Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Republicans to Mitt Romney: Exit stage left

Republicans don’t want Mitt Romney to go away mad but they do, it seems, want him to go away.

That sentiment was in full bloom following Romney’s first post-election comments — made on a phone call with donors earlier this week.

On the call, Romney attributed his loss to the “gifts” President Obama’s campaign doled out to young people and minorities. For many, the comments had an eerie echo of the secretly taped “47 percent” remarks Romney made at a May fundraiser.

“There is no Romney wing in the party that he needs to address,” said Ed Rogers, a longtime Republican strategist. “He never developed an emotional foothold within the GOP so he can exit the stage anytime and no one will mourn.”

Added Chris LaCivita, a senior party operative: “The comment just reinforced a perception — fairly or not – that Romney, and by default, the GOP are the party of the ‘exclusives’. It’s time for us to move on and focus on the future leaders within the GOP.”

Speaking of those future leaders, several of the candidates talked about as 2016 presidential possibilities quickly condemned Romney’s comments as well.

“We have got to stop dividing American voters,” said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. “I absolutely reject that notion, that description … We’re fighting for 100 percent of the vote.”

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker added that the Republican party isn’t “just for people who are currently not dependent on the government.”

The strong intraparty reaction — just nine days after Romney loss the presidential race — speaks to the desire within the professional political ranks of the Republican party to move on as quickly as possible from an election that badly exposed their weaknesses.

The prevailing opinion among that group is that there is much work to be done and that Romney will have a hand in almost none of it. Put more simply: Thanks for playing. Now go away.

by Anonymousreply 4811/17/2012

HA!

by Anonymousreply 111/15/2012

Suck it, Mitt.

by Anonymousreply 211/15/2012

I'm still waiting for my gift.

by Anonymousreply 311/15/2012

Poor Mittens...they're just not "not into you," they think you're a lying, fraudulent creep.

by Anonymousreply 411/15/2012

[quote]Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker added that the Republican party isn’t “just for people who are currently not dependent on the government.”

Asshat.

by Anonymousreply 511/15/2012

I am SO FUCKING GLAD to watch Rmoney's ass disappear into the ozone. And his unctuous family.

by Anonymousreply 611/15/2012

I'm definitely one of those people who was critical of Obama for a long time, but I'm thoroughly enjoying his victory, but in a different way from 2008.

The punch in the face to the rightwing is just so sweeeet.

by Anonymousreply 711/15/2012

The poster who is fearful that Romney will get to run again in 2016 needs to read this article.

Mittens is finished.

by Anonymousreply 811/15/2012

[quote] Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker added that the Republican party isn’t “just for people who are currently not dependent on the government.”

ALL Americans are dependent on the government, you anarchist shitcunt. And so are you for a job.

by Anonymousreply 911/15/2012

R7. You are me. I still wish Hillary were president, but I am enjoying this victory.

by Anonymousreply 1011/15/2012

Mr. Romney made the comments Wednesday afternoon on a conference call with fundraisers and donors, a few of whom allowed reporters to listen in. Later in the day, Gov. Bobby Jindal (R) of Louisiana, new chairman of the Republican Governors Association (RGA), became “visibly agitated” at a press conference when asked about Romney’s remarks, according to Politico.

“No, I think that’s absolutely wrong,” said Governor Jindal, a rising Republican star who is Indian-American, speaking at an RGA meeting in Las Vegas. “Two points on that: One, we have got to stop dividing the American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent. We need to go after every single vote.”

“And, secondly,” Jindal continued, “we need to continue to show how our policies help every voter out there achieve the American dream, which is to be in the middle class, which is to be able to give their children an opportunity to be able to get a great education. … So, I absolutely reject that notion, that description. I think that’s absolutely wrong.”

by Anonymousreply 1111/15/2012

Hayley Barbour said the GOP needs a proctology exam.

by Anonymousreply 1211/15/2012

[quote] I'm definitely one of those people who was critical of Obama for a long time, but I'm thoroughly enjoying his victory, but in a different way from 2008.

Same here. I'm one of those leftist that have major issues with Obama (notably his foreign and economic policies), but I have to admit, I love seeing the Republicans get the smack-down. They've been the bully of politics since the Reagan era and it's wonderful to see them implode before my eyes. Never thought it would happen in my lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 1311/15/2012

Wait - people STILL wish Hillary Clinton was the president?

Let it GO, Gertie.

by Anonymousreply 1411/15/2012

Really it's Karl Rove that needs to be told to get the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 1511/15/2012

The best thing that could happen to the GOP and for the world in general is for Karl Rove, Rupert Murdoch, Rush Limbaugh, Grover Norquist and the Koch brothers to all die in a grease fire.

by Anonymousreply 1611/15/2012

Yes, R14. Hillary. Still. Always.

by Anonymousreply 1711/15/2012

Off with ALL their heads!!!

by Anonymousreply 1811/15/2012

The repubs were suppose to be imploding in 2008. Bush was incredibly unpopular and the Republican Congress, instead of being fiscally responsible as they always claimed, turned out to be bigger spenders than Dems.

There was much hand-wringing and despair that they would become a permanent minority party.

Just two years later they took over the House.

The Repubs aren't going anywhere and they aren't going to change much. Except that they will gag anyone who tries to talk about abortion.

by Anonymousreply 1911/15/2012

I think it's hilarious that all these GOPers have suddenly caught populist religion and are all for the common man. Snort.

They need to tell their talk show hosts who are still going on about mooches and sponges and takers.

by Anonymousreply 2011/15/2012

YOU PEOPLE JUST STOP IT!!!!!!

STOOOOPPPPPPPP IIIITTTTTTT!!!!!!

*steam coming out of ears*

by Anonymousreply 2111/15/2012

R8, they all hated him in 2008 and 2012 and he won their nomination anyway. Nobody can stop him from running again, if he wants to.

by Anonymousreply 2211/15/2012

R22. Wanna bet?

by Anonymousreply 2311/15/2012

I'm 53.4 miles from Belmont, MA. I say we organize a party and buy 100 dozen eggs and go egg Romney's legal residence.

Who's up for it? 1,200 eggs - the more rotted the better.

by Anonymousreply 2411/15/2012

It's a very different situation now, R22. The GOP thought this was going to be a cakewalk; a year ago, they thought retaking the presidency was a sure thing. Romney has proven himself unelectable.

He can run, sure, but he'll never get the nomination again. 332 to 206? That was a sound thumping.

by Anonymousreply 2511/15/2012

After all the money that has been sunk into that joke of a nomination only to have his ass convincingly handed to him, he's way too much of damaged goods to ever come close to the GOP nomination in the future.

by Anonymousreply 2611/15/2012

I had no idea that LuciferTheLightBringer was really Mary Matalin.

Visits the DL, married to Carville. Now it makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 2711/15/2012

[quote]Just two years later they took over the House. The Repubs aren't going anywhere and they aren't going to change much.

That's because at the local level all those rural districts are hard to turn blue and keep them blue (Obamacare anyone?). Urban districts have a lot of people but they aren't in number.

Nationally republicans have a problem. And they know it.

by Anonymousreply 2811/15/2012

From the 47% to ‘gifts’: Mitt Romney’s ugly vision of politics:

by Anonymousreply 2911/15/2012

Romney's cynical, bizare, cultish religion has taught him to be such an ugly asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3011/15/2012

[quote]“We have got to stop dividing American voters,” said Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal. “I absolutely reject that notion, that description … We’re fighting for 100 percent of the vote.”

Notice how the rupubs fight for the vote and the dems fight for the people?

by Anonymousreply 3111/15/2012

R25 Actually anyone worth their salt in the Republican party has kept their mouth shut and stayed out of the spotlight because they don't want to be associated with the Tea Party and before that Bush's policies. Mitt was the best of the worst at a certain point when the GOP believed that Obama was weak they were desperate for anyone but Romney to get the nomination because they knew he couldn't seal the deal. A viable candidate most likely won't appear in 2016 either no one is able to get through the primary.

by Anonymousreply 3211/15/2012

That's a good piece by Ezra Klein at R29.

by Anonymousreply 3311/15/2012

Buh bye, Mitt and take this asshat with you.

sign this petition

by Anonymousreply 3411/16/2012

Signed the petition and gave him a piece of my mind. Le't hear it for MoveOn.org. It has felt really good to find a way to hurt these greedy fuckers where they live.

by Anonymousreply 3511/16/2012

Yes, thanks R29 for that article link - it's right on target.

by Anonymousreply 3611/16/2012

Give it up, Mitt. It was a game of musical chairs. When the music stopped, I think you finally saw what I saw in Tampa: Barack Obama in that big seat.

by Anonymousreply 3711/16/2012

Mitt is getting his just desserts. Maybe he'll slink away. I knew Republicans would cast him out. Part of me wonders if they gave him the nomination so he would lose, shut up, and go away. Moneybags wasn't going to give up until he had his crack at the White House.

by Anonymousreply 3811/16/2012

This loss for Romney signifies so much for him: privileged and didn't think he would be rejected, daddy issues trying to make up for his father's loss in 1968, mr. fix-it thinking he has all the answers, being in charge of so many people for so long--and again being rejected, getting away with it by playing fast and loose on his taxes because the laws don't apply to him.

But guess what, Shitt? We like firing people too.

by Anonymousreply 3911/16/2012

My favorite was Chris Christie's Tweet after the election was called:

"My fellow Republicans: We can now stop pretending that we like Mitt Romney. Hallelujah."

by Anonymousreply 4011/16/2012

Scanning some of those tweets, R40, I'm thinking that's got to be a parody account.

by Anonymousreply 4111/16/2012

When Papa Mitt rides me, I can't help but think he's like a modern day version of the folkloric Headless Horseman, who keeps "presenting" himself resulting in the decapitation of the Republican Party.

by Anonymousreply 4211/16/2012

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking, r31.

The rethugs don't care about PEOPLE, they just care about VOTES. They'll learn to hide their greed in 2016, you watch.

by Anonymousreply 4311/16/2012

That is what it's supposed to look like, R41. But I have a feeling he made it look that way so that he could say the things he can't get away with saying on his official Twitter account.

by Anonymousreply 4411/17/2012

Good lord. It's a joke account, clearly.

by Anonymousreply 4511/17/2012

R19 is right. The worst republican candidates were in lockstep with the party platform, which no one is talking about changing. Watch them cover their nasty social agenda and biases against environmental and other issues, with BS rhetoric.

They will not change. They will capitulate on some budgetary issues because they have no choice, but if they get power again, it will be like the period from 2000 to 2006 all over.

by Anonymousreply 4611/17/2012

The one upside I can see from the Citizens United decision is that there was so much money floating around that everyone could publicize his message, including the super wingnuts. Plus, Mitt was swimming in funds so he could cut that ad for Mourdock. It was their gabbiness on their crazy values that cost them the election.

by Anonymousreply 4711/17/2012

I think they'll continue with the same platform. They'll only amend the immigration part a bit to get enough conservative Hispanics to go along with the rest.

by Anonymousreply 4811/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.