name Game" sequence was stupid. It was so obviously set up with the arrival of the jukebox (couldn't they have done that at least last episode to make it seem less forced), and there was no reason to have it in the plot.

The sort of people who liked it are the sort of people who would like it if Lawrence of Arabia would have suddenly broken into singing "It's Too Darn Hot!" in the David Lean movie. Some people just want everything to be like a musical; but this made no sense.

by Anonymousreply 44301/04/2013

Have zero information but I do think the song "I Put A Spell On You" is the clue.

by Anonymousreply 44401/04/2013

R443, Ryan Murphy has paid homage to alot of other shows and movies in AHS. I assume he was doing the same for "Glee". For that reason alone, I liked it.

by Anonymousreply 44501/04/2013

It did make sense in the context of Judy's shock therapy and the experience she was having, R443. I thought it was actually a clever way to break the darkness of the asylum.

by Anonymousreply 44601/04/2013

For R425, R432, and 440--

Someone on another forum noticed that all of the songs featured inside the jukebox had some connection to New Orleans (Screaming Jay Hawkins, Shirley Ellis, Billie Holliday, and Perry Como has a song about New Orleans). SME played "I Put A Spell On You" for Sister Jude. It seems like voodoo and some Creole-style gothic could be the direction they go in.

by Anonymousreply 44701/04/2013

I'm not sure those are the last of Dr. Arden's raspers (he shot four of them, including the Mark Cosuelos one, but there are probably more in the woods still). We have yet to have the requisite scene of someone being chased in the woods by them.

I will miss Mary Eunice, but we know this season that anyone might come back, brought back to life by the aliens.

by Anonymousreply 44801/04/2013

[quote] I will miss Mary Eunice, but we know this season that anyone might come back, brought back to life by the aliens.

But there's no body left to bring back for Sister Mary Satan.

by Anonymousreply 44901/04/2013

[quote]. It was so obviously set up with the arrival of the jukebox (couldn't they have done that at least last episode to make it seem less forced)

Well, they did. They had Sister Jude smash their only record in the last episode which is why the jukebox was brought in.

But even so, what a nitpicky complaint.

by Anonymousreply 45001/04/2013

I'm surprised no one mentioned that Pepper's speech to Arden about having the doctor face his punishment, only to have to return to Briarcliff as a freak himself was lifted almost entirely from the movie "Freaks".

by Anonymousreply 45101/04/2013

[quote]Ryan Murphy has paid homage to alot of other shows and movies in AHS. I assume he was doing the same for "Glee". For that reason alone, I liked it.

Actually, Murphy said "Glee" had nothing to do with it. Jessica Lange herself asked for a big musical scene and it made perfect sense. Lana was asking if she knew her name and who she was. In Judy's mind, especially before becoming an alcoholic, she thought of her self as a fabulous singer.

[quote]I thought "The Name Game" sequence was stupid.

So glad I don't know you.

by Anonymousreply 45201/04/2013

[quote]So glad I don't know you.

Honey, that sentiment's returned right back atcha a hundredfold.

by Anonymousreply 45301/04/2013

Girls, girls you're both petty.

by Anonymousreply 45401/04/2013

R452 Plus, Sister Jude has always called Lana "Lana Banana" which I guess has always been a reference to the song.

Haven't been a big fan of the season so far, but the name game has definitely been the highlight.

by Anonymousreply 45501/05/2013

I want to eat Pepper out and have her pussy juices dripping down my chin!

by Anonymousreply 45601/05/2013

R440 -- I agree. Season 1 had a southern gothic vibe because of Connie, so I hope the show takes a different direction next season. I wonder if Ian McShane will be in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 45701/05/2013

Why did Joseph Fiennes do a Jonathan Pryce vocal impression throughout? It would only be more jarring if he was doing James Mason.

by Anonymousreply 45801/05/2013

I wonder if Lily Rabe will be back next season?

by Anonymousreply 45901/05/2013

The Name Game clip. I can't stop watching it.

by Anonymousreply 46001/05/2013

R460 - somebody's put a spell on you...

by Anonymousreply 46101/05/2013

They killing everyone. Where the fuck is this show going?

by Anonymousreply 46201/05/2013

[quote] It was so obviously set up with the arrival of the jukebox

by Anonymousreply 46301/05/2013

[quote]And we’re contemplating shooting the show in a different place. We’re contemplating shooting it in a place in the country where true horror has been. We’ve got lots of delicious plans.

Fits R447's New Orleans theory.

by Anonymousreply 46401/05/2013

Was hoping Jude would pick Blue Velvet on the jukebox.

A Blue Velvet inspired series could be interesting.

by Anonymousreply 46501/05/2013

They still haven't explained what Dr. Nazi was blackmailing Joe Feinnes with so he could continue his experiments. I feel like something is missing with both the raspers and the Monsignor's backstory.

by Anonymousreply 46601/05/2013

I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed Joseph's O face.

by Anonymousreply 46701/06/2013

Me too R467 but I wish we'd seen his cock.

How come there's been no gay content in this series - lesbians, yes, but no homo men stuff.

by Anonymousreply 46801/06/2013

Lange is indeed chewing up the screen, but Rabe is fantastic too. They're both perfectly cast.

by Anonymousreply 46901/06/2013

[quote] How come there's been no gay content in this series - lesbians, yes, but no homo men stuff.

The homos were featured last season.

by Anonymousreply 47101/06/2013

But r470: you call people on every thread a bunch of fraus.

by Anonymousreply 47201/06/2013

they never answered the question was it inches thick?

what I don't get though is the priest knows Judy was imprisioned illegally, why not free her?

by Anonymousreply 47301/06/2013

I bet season 3 is going to be like the Skeleton Key, with Jessica Lange playing a Gena Rowlands-type character.

by Anonymousreply 47401/06/2013

Good guess, R474. That's one movie they haven't tapped for content, yet. A season of voodoo/hoodoo could be pretty fun.

by Anonymousreply 47501/06/2013

Yeah I just can't wait for Ryan Murphy to start talking about race on this show!

by Anonymousreply 47601/06/2013

"The Name Game" sequence was hilarious. It was great to see Evan Peters smile for a change and Jessica is doing what she needs to for Emmy #2.

I think Joseph Fiennes is miscast. His accent is all over the place and I don't find him at all convincing as a priest. He comes off as weak with no air of authority. If this guy was supposed to be headed up the hierachy to Rome, he would have a lot more going on.

by Anonymousreply 47701/06/2013

That's what I was thinking about Fiennes, R477. I would have called him this year's Dylan McDermott, except Dylan McDermott is this year's Dylan McDermott.

by Anonymousreply 47801/06/2013

Next week Jessica Lange will perform "The Clapping Song."

by Anonymousreply 47901/06/2013

I haven't caught an episode since the one on 12/12 when Ian McShane turned the tables on Joseph Feinnes at the end. Either FX or Time-Warner cable hasn't put any subsequent episodes on-demand. And you can't watch episodes on Hulu or the FX site.

WTF is going on?

by Anonymousreply 48001/06/2013

R480. The 1/2 episode was the first new episode since 12/12. It will probably be available on demand soon.

by Anonymousreply 48101/07/2013

R480, the episodes go online within 10 mins after they finish airing East coast time.

by Anonymousreply 48201/07/2013

[quote]They still haven't explained what Dr. Nazi was blackmailing Joe Feinnes with so he could continue his experiments. I feel like something is missing with both the raspers and the Monsignor's backstory.

Well Mark Consuelo a few weeks ago said he had just shot his first nude scene and since he was killed last week, there are probably flashbacks coming up explaining things during the last three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 48301/07/2013

[quote]Yeah I just can't wait for Ryan Murphy to start talking about race on this show!

Have you been watching this season? One of the key relationships is between a white man and black woman.

by Anonymousreply 48401/07/2013

i am just happy there is potential for Dylan McDermot to be nude again. I love that man..

by Anonymousreply 48501/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 48601/07/2013

On another board, someone guessed that the "blink and you'll miss it clue" was the record label of the Name Game 45 in the juke box: "Congress." I'd love if S3 was set in DC.

by Anonymousreply 48701/07/2013

"the episodes go online within 10 mins after they finish airing East coast time."

Where? I can't find them on Hulu or

by Anonymousreply 48801/07/2013

R480, it appears on at least 10 sites I can think of just off the top of my head. Below is one such place. You need to spend some time learning to use the internet.

by Anonymousreply 48901/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 49001/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 49101/07/2013

Christ I hope the next one isn't set in the world of politics.

by Anonymousreply 49201/07/2013

R493 is functionally retarded. I really hope you don't vote or drive.

by Anonymousreply 49401/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 49501/09/2013

OMG WTF 🙀🙀🙀🙀

by Anonymousreply 49601/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 49701/09/2013

This show is dead. Not one post.

by Anonymousreply 49801/09/2013

Terrible episode.

by Anonymousreply 49901/10/2013

Airs in less than 40 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 50001/10/2013

They're killing off all of the interesting characters.

by Anonymousreply 50101/10/2013

Was it on tonight? Why's the thread not been bumped up?

by Anonymousreply 50201/10/2013

SPOILERS so if you haven't watched the latest episode stop reading.

Wondering if Grace is gonna chop up Kit and Alma and keep the babies for herself. Cause it has not been established which version of her story is the correct one.

by Anonymousreply 50301/10/2013

It's called wrapping up the season 501.

by Anonymousreply 50401/10/2013

Yes, it was on. Bad episode, probably people lost interest.

by Anonymousreply 50501/10/2013

Despite his lack of rear nudity this season, Dylan McDermot is much hotter this season as a sleaze in a wifebeater with a rat-tail than he was last season as a one-percenter.

by Anonymousreply 50601/10/2013

It's unbelievable to me Lana would ever consider carrying that baby to term. Even in 1964.

by Anonymousreply 50801/10/2013

Wow, they finished a lot of the story very quickly! It's amazing they've got two episodes left. I thought Lana would be a goner in Dr. Threadson's house.

My prediction is that Johnny/Dylan McDermott will not turn out to be Lana's and Dr. Threadson's baby--he will probably turn out to be Grace's baby.

by Anonymousreply 50901/10/2013

There's only one episode left, R509. Still much to wrap up in a short period of time.

by Anonymousreply 51001/10/2013

there are two episodes left.

by Anonymousreply 51101/10/2013

Hmmm... so there are, R511. I thought there were only 12 episodes. I'm kinda glad there are 2 left. I had a hard time imagining how they could wrap up so much in one final episode.

by Anonymousreply 51201/10/2013

You know, R507, those whiny complaints about Datalounge are so 2007. Why don't YOU think of something interesting to say on your own?

by Anonymousreply 51301/10/2013

What did Grace name the baby?

by Anonymousreply 51401/10/2013

[quote] It's amazing they've got two episodes left.

There's really only 1 episode left. Next week is the 2 hour season finale.

by Anonymousreply 51501/10/2013

by Anonymousreply 51601/10/2013

Awful direction of a lame episode. The camera only stopped moving when it wanted to settle on a ridiculous angle.

I like Lana Banana's friend: "my family doesn't suspect"

Ryan has said that the season will have a happy ending so don't expect Lana, Jude, or Kit to croak.

by Anonymousreply 51701/10/2013

RM: "Never underestimate a Machiavellian priest. There’s no more wily species on the planet."

by Anonymousreply 51801/10/2013

I thought it was a riveting episode with inventive direction. Some of you didn't like it because it wasn't that scary. Fantastic acting from Paulson, Quinto and the black prostitute.

by Anonymousreply 51901/10/2013

Did Murphy really say there were happy endings for everyone? I think Grace is gonna kill Kit with an axe and that Dylan McDermott is their son. The breastfeeding scene with Lana already hints that she's not the mother he's been talking about.

by Anonymousreply 52001/10/2013

Dylan was saying that his mother never loved his father, pretty much sympathizing with his father. How would he know any of that if his father was dead before he was born?

by Anonymousreply 52101/10/2013

I think r520 is onto something

by Anonymousreply 52201/10/2013

Murphy did not say happy endings. He said definite resolutions.

He also has said that Dylan McDermot is the son of Thresden and Lana, but that could be misdirection. However, the breast feeding scene with Lana would lose a lot of poignancy if they made Bloodyface Kit's.

by Anonymousreply 52301/10/2013

[quote] Obviously Dylan is living in his father’s house. Is he using his father’s dungeon?

[quote] Yes. You will see that in the next two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 52401/10/2013

R521, he said he found out who his parents were on the Internet. The fact that his mom killed his father, and likely wrote a book about her experience probably led him to this knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 52501/10/2013

My guess is that Dylan's character, Johnny, read Lana's memoir of what happened to her (we saw in the preview for next week it will be published) and so learned she did not love Threadson.

But that still does not necessarily mean Johnny is Lana and Threadson's son.

by Anonymousreply 52601/10/2013

I really don't think he's Kit's son. He doesn't seem like an alien, but also I don't imagine this great purpose they're attaching to these alien babies, to the point of having Pepper act as a guardian, is for it to grow up to be a white trash serial killer.

by Anonymousreply 52701/10/2013

Hey, broken record at R498, R499, R501, R505 we get your point. Ill-informed as it is.

I am absolutely loving this season. While I think it's been easy to figure out some of the plot twists -- like Sister Jude getting committed -- many others I haven't seen coming. I love that every week I watch and am surprised by something.

During last night's episode, I kept thinking "Oh no, they're wrapping everything up too quickly." How often does anyone ever say that EVER about TV dramas?

Also, R515, you are incorrect. There are two more hour-long episodes, Jan. 16 and 23.

by Anonymousreply 52801/10/2013

[quote] There are two more hour-long episodes, Jan. 16 and 23.

On the previews for upcoming episodes last night I swear I heard them say "2 hour season finale"

by Anonymousreply 52901/10/2013

When Kit and Grace were talking about Alma and the aliens, Grace made the comment "keep in mind, not everything they do turns out right" (or something to that effect). It makes me think the aliens messed with Alma and/or her baby and warped them in some way.

by Anonymousreply 53001/10/2013

The Dylan McDermott/milk maid scene was really something. I'm surprised the censors let them air it. They even showed Dylan with milk dripping down his chin.

by Anonymousreply 53101/10/2013

It was gross.

by Anonymousreply 53201/10/2013

Murphy said another clue was in last night's ep. Love Potion #9 was in the jukebox this week, and last week was I Put A Spell On You.

by Anonymousreply 53301/10/2013

[quote] Murphy said another clue was in last night's ep. Love Potion #9 was in the jukebox this week, and last week was I Put A Spell On You.

I was thinking that those might be the clues too.

by Anonymousreply 53401/10/2013

Good sleuthing, r533 and r534. I think a voudou AHS would be great, and since they've used the West for season #1 and the East for season #2, it would make sense to do season #3 in the South.

It would also mean we would get to see more African-American actors (like the woman who played the prostitute last night--as someone said upthread, she was excellent & I'd like to see her again).

I hope he goes historical again and does not set it in the present day. I'd love to see it set in the late 19th or early 20th century.

here's hoping we get to see zombies, spells, potions, and snakes...

by Anonymousreply 53501/10/2013

I knew I recognized the music from Lana's escape. It's Philip Glass's theme from Candyman. Gorgeous.

Next week's preview suggests Lana has hardened a bit and wants to keep Briarcliff open. Maybe she's placed her child with someone there?

The clues suggest witchcraft, not necessarily New Orleans. I hope it is though - Jessica Lange as someone based on Madama LaLaurie could be brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 53601/10/2013

@ [R535]: the actress who played the prostitute on last night's episode was Jill Marie Jones. She was the character Toni on Girlfriends...

by Anonymousreply 53701/10/2013

Love Potion #9 specifically references Baton Rouge. I wouldn't be surprised if it's set in Louisiana. The only other place I can think of that would make sense would be Salem, but this season was already set in Massachusetts and I assume they'd want to mix it up a little.

by Anonymousreply 53801/10/2013

I think Lana is nuts enough to belong in the asylum since she went back to Thredsen's house!

by Anonymousreply 53901/10/2013

Wow, I did not recognize Jill Marie Jones. I never would have guessed that that was her.

by Anonymousreply 54001/10/2013

Man, that Monsignor is such an evil douche. Getting laid didn't do him any favors. if it weren't for the scene with the Angel saying 'I take you both' I would have guessed that the Evil that posessed Sister Mary got into him.

I wonder what Kit is doing now with his wife and her son being back in the picture? And Grace is an ax murderess after all.

by Anonymousreply 54101/10/2013

[quote]Love Potion #9 specifically references Baton Rouge. I wouldn't be surprised if it's set in Louisiana.

Louisiana has studios now, and some of the biggest tax credit giveaways for film/TV production. A voodoo-themed AHS season would have lots of opportunity for location and exterior shots...

by Anonymousreply 54201/10/2013

@R540: Yes, it was good to see her working again on a national show.. She was the best thing about Girlfriends, and it was sad to see her written out of the show because of off-screen shenanigans...

by Anonymousreply 54301/10/2013

Jill Marie Jones got really fucking fat. She was my favorite on Girlfriends. She's obese and gross now.

by Anonymousreply 54401/10/2013

The direction was so heavy handed with all the candy camera work that it all felt like a dream; I couldn't get invested in anything nor take any of it seriously brcause it was all so visually over the top and stupid. The director needs a less show offy dp to work with because he obviously can't reign whoever designed those idiotic shots in.

by Anonymousreply 54501/10/2013

Isn't that dude from Modern Family supposed to come back for an episode?

by Anonymousreply 54601/10/2013

r544 are you inSANE??

Obese and gross????? She's neither, you freakin' lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 54701/10/2013

[quote]he obviously can't reign whoever designed those idiotic shots in.

Oh, [italic]dear.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 54801/10/2013

I preferred the look of this ep. It's the same director as the second Anne Frank episode. TV is so lazy and typically is all about boring coverage. This one, with the De Palma-esque split screen, was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 54901/10/2013

As I said earlier, I think next season will borrow from "The Skeleton Key" with Lange playing a Gena Rowlands-type character. I'd throw a little "I Walked with a Zombie" in there, too, for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 55001/10/2013

R545, I'm not sure what "candy camera work" is, but I agree with R549. I love the DePalma-esque style of it.

by Anonymousreply 55101/10/2013

R538, where does "Love Potion #9" reference Baton Rouge? I can't find it.

by Anonymousreply 55201/10/2013

Yes, perhaps the new season of AHS will take place in N'awlins around the time of Marie Laveau. I could see Jessica playing Madama Delphine LaLauria. The Devil Baby of Bourbon Street would make an interesting story. Or, perhaps Jessica could play a Gothic Southern Belle ala Hush... Hush, Sweet Charlotte with LilyRabe playing the scheming younger long lost "cousin" and Ralph Fiennes playing Charlotte's morally ambiguous Doctor. Zachery Quinto could play the seemingly sympathetic young Lawyer, who represents the company that wants Charlotte's dilapidated mansion, in order to build a new highway. I would love to see a twist on the story line with Rabe, Fiennes and Quinto in a love threesome. All of them trying to scheme Charlotte out of her home, for varying, but equally sinister reasons. Sissy Spacek could play Charlotte's oldest friend and main competetion for men's affections when they were both young Southern Belles. And Francis could play the life long family housekeeper who knowingly is suspicious of ALL of them!

by Anonymousreply 55301/10/2013

Ralph Fiennes is too famous for this show.

by Anonymousreply 55401/10/2013

Laughing at myself. I meant Joseph Fiennes, 554.

by Anonymousreply 55501/10/2013

Isn't this Joseph Fiennes first successful TV show he is in? The others were canceled within the first season. Pretty/Handsome (a Ryan Murphy prouction he tried to start between Nip/Tuck and Glee) didn't even get picked up after the pilot was filmed.

by Anonymousreply 55601/10/2013

Duh! I should've realized that, R553.

Do we know who from the cast will be returning yet? I know Lange. I'd like to see Fiennes back with a more fun role. Peters, Rabe and Paulson will hopefully be back, too.

by Anonymousreply 55701/10/2013

Actually after all the junk Ralph Fiennes has been doing the last decade, he could redeem himself with American Horror Story III.

by Anonymousreply 55801/10/2013

Junk, R558?

by Anonymousreply 55901/10/2013

So does anyone think Grace really is an axe murderer?

They showed her telling two versions of her story to Kit. From all that we have seen so far which one seems like the right one? I think she is crazy and did kill her family because of it.

Also there is the thing she said to Kit about the aliens, that they don't always get things right. Could she have been referring to herself in that statement?

by Anonymousreply 56001/10/2013

[quote]Junk, [R558]? Like VOLTEMORT???

Did I say junk? I meant classics, like "Clash of the Titans" and "Nanny McPhee Returns".

by Anonymousreply 56101/11/2013

R529, it was actually something like "Only one more episode until the season finale."

by Anonymousreply 56201/11/2013

I think Grace is an alien. Perhaps Alma, too.

Grace was given a kiss by the Angel of Death. From everything else we've seen, that's pretty permanent ( just ask Sister Mary Eunice).

Alma died too and is now back with a baby. Perhaps the aliens need to take over a dead body.

by Anonymousreply 56301/11/2013

Lange already did the southern belle thing in season 1. She was great, but I don't see them repeating that.

by Anonymousreply 56401/11/2013

Either the alien race needs hosts (babies?) or skin suits (dead women who fucked Kit) to walk on earth.

by Anonymousreply 56501/11/2013

AHS should do a special episode- a remake of Clue. Lily Rabe could camp it up as Mrs White, Quinto as Mr Green, and bring back Alex Breckenridge to play Yvette.

by Anonymousreply 56601/11/2013

R545, the "over the top" "candy camera work" was an homage to film noir and De Palma, as several reviewers had pointed out. It was visually stunning and a nice tribute to the horror masters that the creative team at AHS try to emulate.

by Anonymousreply 56701/11/2013

I found both the critiques and praise on the camera work interesting, learn something new through it.

Anyways, I loved how Lana escaped the second time and how it paralleled the first time she escape through Thredson.

However this episode felt kind of "empty" following the cramped "we are wrapping" previous episode.

Gotta love the blunt butch. "No one in my family suspects." Haha.

by Anonymousreply 56801/11/2013

I love Lana's lesbian cronies! They should get their own show. Perhaps an 80's-set Cruising inspired series, with lesbian policewomen on the case.

by Anonymousreply 56901/11/2013

by Anonymousreply 57001/15/2013

We'll probably finish the season on a third thread since this one (the second) is already almost full with two more new episodes to go, so that actually makes it one of the most popular TV show threads on DL, hysterical MARY! at R570.

This week's new episode isn't even on until tomorrow night.

Simma down na, hun.

by Anonymousreply 57101/15/2013

Due to popular demand as per Ryan Murphy's Tweet, he has released Jessica Lange's "The Name Game" on iTunes! C'mon everybody, spend a buck 29 and let's give Jessica Lange a hit record! Plus, it's fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 57301/16/2013

another clue in tonight's episode about the location of next season.

by Anonymousreply 57401/16/2013

The direction was purposely aping DePalma r545. This show apes directors and music ALL THE TIME. It's part of the fun of it.

I'm sorry that you're a film illiterate, but the rest of the world got it.

by Anonymousreply 57501/16/2013

[quote] Due to popular demand as per Ryan Murphy's Tweet, he has released Jessica Lange's "The Name Game" on iTunes! C'mon everybody, spend a buck 29 and let's give Jessica Lange a hit record! Plus, it's fabulous.

LOVE IT! Can't stop listening...

by Anonymousreply 57601/16/2013

And do we think the number in its entirety will be included in the DVD release?

by Anonymousreply 57701/16/2013

quote]And do we think the number in its entirety will be included in the DVD release?

Tweet him and ask. He's very accommodating, he got a lot of praise for "The Name Game" scene and graciously gives Jessica all the credit. She lost The Golden Globe this week to Julianne Moore's impersonation of Tina Fey so a hit record would be cool.

Warning, spoilers for tonight.

by Anonymousreply 57801/16/2013

Dear Dylan McDermott,

I have fallen in love with you.

I don't mean to shock you but I am a man.

You are the best and sexiest of all the actors.

by Anonymousreply 57901/16/2013

One down.

by Anonymousreply 58001/16/2013

Judy Martin, er..Betty Drake and Pepper! In cahoots!

by Anonymousreply 58101/16/2013

[quote]another clue in tonight's episode about the location of next season.

Speaking French to the baby. French Quarter?

by Anonymousreply 58201/16/2013

2 down

by Anonymousreply 58301/16/2013

[quote] Speaking French to the baby. French Quarter?

Or anywhere in Louisiana really, since it was a French colony before we bought it from them.

by Anonymousreply 58401/16/2013

Another period piece except it happens much earlier than the 20th century. New Orleans,voodoo and the return of that Frenchette, Lizzie Brochere' as a Cajun of course.....

by Anonymousreply 58501/16/2013

"another clue in tonight's episode about the location of next season."

Hmmmm....well, let's see;

The Monsignor got to be Cardinal of New York. Perhaps New York City in the early 20th century? Jewish mysticism? Gangsters?

With all the smoking going on, perhaps some of the cigarettes are Salems?

Jude was playing "Candyland"---maybe Hershey, Pennsylvania? ( ok, that's a bit of a stretch)

The sheriff alluded to Kit's "polygamy" with Alma & Grace. Perhaps Utah & Mormons are involved in the next season?

by Anonymousreply 58601/16/2013

The Flying Nun took place in Puerto Rico.

by Anonymousreply 58701/16/2013

And Puerto Rico is where they transferred the Mother Superior who helped Lana escape after Jude asked for her help.

by Anonymousreply 58801/17/2013

OMG, the minute Frances Conroy opened her mouth I got the biggest grin. That was a hilarious performance, I loved it.

Boy, Kit can't catch a break, huh?

by Anonymousreply 58901/17/2013

For the first time in the entire first and second seasons I'm confused. So the aliens are real and actually did bring both girls back to life with babies? I thought it would turn out to be in Kit's head. If they are going with it being true, that would be disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 59001/17/2013

[quote] OMG, the minute Frances Conroy opened her mouth I got the biggest grin. That was a hilarious performance, I loved it.

Absofuckinglutely. Frances Conroy deserves an Emmy for this performance. She was magnificent.

See, the difference between a Lily Rabe being Lily Rabe performance, and this Frances Conroy performance, is that she provided comedy and drama, without being campy. Her character was 100% believeable - and I have no idea where it came from.

Conroy usually plays quiet, demure, and soft-spoken characters, but in this episode, she acted the hell out of the part, and I was in heaven. It was so enjoyable to watch. She even topped Jessica Lange.

Although, Jessica also deserves an award for that captivating performance in the doctor's office. Her vulnerability and strength, and the way she went in and out between crazy and keeping it together, was really something to behold.

Ryan Murphy really has a GOLD MINE of acting ability with Conroy and Lange. These two ladies are superb.

Ordinarily, Quinto, Paulson, James Cromwell, Lily Rabe, and Joseph Fiennes would shine in their roles, but in this instance, they are eclipsed by Conroy and Lange.

Julianne Moore won the GG, but she'd better not win the fucking Emmy, because there has never been a more deserving winner than Frances Conroy. And Ryan Murphy had better submit this clip of Conroy as her demo.

I also give kudos to the production crew, who took the viewer in and out of Jessica Lange's head, with the close ups and the far out shots, and the overall "crazy" feeling, to give us an idea of what a mentally ill person really goes through.

This was one of the most well done episodes of ANY show that I've seen in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Oh, and seeing Evan Peters' meaty thighs and bubble butt in the tighty whities, didn't hurt one bit either!

by Anonymousreply 59101/17/2013

Julianne Moore already won the Emmy for her Sarah Palin last year - she won't be in competition again this fall.

But I bet Murphy puts Lily Rabe in for a Supporting Emmy as well as Conroy - that's what happened after the first season when he submitted both Conroy and Lange in the same category. Lange, of course, won.

by Anonymousreply 59201/17/2013

Yeah Conroy will be Supporting and Lange this year is lead. And SAGS please honor this cast.

"I'm the Queen of Candyland!"

by Anonymousreply 59301/17/2013

Paulson is easy to hate, but I think she's doing well. Her Tuesday Weld line was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 59401/17/2013

So Jude just imagined the last 2 years? I guess that means that "Smart Pepper" was only an imaginary friend?

Was Frances Conroy a fellow patient all along, and Jude only imagined her as the angel of death? I'm so confused.

by Anonymousreply 59501/17/2013

r595 I have the same questions! Thank you for posting them.

Could someone start thread three and then link to it, please? I am having issues w/ my credt card validation.

by Anonymousreply 59701/17/2013

R595 She's actually the angel of death. She imagined that she became her roommate and that Pepper was still alive. That scumbag priest also left her to rot there as well.

by Anonymousreply 59801/17/2013

It's time to create a new thread, since these max out at 600 posts or so.

by Anonymousreply 59901/17/2013

Move the discussion along to here now please, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 60001/17/2013

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

by Anonymousreply 60101/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!