Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How Does Tim Burton Achieve That Blood-Drawn "Pale" Face Look For His Films' Promo Photos?

I'm sure today they do it with computers, but twenty years ago, back around the "Batman Returns" movie, Tim started doing the "white face" thing for all his promotional photos.

While they could have been simply airbrushed the faces white, it looks like it was done with a specific lighting technique. It doesn't appear that the actors had their faces' painted white (in person, or in post). It looks like it's a major flash from the camera, a blast of light, perhaps done in a pitch black room.

The "Batman Returns" posters were very startling. I'm have no knowledge of photography, and especially photography back in the early 1990s, maybe someone knows the technique that was used.

One last thing, there are outtake photos from the "Batman Returns" photo shoot, while the actors don't look "as" white, they still appear to be very pale. Maybe they used light reflective makeup?

I'm curious if anyone knows. I'd love to know who the photographer was. I tried to find out, but no luck.

FWIW, Burton's photos are just boring now. He overdid the "white face" for far too long, just as he overdid the stitched up look too. It's off-topic, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012

Here's an outtake. The flash and whiteness just seems to get brighter and brighter. It does look like a really high-intensity flash, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 111/16/2012

A screen cap. Maybe they did paint their faces.

by Anonymousreply 211/16/2012

You can see the natural skin up in the eyebrow area. It looks like kabuki makeup was applied, albeit poorly. If the face was painted in post, surely they would have caught the brow bit.

by Anonymousreply 311/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 411/18/2012

That is Not natural skin by eyebrow. It's a shadow.

They use super heavy makeup to draw in features and then overexpose the film which washes out details. Simple trick.

by Anonymousreply 511/19/2012

R5, like white clown makep? It's a cool effect.

by Anonymousreply 611/19/2012

"Over exposure" of the picture is the trick. It not only lighten the skin, it reduces wrinkles and other blemishes.

by Anonymousreply 711/19/2012

That's more than just overexposure though. I remember they had to constantly replace the Catwoman posters because they kept b"getting stolen. It cost the studio plenty. There are people that have the subway sized poster framed and mounted in their upscale homes and apartments. It actually looks pretty chic. It certainly will get a reaction.

by Anonymousreply 811/19/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!