Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Auckland, New Zealand

Has anyone ever been? What fun things are there to do? Can anyone recommend a good hotel or part of town I should look into staying? Also, what about gay there any?

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013

It's very nice but if you've been to Vancouver, you've seen auckland. Are you going to be able to travel around NZ or are you only in Auckland? The rest of your questions depend upon your budget. Generally it's nice to be in the Ponsonby area...

by Anonymousreply 111/15/2012

A lot of the NZ gays go to Sydney or Melbourne, Australia if they want to have a fun night...the population NZ isn't that big so the gays are smaller of course in proportion to other places.

by Anonymousreply 211/15/2012

I've been.

Thanks for asking.

by Anonymousreply 311/15/2012

Yes, last year. Frankly, it's a bit of a boring dump. There are some really good (and pricey) restaurants and the harbor is nice if you're into sailing. You're better off, hopping onto a ferry for a 30-minute ride to the island of Waiheke which is amazing with some great restaurants and wineries, and where a lot of Aucklanders have their weekend homes.

by Anonymousreply 411/15/2012

How is Auckland dumpy? I'm thinking of visiting Auckland and Wellington next year.

by Anonymousreply 511/15/2012

"so the gays are smaller of course in proportion to other places"

They're hobbits.

by Anonymousreply 611/15/2012

Well, it's not a particularly inspiring city. Nondescript architecture, not much in terms of culture, the downtown is kind of unexciting, grimy at times. Basically, a provincial backwater forced into becoming the most important city of a country. The rest of New Zealand was fantastic and my partner and I loved it, but we didn't care for Auckland at all.

by Anonymousreply 711/15/2012

Op here, I will have about a week in NZ. Flying in and out of Auckland. It seems like most of you are suggesting NOT to stay in Auckland more than a night or two. Is it Easy to get to some other cool places in NZ? Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

by Anonymousreply 811/15/2012

You need to to go to Rotorua and check out the "Maori microwaves" in some residents' backyards.

Smells like Savannah if you've ever been there and smelled their paper mill.

by Anonymousreply 911/15/2012

Auckland is a boring shithole. It is basically suburbs connected by a motorway and lacking any kind of heart. Some of the suburbs are nice to visit for the day -- especially in the East near the sea. Don't spend too much time in the city itself, there are some wonderful places within 20-30 minutes drive. Or, r4 said, jump on a ferry and go to Waiheke. Wellington has a much much cooler vibe, though it is much smaller, and the weather is worse.

by Anonymousreply 1011/15/2012

Yes. The South island is beautiful. Air New Zealand flies to pretty much anywhere in the country. For example, you can take a flight from Auckland to Queenstown which is the swankiest resort town on the South Island, with a lot of things to do and places to explore nearby. We had a car and drove around, went to Te Anau (near which Lord of the Rings trilogy was filmed), took a cruise along the fjords of the West coast of the South island, went to a lot of wineries, some mountain resorts, etc. The North Island scenery is lovely (very different from the South Island) but Auckland is not where you'll experience any of that. In any case, you'll love New Zealand.

by Anonymousreply 1111/15/2012

You can go fishing for some auks, they make mighty good eatin'

by Anonymousreply 1211/16/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1311/16/2012

Y'all shitting on Auckland but it's the only place OP is going to get laid. Let's be frank. Lots of gays on Ponsoby Road. Pretty place, 60 volcanic cones. Things to do like sailing on a racing yacht, the usual adventure sports, etc. Not a long drive from Rotorua with its hot springs or Waitomo with its glow-worm caves. Not too far from Napier, either, for art deco aficionados. Wellington is the capital and very scenic. Just taking the ferry to the South Island is an adventure. You can take LOTR tours there but otherwise it really is dull.

by Anonymousreply 1411/17/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1511/17/2012

OP can easily get laid in Queenstown. It's not called that for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1611/17/2012

You guys are being really helpful. Thanks a lot! Keep the tips coming.

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

Ew, wouldn't an Auk taste all fishy?

by Anonymousreply 1811/18/2012

Sadly, one of my favorite little pubs, Surrender Dorothy with its ruby red walls, closed. In general, bars in Auckland are very friendly little but elaborate boutique places.

Auckland is visually scenic but not much to do, so I disagree with the San Jose comparison in that sense but understand where r19 is going with that. I'm from SF. Would rather live in Auckland than SJO!! Worth staying a night or two to recover from jet lag if needed. Took the ferry to Devonport for dinner. Kind of reminds me of Sausalito with a great views of the bay and city.

Stayed at gay homestay places all over NZ I found on so don't have any hotels to recommend. Great way to meet locals.

If you plan to go to the Northland, I highly recommend staying at this spectacular, gourmet, gay owned place owned by a Maori and his partner, who is a famous chef. Definitely a splurge...

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2013

r12, if you're a cute guy I want to put you over my knee and give you a firm butt friendly spankin.

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2013

I've always called it Toronto on quaaludes.

But it's a great base for exploring a remarkable nation.

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2013

Ponsoby Road is gay central.

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2013

Auckland gay life

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2013

Something to do in Auckland, the world's sailing capital

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2013

Or, stay in Devonport

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2013

Valentine's Day is GEON Art Deco weekend in Napier, but you'd have to rent a car.

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2013

The art deco trust

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2013

Waitomo Caves

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2013

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2013

A Maori tour

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2013

Auckland Museum

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2013

Skyjump or Skywalk

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2013

Built on an active volcano field.

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2013

Op here, Not long before my trip now. I will spend three nights in Auckland and four nights In Queenstown. Any more tips will be helpful. Thanks to all for the helpful hints so far. !

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2013

I went, en route to OZ, which I preferred. NZ is very pretty and very quiet, but there really wasn't that much to do. I ended up skiing for a few days in Rotorua or someplace like that. The skiing was terrible compared to Colorado skiing. I did, however, go bungee jumping off an old railroad bridge, and that was fantastic. I highly recommend that. But: just don't expect too much. It's a quiet, lovely town, but not a whole lot to do.

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2013

With four nights in Queenstown you probably don't have time for the Milford Track, one of the world's greatest hikes.

by Anonymousreply 3702/14/2013

If you like sheep, you'll love NZ.

by Anonymousreply 3802/14/2013

Does Auckland get earthquakes like Christchurch does?

by Anonymousreply 3902/14/2013

For some reason, I'm reminded of an episode of FULL HOUSE where Stephanie and Michelle accidentally get on a plane bound for New Zealand. They start conversing with a boy sitting nearby and ask him where he's going and he replies in his Kiwi accident, "Auckland," and Stephanie turns to Michelle, "Oakland? That's right across the bay. Why don't they just drive there?" XD

by Anonymousreply 4002/14/2013

The tsunami bomb was an attempt during World War II to develop a tectonic weapon that could create destructive tsunamis. The project commenced after US Navy officer E.A. Gibson noticed small waves generated by explosions used to clear coral reefs. The idea was developed by the United States and New Zealand military in a programme code named Project Seal.[1]

by Anonymousreply 4102/14/2013

Yes R39, since it is located on top of 80 volcanic cones.

by Anonymousreply 4202/14/2013

Auckland’s strongest ever known quake was the 1891 Waikato Heads earthquake, which had a magnitude of between 5.5 and 6.0. Yet the only damage was some plaster and a chimney in Onehunga falling and some broken pottery and crockery.

by Anonymousreply 4302/14/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!