Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Michigan people

What is the difference between the University of Michigan and Michigan State University, culturally and status-wise?

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012

If you want a good education go to the University of Michigan, if you want a good party go to Michigan State.

by Anonymousreply 111/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 211/15/2012

please. as my UM grad grandmother used to tell me "Ann Arbor is the center of the universe. Lansing is a COW college town!".

by Anonymousreply 311/15/2012

Isn't UMich practically an Ivy?

by Anonymousreply 411/16/2012

Michigan world class business school world class law school world class cultural events diverse, liberal community

Michigan State world class agricultural school conservative culture small-town atmosphere

take your pick

by Anonymousreply 511/16/2012

I went to Michigan State. It is NOT a party school. People party hard but WORK hard. The campus was very serene, actually.

UMICH is more prestigious than State is and is ranked higher.But State is hardly a party school. @r1

by Anonymousreply 611/16/2012

Univ of Michigan is ranted as one of the Top 25 universities in the country (ranked comparable to Duke, Georgetown, and that DL favorite, the University of Virginia.

Michigan State is a land-grant institution. It has a good engineering program, strong agri-related studies.

by Anonymousreply 711/16/2012

r7, MSU also has a highly-rated Hospitality program, a world-class Packaging program and a pretty decent MBA program. I think their turf management program is considered one of the best in the world.

by Anonymousreply 811/16/2012

Mich State used to have a program for child geniuses that was really good.

Michigan is overrated, MSU underrated. As places to live, they are roughly equal. Ann Arbor is more liberal but Lansing is bigger.

by Anonymousreply 911/16/2012

I heard that about their Packaging program -- and then I said, "What kind of major is Packaging?"

by Anonymousreply 1011/16/2012

I like my Spartans with BIG packages!

by Anonymousreply 1111/16/2012

which one has the biggest average cock size?

by Anonymousreply 1211/16/2012

U of M: Law School, Med School, Football and Lesbians

MSU: Agriculture, Social Science, Basketball and Babes

by Anonymousreply 1311/16/2012

Ann Arbor has a better gay bar (Necto)

by Anonymousreply 1411/16/2012

UM is one of the so-called "Public Ivies," probably secondly only to Berkeley. I think everyone is aware it's a top school.

by Anonymousreply 1511/16/2012

Oh great!

Another "status queen" on DL.

Your insecurity can be seen from space.

by Anonymousreply 1611/16/2012

r10, just think about how much stuff is packaged. Pretty much every consumer product. I'm sure the job security is good, as well as the income.

by Anonymousreply 1711/16/2012

by Anonymousreply 1811/16/2012

I grew up right outside of East Lansing, and my swim coach back in the day was a guy who was going to MSU for packaging. I remember thinking it was a stupid major too--it seemed so random--but I still remember my mom telling me, "Are you kidding!? Do you have any idea how much he'll make if he's good at it? SOMEONE has to design all the packaging our stuff comes in!" And I never looked at it the same way again!

by Anonymousreply 1911/16/2012

Yes, Packaging is a degree. I knew a guy who recieved a degree in Packaging from MSU - biggest asshole you'd ever meet. Homophobic, Republican, wanted to be a male model...

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

Do they still have the Naked Mile run?

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

Yes they Ann Arbor.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

Pics and video of the Nake Mile, please.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

by Anonymousreply 2411/18/2012

Spent time at both about 10 years ago (M.S. from MSU, PhD from UM). Loved living in both towns. Ann Arbor is great with one consolidated and vibrant downtown, but often I found it overrated. Lots of rich kids on campus. East Lansing is friendlier, and because it's in a larger metro area there are numerous downtown areas in various neighborhoods, so things are distributed all around and you have to know where to go to find things. East Lansing could self-promote more. There's a new Zaha Hadid-designed modern art museum on campus there that someday I hope to get to.

by Anonymousreply 2511/19/2012

Disappointed: I thought this thread was going to discuss upper middle-class natives of Michigan. All the ones I've met, though different from each other, have shared similar social affects.

Oh, and Packaging Science can be a fascinating major. I was friends with a bunch of them at RIT.

by Anonymousreply 2611/19/2012

R7 wishes. UMich is ranked 29th, which - while good - does not put it in the same league as Duke (8th). Georgetown has been slipping lately (21st), so that could make sense.

by Anonymousreply 2711/19/2012

The new MSU art museum looks amazing. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 2811/19/2012

One's a safety school for Michigan residents who can't get into any of the Ivies, and the other is the only option for students who would otherwise have to attend community college.

by Anonymousreply 2911/19/2012

[quote]the other is the only option for students who would otherwise have to attend community college.

You're a fucking 'tard.

by Anonymousreply 3011/20/2012

Depends which "Top 25" list you read for public schools...US News has Michigan at #4 this year.

(Behind Berkeley, UCLA and UVa).

by Anonymousreply 3111/20/2012

(Michigan State is #28, so it's hardly an also-ran).

by Anonymousreply 3211/20/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!